BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 396 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 375Likes

post #11851 of 11862 Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperjc View Post
Need some help,

My bulb exploded. I ordered a replacement from B&H and I seen somebody above ask, yes it was in BenQ packaging. I replaced the bulb and all was fine for about 3 minutes until the red light of death came on. I shut it all down. I see somebody saying something about shards of glass which there defiantly were some. What do I do next, or is it a loss? What are the steps I can try? I bought this refurb 15 months ago and I love it. I am just hoping I can salvage this one.

Thank you for your help.
Have you tested with a working bulb? I would just buy a cheap one on Amazon and keep it on hand for testing. The red light could be a bad bulb or something else. If the bulb only lasted 3 months, it might be under warranty.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 11862 Old 09-13-2016, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Have you tested with a working bulb? I would just buy a cheap one on Amazon and keep it on hand for testing. The red light could be a bad bulb or something else. If the bulb only lasted 3 months, it might be under warranty.
Thank you for the advice. All is well. I took out the new bulb housing gave projector a little shake and used a vacuum and tried to get all the "powdered glass" I could suck out. Something obviously worked fans are humming and all back connected. I forgot how bright a new bulb is. Anyway that was the fix and all is well.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #11853 of 11862 Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperjc View Post
Need some help,

My bulb exploded. I ordered a replacement from B&H and I seen somebody above ask, yes it was in BenQ packaging. I replaced the bulb and all was fine for about 3 minutes until the red light of death came on. I shut it all down. I see somebody saying something about shards of glass which there defiantly were some. What do I do next, or is it a loss? What are the steps I can try? I bought this refurb 15 months ago and I love it. I am just hoping I can salvage this one.

Thank you for your help.
Open it back up, remove the lamp module, tilt it every which way slowly. See if any glass shards fall out or if you hear them rattling around. Hold it with the lamp compartment open as you tap it is repeatedly around all six sides. If you get all the rattling to stop, try it again. If it still shuts down, call benq and see if they will clean it up under warranty or what they'll charge if not under warranty anymore. Let us know what they quote if not done under warranty, we all may face that situation some day.

The blower that gets jammed is underneath everything else. A benq tech can probably take everything apart and put it back together again on 20 minutes, but a first time novice might take hours and still break something. At least one user attempting it broke the wire to the color wheel and ended up having to send it to benq for an even larger repair bill.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #11854 of 11862 Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
These projectors are surprisingly good for the money. I am still rockin' the W1100, but I am thinking about upgrading soon. Thanks for the review!
post #11855 of 11862 Old 09-14-2016, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can someone please tell me how many inches (or a percent of screen height) the w1070 will allow me for lease shift? Screen is 110w x 47h

Thanks.
post #11856 of 11862 Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If lamps are blowing before you get a replace lamp warning, don't you think that's a reason for Benq to replace your unit ?
post #11857 of 11862 Old 09-17-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 204
It's out of warranty being 15 months old so no replacement or repair without consumer cost. My red light never came on when mine exploded. I would just make sure it's clean and run it. Order a cheap 50.00 replacement bulb, test that one that it works and mark "test bulb" on the box and put it away and put the other bulb back in.

I have over 300 hrs on my cheap bulb and I put the more expensive bulb away and marked the hours on it on the box. I really can't tell the difference between the two by performance or build quality so from now on, I'm just going to buy the cheap ones. If my cheap 43.00 bulb makes it past 800 hours, it has paid for itself. I think I paid to much for my first replacement bulb.

If the red light is still coming on it could be the metal contact switch out of adjustment. It touches the bulb replacement door to the top cover, the two have to connect in order for the bulb to come on. If it doesn't touch it will flash the red light. Take a screw driver and bend the metal contactor a little so it will touch when closed.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #11858 of 11862 Old 09-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a BenQ W1070 and I have a few questions to do, do you know if the SmartEco lamp mode will improve the lamp life when compared to Eco mode?

SmartEco adjusts the brightness during a movie or locks the brightness according to the image being shown at the time the mode was selected (like Projector Central says)?

The light leakage thru the vents is normal?

Is this projector reliable? I've heard people talking about overheating, dost blobs, colorwheel issues and white dots (damaged DMD). Are those problems common?
The bulb normally explodes much sooner than advertised?
The blast is dangerous and makes lots of noise and/or can cause a fire?

BR,
Danny
post #11859 of 11862 Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The bulb lasts longer in SmartEco mode.

Brightness can vary, but I rarely notice it.

Some explode, some don't.

Only thing that'll happen when it explodes, little kids may learn new words. :-)
I haven't seen any reports of fire. You need to remove the broken glass inside and there have been reports of one of the fans being jammed afterwards and dust.

Dust blobs, you either have them or not.

Mine has been working fine for a year and a half.
danny92 likes this.
post #11860 of 11862 Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
Can someone please tell me how many inches (or a percent of screen height) the w1070 will allow me for lease shift? Screen is 110w x 47h

Thanks.
This is very standard, and the W1070 lens can be about 1" to 7" above the top of your screen. It isn't an exact measurement, so shooting for 2" to 6" above the top of your screen for lens placement is pretty safe when ceiling mounting.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11861 of 11862 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi,

Some light leakage thru the front and side vents is normal on the W1070?
I haven't seen it reported in most of the reviews.
I can see some light on the walls on dark sceenes and under the screen on very dark sceenes or with blank activated (black image)

Regards,
Danny
post #11862 of 11862 Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny92 View Post
Hi,

Some light leakage thru the front and side vents is normal on the W1070?

I haven't seen it reported in most of the reviews.

I can see some light on the walls on dark sceenes and under the screen on very dark sceenes or with blank activated (black image)

Regards,

Danny

Mine does this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread