BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry guys. I tried searching this but it keeps taking me to the first page of this thread.

I got my W1070 a week ago from amazon.ca. Loved it until yesterday. It hasn't moved, it's on a table with all vents clear of obstructions. Yesterday, about 2-3 minutes after turning it on, it shut itself off with both the Power and Lamp light solid red. When I turned it back on, I noticed that the fan that you can see from the front was not spinning, but as I was looking at it, it started spinning and I watched about 2 hours with no issues.

Tonight (movie night) popcorn and my wife ready to enjoy a movie, the projector turned itself off again after about 2 minutes of turning it on, but this time the fan is not turning itself on and the projector just overheats again.

I will say that I did since I got the projector, I was running in normal mode. When I checked the hours on the lamp, it showed 33 after about 10 hrs of use. I looked that up and see that they call it equivalent lamp hours (or something to that effect). That being said, I changed the setting to smart eco, and turned the projector off. My problem happened the next time I used the projector.

Am I returning this thing? or is there a little troubleshooting I can do before going there.

Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Still trying to square my projector using the test pattern. The top line length now matches the bottom line length and left and right match too, which is all great. However, the bottom left corner starts about an inch towards the right, so it's not aligned with the top left corner. I attached a pic of what I mean, exaggerating a bit just to illustrate what I am seeing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	483937  

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
Old 01-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 257
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

@sodvepas : That reminds me - you've probably already checked, but perhaps double-check that you're properly in focus on the projector (and that the projector is perfectly square to the screen) since CA can occur if you're out of focus in a portion of the image as well.
sodvepas likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 01-17-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
Still trying to square my projector using the test pattern. The top line length now matches the bottom line length and left and right match too, which is all great. However, the bottom left corner starts about an inch towards the right, so it's not aligned with the top left corner. I attached a pic of what I mean, exaggerating a bit just to illustrate what I am seeing.
It sounds like you need to yaw the pj to the right or in other terms tilt. It's not level so it's pitched. Try taking a photo for us.
bigcat likes this.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
At 11 Feet throw distance, though, It seems the W1070 will output a huge screen, somewhere around 130". Can I use the zoom to bring this down to 106" or less? This is about the largest screen size I think I can fit between my speakers.
According to BenQ's projector calculator here: http://www.benq.com/microsite/projec...tiocalculator/ at an 11' throw distance your screen size can range from 101"-130" so you should be good at 106".

It's important to make sure your projector is centered horizontally to the screen since it does not have horizontal keystone adjustment. Other than that your setup looks good. I sit about 11' from my screen and I have it at about 120" which I think is great, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.
Tommy Mang likes this.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
It sounds like you need to yaw the pj to the right or in other terms tilt. It's not level so it's pitched. Try taking a photo for us.
Thanks bluer101. I attached a photo. Hopefully, that helps. I will try your recommendation though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	485802  

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks bluer101. I attached a photo. Hopefully, that helps. I will try your recommendation though.
Yes, your pj needs to be tilted, rolled to the right. So the right side of the pj will come down and left side up, but that's over exagerated. Then you might have to lens shift the picture down with the screw or move the whole pj down to compensate.

What mount did you end up going with.
bigcat likes this.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, your pj needs to be tilted, rolled to the right. So the right side of the pj will come down and left side up, but that's over exagerated. Then you might have to lens shift the picture down with the screw or move the whole pj down to compensate.

What mount did you end up going with.
Much better after some adjustments. See attached photo. I don't think it's perfect but I can probably live with it. You were right I had to use lens shift in addition to the tilt. I used this mount. Thanks a lot for the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	486065  

Old 01-18-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Much better after some adjustments. See attached photo. I don't think it's perfect but I can probably live with it. You were right I had to use lens shift in addition to the tilt. I used this mount. Thanks a lot for the help.
You over tilted just a hair too much but pretty close. Now you can make the picture just a little bigger with zoom ring and then focus. I have mine so the test pattern is just over the black screen boarder. It is very small this way it fills the screen all the way and very little picture spills into the black, like less than 1/8 of an inch.

That mount looks like a pain in the butt. That's why I was steering you to the peerless mount I have. Yes a few more dollars but the fine adjustment makes it very easy to line up. It has the spider gears and knobs. After I have mine set you just tighten a set screw if you want.

Here is a video.

Last edited by bluer101; 01-18-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You over tilted just a hair too much but pretty close. Now you can make the picture just a little bigger with zoom ring and then focus. I have mine so the test pattern is just over the black screen boarder. It is very small this way it fills the screen all the way and very little picture spills into the black, like less than 1/8 of an inch.

That mount looks like a pain in the butt. That's why I was steering you to the peerless mount I have. Yes a few more dollars but the fine adjustment makes it very easy to line up. It has the spider gears and knobs. After I have mine set you just tighten a set screw if you want.

Here is a video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eskAlVi3xGc
Thanks for the great feedback. Yeah that mount is a pain in the butt, too many moving parts and looks like it would move if you bump into it. Will see how it goes. Amazon didn't have the peerless extension when I ordered so I just got this one. Good point about the test pattern border I was actually going to ask if that could be over the black frame. I will try and make some further adjustments.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 55
What is the best 3D glasses out there?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
@sodvepas : That reminds me - you've probably already checked, but perhaps double-check that you're properly in focus on the projector (and that the projector is perfectly square to the screen) since CA can occur if you're out of focus in a portion of the image as well.
Thank kreeturez!, yeah I need to double-check everything. Do you have any experience will BenQ change this to a refurbished model, because it would be a bummer since this is really new unit? (october 2014)
@xabih : How is your CA problem being handled?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodvepas View Post
@xabih : How is your CA problem being handled?
I report my problem to Benq via website support, they sent me a courier and they carried the PJ somewhere to repair. I will report when it come back.

Mas vale duda que dogma.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone have any suggestions for a low profile mount for the w1070. Ceilings in the basement are only 6'10" so i am trying to keep it as close to the top of the ceiling as possible.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
These have been recommended here so I am thinking of getting them when I am ready for 3d

Old 01-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle85 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for a low profile mount for the w1070. Ceilings in the basement are only 6'10" so i am trying to keep it as close to the top of the ceiling as possible.
In germany it could be an Vogel EPC 6545:
http://www.vogels.com/epc-6545-proje...E#.VL0r5C61XK9
Old 01-19-2015, 08:12 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
In german forum the G15 DLP Glasses are one of the recommendations like these:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/G15-DLP-Link-...item462f42bc54
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith1212 View Post
In german forum the G15 DLP Glasses are one of the recommendations like these:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/G15-DLP-Link-...item462f42bc54
This is the one that i am actually using,i taught something else better than this one.

Thanks!

Last edited by Movie78; 01-19-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I went with these and really like them. I only paid $150 though so the price went up a little.
Comes with a bunch of different nose pieces and charging cords. cleaning clothes. Have only tested 3 of the 4 so far but so far they have been great. I thought they were comfortable as did my two sons. (ages 13 and 16)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0ic (center) ~ Veritas 2.1(Front Wides)
Energy RC-70 & CAT Tiburons(Surrounds)~ Sub 15" Diamond Audio Technology-iNuke 6000

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-19-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Hi guys,

what is the offset for this projector? I have a 106" fixed screen and 8 feet ceiling. Why does the Projection calculator not show it?

Is it because of the lens shift feature? I thought that was limited to a couple of inches of vertical adjustment and not that useful.

Just placed my order for same day delivery. Guys, please let me know if I need a mount extension, I cannot seem to figure out where the image will start. i.e. how many inches from the ceiling to the top of the screen, the top of my screen is about 15 inches from the ceiling. My mount would be 6 inches, plus add 3 inches to the center of the lens, plus 3 inches offset? This would put me at 12 inches, so would I need a 3 inch extension for the mount? Or will the lens shift take care of it?

I got sold on this PJ after reading all day today on the forum, was worried a bit about ambient light performance due to my light colored walls, and since I don't have a bat cave, but hopefully, this PJ has enough lumens to be able to watch during the day with blinds closed. You don't want to have all lights off when watching football for example. I am sure many people are doing just that, would like to hear more on that front.

Last edited by Cataphract; 01-19-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 537
You need blackout shades, first off, not just "blinds" to watch a projector during the day.

Next, if you have lights on, it will degrade your contrast, so your best bet is to make the image small enough so that it's bright enough.

Of course, if you have an expensive screen with gain and ambient light absorption, you can get even better results with lights on, but those screens are quite expensive compared to simply turning the lights off.

A better solution is to buy a cheap TV for daytime movie and sports, and watch the projector at night.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 537
You need blackout shades, first off, not just "blinds" to watch a projector during the day.

Next, if you have lights on, it will degrade your contrast, so your best bet is to make the image small enough so that it's bright enough.

Of course, if you have an expensive screen with gain and ambient light absorption, you can get even better results with lights on, but those screens are quite expensive compared to simply turning the lights off.

A better solution is to buy a cheap TV for daytime movie and sports, and watch the projector at night.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

My question was more so about the projector and it's capacity in terms of producing lumens. This is not my first PJ, and I have had a dedicated HT room before, so am aware of the obvious.

The question is how much light does this PJ throw out, and can I watch football with some lights on/dimmed, does it have enough juice? The contrast would suffer, but that is to be expected. I am asking if the brightest mode it has available is good enough with some lights on.

Thanks!

PS: Have no idea why the fonts are so gigantic in the original post. Tried a few times to edit without much luck. Sorry about that folks.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
My question was more so about the projector and it's capacity in terms of producing lumens. This is not my first PJ, and I have had a dedicated HT room before, so am aware of the obvious.

The question is how much light does this PJ throw out, and can I watch football with some lights on/dimmed, does it have enough juice? The contrast would suffer, but that is to be expected. I am asking if the brightest mode it has available is good enough with some lights on.

Thanks!

PS: Have no idea why the fonts are so gigantic in the original post. Tried a few times to edit without much luck. Sorry about that folks.
Well then it may be obvious for you that such a question has been asked several times in this thread and on the net so a simple google search would yield the obvious question you are seeking.

But if not, here is projector central review with tested lumens.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance

and we watch football games all the time in a living room with multiple windows just with the blind set to close so still plenty of light in the room and the picture is still easy to see and not so washed out but football games tend to be already fairly bright to begin with.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Well then it may be obvious for you that such a question has been asked several times in this thread and on the net so a simple google search would yield the obvious question you are seeking.

But if not, here is projector central review with tested lumens.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance

and we watch football games all the time in a living room with multiple windows just with the blind set to close so still plenty of light in the room and the picture is still easy to see and not so washed out but football games tend to be already fairly bright to begin with.
Thanks! I have read the review, and it is just that. A review.

We come to the forum to hear firsthand from owners, who have similar equipment and use it for some of the same purposes as other would be buyers are thinking about. So why not find out about their experience? Which is the real value, and more so because it is factual to that same type of environment, just as you mentioned in the second half of your post. That was very helpful! That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Now if can someone can comment on the offset question, that would be great too! Is that not an issue anymore with the available lens shift?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is Sunday afternoon with windows and drapes open. Also run my pj in Eco mode.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well my w1070 just came in the mail and I immediately hooked it up to my xbox and threw a white sheet over my wall(my basement entertainment room is not finished yet).

First impressions are amazing playing CoD or watching anything HDTV, thats with it on eco mode, one blind open and a lamp on. Not to mention behind the sheet are two candle holders and a giant clock. So the sheet is about as far from flat as you can get, yet it still looks great and even better with the lamp off and blind closed.

So here is a slight issue I am having, has anyone ran into their comcast/cable service flickering when running through the xbox one? When i have the cable box running to the xbox one then the xbox running to the projector just the HDTV signal will constantly flicker about every second. The menus or games all work fine, if i plug the cable box straight into the projector is also works fine.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So recently got the BenQ and I want to hook my Wii up to it. I've decided I'd prefer to only have an HDMI and power cable going to the projector (using the HDMI switcher in my receiver) therefore I'm in the market for one of those wii to HDMI converters. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with them... in particular I think some simply convert the 480p signal to digital where as other models upscale it to 1080p so I'm debating if I would get a better picture letting the projector upscale vs the adapter.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Here is Sunday afternoon with windows and drapes open. Also run my pj in Eco mode.

Looks Awesome! Thanks for clearing all doubts about this PJ's brightness and lumen capacity! Mine just arrived. Love the next day delivery from Amazon!!

Could you please chime in about my offset question? I have 15 inches from the ceiling where my screen begins. The ceiling is 8 ft, screen size 106". The projector will be about 6 inches from the ceiling with the Qualgear mount from Amazon.

Where would the image start? Do I need an extension for the mount for the 3-4 inches of adjustment issue? Need to see if this mount will work or if I need another one. Is it advisable to use the pitch function of the mount to cover up the 3-4 inch difference, or will that introduce distortion?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I believe the center of the lens needs to be 2 to 6 inches above the top edge of the screen.

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com