BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 372 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If BenQ could release a low cost anamorphic lens attachment, then they would make me a very happy man for a very long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
If BenQ could release a low cost anamorphic lens attachment, then they would make me a very happy man for a very long time.
It wouldn't need to be Benq, just anybody. Of course, an A-lens really needs a sled, and mounting a sled becomes projector or at least "mount" dependent. So ideally, someone would make an inexpensive A-lens with a manual sled and universal mount all included for $200 or so.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Old 04-16-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by syvmn View Post
Projector in 16x9 mode.

Hi there @syvmn , I just looked at this again to suggest to another user to try it, but I wanted to comment about this picture. If I were you, I'd take the stress off those ports from gravity because the HDMI plugs are not that strong and the connection can deteriorate. I would instead use a short HDMI wire and power plug, attached to another hdmi female-female socket / vent attached to the base on the ceiling, and plug your other wires to that. Then run the length of those wires to the back wall instead of letting them hang down. You've probably done something like this already, but please, don't let that HDMI cable hang directly like that! It will not last.

Also another note. Masking. In 2.37:1 mode, you could add some black pieces of wood with black felt material to mask the light bleeding out. Or course your main issue then are the white ceilings and walls reflecting your projected image all over the place, which then goes back into the image which then smears the colors and lowers the contrast (which let's face it, isn't super great on these projectors already). I suggest painting the ceiling black / brown / dark blue, at least (if not both ceiling and walls). Or you can do something cool like put black drapes on the walls leading up to the screen, that's what I have in my theater room and everyone agrees it's super classy and looks nice too. (Plus you can retract them during the day or when you don't want them there). I haven't painted my ceiling black yet but I will eventually.

You can also get some black felt material and thumbtack it into the ceiling/walls in the immediate vicinity around the screen to improve contrast, if you don't like the idea of painting.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
It wouldn't need to be Benq, just anybody. Of course, an A-lens really needs a sled, and mounting a sled becomes projector or at least "mount" dependent. So ideally, someone would make an inexpensive A-lens with a manual sled and universal mount all included for $200 or so.
Not gonna happen. Ask CAVX or the other lens guys how costly it is to make decent lenses. Prisms are cheap, but their quality leaves a lot to be desired. Plus they are bulky.

What I think is much more likely is that the market will eventually shift entirely over to laser projectors that have no optical elements and thus are focus-free, and can alter their beam / zoom to any arbitrary aspect ratio, like an old CRT you could adjust the height and width of the electron beams independently. That way you don't need lenses at all (anamorphic or not). You could even alter the aspect ratio in software. Let's say you detect an incoming signal of 2560x1080 or 1920x810 (say, letterbox Blurays) instead of 1920x1080, the projector could automatically either cut off the letterbox scanlines, or scale up to 1920x1080 vertically then scale back down to 2.37:1, or if given 2560x1080 it could scale it down internally to 1920x1080 but then stretch it back out by expanding the laser beam dispersion. (or scale it down vertically, which gives the same result, except a change in zoom).

My prediction is that pico projectors, once they can get their lumens up, will destroy the traditional projector market, at least in the consumer space. Low persistence, low blur, perfect blacks, great colors, no focus, perfectly quiet, portable, low cost, wireless, eco-friendly...you could even adjust the geometry to align the laser beams to perfectly fit your screen from a wide variety of angles, doing effectively perfect keystone correction in software. At that point you could even put markers or lights on your wall, and have the projector realign its beams in realtime so you could hold the pico projector in your hands as you walk across the room, and it could automatically adjust itself on the fly to keep projecting into the target screen area. Now that would be a neat trick, wouldn't it. Just need a camera in the projector to see the markers on the wall or even do some image recognition on the rectangle of your screen and then re-spec its internal corner points in 3D space accordingly. The maths behind that are fairly straightforward high school stuff.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 04-16-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So how common are dust clouds on these projectors? Finally got mine setup and only in COMPLETELY dark scenes do I notice 6 very very light (gray or white colored) dust motes in the picture. Almost completely invisible, but noticeable.

I've seen some absolutely horrendous dust clouds, but I am just curious if I should return this projector for another, or are there generally always dust motes in every projector?
Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Double post...

Last edited by wings516; Today at 02:14 PM. Reason: double post

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector