BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 372Likes

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskda View Post
But that would depend on screen size--the farther you project, the greater the shift in picture, no? Not sure how it can be fixed between 1.5" - 7.5"

edit: also means the BenQ calculator is full of BS, since it gives the same answer as what the BenQ rep said. Surprised no one has called it out for that.

2'5" isn't the same as 2.5"

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
2'5" isn't the same as 2.5"
Not sure what 2.5" figure you're referencing. The BenQ calculator for the w1070 clearly shows a lens shift of 2'5" for a 100" screen, and it changes depending on screen size. See below.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Not sure what 2.5" figure you're referencing. The BenQ calculator for the w1070 clearly shows a lens shift of 2'5" for a 100" screen, and it changes depending on screen size. See below.

Yeah, I'm saying that the calculator is likely meant to be indicating 2.5 inches rather than 2-feet-5-inches.

BenQ HT2050 Projector; Kodi (on Ubuntu, OpenELEC & S802) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio + Jamo 210 Sub. Emby for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Yeah, I'm saying that the calculator is likely meant to be indicating 2.5 inches rather than 2-feet-5-inches.
I see. Possibly. Except they actually spell out the ft/in label. In any case, I think I figured it out. Came across a post on another forum stating that BenQ measures lens shift differently than other brands, making it confusing. BenQ assumes a projector at the vertical and horizontal midpoint of the projection has no vertical lens shift, while others assume it only has to be at the vertical midpoint. So per BenQ's approach, the projector comes with 2'5" of vertical lens shift out of the box (for a 100" screen) since the it projects the top/bottom of the image just a couple inches above/below the projector's height.

So yeah, BenQ is misleading. That's disappointing. Any other projectors in the same price range that offer 2-3' actual feet of lens shift, or do I have to go up a tier? I don't want the projector hanging so far down off the ceiling to get the image in the right place.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
So yeah, BenQ is misleading. That's disappointing. Any other projectors in the same price range that offer 2-3' actual feet of lens shift, or do I have to go up a tier? I don't want the projector hanging so far down off the ceiling to get the image in the right place.
Yes, they are calling it out incorrectly. Most projectors have a neutral position that is midway up/down from the center of the screen.

The W1070 has a neutral position that is just a few inches above the top of the screen (call it about 3"). From there, it only has a couple of inches of up/down shift.

Yes, if your screen is 160" then you may find it to be 3" or so of up/down shift instead of 2" of shift, but at the end of the day, it's no more than a few inches in either direction and at most about 6" or 7" from the top of the screen to the lens. This is a fine tuning amount of lens shift, not a game changing amount.

If you want more offset, then you could consider a Optoma projector which includes no lens shift, but has more out of the box lens shift. You can go with the Epson 8350 which has an incredible amount of shift, or the 5025 which is a solid projector with better black levels for a fair price.

At the end of all of this, if you are looking for a better lens, you will need to buy a better projector, but still, getting a ton of lens offset is not desirable for most home theater setups which often are in basements which have 7' to 8' ceilings in far greater quantities.

If I didn't care about 3D, then I would get the Epson 8345 with a average screen size setup and a requirement for great placement flexibility.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

So I'm thinking of upgrading my now dying Epson TW3200 to this projector.

I wanted to ask advice re: distance and mounting. I currently have an electric 110" screen approximately 12ft from the front edge of a shelf (a single floating shelf, actually a microwave wall mount shelf!). The top of the shelf is 16" from the ceiling and the screen is ~10" from the ceiling but could be adjusted a couple of inches up or down. The projector calculator on projectorcentral.com says that that will work but only at 1.00x zoom. The BenQ calculator says that it would work with 1.30x, however.

Can anyone shed light on this? Also, with those measurements and lens shift, can I place it on the shelf normally, or would it have to be mounted on the ceiling upside down? If it matters, my ceilings are 8'.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you have the projector at the top of the screen, it has to be mounted upside down. The top of where the image is on the screen needs to be even or below the lens. The lens shift only moves the image a few inches, mostly in the direction of the projector top. Just use some spacers on each side to level the projector upside down on the shelf.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:35 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRC View Post
If you have the projector at the top of the screen, it has to be mounted upside down. The top of where the image is on the screen needs to be even or below the lens. The lens shift only moves the image a few inches, mostly in the direction of the projector top. Just use some spacers on each side to level the projector upside down on the shelf.
Thanks for the info! I probably will do the spacer idea, but considering the projector is so light, I may even throw up a ceiling mount since the shelf may be slightly beyond the right throw distance for my size screen. Do you have any insight on the zoom confusion between the 2 calculators? I could screenshot them both if it helps!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanpbk View Post
Thanks for the info! I probably will do the spacer idea, but considering the projector is so light, I may even throw up a ceiling mount since the shelf may be slightly beyond the right throw distance for my size screen. Do you have any insight on the zoom confusion between the 2 calculators? I could screenshot them both if it helps!
This is my second projector. I couldn't make any sense out of using the BenQ calculator. The ProjectorCentral seemed to give the most accurate. Just keep your placement within the limits it gives (with a little to spare) to make sure you have room for fine tuning and adjustments. Small errors, either in the calculator or your measurements, become bigger the greater the projection distance. Allow for a margin of error and all should be good.
Fa11ou7 likes this.

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanpbk View Post
Can anyone shed light on this? Also, with those measurements and lens shift, can I place it on the shelf normally, or would it have to be mounted on the ceiling upside down? If it matters, my ceilings are 8'.

Thanks!
Along with needing to mount the projector upsidedown, it'll need the len's center to be between 3"-8"inches above the top of the 16:9 110"-diagonal image.
The Benq can fit 110" anywhere from 9ft-3inches back, all the way up to 12ft back (lens-to-screen horizontal distance).

The extreme ends of these aren't always guaranteed, so it's safer to assume you'll be mounting between 9ft-9inches and 11ft-6inches back (lens-to-screen) and about 5" or 6" above the image (center-of-lens to top-of-image).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I posted the following in a thread for 3D glasses in the 3D Dispaly section, but not a lot of 1070 owners may know about it. Hoping readers here have some input:

Have there been any other side by side comparisons of the BenQ DGD5 and the EStar ESG601? I can find the EStars for $40 and the BenQ for $60, but not much info out there on BenQ DGD5. Will eventually need 4-6 pairs and not sure if the higher cost is worth it.

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Well I have loved my w1070 but I just made the jump over to the w1500, not sure if I will sell or not, may hang onto it for outdoor parties. Reason for the move to the w1500 is I bought a second hand 120" ES Screen that to my luck was mislabeled and was actually a 135" screen woot woot, but the w1070 cant do that at its distance but the w1500 can and the extra brightness will help, so yeah thus the switch.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L/R), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.2 Source: HTPC, Roku 4, Nexus Player, Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Bluray Player
Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just a note I'm at 7,600 hours on the original bulb and still going strong

I expected to replace the bulb once a year but I passed the 1.5 year mark and have noticed no decline in quality or brightness over the 5000-7600 hour range... My W1070 is only 6.5 feet from the screen, though.

Of course I don't recommend this, I'm a lazy and cheap git, but it is surprising to say the least. If anyone wants to experiment, I used smart eco for the first 4,000 hours then switched to eco and have been on that since.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 929
7600 hours after one year??!!! My god man, you must be going blind just kidding. I took me three years to blow out my bulb, at around 4800 hours or so if I remember correctly.

I'm considering hacking my projector this year, I'm pretty bored with it and want to up the quality. Maybe some glass optics, a displayport 1.2a input. I wish I had access to the source code for the firmware, then I could add support for 120hz over the usual HDMI inputs, through dropping to 420 chroma subsampling. I tried recently going to 422 with 10-bit and it works, although for desktop the blurriness isn't worth the tradeoff. I didn't quite get around to checking the banding characteristics of 422 10-bit since I suck at Gimp and don't have photoshop. I'll keep trying.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 56
For those interested in a low cost Panamorph lens with mounting kits check this thread out. I also missed it myself.

New $995 Panamorph Lens
http://www.panamorph.com/x-lens-project/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
We have been talking to Panamorph about how expensive anamorphic lenses are and it seems the bottom line is a combination of cost, volume and supporting distribution channels. A lens with maybe the quality of their CineVista and retailing around $995 seems like it would be something that projector owners would be interested in, especially with the increase in brightness and resolution it would bring when watching 2.35:1 movies. Along with the speed and accuracy of aspect ratio changes. So we decided to put this to the test. If Panamorph gets an “I’m interested” from 500 people then we’ll start a Powerbuy program with them to make this happen. Then as soon as they get 300 preorders for the lens it will start shipping in about 90 days. For more info on the program and to send them an “I’m interested” go to: http://www.panamorph.com/x-lens-project/

Added 8/12/15
Well, it turns out there were over 50 people interested in the first 5 days of this thread alone so with that kind of momentum Panamorph is moving forward with the powerbuy. At this point the target is 150 pre-orders asap so the lens can start shipping around Thanksgiving. All the details are on Panamorph’s X1 page but basically these will be phone orders into Panamorph so they can touch base with everyone regarding the order, questions, setup, etc. The first 300 pre-orders will also get a customized 4.2”x1.75” “Thank you” metal plate for making this project happen that you can frame and hang, mount on your screen border, etc.

Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 09-10-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
For those interested in a low cost Panamorph lens with mounting kits check this thread out. I also missed it myself.

New $995 Panamorph Lens
http://www.panamorph.com/x-lens-project/
Saw that too a month ago.

The problem is the mounting kit is not compatible with the Benq line.

I'm going to wait and see how the kens does in the real world.

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
Old 09-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using w1070 for almost 1 year.
2d picture is outstanding, colors pop-blacks are almost as good as ips screens , motion is great etc as you all know.

my glasses are cheap 10$ dlp 144hz ones .

they work correctly but the image in 3d is very dark-poor contrast-very poor brightness.

When in 3d mode (bluray) the glasses synch perfectly,3d depth is there,lenses block the red tint perfectly.

But the picture is almost 10x less bright than 2d mode(economic) . Not only the brightness but the colors look 10x less saturated.
When i look at the 3d picture without glasses brightness is great.
I enjoy watching 3d in my samsung active 3d TV but when i use w1070 it is almost impossible to see details because of the poor brightness and contrast.
Should i buy new glasses or am i expecting too much from the projector?

thanks

Last edited by daymond; 09-11-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if I missed this but I've been out of this thread a while.....I've got almost 1000 hours on my bulb in smarteco, and while I realize I do not need to replace it yet I am looking for a spare.
Has anyone ordered from this site and is it truly an original? Seems like a really good price to me....$171

http://www.projectorlampsource.com/benq_w1070_lamp.html
Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Objectively/Technically, will the 1070 have a sharper, more color-defined image(s) on an identical size screen when adjusted to max zoom or no zoom at different throw distances?

Hypothetical Example:

No zoom 120" screen w/ 1070, 10' throw
vs.
Max zoom 120" screen w/1070, 12' throw

To cut to the chase, does the 1070 start to lose PQ if and when the manual zoom feature is engaged?

Thanks.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" –Tony Soprano
Old 09-12-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by los3088 View Post
Objectively/Technically, will the 1070 have a sharper, more color-defined image(s) on an identical size screen when adjusted to max zoom or no zoom at different throw distances?

Hypothetical Example:

No zoom 120" screen w/ 1070, 10' throw
vs.
Max zoom 120" screen w/1070, 12' throw

To cut to the chase, does the 1070 start to lose PQ if and when the manual zoom feature is engaged?

Thanks.
A majority of projectors will be their sharpest when using maximum zoom-distance (where the picture is the same size, but the projector is as far away as possible), BUT many have reported the w1070 does the exact opposite and seems to be the most crisp when it is zoomed to be as close as possible to the screen.
Colors and general picture-quality will be the same either way.
Although, some other projectors can also gain higher contrast at their farther back zoom (and either min or max offset..I can't remember which).
The w1070 stays pretty constant though.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
"A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Old 09-12-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilletto View Post
Sorry if I missed this but I've been out of this thread a while.....I've got almost 1000 hours on my bulb in smarteco, and while I realize I do not need to replace it yet I am looking for a spare.
Has anyone ordered from this site and is it truly an original? Seems like a really good price to me....$171

http://www.projectorlampsource.com/benq_w1070_lamp.html
I bought one from their Canadian Site perhaps a year or so ago. I have been running it since then and have the factory lamp with 600 hrs as back up. The bulb is identical to the original one but the housing did not fit as tightly. I have had no problems with the lamp and delivery was as promised. For the price why take a chance on a Chinese bare bulb. I feel that by the time I have consumed these two lamps led should be ready for prime time.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
A majority of projectors will be their sharpest when using maximum zoom-distance (where the picture is the same size, but the projector is as far away as possible), BUT many have reported the w1070 does the exact opposite and seems to be the most crisp when it is zoomed to be as close as possible to the screen.
Colors and general picture-quality will be the same either way.
Although, some other projectors can also gain higher contrast at their farther back zoom (and either min or max offset..I can't remember which).
The w1070 stays pretty constant though.
Thanks for your reply. All the information contained in this wonderful forum regarding the 1070 tells me that's it's time to pull the trigger.

I'm going in...

Old 09-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. All the information contained in this wonderful forum regarding the 1070 tells me that's it's time to pull the trigger.

I'm going in...

You'll be sorry............................................. ...........................................that you didn't do it sooner
Livin and Rashman like this.

"New Member" since 2007....
Old 09-12-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Debating between this and the Epson 8345. Assuming I don't care for 3D (not entirely true but I've never had it before), which would give the best PQ for my setup?

The room is non-controlled with light beige colored walls. I'm not interested in treating the room/painting walls outside of getting blackout curtains. That being said, we don't face the sun and the overhang from our patio blocks any direct light. In fact, the wall that I will project onto is shaded at all times. Just to give you an idea, it's been 100 degrees here lately but inside our home it's easily 25 degrees cooler without running any A/C.

Our viewing position is 9' and the screen will be a DIY grey spandex over white 112" 2.35. This would be my first projector after having owned nothing but plasmas. I realize an entry level PJ + untreated room would never match the PQ of a plasma but I'm willing to sacrifice a little for the immersive experience I always wanted.

Thoughts?

My always evolving setup | Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma | Sony STR-DH800 AVR | Energy Take Classic 7.2 | Comcast X1 | PS4 | Panasonic DMP-BD60
Old 09-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post
You'll be sorry............................................. ...........................................that you didn't do it sooner
Roger that. The thought of going from a 75" to a 138" screen, really lifts my skirt.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Roger that. The thought of going from a 75" to a 138" screen, really lifts my skirt.
Awesome, another man who wears a kilt! And proud of it too!

"New Member" since 2007....
Old 09-18-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just got a Benq w1070. I noticed the black color turns red whenever I play a 3D movie. Is it normal?
Can anybody share the calibration for 2D and 3D mode? I'm still trying to adjust the settings.
Thank you.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy0890 View Post
I just got a Benq w1070. I noticed the black color turns red whenever I play a 3D movie. Is it normal?
The red is the sync signal for the glasses. Some glasses block the red better that others.
Se this thread for more info: Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy0890 View Post
Can anybody share the calibration for 2D and 3D mode? I'm still trying to adjust the settings.
Some have been posted in this thread, but I didn't save where.
teddy0890 likes this.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey folks...i have a question.

When ever i turn on the w1070 and start watching a video, i hear noise from the device speaker. every time i have to turn it off from the menu. Is there any way to turn it off totally- so that i get sound from the home theater only.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey folks...i have a question.

When ever i turn on the w1070 and start watching a video, i hear noise from the device speaker. every time i have to turn it off from the menu. Is there any way to turn it off totally- so that i get sound from the home theater only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector