BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 9829 Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got mine in today from AMZ CA. It was very nicely packed. In-case any of you were wondering whats inside the box I took some pics.

I am however wondering about the firmware edition.... Mine says "version 00- 101"... does that mean I got firmware version 1.01? rolleyes.gifmad.gif

I wont get a chance to set this puppy up until the weekend so cant really comment on anything else but boy am I excited to get my first projector! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
BENQ's mystery FW / REV numbering revealed here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/18331066-post72.html

I'm sending my unit back to reseller w/o even opening the box. I will be also asking BENQ for a compensation (W1070 postage).
They shouldn't have released a non-tested product w/o the possibility to upgrade FW by users themselves ! Shame on you Benq
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.
post #1263 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Many companies do not allow users to upgrade firmware for many reasons. Epson did this for many years before they changed and Sony often does the same with their projectors. The upgrade procedure requires special cables and some knowledge beyond just upgrading via a usb port. I would suggest that before you return the unit you should request that Benq update the firmware. They will pay shipping both ways. According the box you probably have 102 firmware on your unit. I had the same codes on my box.
post #1264 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpl View Post

That's quite disturbing news mad.gif

I just received mine from Germany and it says on the box REV 00 101 (manufactured Nov 2012)
Could someone please tell me whether it means FW 1.01 ??

Instead of enjoying it I'm now contemplating sending it back w/o even unboxing.

If it was manufactured in Nov you probably have firmware 102 or 103. The Oct units have 102 the Dec 103. Firmware 104 was just released.
The flickering and fan issues were only on a few units. I spoke to Benq and they will upgrade the firmware free of charge but they suggested waiting to see if any other changes are made in a few months.

Firmware changes are common on new products and this is not a reason to return you projector unless there is a problem. It would be nice to let the individual do the upgrade themselves but Benq probably feels that because of the use of special serial cables it might be difficult for some users to do it. Hopefully this will change

This is a great projector for the price for both 2D and 3D. It does not have the blacks of a JVC or higher priced Epson but for most the picture is amazing. I watched several films in both 2D and 3D on the projector after calibration (very easy) and I have been amazed how good it looks. I am using Cinema Mode with Brilliant Color turned off. I have set the Gamma at 2.4 since I have a bat cave room. I love the bright picture with good contrast and 3D is great without ghosting.
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.
post #1265 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I noticed the W1080ST is now listed on the Amazon US site. Shows temporarily out of stock as of today.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1080ST-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00B11C6HW/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1358259009&sr=1-17&keywords=home+cinema
post #1266 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone knowi if this projector accept 1080p 72hz ?
I'm just thinking of getting 2 dlp 1080p72hz capable + a couple of hdfury4 and a silver screen and so builtda 3D passive system smile.gif
post #1267 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM

So I realize this is probably a good value even at the current price that I was looking at of $1075 no tax at an online dealer but since its been cheaper in other markets I just wonder if I should expect that price to come down quickly once stores start getting a lot of stock. Also is it worth waiting to try to get a newer firmware version?

Then I am wondering how this would compare to the Epson 3020 that I picked up a few weeks back? I really like the color pop and brightness of the 3020 compared to my old Optoma hd65 and I know Epson support is supposed to be the best in the business but regardless I feel like I need to return it and go with dlp because I live in West Texas and dust is really bad out here. As for my room situation I project onto a 110in screen and while I can black it all the way out I like to have some small wall lighting on while I have my kids in there with me.
post #1268 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm a novice at this... Comparing the W1070 and W1080ST, will the W1080ST be "brighter" since at the same screen size, it can be placed closer? (same lamp, it appears)
post #1269 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If it was manufactured in Nov you probably have firmware 102 or 103. The Oct units have 102 the Dec 103. Firmware 104 was just released.
The flickering and fan issues were only on a few units. I spoke to Benq and they will upgrade the firmware free of charge but they suggested waiting to see if any other changes are made in a few months.

Firmware changes are common on new products and this is not a reason to return you projector unless there is a problem. It would be nice to let the individual do the upgrade themselves but Benq probably feels that because of the use of special serial cables it might be difficult for some users to do it. Hopefully this will change

This is a great projector for the price for both 2D and 3D. It does not have the blacks of a JVC or higher priced Epson but for most the picture is amazing. I watched several films in both 2D and 3D on the projector after calibration (very easy) and I have been amazed how good it looks. I am using Cinema Mode with Brilliant Color turned off. I have set the Gamma at 2.4 since I have a bat cave room. I love the bright picture with good contrast and 3D is great without ghosting.

What is your take on Brilliant Color On vs Off? I am seeing mixed reviews.

Are you running in Eco or SmartEco?
post #1270 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfanatico View Post

So I realize this is probably a good value even at the current price that I was looking at of $1075 no tax at an online dealer but since its been cheaper in other markets I just wonder if I should expect that price to come down quickly once stores start getting a lot of stock. Also is it worth waiting to try to get a newer firmware version?

Then I am wondering how this would compare to the Epson 3020 that I picked up a few weeks back? I really like the color pop and brightness of the 3020 compared to my old Optoma hd65 and I know Epson support is supposed to be the best in the business but regardless I feel like I need to return it and go with dlp because I live in West Texas and dust is really bad out here. As for my room situation I project onto a 110in screen and while I can black it all the way out I like to have some small wall lighting on while I have my kids in there with me.

2 reasons to wait.

1) Price will definitely come down. How long? Who knows, 3 months, 6 months, a year. Once stores like BB, Amazon, Newegg, etc have them stock competition will kick in and prices will drop. So if you don't need now, take your time and wait. That's what I am doing

2) FW: As newer units start to ship, you would surely get 1.04v FW or later so you don't have to worry about getting one of the older units if you buy now.
post #1271 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I like brilliant color off but it is a matter of taste. I think it depends on the light in the room. I am usng SmartEco.

I don't think the Projector Central reviewer understood the benefits o SmartECo. Check out Trusted Reviews for information about it.
post #1272 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbeat View Post

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm a novice at this... Comparing the W1070 and W1080ST, will the W1080ST be "brighter" since at the same screen size, it can be placed closer? (same lamp, it appears)

I don't think most people would notice much of a difference but it would be interesting to find out. I also think he 1080 might be better suited for presentation or gaming under certain conditions.
post #1273 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like brilliant color off but it is a matter of taste. I think it depends on the light in the room. I am usng SmartEco.

I don't think the Projector Central reviewer understood the benefits o SmartECo. Check out Trusted Reviews for information about it.

Yeah, I read that review too. Looks like TR likes the SmartEco on, while Projector Central and Projector Review do not.

Did you calibrate your PJ? I would imagine you want to calibrate with both those settings off so it doesn't mess with the calibration, then you can switch them back on if you prefer.
post #1274 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I read that review too. Looks like TR likes the SmartEco on, while Projector Central and Projector Review do not.

Did you calibrate your PJ? I would imagine you want to calibrate with both those settings off so it doesn't mess with the calibration, then you can switch them back on if you prefer.

I have a DVDO-I-Scan so I did quickly calibrate using Cinema and SmartEco. The results were very good. I also checked the results out of the box and they are much better than most projectors especially using Cimema nad Smart Eco. I don't think the person who did the review at ProjctorCentral understood Smarteco mode. I just read Art's review and Projectrreviews and he does seem to suggest using the SmartEco setting.
post #1275 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpl View Post

BENQ's mystery FW / REV numbering revealed here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/18331066-post72.html

I'm sending my unit back to reseller w/o even opening the box. I will be also asking BENQ for a compensation (W1070 postage).
They shouldn't have released a non-tested product w/o the possibility to upgrade FW by users themselves ! Shame on you Benq

Quote:

^^^ Thanks to the both of you for the posts. Personally Im just going to wait a few months until they have worked out any bugs and just send it in for a firmware update. Part of the deal I guess. Once I have the PJ up and running Ill post what FW my unit has (I assume you can check somewhere in the PJ menus?).
post #1276 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a DVDO-I-Scan so I did quickly calibrate using Cinema and SmartEco. The results were very good. I also checked the results out of the box and they are much better than most projectors especially using Cimema nad Smart Eco. I don't think the person who did the review at ProjctorCentral understood Smarteco mode. I just read Art's review and Projectrreviews and he does seem to suggest using the SmartEco setting.

Thanks for the responses, looking forward to having this projector in my batcave soon.
post #1277 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:

2 reasons to wait.

1) Price will definitely come down. How long? Who knows, 3 months, 6 months, a year. Once stores like BB, Amazon, Newegg, etc have them stock competition will kick in and prices will drop. So if you don't need now, take your time and wait. That's what I am doing

2) FW: As newer units start to ship, you would surely get 1.04v FW or later so you don't have to worry about getting one of the older units if you buy now.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but I sure would like to have it before the Super Bowl.
post #1278 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

coderguy "problem being you cannot control 3D lumens like you can in 2D modes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

Great option for someone who lives in US.
That sucks... I own 720p Acer H5360BD. Can't change modes in 3D, from "movie" to "bright" for example, but I can adjust brightness, contrast, gamma etc. This is very useful, because 3D is too dim out of box.

My Optoma GT750 (720p) allows 3D lumen control and you can select anyone of the preset image modes (3D, cinema, game, user etc) when handling a 3D input signal. So achieving 2000+ lumens in 3D mode is very nice.

scottyroo: I'm thinking of also upgrading my 750 to the Benq was wondering if you had any comparison thoughts? In particular the resolution improvement and 3D brightness and fluidity. One critique I have of the gt750 is no frame interpolation with 3D and fast action tends to show shudder/judder type artifacts. The 144hz display rate of the Benq supposedly helps with this. Would like to upgrade to 1080p but don't want a drop in brightness in 3D and I'm very bummed they didn't put a VESA sync output so I could use my RF 3D glasses.

Derek
post #1279 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Yah, I know in many projectors you cannot change 3D lumen modes.
That is why I said someone needs to measure the 3D mode of the w1070 so we know how many lumens it is outputting raw before the glasses.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1280 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What glasses are best for these that most are using? I know they have to be 144Hz but which ones work best?

(Am in the UK but happy to get them shipped over)

Jamie
post #1281 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post

I noticed the W1080ST is now listed on the Amazon US site. Shows temporarily out of stock as of today.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1080ST-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00B11C6HW/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1358259009&sr=1-17&keywords=home+cinema

The W1080ST is also showing up on the BenQ shop. I'm really anxious for the short throw as we play a lot of WII games and this would be perfect for our theater / game room.

http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=482
post #1282 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

The W1080ST is also showing up on the BenQ shop. I'm really anxious for the short throw as we play a lot of WII games and this would be perfect for our theater / game room.

http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=482

Ordered mine!

Jack
post #1283 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Can anyone confirm if smart eco actually saves 70% lamp life and eco just saves 30% lamp life? I thought smart eco would be like a dynamic lamp mode and eco would just be at the minimal brightness at all times.

I'm running smart eco for the sake of it and everyone says it's good. I can't help but to keep comparing brilliant color on and off....with it off, at times it feels as though the scene looks a little dim or maybe it was filmed that way...but sometimes, it just looks more naturally like correct sunlight.

In the movie looper, the scene where teh camera pans across the people running across the farm field....the blue sky and green grass all look quite dim with it turned off, but it looks like real life with it on.
even looking at desktop backgrounds.......the whites with brilliant color off looks more grey....with it on, the white is actually white.
post #1284 of 9829 Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe bobo View Post

Can anyone confirm if smart eco actually saves 70% lamp life and eco just saves 30% lamp life? I thought smart eco would be like a dynamic lamp mode and eco would just be at the minimal brightness at all times.

I'm running smart eco for the sake of it and everyone says it's good. I can't help but to keep comparing brilliant color on and off....with it off, at times it feels as though the scene looks a little dim or maybe it was filmed that way...but sometimes, it just looks more naturally like correct sunlight.

In the movie looper, the scene where teh camera pans across the people running across the farm field....the blue sky and green grass all look quite dim with it turned off, but it looks like real life with it on.
even looking at desktop backgrounds.......the whites with brilliant color off looks more grey....with it on, the white is actually white.

The owners manual says up to 70% lamp live savings for SmartEco and 30 for Eco. This will be impossible to confirm since the projector is new and 6000 hours is a long time away for most users. The good part is that the lamps for the 1070 are much less expensive that some others. I would suggest that image quality should be the first reason to choose one mode over another. I happen to like the way SmartEco calibrates and works. It also depends on how much light you have in the room and screen size.
post #1285 of 9829 Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

I don't know if anyone saw, but the W1070 is in stock on BenQ's US site now.

http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=481

I really want a new projector and am looking at this one. I currently have a Marantz VP4001. I'm not sure if the tech has progressed enough that an entry level PJ is a lateral trade or if it would be an improvement. It's this PJ or go upto the $2000 price point.

Same EXACT situation as me. Maybe you'll be the Canary in the cave for me and see what happens....? ;-)

If this projector is a 1080p/3D equivalent of the VP4001 (at this price), I'd buy it in a nanosecond....but is it?
post #1286 of 9829 Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM

The VP4001 is a 720p projector and the BenQ is a 1080p so it is a no brainer.....
post #1287 of 9829 Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 16
I have mine in classified department if anyone interested
post #1288 of 9829 Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by modde239 View Post

The VP4001 is a 720p projector and the BenQ is a 1080p so it is a no brainer.....

I'm sure it's better, but the question I'm struggling with is by how much. The VP4001 is one of the best 720P projectors ever made. Good glass and the scaler is good. I'm waffling between W1070 or going up to a W7000 to make sure the jump is apparent.
post #1289 of 9829 Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not seen anyone yet compare the 1070 and the 7000. We do know that the 1070 is brighter and may be better for 3D. The placement options for the w7000 are better.
post #1290 of 9829 Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I have not seen anyone yet compare the 1070 and the 7000. We do know that the 1070 is brighter and may be better for 3D. The placement options for the w7000 are better.
I am waiting on it to be less than $850. I had the W7000 and I liked it better than my jvc RS40, 48, and 55. I had to change my room around, so the W7000 didn't work anymore in my room. I'm almost positive that w1070 would be better for 2D with the DC3 vs DC2. The W7000 had better placement and has FI in 3D, which I never used for 3D or 2D. The main thing is that the bulb life is 6000 in smart eco mode compared to 2500 in eco mode for the W7000. I'm very curious to see how it compares tho. I'm missing how sports look on a dlp compared to my jvc
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page