BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11311 of 11322 Old 06-25-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletwals View Post
Is this still more or less the best projector for the money?

I am finishing a big multifunctional (black) space in our new house build. I have a big scope screen (55" height) ready to install for which the Sony VPL 500/600 would be awesome but the budget doesn't allow it yet.

My thinking is to get the BenQ and use it in 16/9 only while saving up ASAP for the great Sony. Alternatively, I could spend about 2K on the Sony HW40 and do a little longer with it if that is suitable for 2.35/1. The house is for the weekends/holydays only during the next few years until it's completely finished, BTW.

One more question: the projector will mounted against the ceiling. I reccon it's necessary to use a mount and upside-down?
I was hoping to make a U-shaped shelve against the ceiling and put it on the shelve, upside-up. That's no go, right?
If, for whatever reason you got a scope screen, then you should be looking at the Panasonic AE8000 which has the zoom range, and a motorized zoom feature to deal with the two different image sizes you will need to deal with.

No chance I would go with the W1070 and a scope screen. You didn't buy a 2.35 projector, so using a 2.35 screen always requires some extra thought and effort and a serious case of 'does this make sense?' before buying.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11322 Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You are probably right. The Panasonic PT-AT6000E as it's called in EU can be had for €1,500 these days. Lens memory is definitely nice to have. It's the main reason why I would not consider the Sony VW350.

Building a 9.2.6 HT with ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR and 12 Beta 10CX coaxial satellites.
5.1 B&W CM7/CMC/CM1 REL SW • XMC-1 • XPR-5 • Oppo 83SE-NE • ATV
post #11313 of 11322 Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletwals View Post
Is this still more or less the best projector for the money?

I am finishing a big multifunctional (black) space in our new house build. I have a big scope screen (55" height) ready to install for which the Sony VPL 500/600 would be awesome but the budget doesn't allow it yet.

My thinking is to get the BenQ and use it in 16/9 only while saving up ASAP for the great Sony. Alternatively, I could spend about 2K on the Sony HW40 and do a little longer with it if that is suitable for 2.35/1. The house is for the weekends/holydays only during the next few years until it's completely finished, BTW.

One more question: the projector will mounted against the ceiling. I reccon it's necessary to use a mount and upside-down?
I was hoping to make a U-shaped shelve against the ceiling and put it on the shelve, upside-up. That's no go, right?
You can set the W1070 up for a 2.35 screen in two ways:

1) Slide an anamorphic lens in front to expand the 112" 16:9 image to the 142" 2.35 image the same height. Anamorphic lenses are expensive but can be re-used with many different projectors. You will have more resolution and more light on the screen that the "zoom" method below, but the extra resolution will be "created" by the W1070 scaling engine. You can also choose to build your own anamorphic lens for under $100 but it will not be as good as a professional lens. Is it good enough to suit you at least temporarily ? Up to you. DIY Anamorphic Lenses Using Trophy Prisms
DIY Anamorphic Lens
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

2) The "zoom" method. Build a mount for the W1070 that allows the entire projector to be rotated around pivot points such that it can be "forward" with a 12' throw and lens 12" down from the ceiling but can be rotated down, then "back", and then up so it is at 13' throw and 2" down from the ceiling (essentially flush to ceiling in the "back" position). Then just use the zoom lens on the projector to fill the screen side to side and let the "black bars" top and bottom spill above and below the screen. The actual image resolution is only 820x1920 but it is all "real" resolution with no scaling, and you only get 75% of the light from the projector because the "black bars" still exist above and below the screen and contribute no light to the actual movie image. The resolution and light loss is true no matter what 16:9 native projector you are talking about.

Either method is more "trouble" and more "manual" that the Panasonic's lens memory. And the Panny has slightly better dark detail. But it also lacks the brightness of the W1070, the gaming speed of the W1070 if that is of interest, and it shows screendoor effect compared to the W1070. If 3D movies in 2.35 are desired, the Panny really is not bright enough for your screen size. The Panny is also $800 more than the W1070.

As to mounting, the W1070 must be upside down if setting up high. It can be mounted to the underside of something like a shelf or something like this:

and then set up on a shelf if you don't want or can't use a traditional ceiling mount.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub

Last edited by dreamer; 06-25-2015 at 10:25 PM.
post #11314 of 11322 Old 06-25-2015, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay, thanks. Let me think about it.

There's no substitute for cubic inches.

The more you know, the less you know that you know.
post #11315 of 11322 Old 06-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
W1070 problem

Hello everyone

Can someone knowledgeable or who has previously experienced similar problem, please help diagnose the issue I'm having with my beloved Benq 1070?

My W1070 was functioning fine since installing it last August, but over the last few weeks, something is not right. After about 20 minutes of operation, faces on the screen take on overly saturated hues and tones, objects in background develop concentric/oval halos, accompanied by some flickering. It becomes quite unwatchable after a few more minutes. The projector does start sounding a bit high pitched as the picture is distorted, but there is no red or blinking light that comes on.

After hitting the stop button, the sound alternates between high and low pitched whine, as the picture flickers quite a bit before settling down gradually.

If I shut down the projector for a few hours, it works fine the next time it is turned on...for 20 minutes or so...and things start to go downhill again.

I have attached pictures depicting some of the symptoms described above. After a few hours of observation, it does seem that the fan, or some other part of the cooling system (blower?) might be going out.
The projector is ceiling mounted (not flush) and has plenty of room for ventilation; the room is kept at a constant temperature of 75 F.

I bought this unit directly from Benq barely a year ago (it went out of warranty just under a month ago), the lamp has registered only about 350 hours. It came with firmware 1.08.

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w1070.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	799906   Click image for larger version

Name:	w1070_2.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	800354   Click image for larger version

Name:	w1070_3.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	800362  

Last edited by mega129; 06-28-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: refining issue description after further observations
post #11316 of 11322 Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody can help? Thanks a lot.

I got my W1070 for several months and recently get ready to enjoy the 3D feature of the PJ. I'm very satisfied with the performance when it works. I found it works for all of the side by side format movies. However, for some movies I couldn't observe any 3D effect and only terrible ghosting if I switch the 3D to side by side or top and bottom. I'm wondering the source has some different 3D format? The most weird thing is that when I entered the 3D setting, I could only choose among off, side by side and top and bottom. The Auto, sequential frame, and the other one (I cannot remember the name) are grey and cannot be chosen. Anybody know how to fix this? TIA
post #11317 of 11322 Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by llev View Post
Anybody can help? Thanks a lot.

I got my W1070 for several months and recently get ready to enjoy the 3D feature of the PJ. I'm very satisfied with the performance when it works. I found it works for all of the side by side format movies. However, for some movies I couldn't observe any 3D effect and only terrible ghosting if I switch the 3D to side by side or top and bottom. I'm wondering the source has some different 3D format? The most weird thing is that when I entered the 3D setting, I could only choose among off, side by side and top and bottom. The Auto, sequential frame, and the other one (I cannot remember the name) are grey and cannot be chosen. Anybody know how to fix this? TIA
The first thing to do is make sure your 3D bluray player is connected directly to the W1070. That will eliminate any difficulty in the AVR. If it works when the bluray is playing directly to the W1070, then the problem is the AVR. If it still does not work, then it is the bluray player or the W1070. But you must be sure the AVR has first been eliminated to narrow down the problem. I don't use 3D (or even like 3D), so I can't help you other than the same steps any troubleshooting requires. If your source is not bluray disc, or you are playing through your computer or PS4 or something, then there are even more layers to check. You must check all setting on every step from the source to the projector.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #11318 of 11322 Old 07-03-2015, 08:24 AM

Liked: 0
Hello Everybody. I'm new here. Just got some Questions about this projector. I've Never Owned a Project .

I'm planning on using the Projector to Play Some PC Games like Fifa and NBA 2k ,Watch Some Movies and Sport. IS This good for that?

I'm Also planning on using a coffee table to put the Projector on is that OK?
post #11319 of 11322 Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckets21 View Post
Hello Everybody. I'm new here. Just got some Questions about this projector. I've Never Owned a Project .

I'm planning on using the Projector to Play Some PC Games like Fifa and NBA 2k ,Watch Some Movies and Sport. IS This good for that?

I'm Also planning on using a coffee table to put the Projector on is that OK?
The w1070 is great for games, sports and movies (fast response, great motion-handling, and a very crisp+accurate picture).
With its zoom range you can easily set it for a fairly short throw-distance that works better than most from a coffee table.

About how far from the wall will the table be?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #11320 of 11322 Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The w1070 is great for games, sports and movies (fast response, great motion-handling, and a very crisp+accurate picture).
With its zoom range you can easily set it for a fairly short throw-distance that works better than most from a coffee table.

About how far from the wall will the table be?
Thanks for the reply. I Was looking at putting the Table about 6 feet away. I want to display it at 80 Inches as I can get a good deal on a 80 Inch Screen.
post #11321 of 11322 Unread Today, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckets21 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I Was looking at putting the Table about 6 feet away. I want to display it at 80 Inches as I can get a good deal on a 80 Inch Screen.
You'll need the projector's front/lens at least 6feet+9inches back from the screen/wall to make an 80inch image. The projector itself is roughly 1ft deep/long..so the back edge of your table will have to be almost 8ft back; does that leave you enough leg-room?
If your room is about 13ft+ long, you should be good.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #11322 of 11322 Unread Today, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought W1070 again after a journey with JVC x500 and LG PF1500. I hope I will still like it after I had x500 for a while, but definitely I miss W1070's 3D, which was better in separation and depth, solid and immersive.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page