BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 361Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #11701 of 11709 Unread 02-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Newbie
 
maddog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Hotspotting. You're either too close or your screen has too much gain. If a painted wall. It's got to much sheen.
Okay..
The screen is a 1.1 gain
maddog42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11702 of 11709 Unread 02-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Newbie
 
maddog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Hotspotting. You're either too close or your screen has too much gain. If a painted wall. It's got to much sheen.
Okay..

The screen is 1.1 gain Elite.

Thanks
maddog42 is offline  
post #11703 of 11709 Unread 02-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Kubrickain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all,

I have bought a 1070 a while back and finally at the point of deciding on screen size. Room is 18ft long - thinking 16:9 120'' diagonal or possibly 135'' diagonal.

Looking Silver Ticket or Elite screens, room will be dark.

If I go with a 135'', how far back would I sit (eyes to screen)? I tried the testing it with a sheet today and couldn't decide.

Trying to figure out if I can get 2 rows of theater seating and exactly where the first row and riser would go.

Thanks
Kubrickain is offline  
post #11704 of 11709 Unread 02-08-2016, 02:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrickain View Post
Hi all,

I have bought a 1070 a while back and finally at the point of deciding on screen size. Room is 18ft long - thinking 16:9 120'' diagonal or possibly 135'' diagonal.

Looking Silver Ticket or Elite screens, room will be dark.

If I go with a 135'', how far back would I sit (eyes to screen)? I tried the testing it with a sheet today and couldn't decide.

Trying to figure out if I can get 2 rows of theater seating and exactly where the first row and riser would go.

Thanks
I've got mine about 4 metres back and projecting a 120" screen size, that's just about fully zoomed in so can go bigger. Not sure on lumens at that throw but is plenty bright enough in darkened down room.

Hope that helps.
farr3ll is offline  
post #11705 of 11709 Unread 02-08-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Well, after more than 11,000 posts what is left to say?

We have been using the projector in a dedicated black pit of a room as our main video system.
Nightly viewing for the past two years has racked up 4800 hours on the original bulb.
Viewing on a 130" diagonal low gain (0.8) screen in "Dynamic Eco" mode to my eye gives the best compromise between black level and a bright, colorful image.
No operational problems at all. A new bulb and another 2 years should put me into reasonably priced 4K upgrade territory.
Fingers crossed.
Rashman and farr3ll like this.
DavidK442 is online now  
post #11706 of 11709 Unread Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
schmidtwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrickain View Post
Hi all,

I have bought a 1070 a while back and finally at the point of deciding on screen size. Room is 18ft long - thinking 16:9 120'' diagonal or possibly 135'' diagonal.

Looking Silver Ticket or Elite screens, room will be dark.

If I go with a 135'', how far back would I sit (eyes to screen)? I tried the testing it with a sheet today and couldn't decide.

Trying to figure out if I can get 2 rows of theater seating and exactly where the first row and riser would go.

Thanks
I sit 11' from a 135" Elite screen with a 1070 - perfect distance for an immersive experience. That should give you plenty of room for a second row.
DavidK442 likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
schmidtwi is offline  
post #11707 of 11709 Unread Today, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Kubrickain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
I've got mine about 4 metres back and projecting a 120" screen size, that's just about fully zoomed in so can go bigger. Not sure on lumens at that throw but is plenty bright enough in darkened down room.

Hope that helps.
What distance from your eyes to screen?
Kubrickain is offline  
post #11708 of 11709 Unread Today, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Kubrickain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post
I sit 11' from a 135" Elite screen with a 1070 - perfect distance for an immersive experience. That should give you plenty of room for a second row.
Excellent, and you don't see any pixels? Is your screen CIH or 16:9?
Kubrickain is offline  
post #11709 of 11709 Unread Today, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrickain View Post
Excellent, and you don't see any pixels? Is your screen CIH or 16:9?
I sit about 9.5 feet from a 130" diagonal screen. At that distance I can make out pixel structure in bright areas of the image, even though the spandex I'm using tends to blur that level of detail slightly. Not really distracting and only noticeable if I'm looking for it. 4K will definitely be an upgrade.
DavidK442 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off