BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 42 - AVS Forum
First ... 40  41  42 43  44  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 12:35 AM 01-13-2013
You can adjust brightness and contrast, but these are generally set to a pluge pattern, if you adjust them beyond the pluge norms, then you will get white crush and/or black crush, or you will just raise the black floor too unnaturally high. You can adjust the gamma, contrast, and brightness, but generally you should be using pluge patterns to do so from the AVS Rec 709 test disk, not compromising your contrast just to get 3D a tiny bit brighter looking.

I highly recommend downloading the FREE AVS Rec709 test disk from this forum and burning it with a regular DVD burner, and even in doing so it will play in MOST bluray players and help you get a slightly better image out of your PJ. Ultimately a calibration meter will take it a step further, but many at this price point don't have professional calibration equipment, still this test disk is a great free start.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

So although it is true in 3D mode you can increase the perception of brightness (and even the near peak whites a tad bit from contrast crush), doing so is not a proper method and is not considered in a lumens comparison.

Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar Thunder_God_Thor 12:56 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I really would like to compare this PJ to the w7000, if someone is going to buy one for sure, well I could buy it for them ahead of time on a Thur night, and test it over the weekend, then just do an ebay transaction and get it to them by Tues. I will calibrate it for free. This way you don't actually give me any money until I am ready to ship it, but I prefer if someone were going to do this that I have some kind of guarantee they are buying it (like ebay prepurchase from my ebay account). Remember free calibration and I will leave everything as-is.

I would have so done this if I was State side. Win/Win. Biggest thing Im worried about right now as this will be my first projector is how to calibrate this thing properly....
maintman's Avatar maintman 02:25 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

So this does not have FI?
I would not want a 3D projector without FI, I don't mean to ruin you guys party, but the w7000 at least looks pretty rough in 3D motion with FI disabled. I never use FI in 2D, but in 3D it's a must. I would pay the extra $500 for a refurb w7000 if this projector is as choppy as my w7000 without FI (but maybe it's better?)...

After being surprised that I enjoyed The Hobbit in 48fps, I wonder if not having FI for 3d would be a possible deal breaker for me as well. I'm at least holding out to see what the new Acer will do.

RLBURNSIDE - Aren't you using some kind of smooth motion computer program that mimics frame interpolation? If so, have you tried it with 3d on this projector?
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 02:53 AM 01-13-2013
@Maintman
Not sure, would only know if I could see them side-by-side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

Sweet for you bro! It's too bad you aren't quick enough to fit the basics into the time you do have.

Please refrain from off-topic banter. We are here to talk about projectors.
I just do not want to see the mods have to delete another 20+ posts from this thread again. Thanks...
man4mopar's Avatar man4mopar 09:23 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

After being surprised that I enjoyed The Hobbit in 48fps, I wonder if not having FI for 3d would be a possible deal breaker for me as well. I'm at least holding out to see what the new Acer will do.

RLBURNSIDE - Aren't you using some kind of smooth motion computer program that mimics frame interpolation? If so, have you tried it with 3d on this projector?

Wouldn't sell it short till viewed. As noted this projector does 24fps 3D movies at 144hz. So it should play smooth, the W7000 and many other 3D displays run at 120hz. so with the W1070 you get each frame 6 times vs 5 times with the W7000 and many other 3D displays with 24fps content.
scottyroo's Avatar scottyroo 09:27 AM 01-13-2013
Coderguy - I tried your calculator and it looks great but I'm tied to a mobile device today and its not optimized for that. Based on your calculator am I going to be able to get a 7" offset with the offset and lens shift combined?
Greg Flowers's Avatar Greg Flowers 09:54 AM 01-13-2013
I got my 1070 hooked up over the weekend and I'm impressed. I have had a projector of some sort since 2000. I have previously owned a Sony Vpl 400q, Panasonic AE300, and Optoma HD70. I have not seen a bunch of newer projectors so my opinions may be a better reference for some of the less experienced viewers sitting on the fence about getting this projector. I have it installed ceiling mounted in a 10'x10' room projecting fom the ceiling onto a 110" da-lite HP (2.8 gain screen).

Projectors sure have come a long way! In 2000 I bought the original widescreen projector the Sony VPL W400Q and screen USED for $2600 and that was a good deal. 400 lumens strong. I bought the BenQ because it was the only 1080p projector that could fill a 110" screen from such a short throw. The projector is very bright but not overwelmingly so. I finally have a projector that is as good as the picture I see at the theaters. Even sitting just over 1 x screen width pixels are invisible and sharpness with a good blu-ray is excellent. Screen door or any sort of pixel structure is a thing of the past. I could see rainbows when I try to but not distractingly so and no worse than my old Optoma HD70. I did not mention anything about rainbows to my fiance and she did not notice them. 3D looks almost just like it does in the theater. The 3D Corp glasses I'm using are comfortable and I don't see any red flash or red tinge in the blacks.

Even with mild ambient light the picture remains excellent. If you haven't tested 10 different projectors and are not an extremely hard core videophile I would be hard pressed to believe that this projector's picture wouldn't be impressive. My fiance really liked it and she could care less about this kind of thing.

So if you were like me and are considering the BenQ as a first projector, a first 3D projector, or upgrading from an older 720p projector, then buying this unit is a no-brainer. If you already have a newish 1080p projector and want 3D, then you will probably like this projector. If you already have a newish 1080p projector and have no interest in 3D then save your money. I would consider myself a knowledgeable home theater enthusiast, not a hard core expert videophile.
FlatRocky's Avatar FlatRocky 09:58 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I just got the Oppo 103 in December to use with my W7000 that I had. I haven't watched anything other than 1080p material on my jvc x55. I'm hoping for the W1070 to get to $850 soon. But maybe it has a lot to do with the Oppo scaling and video processing that makes my cable look so good. Also, I have a HP screen that is 120in and I was getting max gain. With the W7000 giving me 1450 lumens in eco mode, I was getting 80+ ftL. I tried the same setup with my optoma gt720 and my 720p Casio and they were not close to be honest.

Yep, it is the oppo, it even makes cable better by tweaking settings in oppo picture settings. For blueray, it is better to leave oppo at the original settings that i have found.
scottyroo's Avatar scottyroo 10:04 AM 01-13-2013
The spec sheet on the W1070 says that it has an offset of 110-130% +/- 5% If my 100" screen is 50" tall wouldn't that me I would have a maximum offset of 15"? I really don't want to have to move my screen up smile.gif
FlatRocky's Avatar FlatRocky 10:05 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

The Onkyo uses the video processor in the Oppo for about $250. The Oppo has more feature and cost twice as much. The Onkyo upconverts to 1080p also.

I have both oppo bdp-103 and onkyo tx-nr818 paired with benq w1070. I dont know where the difference is but, oppo makes better looking motorola hd cable picture quality hands down. It does it better straight out of the box but even better with minor picture settings in oppo
othbert's Avatar othbert 10:19 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Can some one please measure the diameter of the lens. I ordered one of these and having direct sent to McMurdo Antarctica and thinking I will need a ND2 filter but not sure what diameter I should get. Curious how it compares to the H9500BD I have getting a firmware update to now.
Thanks in advance.

Side note and kudos to TrueDepth here. I had two pair of their DLP link glasses I bought December 2011 and they are swapping me my old glasses that will not do 144hz for two that will. That is great customer service.

Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

and Art says that the "smart eco" mode is great, when everyone else complains that it's terribly laggy huh.

anyone knows the diameter of the W1070 optics please? I'd like to order a ND4 filter =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernutz View Post

So anyone tried a ND4 filter after all? What diameter is required please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Volk View Post

What's the diameter of ND filter for W1070? Does the filter holds easily on the lense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

can you measure the diameter of lens and the cavity around it please. I plan to order one now. When I bought Hoya ND2 filter for Benq W7000, it improved the haloes and sharpness. and made the picture more watchable.

Based on crude measurements in photoshop, against the dimensions on the BenQ site, it looks to be a 38mm housing. Could definitely use clarification by someone who owns both the projector and a ruler though!

Thread related; been watching this with growing interest, in fact it caused me to finally sign up to AVS. Look forward to getting my hands on one of these in the near future. Primarily (90%+) for gaming, so the display lag numbers have been very interesting indeed. My thanks to all.
prfssr's Avatar prfssr 12:09 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

The spec sheet on the W1070 says that it has an offset of 110-130% +/- 5% If my 100" screen is 50" tall wouldn't that me I would have a maximum offset of 15"? I really don't want to have to move my screen up smile.gif

Re lens shift for the W1070, BenQ takes the 100% reference value to be 1/2 the image height. So, taking your example of a 50" image height, 100% reference = 25", 120% = 30", and (120±10)% from center of image = (30±2.5)", or (20±10)% = (5±2.5)" from top or bottom of image. The user's manual has more details than the brochure. You can download both from the BenQ web site.
scottyroo's Avatar scottyroo 12:26 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by prfssr View Post

Re lens shift for the W1070, BenQ takes the 100% reference value to be 1/2 the image height. So, taking your example of a 50" image height, 100% reference = 25", and ±10% = ±2.5". You can download the brochure and user's manual from the BenQ web site.
That is exactly what I needed to know. I needed 7" of offset and the lens shift will give me approx 7.5" (130% / max lens shift) based on your your info. The W1070 is getting here tomorrow! Can't wait to set it up. I'm replacing a short throw Optoma GT750 which has served me well but it's only 720p. I have a 10" duct giving me hell about what projector I can use to get my 100" image and I've been waiting forever for a 1080p projector to fit my dimensions. This one gives me 3" of breathing room behind the PJ with the lens 8'4" away from the screen. 100" image and I get to use my 3d blu rays I could use with my GT750! I'll try to post a few pics of the setup when it is done.
kdangit's Avatar kdangit 12:31 PM 01-13-2013
I don't know if this question would be better suited in the calibration thread, but I'll post here first.

Using the Disney WOW disc to adjust color using the included blue filter, how would I actually go about it? It asks me to adjust the color/tint settings for the projector, but I dont' have access to those settings as they are grayed out. I can adjust individual colors, though. What would be the best approach to adjust the individual colors?
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 01:33 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatRocky View Post

Yep, it is the oppo, it even makes cable better by tweaking settings in oppo picture settings. For blueray, it is better to leave oppo at the original settings that i have found.
I go straight for source direct for blu rays. I also like that it has usb ports so I can use my ripped 2d and 3d blu rays to bypass any htpc or media player. It does a lot
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 01:33 PM 01-13-2013
I just calibrated the 1070 using my Chromapure set up. The results are better than then I am getting from my JVC at 3 times the price. Greens are a little off and I did not have time to touch them up. Will do in the future.
The big surprise is that this projector is amazing out of the box. With a few tweaks it will be even better.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 03:37 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

That is exactly what I needed to know. I needed 7" of offset and the lens shift will give me approx 7.5" (130% / max lens shift) based on your your info. The W1070 is getting here tomorrow! Can't wait to set it up. I'm replacing a short throw Optoma GT750 which has served me well but it's only 720p. I have a 10" duct giving me hell about what projector I can use to get my 100" image and I've been waiting forever for a 1080p projector to fit my dimensions. This one gives me 3" of breathing room behind the PJ with the lens 8'4" away from the screen. 100" image and I get to use my 3d blu rays I could use with my GT750! I'll try to post a few pics of the setup when it is done.

Yes, that appears to be correct. My calculator seems to have an issue doing that small amount of shift due to the graphic of the slider. I'll have to fix it later in the next update, but for a 100" 16:9:

Corrected:

Minimum Offset of w1070 = 2.5 inches above or below
(approx 62 mm)
=5% of 50" screen height = 2.5" / 1/2 for center = 1.25"

Maximum Offset of w1070 = 7.5 inches above or below (approx 190mm)
=30% of 50" screen height = 15" / 1/2 for center = 7.5"

This would make sense since my Benq w7000 can be mounted about 6" above a 100" screen, and Benq calls this 125% of vertical lens shift
(of course my projector's offset is center based so I have a lot more play).

For the w70000, the maximum offset is therefore 6.25" instead of 7.5" (25% * 50" = 12.5" / 2 = 6.25")
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 04:51 PM 01-13-2013
There is definitely a small error tolerance in lens shift designs in these projectors (stated in manual after manual), and that is most likely the tolerance from the center.

However, you are right, it's 2.5" minimum, I didn't notice this was the manual for both projectors (w1070 and 1080st). Somehow I was reading the wrong page.

Yes, then to correct what i said, it should be 2.5" to 7.5" within +- 2.5% each side or + - 5% total (does not specify if error applies to the total or is equal in half).
Ziemlichdunkel's Avatar Ziemlichdunkel 05:08 AM 01-14-2013
My Benq1070 with Firmware 1.02 has a weired issue:

Most of the time when connected with a computer it loses Signal from time to time.
No matter which input port (VGA,HDMI) nor which cable used. (also very short ones)

When it loses signal it says "No Signal - Searching" and after a few seconds it's displaying again the picture.
Happens at least when using 1080p/60hz on computer. (already tried also a laptop with same result)
Strange is that I deactivated Auto Source search in the menu options.

When playing around a while, resetting, unpower and changing cables, it works sometimes - but only until next time i try to poweron an watch a movie, then the same problem occures even if I changed nothing.

Any Idea???

best regards, Wess
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 06:29 AM 01-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemlichdunkel View Post

My Benq1070 with Firmware 1.02 has a weired issue:

Most of the time when connected with a computer it loses Signal from time to time.
No matter which input port (VGA,HDMI) nor which cable used. (also very short ones)

When it loses signal it says "No Signal - Searching" and after a few seconds it's displaying again the picture.
Happens at least when using 1080p/60hz on computer. (already tried also a laptop with same result)
Strange is that I deactivated Auto Source search in the menu options.

When playing around a while, resetting, unpower and changing cables, it works sometimes - but only until next time i try to poweron an watch a movie, then the same problem occures even if I changed nothing.

Any Idea???

best regards, Wess

I have had similar issues using a standard HTCP/HDMI cable from my Blu-Ray player. It has something with the HDMI handshake I spent about 15 minutes trying to fix it yesterday. I would suggest that you call Benq with the number provided and point this out. If enough people do this Benq can possibly improve this with the firmware. Having said this Benq is not alone. HDMI has been a problem since day one.
Ziemlichdunkel's Avatar Ziemlichdunkel 07:59 AM 01-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I have had similar issues using a standard HTCP/HDMI cable from my Blu-Ray player. It has something with the HDMI handshake I spent about 15 minutes trying to fix it yesterday. I would suggest that you call Benq with the number provided and point this out. If enough people do this Benq can possibly improve this with the firmware. Having said this Benq is not alone. HDMI has been a problem since day one.

I tried so many cables in different lenght, so I dont think it's an cable issue. I found people with same problems on all kinds of projectors, they all point it to something called "Deep Color".
I noticed that my good old Geforce GTX275 doesn't support this "Deep Color" which seems to be an HDMI Feature.
Maybe the Benq is not so tolerate like other projectors with this setting?

Maybe someone with more experience can enlight me or give us some hints on what to change in NVIDIA-Driver, MPC/VLC or on the Projector itself so we can get a stable connection.

Please keep me informed of your progress in this...
Despoiler's Avatar Despoiler 08:12 AM 01-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemlichdunkel View Post

I tried so many cables in different lenght, so I dont think it's an cable issue. I found people with same problems on all kinds of projectors, they all point it to something called "Deep Color".
I noticed that my good old Geforce GTX275 doesn't support this "Deep Color" which seems to be an HDMI Feature.
Maybe the Benq is not so tolerate like other projectors with this setting?

Maybe someone with more experience can enlight me or give us some hints on what to change in NVIDIA-Driver, MPC/VLC or on the Projector itself so we can get a stable connection.

Please keep me informed of your progress in this...

A deep color issue would be generated at the source. ie your bluray player or HD cable box. You should definitely disable it because no HD broadcasts or blurays support deep color. In your case, the NVIDIA Control Panel has a "Deep Color for 3D Applications" setting that can be set to “disable." This setting is available under Manage 3D Settings using the Program Settings Tab and the Base Profile in the Gloabl Presets pull-down menu.
geezerpl's Avatar geezerpl 08:48 AM 01-14-2013
Which FW version are you on ?
Have you read about the need to send the pj to Benq for upgrading from 1.02 to 1.04 ?
geezerpl's Avatar geezerpl 08:50 AM 01-14-2013

I HIGHLY recommend using Smart Eco and Brilliant Color, makes the picture look outstanding. For the best 3D set brightness to 47, sharpness to 15 and gamma to 1.6. Make sure brilliant color and smart eco are on. For games use same settings except change gamma to 2.0

All said this is a great projector for it's price point. I'm a very happy camper

Which FW version are you on ?
Have you read about the need to send the pj to Benq for upgrading from 1.02 to 1.04 ?
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 09:15 AM 01-14-2013
The 1.6 gamma setting might be ok for a bright room but I don't think it will work for all users. The same might be true for the sharpness and Brilliant Color settings. Each setup will be different. Regarding the firmware update. I suggest that we wait to see what other issues develop and if any other changes will be made in the next few months. It is really too bad that Benq will not let us update the firmware ourselves. It is not a difficult procedure.
tyee's Avatar tyee 12:30 PM 01-14-2013
I think Benq doesn't want to provide customer service for firmware updates. Must of happened in the past and it was a nightmare. Probably the same for other companies. I know lots of us here have done updates to many devices over the years with no problems. It's not hard to run one little program and click "start" or the equivalent.

It think one of the avsforum moderators who Benq trusts should obtain the firmware and post it for us here, providing support in a new thread. I know someone did here years ago when the Onkyo PR-SC885 needed new firmware. Lots of support and I'm sure we all appreciated it. Anyone come to mind??
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 08:05 PM 01-14-2013
New review just published by ProjectorCentral

Highly Recommended

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_w1070_3d_home_video_projector_review.htm
geezerpl's Avatar geezerpl 08:40 PM 01-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I just spoke to Benq USA.

1. At this time there is no user firmware upgrade possible. (This may change in the future.)

2. The latest firmware is 104 which was just released. It fixes an issue with the fan shutting off too soon.

3. Version 103 made in my opinion a more important change. It fixed a flickering issue.

4. Benq suggested that we wait a few months to see if there are any other issues. They will pay shipping both ways and will update the firmware.

5. If you have version 102 please report if you have any flickering issues.

That's quite disturbing news mad.gif

I just received mine from Germany and it says on the box REV 00 101 (manufactured Nov 2012)
Could someone please tell me whether it means FW 1.01 ??

Instead of enjoying it I'm now contemplating sending it back w/o even unboxing.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 08:45 PM 01-14-2013
It's no wonder this thread is so popular, this PJ is pretty much a steal (at least if you have the newer firmware), the best deal we've seen in a long time. There is no doubt this PJ is the best bang for buck if the screen and placement fits. I still wonder about the 3D mode's lumens, and how motion looks in 3D without FI (but 144hz, so not too bad).

Most likely not only is this PJ great in 3D, but also in 2D:

6x color wheel = Less RBE than most other projectors under $1,500 (should be tied to Optoma hd33 or so)

Benq Sharpness = It seems people are saying this is as sharp as the w7000, I'd like to see for myself, but so far nothing says it's not.
--If the above is true, this makes it ONE of the top sharpest projectors under $4000 right now believe it or not. It will most likely be sharper than the Optoma hd33, Mits hc4000, and even the Mits hc8000 as well.

Very Bright and Dark Chip 3 instead of Dark Chip 2

Little bit of lens shift = wow, what more can you want at this price

Maybe the brightest 3D DLP under $3000, we don't know but it looks like it probably is. I am still betting 3D brightness is somewhere between 1150 and 1400 lumens (which is brighter than the others), but it might be even brighter.
leeperry's Avatar leeperry 09:47 PM 01-14-2013

ahhhhhh "SmartEco mode is a bit of a puzzle. The mode claims to reduce brightness based on the content on screen, but it is not a dynamic lamp mode".....some ppl claim that it pumps like hell in fast bright/dark scenes changes, others that it doesn't and this pro reviewer says that it's not dynamic whatsoever huh confused.gif

Tags: Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
First ... 40  41  42 43  44  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop