BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 371 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11101 of 11109 Old 03-30-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
I thought I would post my 2.4:1 W1070 setup to this thread in the off chance someone might find it interesting.

I had the perfect spot in my basement of my new house for a 2.4:1 screen. Unfortunately the common "solution" was to get a CIH lens that would go over the front of the projector to stretch the image when I wanted 2.4:1 and then move out of the way when I wanted 16:9. Those lenses cost a LOT of money and were totally out of the question.

Unfortunately the W1070 does not have enough zoom to display both native 2.4:1 and 16:9 on the same screen when mounted in a fixed position. I decided to make things overly complicated and constructed a sliding projector mount that allows me to move the projector enough to view both on my screen for ~$0 cost.

I just finished everything up yesterday and have been really enjoying the outcome. Please ignore the "paint" job on the mount. I got a defective can of paint and will be refinishing it at a later time. Also ignore all of the cords everywhere. I set things up for a quick test run, not as a final solution.

Testing my frame.

Finished 2.4:1 screen.

2.4:1 Guardians of the Galaxy test. Note that there is a window letting light into the room just off to the right of the picture. This was taken about an hour ago (4PM).

Position of projector in 2.4:1 mode.

Elf in 16:9.

Projector in 16x9 mode.
Excellent set up...

Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11102 of 11109 Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys, i have noticed a weird issue with my benq w1070, not a problem at all, but i wonder if this is normal. I have my PJ ceiling mounted, with pj position ceiling in the menu, when i switch it to front in the settings(the image shifts upside down, as it is ceiling mounted), the projector runs quieter, is this normal? Any1 can test this? Just change projector position in the menu and let it run for two minutes, is it a bit louder in ceiling and quieter in front mode? Thank you!
post #11103 of 11109 Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunadan84 View Post
Sorry for quoting myself but I could not find the edit button
I just wanted to say that I reinstalled 1.08 successfully but the problem is still there. So, I guess the only way I have to fix it is to downgrade the firmware but I am not sure if it is possible. Any of you guys have done it successfully?

Thanks in advance!
What if it's only a connection Problem between the HDMI Plug and the socket?

There was a Design mistake from Benq at the Case of the PJ, the HDMI sockets are not flush with the case, they are a little bit inside the Case so some HDMI Cable Plugs won't get in far enough.

Try a cheap HDMI Cable, cut the plug with a knife that it can fit deeper into the Case deeper into the socket.

greetings Auric
post #11104 of 11109 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post
What if it's only a connection Problem between the HDMI Plug and the socket?

There was a Design mistake from Benq at the Case of the PJ, the HDMI sockets are not flush with the case, they are a little bit inside the Case so some HDMI Cable Plugs won't get in far enough.

Try a cheap HDMI Cable, cut the plug with a knife that it can fit deeper into the Case deeper into the socket.

greetings Auric
Thanks a lot for your help! I had no idea of that issue. I will try what you suggested but I am afraid it will be related to the firmware instead of the HW as it worked fine with the previous one (1.02) using the same connectors
post #11105 of 11109 Old Today, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mines at 2500 hours and still looking good. bought last june, hoping I can get about 2 years out of each lamp.
post #11106 of 11109 Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 25
two questions before moving in at the end of the month:

If I wanted to try out two different image sizes before deciding on a screen, should I just get two different lengths of threaded pipe to connect the ceiling mount? Maybe just start with the correct length for the larger image and I might not need to buy the other size at all.

The walls are currently a light beige, but I picked out a charcoal for the screen wall ( http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...products&p=PS0 ). Can the 1070 project a decent image on dark grey or am I better off waiting to paint that wall?
post #11107 of 11109 Old Today, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
two questions before moving in at the end of the month:

If I wanted to try out two different image sizes before deciding on a screen, should I just get two different lengths of threaded pipe to connect the ceiling mount? Maybe just start with the correct length for the larger image and I might not need to buy the other size at all.

The walls are currently a light beige, but I picked out a charcoal for the screen wall ( http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...products&p=PS0 ). Can the 1070 project a decent image on dark grey or am I better off waiting to paint that wall?
Just a quick answer to your questions.

1. Use PVC Pipe with threaded end caps it is much easier to cut/change length and just as strong.

2. You can project on any color wall but it will influence color, grey is somewhat neutral but keep in mind the darker it is the duller the picture.
If this is temp while choosing your screen size should be fine.

Cheers
pitpat likes this.

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 |TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Titanic Mk 10"
post #11108 of 11109 Old Today, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Guys, i did a detailed side by side comparison with my 65 inch Panny plasma (had both displays running same content at the same time)

I tested SD, HDTV, Bluray etc. For me it is only in the dark scenes where the 1070 falls short, really can't see what is going on anywhere near as clearly on the plasma. to combat this, i've customised my User 2 settings purely for dark scenes (increased brightness and contrast a bit and gamma at 2.2)

Definitely helps and can change the setting with one button just for dark scenes in movies

Not ideal i know but oh well, nothing's perfect

With regular content, the 1070 rocks !
post #11109 of 11109 Unread Today, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
are there known good calibration settings for the 1.08 firmware?

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page