BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 366 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10951 of 10976 Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalanR View Post
Hi, I just purchased a W1070 last week, and I love it so far, but I discovered an issue with the lens shift, or more specifically, the lens shift lever. One end is broken off, so using a screwdriver or coin won't work. The rest of it seems okay, so should I be able to use it still?
If it's brand new exchange it. If it's used I guess you could use some pliers.
imbloodyskint likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 10976 Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 229
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
I'm shopping for a UPS for my W1070. Does it require a pure sine wave UPS? I'd appreciate some recommendations.

I'm curious about this as well. Real-world reports seem inconclusive...

I've got a high-kVA modified-sine inverter which runs most of my more conventional appliances well (STB's, HTPCs, TV, routers); and have been contemplating running a plug-point extension to my W1070 for safe-shut-downs (and maybe even a bit of power-failure watching ;-).

I know the modified-sine waveform is handled fine by most modern power supplies; but does this include projectors? Anyone here have first-hand experience?

Part of my concern stems from claims (such as here: http://ecmweb.com/content/applying-h...gency-lighting ) that HID light-sources (which would include the UHP lamps within projectors such as this one) are sensitive to this.

Of course, if the projector PSU and lamp ballast is sophisticated enough to begin with, it might be applying sufficient correction such that the lamp still receives a correctly-formed wave regardless...

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 02-19-2015 at 08:36 AM.
post #10953 of 10976 Old 02-19-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been using this for some of my equipment since 2005-2006 with no issues besides a few battery replacement.
post #10954 of 10976 Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Benq has been kind enough to RMA my projector whose fan has grown increasingly louder but seems to come and go (the vibration noise). It can be distracting during quiet scenes at the wrong time as it is ceiling mounted right above the viewing area.

However, the W1070 is perfect otherwise, throws a great picture, and only has around 250 hours on the lamp. I understand Benq typically will return a refurbished unit typically and won't repair the existing.

Would you risk RMAing an otherwise good unit just for the noise, or should I be happy with what I got and leave well enough alone?
post #10955 of 10976 Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Projector before screen questions:

The house I'm having built is currently at the framing stage. There will be pre-wiring for speakers, and an outlet and conduit run to a spot on the ceiling for a W1070. I subscribe to the theory of projecting onto the wall first to help determine the best screen size.

Screen wall is 16 feet wide and 9 feet tall (kind of interesting that's the same as the screen ratio I guess).
Seating will probably be 12-13' away.
Trying to decide between 120" and 135" 16:9 screen.

Looking at the throw ranges from projectorcentral:
120": 10'---11'4"---13'1"
135": 11'3"--12'9"--14'8"
(Are those middle distances the "sweet spot", or just a midpoint?)

I want to try to throw some blocking in between joists before sheetrock (even though they frown upon that). The joists run parallel to the screen wall. Question 1: Would 12' be a safe distance to plan for for either screen size?

Question 2: I assume the mount determines exactly where the lens is placed - i.e. offset to the right and forward a certain distance? Does anyone with the popular Peerless mount know those approx. distances?

This is not my exact room, but the same layout. Floors will be dark wood, screen wall will be charcoal and there will be blinds and blackout curtains.

Thank you very much for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenwallgray.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	556137  
post #10956 of 10976 Old 02-19-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
Projector before screen questions:

The house I'm having built is currently at the framing stage. There will be pre-wiring for speakers, and an outlet and conduit run to a spot on the ceiling for a W1070. I subscribe to the theory of projecting onto the wall first to help determine the best screen size.

Screen wall is 16 feet wide and 9 feet tall (kind of interesting that's the same as the screen ratio I guess).
Seating will probably be 12-13' away.
Trying to decide between 120" and 135" 16:9 screen.

I want to try to throw some blocking in between joists before sheetrock (even though they frown upon that). The joists run parallel to the screen wall. Question 1: Would 12' be a safe distance to plan for for either screen size?

Question 2: I assume the mount determines exactly where the lens is placed - i.e. offset to the right and forward a certain distance? Does anyone with the popular Peerless mount know those approx. distances?

This is not my exact room, but the same layout. Floors will be dark wood, screen wall will be charcoal and there will be blinds and blackout curtains.

Thank you very much for any help.
absolutely
post #10957 of 10976 Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I have the Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount. From the front of the W1070 to the center of the threaded pipe, I measure 4". This particular mount allows for a great deal of play is positioning the projector. I was replacing a projector that had its lens in the center rather than being offset. I was able to center the lens of the W1070 to accommodate its offset lens position without having to move my ceiling mount.
pitpat likes this.
post #10958 of 10976 Old 02-22-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Hey everyone, I just wanted to chime in since I haven't posted here in a while, that I've got my W1070 in its new home : a hushbox which is an old Sony HTPC case with my new VC A-lens attached to it. I watched Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D on it last night and it's incredible using anamorphic 2560x1080 desktop rez, which I'm typing on right now. The projector doesn't even overheat even though it's inside a case and I didn't add any extra fans yet. I will definitely do that when I add more audio insulation inside to actually make the hushbox "hush" properly. Next up is drilling some holes in the base and mounting it back up to my ceiling mount.

After I get this all dialed in and quiet I might update my CA correction shader (although I can't see any CA), using a quick eyeball test I see sharp horizontal lines at the bottom of the 2.37:1 image and at the top. Not bad for a 750 dollar lens. Actually quite good. There is bowing on the sides which is normal because A-lenses distort the geometry, so I might correct that in my MPC-HC shader to really dial things in so that lines are super straight.

The final step will be building a DIY white over silver spandex Scope screen, about 120 inches wide. Then putting my JBL 308s LCRs behind the screen. That will be pretty sweet I think.

For 16:9 content I just use the 4:3 aspect ratio mode even though I lose 33% horizontal resolution, it still looks fine. Vertical resolution matters more than horizontal.

Tonight I'll be watching Sin City : A Dame to Kill for in 3D. Been waiting a while until I got my setup all right.

I'll post some pics of the hushbox + lens setup, after I get it all mounted properly. The cool thing is because it's hanging upside down, I can remove the lid without taking the projector down, to adjust the focus/zoom a bit, although that is a slight pain so I may try to find a way to rig up a way to re-adjust those when it's all closed up. The best part? When I upgrade to a 4K projector, I'll only need to find one that fits inside the case and drill a few new holes, so I can get a budget model that is probably going to be noisier than the more expensive ones. The money I save on the projector is going into an Atmos receiver later this year or next, with more speakers and subs, and couches etc.
wizzack and kreeturez like this.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 02-22-2015 at 08:49 AM.
post #10959 of 10976 Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Just a midpoint.

Quote:
Question 1: Would 12' be a safe distance to plan for for either screen size?
That's about what I would do. Keep in mind, 12' is the LENS TO SCREEN distance, so your wiring should come out around 13' so it is behind the projector, not in front of it.

Quote:
See below, but it seems that it's about 5" from the center of the lens to the top of the mount. The lens is a few inches off center.

I would put some blocking in around 12.5' from the screen for the mount and make sure it covers that area around 6" in every direction so you can put the mount where it needs to go.
pitpat likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10960 of 10976 Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
What color wheels did those plasmas have?
I've always read that RBE was directly tied to DLP / color wheel , mostly single chip because the colors are created sequentially . I know when contrast is really cranked up on my plasma it creates something similar to RBE at the edge between darker and lighter parts of the picture , but I don't think what I've seen is RBE.
The effect isn't the same as with DLP, but similar, related to the scan refresh of the panel. If you glance away from the panel when it's displaying a bright image, you'll sometime see a rainbow-like effect left behind. Again, not the same (with DLP it happens when you're looking right at it), but similar. And you have to be VERY sensitive to it to see it on Plasma, somewhat less so with DLP.
post #10961 of 10976 Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking for some input to be sure this projector will work for me.

It will be in my basement, dimensions: height 6'10", I will sit 13' from the screen with my chairs a foot out from the back wall. Max screen size is 100" diagonal based on where I have to have it.. I prefer to have the projo further away from the screen so it doesn't intrude on the room which means with no zoom 10'11" based on the projector central calculator. It will have to be ceiling mounted. As for the screen, I'm looking at the silver ticket fixed frame AT screen. Will this work? Anything I'm missing?
post #10962 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All,
I have been using my W1070 for about a couple of years now. Love it and the image it puts out for the price. Have any others hooked it up to an xbox one and watched anything on Amazon instant video? Seen a few shows and recently Nightcrawler and there were terrible blue spots during playback. Also the lighting around anything blue looked bad and bled out around the image. Anyone else notice this? This is also when playing back Amazon instant video on my 360 so I take it that it has to do with something that Amazon is streaming. I do not notice this during TV playback through my HTPC or while watching recordings on my 360.
post #10963 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibe29 View Post
I'm looking for some input to be sure this projector will work for me.

It will be in my basement, dimensions: height 6'10", I will sit 13' from the screen with my chairs a foot out from the back wall. Max screen size is 100" diagonal based on where I have to have it.. I prefer to have the projo further away from the screen so it doesn't intrude on the room which means with no zoom 10'11" based on the projector central calculator. It will have to be ceiling mounted. As for the screen, I'm looking at the silver ticket fixed frame AT screen. Will this work? Anything I'm missing?
You typically don't want to put it right at the back edge of the zoom range just in case there are very slight variances in the lens design which introduce distortion at all or even a bit of sizing issues. So, double check your mounting location before you mount.

Yes, the screen size is small - by about 20" - at that distance. But, 100" will still be a very fun size to work with. I'm guessing your space limits your size and there is no way to work around that. If so, then that's the compromise you have to deal with there.

Most reviews of the Silver Ticket screens are good. Speakers I guess are pushing you towards an AT screen... Read reviews plenty to be sure the screen won't introduce a Moiré pattern when you use it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10964 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You typically don't want to put it right at the back edge of the zoom range just in case there are very slight variances in the lens design which introduce distortion at all or even a bit of sizing issues. So, double check your mounting location before you mount.

Yes, the screen size is small - by about 20" - at that distance. But, 100" will still be a very fun size to work with. I'm guessing your space limits your size and there is no way to work around that. If so, then that's the compromise you have to deal with there.

Most reviews of the Silver Ticket screens are good. Speakers I guess are pushing you towards an AT screen... Read reviews plenty to be sure the screen won't introduce a Moiré pattern when you use it.
Thanks for the info! Would I notice the distortion right away if it's too far out? Hopefully that's the case so I can test before I mount.

As for the size, unfortunately that's the biggest I can fit based on how my basement is layed out. I wish I could go bigger, it it's still better than a 70" LCD!

I've been trying out a phantom center but so far it's not sounding as good as I'd like. Hence the thought of an AT screen. Am I losing a lot picture wise by going that route?
post #10965 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Remarkable how hyped this projector and sells like hotcakes because you guys in here give Benq the best advertising.

Here is a head-to-head comparison with another brand. The W1070 doesn't look too good.

post #10966 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 229
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkalz View Post
Remarkable how hyped this projector and sells like hotcakes because you guys in here give Benq the best advertising.

Here is a head-to-head comparison with another brand. The W1070 doesn't look too good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-MNFW5PNk

Right, keep telling yourself

The comments themselves slate that video: neither projector is calibrated. Oh, and a chunk of the video is filmed with the BenQ in 'Anamorphic' Aspect Ratio. I definitely don't see an anamorphic lens there so I can't explain why the uploader would've done that!

The comparison is also moot because the original Optoma HD25 (which was very similar in picture quality to the W1070) being compared to in this video has been out of production for over a year; and the replacements (HD25e/HD26/HD131x/HD141x) have all substituted the original 240W lamp for a significantly dimmer unit - and swapped color-wheels to compensate. So their PQ performance isn't quite as good as the original HD25.

tl;dr: Potential purchasors, please seek advice from professional reviews rather than random 25-subscriber YouTube'rs. Then make an informed decision. (Spoiler: those professional opinions are the reason for the hype.)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #10967 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As do the professional reviewers who have been doing it for years and know what they are talking about.

Quote:
By gosh! You are right! All the professional reviews must be wrong. The direct post calibration reviews comparing the W1070 to a long list of other models and then stating the differences flat out, must be completely bogus.

All of us must be 'advertisers' who are paid right?

Those who have bought two projectors and compared them head to head must be liars?

No, of course not. At the end of the day, the W1070 stands above the rest because it's an amazing projector for the money. There are few reasons not to get it over others in the same price class.

On the other hand, if Optoma still actually made the HD25, I would be happy to suggest it to others because it certainly was the one model Optoma made which really was a great competing model to the W1070.

post #10968 of 10976 Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-MNFW5PNk
That W1070 clearly has not been through even a basic calibration. The white field is strangely yellow in that video, which mine certainly is not. Other than that, the W1070 looks BETTER to me than the HD25 in almost every other respect. The HD25 scenes are horribly oversaturated with a yellow push and ridiculous flesh tones compared to the W1070.

Of course, with a 480P youtube video and dubious camera work, it is tough to really evaluate anything.
rolling01 likes this.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #10969 of 10976 Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalanR View Post
Hi, I just purchased a W1070 last week, and I love it so far, but I discovered an issue with the lens shift, or more specifically, the lens shift lever. One end is broken off, so using a screwdriver or coin won't work. The rest of it seems okay, so should I be able to use it still?

The lens shift screw was really funky on the first brand new unit I had. It looked like somebody didn't know what they were doing and just went to town on it with a screwdriver. I wasn't comfortable since it was "brand new" so I returned it and got another. The screw is 100% fine on this one. Weird.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #10970 of 10976 Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
remarkable how hyped this projector and sells like hotcakes because you guys in here give benq the best advertising.

Here is a head-to-head comparison with another brand. The w1070 doesn't look too good.

u mad bro?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #10971 of 10976 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Weird border around image?

Hey all, I just noticed a strange border around movies with my w1070. My screen is roughly 120 inch diagonal and the border is dark and about an inch wide ... All overscan settings should be correct so I don't know what the hell this is ... Any ideas?
post #10972 of 10976 Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello everyone,

anyone have any idea about what cause this issue in the photo attached.
colors are different and you can see two colors in the guy face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	569017  
post #10973 of 10976 Old Today, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Why did you post this in the w1070 thread, erkel? What was your objective? Are you trying to make us BenQ owners feel bad?

Well, I had the HD131Xe, which is very close to that HD25. And it threw a very nice picture--better, in some ways, than the w1070, especially in terms of black levels. But you know what else?

The Optoma UI was the WORST I've ever seen on a projector, ever. Every time you try to do something you get that giant stupid spinning hourglass right in the middle of the screen, which looks like something from an old 80's era Apple computer. It was very obvious that Optoma had just used their standard business projector UI and it was UGLY.

But much, MUCH worse, was the fact that you could only store your settings a SINGLE time. If you wanted to compare different calibrated settings, as most of us here will want to do--forget about it, you were out of luck. If you wanted to change ANYTHING in the settings--say goodbye to your old settings. It was the most half-as$ed, ridiculous system I'd EVER seen. My Sanyo Z1 would let me store five different settings, and that projector is at least ten years old. I joked at the time that every Optoma should come with a picture of the Optoma CEO giving you the finger, because they obviously couldn't care less about their home theater customers.

This was right about the time that youtube video you linked to first showed up. Maybe Optoma fixed everything I'm talking about with a firmware update, but I kind of doubt it. I'm so glad I had the chance to compare the two. I returned the Optoma and kept my BenQ, and I never looked back.

So if you got stuck with that single save slot and godawful UI ... all I can say is, you have my deepest sympathies.
post #10974 of 10976 Old Today, 10:46 AM

Liked: 10
So I have been enjoying my new w1070 for a few weeks now. I was trying to find out how normal it is to not be able to quite get the whole picture in focus all at the same time?? This is my first projector so i don't have anything to compare it to. I notice it when using my Htpc and the text at the bottom left corner of the screen is just a little less sharper than the rest and if iI sharpen it it suffers elsewhere. Usually the top right. I move the wheel as llittle as i can.
post #10975 of 10976 Old Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine51 View Post
So I have been enjoying my new w1070 for a few weeks now. I was trying to find out how normal it is to not be able to quite get the whole picture in focus all at the same time?? This is my first projector so i don't have anything to compare it to. I notice it when using my Htpc and the text at the bottom left corner of the screen is just a little less sharper than the rest and if iI sharpen it it suffers elsewhere. Usually the top right. I move the wheel as llittle as i can.
For a budget projector I'm afraid it is what it is.

Mine is the same way same corner. My first 1070 was in a different place.
post #10976 of 10976 Unread Today, 06:53 PM

Liked: 10
K thanks. I won't worry about returning it then.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page