BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 376Likes

post #11881 of 11883 Old 11-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just sent mine back due to some dark splotches that developed on the screen. Silly me, I didn't realize they attached a FedEx label and paid $33 to have it shipped USPS Priority...ugh. We'll see how this goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11883 Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the only problem i had with mine was had an overheating issue and would shut down at random times but mainly after about 15min. Sent it back they fixed it and was up and running again in under 2 weeks was very happy with the service.

"Warning small but readworthy rant incoming"

I was so happy with it, especially the 3d image, due mainly to no perceivable crosstalk. I would get every movie i could that was 3d and watch most movies in 3d. I figured if i can get such a good image for about AUD$1,000 then imagine what it would be like if i got an AUD $3000 - AUD$4000 projector. So i sold the 1070 and I got the Sony HW40ES going on the "great for 3d" reviews i had read. I fired it up and was happy with the 2d performance tho a little let down as the contrast and black level where not great, all i can say is reasonable level of contrast, 2/5, as opposed to very bad level of contrast on the 1070, 1/5, it was better but not AUD$2000 better. Even though it was projected in a white room it was better, contrary to the miss information spread on this forum and others that there is no improvement if you use a projector like this in a non-dedicated home theatre room compared to the 1070. So I preceded to into 3d and was shocked how bad it was, there was visible crosstalk which made the image look terrible, i tweaked the settings which improved it a little but still was not good. Must be the movie projector combo, nope. After giving myself a headache convincing myself it was ok i gave up and sold the HW40ES at an AUD$600 loss, now i have no projector lol.

THIS is why 3d is failing, companies releasing products with crosstalk, people watch it get a headache watching a fuzzy image then get the opinion all 3d in the home situation is bad.

On top of this, reviews saying about such products as "Great 3D."
If there is any visible crosstalk then it is Bad 3D!!

Im writing this as i know there are many out there looking to upgrade from the 1070. Ive heard good things about the 3d on the 5040UB, but price!

Myself am waiting till next year as there are rumours that Ti have some new DLP chips.

Last edited by Kezzbot; 11-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.
post #11883 of 11883 Old Today, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this but we all know what a light polluter this projector is
Especially in and around the lens housing as the following examples images show. I have a
well controlled room for light where even a candle being on would kill the screen contrast

I am able to capture this extraneous light beaming forward along with the image
that is also ending up as part of the screen image hurting the contrast even more

Been wanting to experiment with getting this projector under light control for a while now.
So, to work I went and I came up with doing this with what I had readily on hand. I have a
box that has a black matte on one side and used that for now. Cutting it to the same size
the image would be at that spot so only that is getting projected forward. Rather on the same
idea as in a real theater that little window you see when you look back at where the image is coming from

The results

Boom all that ambient light getting projected gone

I noticed the difference right away on my screen.

Last edited by magnification; Today at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread