BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, whats the verdict on Brilliant Color? Are you guys using it or no? What about Smart Eco? I know that our settings are all going to be different after calibration, but what about settings like sharpness, Clarity Control (noise reduction), Gamma etc? What is everyone using?

I myself have Brilliant Color ON, Smart Eco, Sharpness at 0, 2.4 gamma, noise reduction 7 (default)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmermccurdy View Post

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll try to get a replacement. I shouldn't have to wait for a firmware update so that I can safely use my brand-new projector.

No, I'm at pretty close to sea level.

I'm frankly astonished that BenQ would let projectors out the door with potentially destructive firmware that they know is bad. How many $$$$ lamps are going to fail early because less-vigilant owners don't realize that their 103-endowed projectors are compromised? A recall should've been announced, and no projectors with 103 should've been shipped after 104 was released.

I think the problem was only found on a few units and might have gotten worse when they did the 103 firmware change. I also did not realize that the 103 firmware had a problem. I only saw it reported once with the 102 firmware on the forum. It might have been a random problem that Benq missed. Benq does have good customer support and I am sure you will get your unit fixed or replaced immediately. As I stated I have a unit with 102 firmware but I don't plan to send it in for an upgrade for a while to see if any other issues develop. I do not have the fan issue and my fan stays on for about two minutes after it shuts down.

Regarding Brilliant color, I have it turned off since I am using it in a totally dark room. I use Smarteco mode and I have the gamma raised to 2.4 using cinema mode.
post #1713 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I think the problem was only found on a few units and might have gotten worse when they did the 103 firmware change. I also did not realize that the 103 firmware had a problem. I only saw it reported once with the 102 firmware on the forum. It might have been a random problem that Benq missed. Benq does have good customer support and I am sure you will get your unit fixed or replaced immediately. As I stated I have a unit with 102 firmware but I don't plan to send it in for an upgrade for a while to see if any other issues develop. I do not have the fan issue and my fan stays on for about two minutes after it shuts down.

Regarding Brilliant color, I have it turned off since I am using it in a totally dark room. I use Smarteco mode and I have the gamma raised to 2.4 using cinema mode.
do u know how many lumens u are getting in smarteco mode?
post #1714 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM

Looks like BENQ fixed one thing in FW 1.03 (flicker) while screwing another (lamp). They were thinking these 2 apparent problems were software issue while in fact it was hardware problem (a bunch of faulty projectors)

I was told by BENQ in Poland they won't do any free FW upgrade unless THEIR service people check the projector and confirm sth is wrong wit it.
Otherwise the Customer has to pay $40 for the "peace of mind"

So far I don't see any flicker on Smart ECO and don't have the premature shutdown issue but what's annoying is the variable fan speed in Smart ECO (depending on the image brightness the fan goes from ECO-noise to NORMAL / 3D noise...)
post #1715 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Fellas I want purchase this PJ so badly I can't take it. I was comparing it to the Epson 8350 and was leaning towards the 8350, but the (seemingly) widespread convergence issues with it has scared the bejesus out of me. With this unit, it's the rainbows which a good sum (from scouring this thread) seem to be getting. I'm a bit sensitive to them myself and I of course fear for my guests...can anyone else who sees them rate this PJ 1-10 for me, 1 being horrendous, 10 being non existent? I know it's a bit goofy to base a decision on what others see, but I'd really appreciate gaining a bit of perspective on it and I cannot view it, locally.

thanks a ton all!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #1716 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Fellas I want purchase this PJ so badly I can't take it. I was comparing it to the Epson 8350 and was leaning towards the 8350, but the (seemingly) widespread convergence issues with it has scared the bejesus out of me. With this unit, it's the rainbows which a good sum (from scouring this thread) seem to be getting. I'm a bit sensitive to them myself and I of course fear for my guests...can anyone else who sees them rate this PJ 1-10 for me, 1 being horrendous, 10 being non existent? I know it's a bit goofy to base a decision on what others see, but I'd really appreciate gaining a bit of perspective on it and I cannot view it, locally.

thanks a ton all!

James

There is really no way to compare one persons impact of the RBE to another. It really depends on the person. The good news is that most people do not see it. I am one of the lucky ones.
post #1717 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

do u know how many lumens u are getting in smarteco mode?

I have not measured it but as other reviewers have said it is still very bright in Smarteco mode. That is the big surprise.
post #1718 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

There is really no way to compare one persons impact of the RBE to another. It really depends on the person. The good news is that most people do not see it. I am one of the lucky ones.

I understand. But of course some PJs are better (and worse) than others at producing them so it helps a bit to have some FB from those who DO (see them) and have experience with other PJs that are likely better or worse.

I'm almost obligated to take a chance on this unit anyway at this price, so I'll prolly end up seeing (or not, lol) for myself soon enough.

thanks,

James
reybie likes this.

post #1719 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 11
post #1720 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice one^

Hey gang: if usage of the benq calc is correct, it appears that I cannot have an image smaller than 101" at 11'?

http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/

That sucks cause that's how far it will be a the back of my room (perhaps a BIT further, even) and I really want a 100" screen).

I realize I could ceiling mount, but I would like to be able to use the PJ outside during the summer for movies.

Hopefully I'm missing something.

thanks!

James

post #1721 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Good deal. Only drawback is that due to Newegg having the price over inflated for so long, I doubt they've moved many at all, hence the sale. As such, they probably have a bunch of early batch units with old firmware.

I'm itching to pull the trigger before these deals end, but common sense is telling me to wait a while and let the firmware issues get sorted, as well as seeing what the Acer H6510BD has to offer, or even better, see if BenQ comes out with a W7000 successor. In a few months, $899 or there about will likely be the norm I'd wager.

post #1722 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Good deal. Only drawback is that due to Newegg having the price over inflated for so long, I doubt they've moved many at all, hence the sale. As such, they probably have a bunch of early batch units with old firmware.

I'm itching to pull the trigger before these deals end, but common sense is telling me to wait a while and let the firmware issues get sorted, as well as seeing what the Acer H6510BD has to offer, or even better, see if BenQ comes out with a W7000 successor. In a few months, $899 or there about will likely be the norm I'd wager.

That is a tempting deal but your comment made me think twice about old firmware mad.gif. Is there really some obvious flaws with the old firmware that I should be concerned about? I'm satisfied with a good image and I'm replacing a 720P mits hd1000 so anything better than that picture I would not nitpick.
post #1723 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM

Tempted to jump on the W1070 while it's still 899 at VA, but I too am hesitating because of the firmware. I'm just down the street from what seems like Benq HQ though -- I wonder if they'd take a walk-in firmware update? (seriously)
post #1724 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post

That is a tempting deal but your comment made me think twice about old firmware mad.gif. Is there really some obvious flaws with the old firmware that I should be concerned about? I'm satisfied with a good image and I'm replacing a 720P mits hd1000 so anything better than that picture I would not nitpick.

I would snatch one, Most of the issue's with earlier firmware people haven't noticed, that and BenQ in the USA anyway has always been great at updating the firmware for customers. Reading this thread there are many with early firmwares and using them till they feel the firmware updates are done and then sending in, good sign they are happy with current firmware anyway. No advice on if should wait for upcoming projectors.
post #1725 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My PJ will be in today. Can't wait to fire it up! I'm also curious to see what firmware I have...It appears PP, ordered from benq...since they were out of stock at the time of my order.
post #1726 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71

You beat me to it.

Must be an SDer wink.gif.
post #1727 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post

The fan issue seems like it could be a big deal if you're one of the people that has that issue.

It's not even so much about the deal breaker issue with me as it is just the fact that it's a new product, so you know that there will be some issues in the beginning. Some major, some minor, and the fact that you can't upgrade the firmware yourself is a huge turn off to me.

I'd like a giant screen experience in my house like yesterday, but I can't help but think, that for me at least, it might be prudent to just let the dust settle a little. Might end up with a cheaper price (not by much though if at all). Also might get a chance to see what Acer has up their sleeve. They usually have better black levels than BenQ.

I'm also even interested in seeing the W1500. I know it's supposed to be very similar to the W1070, at least with the limited info we have now, but from the pics, the design is different with no grills on the front. Considering that the W1070 has a light leakage issue with the front grills, I'm curious to know if maybe it's a non issue on the W1500. That could be worthwhile. Wireless HDMI solutions are very appealing to me, which is another thing that intrigues me about the W1500, and the Epson e's for that matter, but not really feeling 3LCD convergence, which is why I'm looking at DLP, despite lower contrast ratios.

Lastly, I'm holding out hope of a W8000 with a DC3, DI, and higher lumen numbers. That's probably a pipe dream though. Either way, it looks like a pretty good time to be in the market for a DLP PJ, and the W1070 isn't going anywhere.

post #1728 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

I would snatch one, Most of the issue's with earlier firmware people haven't noticed, that and BenQ in the USA anyway has always been great at updating the firmware for customers. Reading this thread there are many with early firmwares and using them till they feel the firmware updates are done and then sending in, good sign they are happy with current firmware anyway. No advice on if should wait for upcoming projectors.

It's not that they won't upgrade your firmware, so much as how they go about it. Having to ship your product to them, that you most likely have mounted on the ceiling, and being without it for weeks, and they don't send you a loaner or anything, especially when it's new, to me, is not a positive experience.

If it were broken and needed servicing that would be one thing, but for a firmware upgrade? Which fixes a QA snafu on their part?? Not acceptable.

Just my thoughts.

post #1729 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the feedbacks. Still really tempting, I wonder if the other vendors would match that $50 from the Egg.
post #1730 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 23
I found a posting somewhere about the firmware versions . . . here's a bit of info. about firmware version 1.03 and 1.04:

Firmware 1.04:
When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan can’t reach target then shut down.
Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
can’t be kept.

I just set up my projector last night and watched a Blu-ray. I had a demo to test before buy ingmy own W1070, and both this unit and the demo look incredible.

One thing I notice is that when I hit "pause" on a Blu-ray or look at a menu page (where you can gauge the image based on it being somewhat basic), I can see slight brightness fluctuations - similar to how a candle flickers. I see in the description above that firmware 1.03 is supposed to improve the flickering. I'm mostly using EcoSmart with Cinema as my preferred modes of operation and can see the slight flickering. I didn't notice any flicker when watching a Blu-ray movie. This subtle effect is likely difficult to see during normal viewing.

Has anyone else noticed this flicker. So far, I haven't watched any 3D content - this is when looking at the unit for 2D viewing. If I know it's common for the projector, I don't care - it's minor. I just hope it isn't a bulb or voltage issue.

Thanks.

Ian
post #1731 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 180
FYI, Smart Eco mode is clearly obvious when you open and close a white window from your PC, while a movie is playing in "Play on top mode". Look in the video, as soon as you open your brighter window, the entire screen gets brighter, then when you minimize it is all gets dimmer. What's cool about it is that there is no lag in this. SmartEco is a really good feature for power savings and maintaining black level or white level in appropriate scenes as well, IMO.

I still like Brilliant color on all the time...
post #1732 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM

I just got off the phone with BenQ support. I asked about the "flicker" I'm seeing . . . and I checked with him too about the fan shutting down too soon. He acknowledged that SOME units have fans not cooling after shutdown sufficiently.

He asked me to test by leaving the projector on for about 20 mins., and then do a shutdown. He asked that I make sure that any quick cooling settings in my menus are turned off, so that instead of a 30 sec. (approx) quick cool I would (if working okay) get an approx. 3 min. cool down.

But even if this works okay, the rep strongly recommended that I send my new unit in to BenQ for a firmware update. He also said that his notes showed that the slight flickering I see is addressed also by a firmware update. He didn't want me to run the risk of damaging the lamp by not getting a F/W update. Apparently version 1.04 was released by BenQ on about the 10th of January, so getting a replacement from BestBuy to reflect 1.04 would be near impossible. I guess having it updated is the thing to do . . . I just wish BenQ would issue the firmware for the average Joe to performs.

I would hope that BenQ would at least publish this info. on their support page so that folks get an early chance at a fix through firmware, rather than either killing their bulb / projector much too early through lack of knowing.

Ian
post #1733 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For those wondering about the fan shut-off problem, there is a setting called "Quick Cooling" in the menu of the W1070 that seems to affect this. I turned this option on and I noticed that the projector would shut off immediately after hitting the power button. With the Quick Cooling feature off it would wait 2 minutes with the fan on to turn off. I don't know how this works, exactly, but that is the only variable affecting how long the fan will run after you shut it off. I assume that if the Quick Cooling option is changed that easily with no "damage to your lamp" disclaimer, its safe to use IMO.
post #1734 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

I
He asked me to test by leaving the projector on for about 20 mins., and then do a shutdown. He asked that I make sure that any quick cooling settings in my menus are turned off, so that instead of a 30 sec. (approx) quick cool I would (if working okay) get an approx. 3 min. cool down.
Ian

How annoying that they will not let us update our own firmware. I understand making that feature available to the masses could be a nightmare but someone with the aptitude to ask for it should be able to to update it on their own.

What you just mentioned concerns me a bit. I thought the fan was behaving normally when using the quick cooling option and turning off immediately. You mentioned the rep said that "Quick Cooling" still leaves the fan on for 30 seconds. Can anyone else confirm this? I just tested and on mine the Quick Cooling leaves the fan on for 0 seconds and leaving Quick Cooling off leaves the fan on for 30 seconds. Teeger's support rep made it seem like it should be 30 seconds for ON and 2 minutes for OFF.
post #1735 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

For those wondering about the fan shut-off problem, there is a setting called "Quick Cooling" in the menu of the W1070 that seems to affect this.

The issue is that on some units (luckily not all), the firmware isn't allowing proper cooling, even with quick cooling turned off. in the menus With quick cooling set to on, it will still run for several seconds before a shut down when working as it should. On some 1.04 units, the projector may simply turn the fan off after a few brief seconds - regardless of whether the projector has the quick cooling fan setting enabled or not.

Ian
post #1736 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

ScottyRoo,

If you are running 1.04, I would suggest calling BenQ to see what they might say. Who knows, another rep might give a different take on the issue? But it wouldn't hurt for them to know that people are interesting in getting the best info. regarding "what to do". The guy I talked to worked in a center in California. I asked him if BenQ MIGHT consent, and allow the end-user to do their own firmware updates. His answer: "I've been with BenQ for many years, and I've never seen the company issue firmware for end-user use". He emailed me an RMA form. I need to complete it. Within 2 days the form says I'll get instructions on where to drop off / send the unit for the update. He said the unit would likely take 2 -3 days before I get it back.

On the bright side: I've had soooooooooooooooooo many Epson problems that don't ever seem to be fixed due to poor optics - so that if BenQ can simply remedy a problem by flashing the unit with a new firmware update, than that's cool. It just seems kind of backward in this day and age to not get a firmware update file with instructions and do a quick home remedy . . . should be quick and simple!

Ian
post #1737 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

It's not that they won't upgrade your firmware, so much as how they go about it. Having to ship your product to them, that you most likely have mounted on the ceiling, and being without it for weeks, and they don't send you a loaner or anything, especially when it's new, to me, is not a positive experience.

If it were broken and needed servicing that would be one thing, but for a firmware upgrade? Which fixes a QA snafu on their part?? Not acceptable.

Just my thoughts.

Then don't buy it. Some firm ware updating isn't as simple as updating drivers to a video card or other software changes. And as with some other Projectors what they call firmware updating is actually some hardware updating as well. What I was stating is that many in this thread have purchased this projector with the first firmware and are using it with no issue. There is no perfect projector out there, so go ahead and wait for it.
post #1738 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Updating the firmware requires a serial null modem cable and a USB converter for most. It is a little more complicated that just using a usb thumb drive to update the firmware. There may me several reasons why Benq will not allow end users to do the update including the fact that it could be modified by a hacker.

They also may be fearful that since the update is a little more complicated some people would have difficulty doing it.

Epson used the same method to upgrade firmware and they at first would not allow the end user to do it.
post #1739 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:

The issue is that on some units (luckily not all), the firmware isn't allowing proper cooling, even with quick cooling turned off. in the menus With quick cooling set to on, it will still run for several seconds before a shut down when working as it should. On some 1.04 units, the projector may simply turn the fan off after a few brief seconds - regardless of whether the projector has the quick cooling fan setting enabled or not.

Ian

So, 1.04 is doing this as well? In that case, it sounds like updating the firmware from 1.03 to 1.04 may not help matters.
post #1740 of 10612 Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I found a posting somewhere about the firmware versions . . . here's a bit of info. about firmware version 1.03 and 1.04:

Firmware 1.04:
When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan can’t reach target then shut down.
Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
can’t be kept.

Hmmm... this doesn't sound like my fan issue at all. Could I have discovered a new bug?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page