BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 362 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10831 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
Looks Awesome! Thanks for clearing all doubts about this PJ's brightness and lumen capacity! Mine just arrived. Love the next day delivery from Amazon!!

Could you please chime in about my offset question? I have 15 inches from the ceiling where my screen begins. The ceiling is 8 ft, screen size 106". The projector will be about 6 inches from the ceiling with the Qualgear mount from Amazon.

Where would the image start? Do I need an extension for the mount for the 3-4 inches of adjustment issue? Need to see if this mount will work or if I need another one. Is it advisable to use the pitch function of the mount to cover up the 3-4 inch difference, or will that introduce distortion?
I can measure mine when I get home. I have 8ft ceilings too. Mine screen is 100 though. Remember from center of lens not projector mount or body. I also use pretty much all the lens shift too to get the pj as high as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
I believe the center of the lens needs to be 2 to 6 inches above the top edge of the screen.

Ok. That would work for me. I am counting 6 inches for mount + 2.5 more inches to the center of the lens, and so if the image is about 6 inches below from the center of lens, that would give me 14.5 inches. My screen is at 15", so it should work.

I was just making sure as I don't know if this mount has a 2-3 inch extension available, and did not want to be out of luck after I installed it.
post #10833 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I can measure mine when I get home. I have 8ft ceilings too. Mine screen is 100 though. Remember from center of lens not projector mount or body. I also use pretty much all the lens shift too to get the pj as high as I can.

That would be great if you could share that info. Here's the dimension for the mount. 6" is just for the mount, I have to add another 2.5" to the center of the lens. Which brings me to 8.5" without any lens shift. As grubadub just said above, the image would be between 2-6" below from that point onwards, so I could easily make up the gap using the lens shift for the 2-3 inch slack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7110k6UVJ-L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	491673  
post #10834 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would be great if you could share that info. Here's the dimension for the mount. 6" is just for the mount, I have to add another 2.5" to the center of the lens. Which brings me to 8.5" without any lens shift. As grubadub just said above, the image would be between 2-6" below from that point onwards, so I could easily make up the gap using the lens shift for the 2-3 inch slack.
Ok I just measured.

My screen is 18 3/4 to the actual screen (white screen material). My lens center to ceiling is 10 inches. Now give or take 1/2 - 1 inch for ceiling imperfections.

So it sounds like you will be fine. I'm actually almost 9 inches above my screen then.
post #10835 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone have the peerless PRGUNV universal mount and knows the distance from the ceiling to the center of the lens on the 1070 with no extension
post #10836 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Ok I just measured.

My screen is 18 3/4 to the actual screen (white screen material). My lens center to ceiling is 10 inches. Now give or take 1/2 - 1 inch for ceiling imperfections.

So it sounds like you will be fine. I'm actually almost 9 inches above my screen then.

Great. Thank you for your prompt reply. I am just about to start installation.

Forgot to ask, is this with our without lens shift?
post #10837 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Great. Thank you for your prompt reply. I am just about to start installation.

Forgot to ask, is this with our without lens shift?
I have my lens shift all the way down to make my pj as high as possible. But you should be fine.

Good luck and post pictures. Just make sure you measure and make sure pj is perfectly square with screen. Center of lens dead center with screen. You can use 2 people and string to measure this too.
post #10838 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a great article to explain the string method.

http://www.hometheatertips.com/2008/...screen-part-2/
hagsi likes this.
post #10839 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok I just measured.

Wow, this is the first I have seen that this projector can be offset this much from the top of the screen. I am ordering a projector in the next few days and wanted this one but was looking like I would have to go to the Optoma 141X to fit my configuration. I have to mount about 11'10" away form the screen in a hush box already built. The top of the screen starts 12" from the ceiling. The center of the lens was going to be about 4" from the ceiling (don't know what mount yet) but I could probably get it as much as 6" from the ceiling.

What I read up to now said that it would only put the lens a few inches above the screen at best but if your saying about 9" then maybe I can use this projector after all??
post #10840 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine51 View Post
Wow, this is the first I have seen that this projector can be offset this much from the top of the screen. I am ordering a projector in the next few days and wanted this one but was looking like I would have to go to the Optoma 141X to fit my configuration. I have to mount about 11'10" away form the screen in a hush box already built. The top of the screen starts 12" from the ceiling. The center of the lens was going to be about 4" from the ceiling (don't know what mount yet) but I could probably get it as much as 6" from the ceiling.

What I read up to now said that it would only put the lens a few inches above the screen at best but if your saying about 9" then maybe I can use this projector after all??

I'm going by what's in my living room. I have to say though that my first w1070 was up even higher than now.

Long story short my first pj developed a bad line in the image less than a month old. I had the lens shift screw all the way down so I can get the pj as high as I can.

So after getting a brand new exchange from benq, I thought all I would do it attach my removable mount, turn the lens shift screw, zoom, and focus. Wrong, I noticed I was about 1-2 inches higher on the screen image. So I had to shift my pj down a little more to get the right height.

This luckily was easy for my the way I built my pj mount. I can adjust my pj up and down very easy. Somewhere back in this thread I think I make a comment about the lens shift being off between my first and second pj.

Just measured from carpet to top of screen. 76-77 inch.
Carpet to center of lens is 84-85. So there you go take an inch or 2 on environment being off a little.

Last edited by bluer101; 01-20-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #10841 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 PM

So how far away from the screen. If it's a 100" screen you can't be more than 10'11'' right?
post #10842 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine51 View Post
So how far away from the screen. If it's a 100" screen you can't be more than 10'11'' right?
Yes, I'm right between 10'9" - 10'11". I just measured but the wife is sleeping so that's a close answer with one person.

I also turned the lens shift from all the way down to all the way up and measured from bottom of white screen to picture. It was 6 1/2 inches of shift. So shift will be different depending on screen size and distance of pj.
post #10843 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 PM

K thanks man.
My setup is so ridiculously close to working or not working due to other factors like a bulkhead parallel to the projector cutting off the beam if i don't get the the projector low enough and keep the screen size down to 110". I would be ordering it from a big box store in Canada that sounds like returns are no problem so I might just go for it and see.
post #10844 of 10857 Old 01-20-2015, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio input using "Audio In" connector for HDMI

I have an old Mac Mini that I'm trying to connect to my Benq W1070 projector.

The Mac doesn't have an HDMI out, only mini-DVI, so I'm using an HDMI converter dongle. Unfor the DVI output is video only, no audio, so to get sound, I need to run a second cable from the headphone jack on the Mac to the audio input jack on the projector.

This worked just fine on my old Panasonic TV. That had a menu option that allowed me to configure a particular HDMI input to use the audio from a separate, analog audio input.

But now that I've hooked up the Benq projector, I cannot find any way to tell it to use the audio in jack for HDMI1 or 2. I can't see why this shouldn't be possible, but haven't been able to find anything in the projector's nebulous menu system that allows me to configure this.

Has anyone tried to do anything similar? Any success?
post #10845 of 10857 Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDom View Post
I have an old Mac Mini that I'm trying to connect to my Benq W1070 projector.

The Mac doesn't have an HDMI out, only mini-DVI, so I'm using an HDMI converter dongle. Unfor the DVI output is video only, no audio, so to get sound, I need to run a second cable from the headphone jack on the Mac to the audio input jack on the projector.

This worked just fine on my old Panasonic TV. That had a menu option that allowed me to configure a particular HDMI input to use the audio from a separate, analog audio input.

But now that I've hooked up the Benq projector, I cannot find any way to tell it to use the audio in jack for HDMI1 or 2. I can't see why this shouldn't be possible, but haven't been able to find anything in the projector's nebulous menu system that allows me to configure this.

Has anyone tried to do anything similar? Any success?
I believe that audio in is only for vga.
post #10846 of 10857 Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenturtle View Post
So recently got the BenQ and I want to hook my Wii up to it. I've decided I'd prefer to only have an HDMI and power cable going to the projector (using the HDMI switcher in my receiver) therefore I'm in the market for one of those wii to HDMI converters. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with them... in particular I think some simply convert the 480p signal to digital where as other models upscale it to 1080p so I'm debating if I would get a better picture letting the projector upscale vs the adapter.
I got a DragonPad brand one and it's worked for great for me. Haven't noticed any huge increase in picture or sound quality, I really just bought it to keep everything HDMI so I can easily split to the projector and TV.

"President Bush is driving on our lawn. He must be lost." (The Simpsons)
post #10847 of 10857 Old 01-22-2015, 01:23 PM

Hello folks. First post in this thread. I had been using my W1070 problem-free for a good year and half when the bulb exploded at a little over 4000 hours. I replaced it with a genuine lamp that I purchased over at Amazon.

The lamp seems OK but my PJ keeps overheating with the new lamp and shuts down with the red power LED and the green temp LED steadily lit. This is happening in both Eco and Smart Eco modes. A quick look through the manual tells me that this indicates overheating due to a fan malfunction. All three fans seem to be working normally, however. I cleaned out all the vents with pressurized air, just to be sure.

I theorized that since I upgraded my firmware a few months back from 1.04 to 1.08, it definitely adjusted the fan speed and made it quieter. I was thinking that with over 3700 hours on my lamp (when I updated to 1.08), perhaps the lamp wasn't as bright (and therefore not running as hot). Furthering that line of thinking, to the new lamp running hotter (and fans running slower), I turned on high altitude mode. This made my PJ sound like an F-16 taking off but alas it still shut down with the same red power and green temp LEDs (despite having the fans run at full speed).

Anyone have any ideas? My PJ is out of warranty and worse, I am in the Middle East and sending either the bulb (which seems OK) or the PJ back to the States is a pain. I am now thinking that perhaps the small bulb explosion inside the PJ may have damaged some internal components. I did end up turning the PJ upside down afterwards and small shards of glass dropped out.

I am stumped. Any help is appreciated!
post #10848 of 10857 Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Too many stories like this...makes me wonder if the thermal sensing circuit for this unit is a little too sensitive. I'll be watching this thread, sorry I don't have any ideas to help you.

bg
post #10849 of 10857 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Liked: 1
There are 4 fans on the W1070. I don't have the link to the post in the thread, but from what I remember other people who had this issue, it was the fan the blows directly onto the bulb. If I rember correrctly this was the one that was hard to find. I haven't openend mine, so I can't be more help.
post #10850 of 10857 Old Today, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

This projector is way too bright in my small room - not light controlled and a 92" screen, bright scenes when the nights are off make you squint. Also the blacks aren't great.

So I got a Hoya HmC 72mm ND2 filter and a Cokin 67-72mm adapter. But they don't fit. The 72mm won't fit inside the lens surround, and the 67mm seems way too small, like it wants to be further in to get a grip, but can't because of the 72mm

Does anyone have any pictures of how their 67mm is mounted?

Last edited by richard plumb; Today at 02:51 AM.
post #10851 of 10857 Old Today, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
WHAT?

For a ND filter, any glass ND filter is fine, if you need it, but most people don't need ND filters with their projector, they just adjust the settings until it is appropriate for your room and screen.
I don't think it is that simple. If I calibrate the brightness I can't go below about 48-50 without black around 16 disappearing. Likewise with white level. So I'm limited in how dark the projector will go. And projecting that onto a 92" screen is IMO way too bright (haven't measured and don't intend to buy a meter, just my families subjective opinion). So we definitely need some way to get the brightness down.

I wish PJ manufacturers wouldn't obsess about lumens and actually put some decent controls in for those that need less light. In some ways the lack of control of ultimate brightness limits installation options I the same way lack of lens shift or throw does - this is really a 100"+ projector

Last edited by richard plumb; Today at 05:19 AM.
post #10852 of 10857 Old Today, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb99p View Post
There are 4 fans on the W1070. I don't have the link to the post in the thread, but from what I remember other people who had this issue, it was the fan the blows directly onto the bulb. If I rember correrctly this was the one that was hard to find. I haven't openend mine, so I can't be more help.
You are right. It is Fan #3 (blower) that is supposedly +/- 25%. I'll disassemble my unit and see where it sits. I hope the connections to it aren't soldered on. Not very adept with soldering.
post #10853 of 10857 Unread Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What are you saying here? You think the fan stopped or is outside its rpm range?
post #10854 of 10857 Unread Today, 02:07 PM

Assuming the bulb isn't bad, then yes, that's what the service manual says. I have no way to test this and neither can I test the blower to see if it is functional or not.

I took my PJ apart. It was a b*tch to keep track of all the screws. Stupid fan was almost at the tail end of the disassembly! The fan is a blower type ADDA AB5012DX-A03. It has a standard PC server type 3 pin connection. I wish I had a mainboard to test it. I ordered one on eBay for $25 from China though you can find it 30% cheaper at some wholesale Chinese stores. I just didn't have the patience to sign up and go through checkout.

I'll re-assemble the PJ in a few weeks when the new fan arrives. If this sucker works, I'll just sell it.
post #10855 of 10857 Unread Today, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 222
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
Assuming the bulb isn't bad, then yes, that's what the service manual says. I have no way to test this and neither can I test the blower to see if it is functional or not.

What lamp mode were you in when your lamp failed? (4000 hours, you said, right?)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #10856 of 10857 Unread Today, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I took my PJ apart. It was a b*tch to keep track of all the screws. Stupid fan was almost at the tail end of the disassembly! The fan is a blower type ADDA AB5012DX-A03. It has a standard PC server type 3 pin connection. I wish I had a mainboard to test it. I ordered one on eBay for $25 from China though you can find it 30% cheaper at some wholesale Chinese stores. I just didn't have the patience to sign up and go through checkout.

I'll re-assemble the PJ in a few weeks when the new fan arrives. If this sucker works, I'll just sell it.
Let me know if you plan to sell your projector.
post #10857 of 10857 Unread Today, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Quote:

What lamp mode were you in when your lamp failed? (4000 hours, you said, right?)
I have always used Smart-Eco.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page