BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 363 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10861 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It looks like 1.05 on W1080ST is the same at 1.08 on W1070. Hopefully if I end up buying a new W1080ST it'll be all set.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have any recommended settings for gaming on a ps4 with this projector?
post #10863 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post
So now you can do 1080 60Hz with those files or still 24Hz?
I always wanted to try getting 60Hz to use the SVP (smooth motion) for 60fps option with MPC or similar but never got the HSBS to work , just weird output.
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this message.

Yes, I am able to select 3D SBS while the media player output / projector input is 1080p 60Hz as long as it is also RGB (Roku 3 is RGB by default)
post #10864 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Liked: 12
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard plumb View Post
Hi,

This projector is way too bright in my small room - not light controlled and a 92" screen, bright scenes when the nights are off make you squint. Also the blacks aren't great.

So I got a Hoya HmC 72mm ND2 filter and a Cokin 67-72mm adapter. But they don't fit. The 72mm won't fit inside the lens surround, and the 67mm seems way too small, like it wants to be further in to get a grip, but can't because of the 72mm

Does anyone have any pictures of how their 67mm is mounted?
I will take a picture of mine this evening and post. I used a 67mm filter and it sets in nicely and hold it in place with adhesive putty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	504705  
richard plumb and monakh like this.

Last edited by bhyde; Yesterday at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added pic w/ filter
post #10865 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nicely done. You can't even tell it'a there.
bhyde likes this.
post #10866 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Installed the projector over the weekend. I can say that I was blown away with the performance! I am coming from an old 480P Infocus 4805 PJ, which has been great to me. I have had it for 9 years, and after a few fixes I made to it, it was still going strong. Albeit HD left a lot to be desired. But say no more!

I watched a couple of movies on Netflix, and the difference of 1080P content is obviously shocking. I have not touched a single setting yet on the PJ yet, except to put the lamp in Eco mode, which is plenty bright for my 106" screen. This was my biggest worry, I wanted a bright PJ, and this one does not disappoint.

I do have to say though that regular DVD's look crappy. I guess a 1080P machine can only do so much with 480P content. May be you all have tips for this. Also, if there are any recommended settings for Cinema/standard modes, please do share. I don't have a calibration disk yet, and may just go with the generally accepted/tested settings.

I also am annoyed with how the projector sound comes on after every on/off cycle, even when I muted it previously. Is that something that is part of the user 1 profile settings? How can I have the PJ remember the mute setting?

Also, the center of the lens ended being around at 8.25" from ceiling for me. My screen is at 15.75" from ceiling, so I had to use the full lens shift, and the image was still about 5 inches above the screen. I had to tilt the PJ a bit to get the image perfectly squared up to the screen. Just an FYI for folks, as I had quite a discussion before the installation and was certain that I would not need to tilt the PJ, but then may be it was not lined up straight to begin with, may be it was pointing up before. Don't know.
post #10867 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Calibration yet to be done on this other than using some of the starting points found on the web. Bright scenes looked great but wow are dark scenes disappointing. I can deal with the grayish blacks as I realize what I get with a projector of this level...but is it possible to make these blacks and shadow detail better?

I was using the finale of "Edge of Tomorrow" as a test and could barely see a thing. My room has no light at all, dark walls, and the screen is Seymour av white 1.2 gain.

I don't have any pro gear to use...any tips on which software or test disc to use to get the dark scenes actually more than a dark blob?
post #10868 of 10880 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well "dark blob" could be a few things...bad settings like under HDMI Format: Auto/PC Signal/Video Signal. You could be crushing blacks and whites depending on what your source is sending to your projector so try that.
Also under the Gamma settings see if you have it set to 2.8 and if so, try 2.4
Also, if I am not mistaken, if you are running the latest firmware, the settings that have been posted from Sound and Vision could be way off. I know on mine, I changed back to defaults and then used my own settings and the image is stunning to say the least.
I am sure others will be able to offer more advice.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #10869 of 10880 Old Today, 07:15 AM

Luis,

Thanks for the reply. Great advice here. Will double check things later today.

I am running 1.08 firmware (I assume that is the latest, but if it's not will update).

I believe I have HDMI format either set to Auto or Video Signal. I assume I don't ever want it set to PC signal (even if sending video in from an HTPC) so I should probably just set to Video Signal and be done with it yes?

Will also verify Gamma, almost sure I had it at 2.4 but will double check. 2.8 sounds way high.

I will say I did use the Sound and Vision settings with 1.08 out of the box, so I assume my next steps should be a reset to defaults, reference mode cinema, and then a basic calibration with Disney WOW or something?

Thanks again.
post #10870 of 10880 Old Today, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Luis,

Thanks for the reply. Great advice here. Will double check things later today.

I am running 1.08 firmware (I assume that is the latest, but if it's not will update).

I believe I have HDMI format either set to Auto or Video Signal. I assume I don't ever want it set to PC signal (even if sending video in from an HTPC) so I should probably just set to Video Signal and be done with it yes?

Will also verify Gamma, almost sure I had it at 2.4 but will double check. 2.8 sounds way high.

I will say I did use the Sound and Vision settings with 1.08 out of the box, so I assume my next steps should be a reset to defaults, reference mode cinema, and then a basic calibration with Disney WOW or something?

Thanks again.
Sound and Vision's setting were for previous firmware versions. All notes say that 1.08 (the most recent) pretty much gives great color out of the box with only minor tweaking needed (if you even notice).

Also, I've found a gamma of 2.2 to look the best with shadow detail. But that's just me.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #10871 of 10880 Old Today, 08:15 AM

Liked: 25
Yes use Disney wow. But don't use the gamma test.

Pc/video changes the full and limited settings. Pc is full which will display all 256 shades of grey. Video is only 16 to 230. So your blacks may be crushing
post #10872 of 10880 Old Today, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
I also am annoyed with how the projector sound comes on after every on/off cycle, even when I muted it previously. Is that something that is part of the user 1 profile settings? How can I have the PJ remember the mute setting?

Also, the center of the lens ended being around at 8.25" from ceiling for me. My screen is at 15.75" from ceiling, so I had to use the full lens shift, and the image was still about 5 inches above the screen. I had to tilt the PJ a bit to get the image perfectly squared up to the screen. Just an FYI for folks, as I had quite a discussion before the installation and was certain that I would not need to tilt the PJ, but then may be it was not lined up straight to begin with, may be it was pointing up before. Don't know.
I've found the same with the mute feature, but turning down the volume all the way seems to stick. I have a 8' ceiling, the center of my lens is ~14.5" from the ceiling, and the top of the image is ~19 1/4" from the ceiling. I had to use the front adjustment foot to lower the image a little. I played with the lens shift feature early on for alignment and then I don't recall how I decided where to leave the lens shift at. I messed with it later to see if it was affecting my chromatic aberration (it wasn't). I don't know how much lens shift I have enabled because I didn't note the factory position of the dial.

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Velodyne F1200
post #10873 of 10880 Old Today, 09:14 AM

Holy cow, how did I miss this -- I had assumed to never use PC but I was probably going about this all wrong. So the proper setting is either auto or just set to PC (regardless of souce) to ensure I am getting full blacks? Never set to video?

The only 3 sources I run video through the projector are an HTPC, bluray player, and an xbox one, all via an AVR of course.
post #10874 of 10880 Old Today, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Holy cow, how did I miss this -- I had assumed to never use PC but I was probably going about this all wrong. So the proper setting is either auto or just set to PC (regardless of souce) to ensure I am getting full blacks? Never set to video?

The only 3 sources I run video through the projector are an HTPC, bluray player, and an xbox one, all via an AVR of course.
i went through the same thing with mine. the hdmi setting defaults to auto and i was getting crushed blacks and whites. it needs to be set to PC which i believe stands for Player Control not Personal Computer (pretty tricky, eh? ). that did the trick for me. gamma set to 2.2 works for me. tweak brightness, contrast and color settings to your preference and enjoy.
post #10875 of 10880 Old Today, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyde View Post
E

I will take a picture of mine this evening and post. I used a 67mm filter and it sets in nicely and hold it in place with adhesive putty.
Hmm. Maybe I should have gone for a 67, but everyone seemed to be recommending 72mm with a step up adapter. 67mm would have been cheaper too.

Anyone using an ND4 or a variable set higher than ND2? ND2 still seems too bright for my taste
post #10876 of 10880 Old Today, 10:13 AM

Liked: 25
All sources need to be the same. So either all limited or all full
post #10877 of 10880 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmueller View Post
I've found the same with the mute feature, but turning down the volume all the way seems to stick.

I tried both as well. Put the sound setting on mute, and turned the volume all the way to zero. It defaults back to like 10 volume or something, and the mute goes away as well when you turn it on the next time. Very annoying!

How is everyone else dealing with it? I would think this would be maddening for all owners. Please post the fix/trick you all are using.

I have 1.08 firmware as well, so it seems like there is not much to tweak other than Brightness and Contrast? I can't complain about the colors, they look great to me. Why create a problem where there isn't one. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
post #10878 of 10880 Old Today, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
i went through the same thing with mine. the hdmi setting defaults to auto and i was getting crushed blacks and whites. it needs to be set to PC which i believe stands for Player Control not Personal Computer (pretty tricky, eh? ). that did the trick for me. gamma set to 2.2 works for me. tweak brightness, contrast and color settings to your preference and enjoy.
What is this setting guys? Should I be setting mine to PC as well?

My Gamma is currently set at 2.4, I had read it here somewhere as the ideal setting.
post #10879 of 10880 Old Today, 01:26 PM

Liked: 1
How is everyone else dealing with it? I would think this would be maddening for all owners. Please post the fix/trick you all are using.

How do you have your video source hooked up to the PJ? Is it going to a receiver? If so, you shouldbe able to tell your receiver to just output video without sound. That is how mine is setup and I have never had to touch the audio controls on the PJ.
post #10880 of 10880 Unread Today, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb99p View Post

How do you have your video source hooked up to the PJ? Is it going to a receiver? If so, you shouldbe able to tell your receiver to just output video without sound. That is how mine is setup and I have never had to touch the audio controls on the PJ.

Mine is going through an HDMI switch. My receiver is old, does not have HDMI inputs, but is amazing at sound reproduction. Yamaha Rx-V 1300, a real Gem! I connect audio through toslink cables straight to the receiver.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page