BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 372Likes

Old 05-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheDude81 View Post
Just got my w1070 refurb from Benq on ebay for under $500. Loving it so far! Glad to find this thread for info.
Congrats on the projector. Also, don't forget to check this thread out Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070

Now's the time to get at least one extra bulb in case the original bulb dies an untimely death. You never know with bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 156
what do you guys use for PJ mounts with this projector?
Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
what do you guys use for PJ mounts with this projector?
Since this was my first projector bought in september 2015, I looked around for a quite some time for one. Came across this Loctek PT3 LCD/DLP Projector Ceiling Mount
on Amazon for $26 a couple of months later think it was in November. There were no reviews for it at the time so I took a chance because it's a long one
Quote:
2-In-1 design can be installed as a Flush mount or Telescopic with height adjustment 22.45" - 32.36"
. Just what I was looking for. There's a few reviews for it now. IMO it's a nice piece of hardware for the money. Nothing seems cheap about it. I haven't put in a text review for it on Amazon yet but did rate it 5 stars.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Best mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGS-.../dp/B000TXNS6G

Projector & Screen: Benq W1070 Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I would second this. Love mine.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Hearing lots of votes for the Peerless. Thanks.

what's the diff between the "S" model and the normal model?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D06NFLC/...SIN=B00D06NFLC

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGS-.../dp/B000TXNS6G
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 659
The Chief RPMAU mount is better than the Peerless by a bit. It's a more solid overall construction and the universal bracket it comes with is simply second to none.

It carries a price premium with it, but it is the last mount that you would ever buy, even if you went up to a JVC (25+ pound) projector.

They come up on eBay about once a month in deals which can get you one for well under $100. They also have 'custom' mounts, which can be pretty easily modified to fit the BenQ models.

This is a decent price with the older style universal interface bracket:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPMA000-Chie...sAAOSw~oFXMNdx

Cheaper - Same thing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-projec...gAAOSwiYFXLjlA
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Se...UAAOSw2GlXF5eZ

That's $50 for a $150 mount that is top shelf.

Another good buy - In silver, smaller version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RSMAUS...4AAOSw2GlXDy~7

In white - full size version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHIEF-MFG-RP...IAAOSwqRdXMhN~

Yes, the Peerless is still a good mount, but after using both, I know that the Chief is a better mount, especially that last one which has the tubular universal bracket.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where can I find the 1.08 firmware update and instructions. I can't find it anywhere on the web and all the old links are broken. Can you please help me?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everybody, just one quick question. Which setting will give me longer lamp life, Economy or SmartEco?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimkino69 View Post
Hi everybody, just one quick question. Which setting will give me longer lamp life, Economy or SmartEco?
SmartEco according to the BenQ.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 242
QUESTION: I have the w1500, I have 1275 hours on the bulb and has been in SmartEco since day one, Im not sure if it is a glitch, I just shut off my projector and will check in a little bit but all of a sudden the brightness is cut in half, almost like its on Eco or even darker than that so is that an indication that my bulb may be about to go out? I always thought a bulb gets brighter just before it pops.

Thoughts?

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L/R), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.2 Source: HTPC, Roku 4, Nexus Player, Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Bluray Player
Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
QUESTION: I have the w1500, I have 1275 hours on the bulb and has been in SmartEco since day one, Im not sure if it is a glitch, I just shut off my projector and will check in a little bit but all of a sudden the brightness is cut in half, almost like its on Eco or even darker than that so is that an indication that my bulb may be about to go out? I always thought a bulb gets brighter just before it pops.

Thoughts?
Mine got significantly dimmer, like half, less than 10 hours before the bulb blew. I keep mine on SmartEco all the time and my bulb had about 5,700 hours on it when it blew.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Well, my bulb just went POP while watching TV. I am disappointed in that I am pretty sure it was still under 4,000 hours and I have always run my W1070 in Smart ECO mode. I was hoping to get 6,000 hours.

I purchased a bare bulb a year ago so I would have it on-hand. I guess it is time to see how difficult the re-lamping is and hope there are no glass shards down inside the projector jamming the lower blower as some people have had happen.

The projector case is cool after 20 minutes, but I think I'll wait until morning anyway. I'll report back then.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Is there a way to operate the 1070 through an iPad app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Well, my bulb just went POP while watching TV. I am disappointed in that I am pretty sure it was still under 4,000 hours and I have always run my W1070 in Smart ECO mode. I was hoping to get 6,000 hours.

I purchased a bare bulb a year ago so I would have it on-hand. I guess it is time to see how difficult the re-lamping is and hope there are no glass shards down inside the projector jamming the lower blower as some people have had happen.

The projector case is cool after 20 minutes, but I think I'll wait until morning anyway. I'll report back then.
Well, the old lamp was in shards of glass, some in the lamp bay but most trapped within the lamp module. Am running the projector now and we'll see if it shuts down due to overheating -- I think that is the only way to find out if some glass shards got sucked into the lower blower. The exploding bulb left quite a divot on the front glass of the lamp module, but it does not appear on screen.

This replacement bare bulb is definitely dimmer than the original. It may be dimmer than mine just before it popped with 3963 hours on it. This is the one I purchased and I can't recommend this source:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It did not have the "coil" in the base of the lamp. If someone has a good source for bare bulb that is a genuine OSRAM with the coil base, I'd appreciate a link.

Kirk Ellis
Old 07-14-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Really surprised you gave it a two-star rating on Amazon. None of these cheap knock-offs that come nowhere close to the performance of a genuine OEM lamp deserve any stars. But I guess it doesn't matter how low you rate it because people will keep buying them anyway.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Really surprised you gave it a two-star rating on Amazon. None of these cheap knock-offs that come nowhere close to the performance of a genuine OEM lamp deserve any stars. But I guess it doesn't matter how low you rate it because people will keep buying them anyway.
Yes, maybe too generous. It does function, though, which is better than some generics I've tried for my JVC.

Obviously BenQ is not paying $100 for the "correct" lamp when they are selling a projector with a street price under $700, so it is not unreasonable to hope that their original supplier would be selling somewhere to the public for under $100. Hope springs eternal for people who don't relish spending 30% of the projector cost for a new lamp -- it feels too much like spending $10,000 for a new set of tires for your car. Besides, BenqDirect doesn't even sell them anymore, and I have no confidence that ProVantage and B&H who do show them in stock are selling the real thing.

Kirk Ellis
Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
... I have no confidence that ProVantage and B&H who do show them in stock are selling the real thing.
I paid a lot to get my last genuine OEM replacement lamp for my Panasonic projector from ProVantage and it was the real thing. I hate paying so much for a replacement lamp but the alternative of trying to find a legitimate inexpensive replacement in a minefield of cheap knock-offs is even less appealing to me.
Old Today, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 185
So my original bulb just popped. It went 3590 hrs. I put in a replacement bulb and now there is some light coming thru on side. I can see it reflecting off the edge of the lens housing. Do I not have bulb in right? I have removed and reseated it but it still does this. It shows as a large blob on screen either dark or light depending on background. Uhh!

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread