BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #11431 of 11437 Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
BenQ lied to you and has no clue what they are saying.

The W1070 has about 6" of total lens shift coverage. The lens shift covers about 1.5" to 7.5" above the top of the screen and should really not be more than about 6" above the top of the screen. 2'6" is not at all correct. AT ALL - No matter what they tell you.
But that would depend on screen size--the farther you project, the greater the shift in picture, no? Not sure how it can be fixed between 1.5" - 7.5"

edit: also means the BenQ calculator is full of BS, since it gives the same answer as what the BenQ rep said. Surprised no one has called it out for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11437 Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskda View Post
But that would depend on screen size--the farther you project, the greater the shift in picture, no? Not sure how it can be fixed between 1.5" - 7.5"

edit: also means the BenQ calculator is full of BS, since it gives the same answer as what the BenQ rep said. Surprised no one has called it out for that.

2'5" isn't the same as 2.5" [emoji3]

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #11433 of 11437 Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
2'5" isn't the same as 2.5" [emoji3]
Not sure what 2.5" figure you're referencing. The BenQ calculator for the w1070 clearly shows a lens shift of 2'5" for a 100" screen, and it changes depending on screen size. See below.

post #11434 of 11437 Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Not sure what 2.5" figure you're referencing. The BenQ calculator for the w1070 clearly shows a lens shift of 2'5" for a 100" screen, and it changes depending on screen size. See below.

Yeah, I'm saying that the calculator is likely meant to be indicating 2.5 inches rather than 2-feet-5-inches.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #11435 of 11437 Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Yeah, I'm saying that the calculator is likely meant to be indicating 2.5 inches rather than 2-feet-5-inches.
I see. Possibly. Except they actually spell out the ft/in label. In any case, I think I figured it out. Came across a post on another forum stating that BenQ measures lens shift differently than other brands, making it confusing. BenQ assumes a projector at the vertical and horizontal midpoint of the projection has no vertical lens shift, while others assume it only has to be at the vertical midpoint. So per BenQ's approach, the projector comes with 2'5" of vertical lens shift out of the box (for a 100" screen) since the it projects the top/bottom of the image just a couple inches above/below the projector's height.

So yeah, BenQ is misleading. That's disappointing. Any other projectors in the same price range that offer 2-3' actual feet of lens shift, or do I have to go up a tier? I don't want the projector hanging so far down off the ceiling to get the image in the right place.
post #11436 of 11437 Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
So yeah, BenQ is misleading. That's disappointing. Any other projectors in the same price range that offer 2-3' actual feet of lens shift, or do I have to go up a tier? I don't want the projector hanging so far down off the ceiling to get the image in the right place.
Yes, they are calling it out incorrectly. Most projectors have a neutral position that is midway up/down from the center of the screen.

The W1070 has a neutral position that is just a few inches above the top of the screen (call it about 3"). From there, it only has a couple of inches of up/down shift.

Yes, if your screen is 160" then you may find it to be 3" or so of up/down shift instead of 2" of shift, but at the end of the day, it's no more than a few inches in either direction and at most about 6" or 7" from the top of the screen to the lens. This is a fine tuning amount of lens shift, not a game changing amount.

If you want more offset, then you could consider a Optoma projector which includes no lens shift, but has more out of the box lens shift. You can go with the Epson 8350 which has an incredible amount of shift, or the 5025 which is a solid projector with better black levels for a fair price.

At the end of all of this, if you are looking for a better lens, you will need to buy a better projector, but still, getting a ton of lens offset is not desirable for most home theater setups which often are in basements which have 7' to 8' ceilings in far greater quantities.

If I didn't care about 3D, then I would get the Epson 8345 with a average screen size setup and a requirement for great placement flexibility.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11437 of 11437 Unread Today, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

So I'm thinking of upgrading my now dying Epson TW3200 to this projector.

I wanted to ask advice re: distance and mounting. I currently have an electric 110" screen approximately 12ft from the front edge of a shelf (a single floating shelf, actually a microwave wall mount shelf!). The top of the shelf is 16" from the ceiling and the screen is ~10" from the ceiling but could be adjusted a couple of inches up or down. The projector calculator on projectorcentral.com says that that will work but only at 1.00x zoom. The BenQ calculator says that it would work with 1.30x, however.

Can anyone shed light on this? Also, with those measurements and lens shift, can I place it on the shelf normally, or would it have to be mounted on the ceiling upside down? If it matters, my ceilings are 8'.

Thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page