BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1621 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Member
 
jbpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought one from visual apex on Tuesday for my basement - it's 12.5x26 with an 8'8" ceiling.

jbpj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1622 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Solarbeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: la, ca
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I don't think this is correct. The projector must be higher (~2" - 7") than top on screen surface when ceiling mounted.

I've got to be missing something... or maybe it's just unsuitable for my setup... here's what Benq shows:

Solarbeat is offline  
post #1623 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Hotlanta, GA
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbeat View Post

I've got to be missing something... or maybe it's just unsuitable for my setup... here's what Benq shows:


Looks correct to me. Ceiling to screen is 1'11" and ceiling to projector is 1'9" so the projector lens is 2" above the screen. With the lens shift you can go 7" above the screen.
Ranger is offline  
post #1624 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Member
 
sharkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arg... Life is so unfair! Ordered a W1070 from ProjectorPeople on 1/23. Got a call back right away saying that they didn't have any in stock but would drop ship one directly from Benq. I told my friend about the projector and he ordered his on 1/24 (the day after me!) His shipped within a couple hours! WTF? ProjectorPeople called me this morning and informed me that Benq is completely out of stock and do not have an estimate on when they will be available for drop ship. Its likely going to be several weeks. My buddies shipped because when he ordered they happened to have a couple in stock. Mine was already in the "drop ship" queue. I hate getting burned by poor timing. Looks like this thing is going to be in short supply for a while.
sharkus is offline  
post #1625 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 View Post

Anyone compare the DLP link glasses to Nvidia on this projector? On my H5360 the contrast appeared better with the Nvidia and the DLP's looked washed out. Thanks.

I don't think the Nvidia glasses will work since the W1070 need 144k glasses.
rwestley is offline  
post #1626 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Member
 
jbpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkus View Post

Arg... Life is so unfair! Ordered a W1070 from ProjectorPeople on 1/23. Got a call back right away saying that they didn't have any in stock but would drop ship one directly from Benq. I told my friend about the projector and he ordered his on 1/24 (the day after me!) His shipped within a couple hours! WTF? ProjectorPeople called me this morning and informed me that Benq is completely out of stock and do not have an estimate on when they will be available for drop ship. Its likely going to be several weeks. My buddies shipped because when he ordered they happened to have a couple in stock. Mine was already in the "drop ship" queue. I hate getting burned by poor timing. Looks like this thing is going to be in short supply for a while.

Visual Apex shows that it is in stock. Comes with a dust cover and the Disney WOW calibration disc. Maybe they can get one to you before they run out.

http://www.visualapex.com/BenQ/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=W1070

jbpj is offline  
post #1627 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If you decide to wait you will get the latest production with updated firmware.
rwestley is offline  
post #1628 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Newbie
 
Andreafletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know offhand if the w-1070 comes with mount screws, or do I need to go out a buy a few?
Andreafletcher is offline  
post #1629 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreafletcher View Post

Does anyone know offhand if the w-1070 comes with mount screws, or do I need to go out a buy a few?

The projector does not come with screws but most universal mounts have various sizes in the box.
rwestley is offline  
post #1630 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkus View Post

Arg... Life is so unfair! Ordered a W1070 from ProjectorPeople on 1/23. Got a call back right away saying that they didn't have any in stock but would drop ship one directly from Benq. I told my friend about the projector and he ordered his on 1/24 (the day after me!) His shipped within a couple hours! WTF? ProjectorPeople called me this morning and informed me that Benq is completely out of stock and do not have an estimate on when they will be available for drop ship. Its likely going to be several weeks. My buddies shipped because when he ordered they happened to have a couple in stock. Mine was already in the "drop ship" queue. I hate getting burned by poor timing. Looks like this thing is going to be in short supply for a while.

Don't despair yet. I ordered 1/23 and just received ship confirmation and invoice. smile.gif
Keith AP is offline  
post #1631 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Newbie
 
Andreafletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ya, was just wondering, trying save a few buck so grabbed http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OT4RZE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 and just going to drill the 3 holes through the plate and mount it upside down, high up on wall behind seating. Don't suppose anyone has the size number for screws?
Andreafletcher is offline  
post #1632 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
levy07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thought I read on a site that it works with Nvidia but I could be wrong. So is the 144hz equal to 24fps per eye? Thanks.
levy07 is offline  
post #1633 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 View Post

Thought I read on a site that it works with Nvidia but I could be wrong. So is the 144hz equal to 24fps per eye? Thanks.

I am guessing that it would work with video games and Nvidia glasses. If the glasses are not 144kz it will not work with Blu-Ray players.
rwestley is offline  
post #1634 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreafletcher View Post

Ya, was just wondering, trying save a few buck so grabbed http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OT4RZE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 and just going to drill the 3 holes through the plate and mount it upside down, high up on wall behind seating. Don't suppose anyone has the size number for screws?

Manual states:
Ceiling mount screws:
M4 (Max L = 25 mm; Min L= 20 mm)

From the diagram, it looks like three screws are needed.
Keith AP is offline  
post #1635 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Greg Flowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbeat View Post

I've got to be missing something... or maybe it's just unsuitable for my setup... here's what Benq shows:


Ranger is correct. If you want the top of your screen to be 1' 11" below the ceiling, the lens of the W1070 will need to be between 1' 4'' and 1' 9" below the ceiling. So unless you are very tall I don't see the problem. If it is mounted over a couch or chair then it would be even less problematic. I personally like my screen a little higher than yours.
Greg Flowers is offline  
post #1636 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Sir_Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpj View Post

Visual Apex shows that it is in stock. Comes with a dust cover and the Disney WOW calibration disc. Maybe they can get one to you before they run out.

http://www.visualapex.com/BenQ/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=W1070

They drop ship from BenQ also. Ordered mine Monday and it arrived today. Build date of December 2012.
Sir_Q is offline  
post #1637 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Member
 
empinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Q View Post

They drop ship from BenQ also. Ordered mine Monday and it arrived today. Build date of December 2012.

WTF!!! I ordered last Friday night from Vapex after close of business. Fedex tracking shows order info was received at 6:00 A.M. on Wednesday....no departure scan or location updates at all.mad.gif Everything else I ordered from Vapex shipped on Tuesday and the screen will arrive from Chicago on Monday.
empinball is offline  
post #1638 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post

So guys...those of you that use this with a htpc. Do you just set your desktop resolution to 1080p 24 or 60 (which one?) Or do you switch it back and fourth to 24 while watching a movie?

With my different projector - applies to every 1080p projector - if you use PowerDvd 10 or greater, that media player switches your resolution for you. I keep my PC desktop running at 1080p 60 hz which is usually the "native"resolution for PC but whenever I play a movie, even a 3D movie, PowerDvd takes over and at most for a 3D movie I just have to click on that 3D icon and it takes care of the rest. It plays at 1080p 24fps. Once the movie is over, my desktop returns to the 1080p 60fps which is much better for mouse movement etc.

If you want to play a 3D video at 720p 60fps, then you would have to set your desktop to that first and then play the video in, say, stereoscopic player, but that is an advanced technique for 3D videos with fast motion, and would not be relevant to BlyRay playback.

If you use a different media player thanPowerDvd, then, we'll, I'm not sure. but for that one, you can keep your desktop to native mode, 1080p 60 and let it handle the switch to 24 fps for you.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #1639 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
W1080ST chinese review:
http://it.21cn.com/prnews/a/2013/0109/06/20191782.shtml

Please look at page 5 of the review. Does W1070 have the same focusing problem?
Skylinestar is online now  
post #1640 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Member
 
mekret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

W1080ST chinese review:
http://it.21cn.com/prnews/a/2013/0109/06/20191782.shtml

Please look at page 5 of the review. Does W1070 have the same focusing problem?

Should probably put a nsfw tag on that
mekret is offline  
post #1641 of 9684 Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
yyy484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

W1080ST chinese review:
http://it.21cn.com/prnews/a/2013/0109/06/20191782.shtml

Please look at page 5 of the review. Does W1070 have the same focusing problem?

EN W1080ST chinese review
Code:
The short-throw projector convergence problems, business education short-throw projector, home short focal difficult to avoid.
yyy484 is offline  
post #1642 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have checked the focus on the 1070 and it is excellent with a very sharp picture. I think the focus issue may have something to do with the short throw on the ST model. The focus and zoom controls are, however, not that smooth so one has to be careful when making adjustments. It may take a little longer than projectors with more refined adjustments.
rwestley is offline  
post #1643 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I have checked the focus on the 1070 and it is excellent with a very sharp picture. I think the focus issue may have something to do with the short throw on the ST model. The focus and zoom controls are, however, not that smooth so one has to be careful when making adjustments. It may take a little longer than projectors with more refined adjustments.

The focus on the W1070 coming from looks like a small cheap lens is astounding. The optics are obviously high quality - and the lens is well matched to this projector.

I don't mind the stiff focus and loose zoom. Since, once I have established zoom and focus I can leave it alone. The ONLY problem I foresee is having to constantly refocus - since the little string-attached lens cap fits directly onto the lens itself which you can't help turning slightly (causing defocusing) each time the cap is removed and replaced. The Epson units use a lens cap too - but their design is smarter. With the Epson's, the lens cap is placed in the recess that houses the lens - but doesn't touch it directly. It covers the entire lens area, so that using the cap doesn't make contact with the lens directly - thus it doesn't disturb the good focus you've established. Having said this, it's a small complaint considering how good the optics are and how good things are in general.

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #1644 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Bsims2719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking about buying this projector. Is there any issue with the firmware? I think I read in earlier posts that it can only be updated by the factor. Is this correct??
Bsims2719 is offline  
post #1645 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Im having a problem getting the projector centred to the screen after ceiling mounting it. I mounted it in the distance range recommended by many calculators online including BenQ's and others. But the image just wont match up horizontally regardless of how much I zoom in or out... what gives? This is my first projector so I may have mounted it incorrectly but as I understand it the centre of the lens of needs to be exactly at the centre of the screen horizontally, yes? So for example I have a 92" 16:9 screen which is basically 80" wide. So if I mount the projector where the centre of the lens is at 40" horizontally lined up with the screen I should have a perfectly centred image horizontally, yes?

Issue is Im out by a lot at the moment horizontally (like 6-7") and I dont think I mounted it that incorrectly... Perhaps its a setting in the PJ or something? I have it at auto aspect ratio.

Any help is appreciated...
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
post #1646 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Member
 
AaronPSU79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

Im having a problem getting the projector centred to the screen after ceiling mounting it. I mounted it in the distance range recommended by many calculators online including BenQ's and others. But the image just wont match up horizontally regardless of how much I zoom in or out... what gives? This is my first projector so I may have mounted it incorrectly but as I understand it the centre of the lens of needs to be exactly at the centre of the screen horizontally, yes? So for example I have a 92" 16:9 screen which is basically 80" wide. So if I mount the projector where the centre of the lens is at 40" horizontally lined up with the screen I should have a perfectly centred image horizontally, yes?

Issue is Im out by a lot at the moment horizontally (like 6-7") and I dont think I mounted it that incorrectly... Perhaps its a setting in the PJ or something? I have it at auto aspect ratio.

Any help is appreciated...

If I understand your problem correctly just rotate the body of the projector until the image is in the right place.
AaronPSU79 is offline  
post #1647 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPSU79 View Post

If I understand your problem correctly just rotate the body of the projector until the image is in the right place.

wont that make the image then uneven and create keystone problems? I thought the idea was to have the projector as straight on parallel as possible to the screen.

Still looking for a suggestion to my problem below if anyone can help, please...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

Im having a problem getting the projector centred to the screen after ceiling mounting it. I mounted it in the distance range recommended by many calculators online including BenQ's and others. But the image just wont match up horizontally regardless of how much I zoom in or out... what gives? This is my first projector so I may have mounted it incorrectly but as I understand it the centre of the lens of needs to be exactly at the centre of the screen horizontally, yes? So for example I have a 92" 16:9 screen which is basically 80" wide. So if I mount the projector where the centre of the lens is at 40" horizontally lined up with the screen I should have a perfectly centred image horizontally, yes?

Issue is Im out by a lot at the moment horizontally (like 6-7") and I dont think I mounted it that incorrectly... Perhaps its a setting in the PJ or something? I have it at auto aspect ratio.

When I move the projector lens about 6" left of the centre of the screen the image then seems to be correctly displaying at-least horizontally.... does that seem right? I thought the idea was to have the centre of the lens exactly centre with the screen to get the image correct horizontally...

Any help is appreciated...
Thunder_God_Thor is offline  
post #1648 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Member
 
AaronPSU79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

wont that make the image then uneven and create keystone problems? I thought the idea was to have the projector as straight on parallel as possible to the screen.

Still looking for a suggestion to my problem below if anyone can help, please...

How do you know you don't have keystone problems now? Have you checked? Rotate the projector until the image is where you want it, then check the image using some of the calibration features. If the image is stretched or skewed and you cannot compensate for it using the built in adjustments then you will have to reposition the projector. Typically yes, the projector will be in the center of the screen and perpendicular to it. How did you make sure you are in the exact center? Maybe your wall isn't straight and it threw your measurements off. Sometimes people just use a tape measure and more or less eyeball things and hope it's good enough.
AaronPSU79 is offline  
post #1649 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Newbie
 
macster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

wont that make the image then uneven and create keystone problems? I thought the idea was to have the projector as straight on parallel as possible to the screen.

Still looking for a suggestion to my problem below if anyone can help, please...

Mmmm, that's strange. I demo'd a w1070 and the centre of the lens was in line with the centre of the screen - the top and bottom of the projected image were both totally straight i.e. no sign of horizontal keystone. It's a longshot, but maybe your screen isn't totally parallel to the projector??
macster2 is offline  
post #1650 of 9684 Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Newbie
 
macster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macster2 View Post

Mmmm, that's strange. I demo'd a w1070 and the centre of the lens was in line with the centre of the screen - the top and bottom of the projected image were both totally straight i.e. no sign of horizontal keystone. It's a longshot, but maybe your screen isn't totally parallel to the projector??

I see while I was typing my response Aaron replied in a similar way. I'd agree with all he had to say. It does sound like perhaps your measurements are slightly out. If the wall you're measuring from isn't totally straight and/or the screen isn't totally parallel to the projector and/or your measurements aren't totally spot on then you may well see some horizontal keystoning (6 or 7" does seem extreme though). Hope this helps smile.gif
macster2 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off