BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 10438 Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I just spent the last hour or so TRYING to find another PJ (with a zoom that will work from the back of my room) and I simply cannot find anything under $1100 that I feel comfortable with. I've almost talked myself into an epson 8350 twice now, but that's officially done: the convergence dice-roll on them is just too risky: simply too many units with problems.

So unless anyone here- many of which have great experience and knowledge that I value-can point me in another direction, I'm simply going to order a 1070 next week and mount it to my ceiling. Done.

Over and out.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 10438 Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings:

Currently own a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 a 1080P and it has served me well but now itching for a newer projector and this BenQ has caught my attention, the only question that concerns me is that have a Plasma 3D TV and was wondering if the picture quality of the BenQ would be equivalent to my Panasonic Plasma. as far as sharpness, detail, etc or it would be a different animal altogether?

Ralph
post #1893 of 10438 Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnapp View Post

I received my W1070 today and set it up to test. This is my first DLP and thought they were immune to alignment issues as theres just one chip.
The right side of this one seems to be out of whack. The center and left side are OK but aren't perfect. Is anyone else seeing this?

Right Side-

http://snapper.smugmug.com/Other/benq-w1070/i-RzfNMWj/0/X2/DSC_4844right2-X2.jpg

Center-

http://snapper.smugmug.com/Other/benq-w1070/i-4rbwknS/0/X2/DSC_4846center2-X2.jpg

Left Side-

http://snapper.smugmug.com/Other/benq-w1070/i-kWggcJh/0/X2/DSC_4848left2-X2.jpg
I see the same aberration on my new W1070 as well. Does anyone have a W1070 with corners free of this issue? Could they take a picture? It's not viewable from a normal viewing distance, but I was just wondering if mine is defective. Also, I've noticed a few other things:

1. There's a very small amount of noise throughout the image, even though I'm using HDMI. I don't see it in the menu. What could this be caused by?
2. When the projector is off, I notice a high pitched whine coming from the projector. It's pretty annoying, but I guess I can just unplug it or put it on a smart surge protector.
3. When I put it in Cinema mode, go into 3D, and then leave 3D, it will put itself back into Standard mode.

The fan went for a full 90 seconds after turning it off, at least. My projector has firmware 1.3 and was manufactured in December.
post #1894 of 10438 Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Hey everybody, first post! Been following this thread from the beginning. Have had a w1070 since mid Dec (firm 1.02).

This is my first projector and I have to say ive been blown away from the picture quality on this machine. I have nothing to compare it too but coming from a 55" samsung LCD I havent started that thing up in a long time tongue.gif

I havent had any fan issues or flicker issues but i have had a few issues of my own. The projector after warming up seems to make cracking sounds which to me seem to be just the plastic expanding from the heat this thing produces. I seem to be able to recreate the sounds myself by just applying some pressure to the lamp housing cover so im not too concerned about that. But if anyone has any other ideas that would be appreciated. My second issue which im not too sure is even the projector, is my playstaion 3 which I use for netflix/blurays/gaming just cuts out and shows a full snow effect....its connected through hdmi 2 with a 25ft cable and it literally just started a few days ago. Its been working perfectly up until now. The fix is powering off the ps3 and turning it back on again but im puzzled as to why its doing this? Any suggestion guys?

Besides these 2 issues everything has been amazing. Setup was a breeze, 120" from a 12ft viewing distance and Its amazingly sharp.
post #1895 of 10438 Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

Lol I use it watch movies, tv and browse the internet, so yeah it gets a lot of use. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

700+ hours on 1.02 so far. Couldn't be happier.

This has been a concern of mine as I plan to use it as my main screen for everything so you dont see any issues so far? running it for that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee23 View Post

Just got mine in the mail today, firmware 1.03 but I don't have the fan issues on shutdown. Projecting onto a 106" elunevision elara II perlux-silver 1.4 gain screen. I feel like I may have mounted on the ceiling about an inch off center since I can't seem to get everything perfect but it's very close. Focus is not as sharp in the bottom right as I have it set for the center but that's likely my mounting situation not being 100% perfect. Anyway thought I'd upload a photo.

wow great picture, I cant wait to get my tax return so I can get this projector, I hope a sale is going on when I do so I can get that sub 1k price ^_^

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1896 of 10438 Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I just spent the last hour or so TRYING to find another PJ (with a zoom that will work from the back of my room) and I simply cannot find anything under $1100 that I feel comfortable with. I've almost talked myself into an epson 8350 twice now, but that's officially done: the convergence dice-roll on them is just too risky: simply too many units with problems.

So unless anyone here- many of which have great experience and knowledge that I value-can point me in another direction, I'm simply going to order a 1070 next week and mount it to my ceiling. Done.

Over and out.

James

I am "making" this pj work for me, even though it's gonna hang lower than what I feel comfortable with. I love the image quality. If you are using a pj in a dark room, then the mits hc4000 is an excellent alternative. Just as sharp, great colors... Just not as bright at 1300 lumens. I have owned both, and they are awesome. I had my mits mounted at 13ft, flush to the 8ft ceiling, with a 106" screen. I loved the way I could mount it compared to the Benq, but I need the brightness because I don't like watching tv in a dark room.
post #1897 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 AM

hi guys,

anyone have comparing this w1070 to benq w7000, ?

how about the image quality after using ND filter?
post #1898 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I feel like the kid who didn't get picked by a team on field with all this chatter in the thread. Believe it or not I simply could not get the PJ to centre its image onto the screen after a week of trying and ended up returning the PJ. So sad. I even tried moving it around on the ground instead of the ceiling and no dice. I guess enjoy the PJ all of you and ill be looking for a consolation prize 60" plasma instead frown.gif
post #1899 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Guys I have a side question, I want to get a motorized screen and use the 12v trigger that is on the screen and on the projector, if both are 3.5mm jacks does that mean all I have to do is get a long enough mono like headphone cable? and it would work?

That is the simple option what if I wanted a wireless trigger say one that uses RF or IR I have searched and searched but for some reason I cant find any, so any help/suggestion would be great and if this has been discussed in another thread a simple link to that thread would be great.

Thanks

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1900 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Anyone else having the HDMI losing signal? It's because I was using a 35ft. Blue Rigger HDMI cable (from Amazon...going to return it). I changed the long HDMI out and brought the PS3 back to the projector and used a shorter one and BINGO, it worked fine. It did search for the signal, but found it faster and it went right to the movie.

So what brand does of HDMI does everyone use? I need one at least 25ft or so to reach the back of the room. That is unless I bring everything to the back of the room and set it up there (ugh).

I am having difficulty trying to figure out the best way to mount this, either building a shelf on the back wall, or a ceiling mount (which would mean, I would have to face it down to get it in the middle of the wall). So right now, I have it balanced flat on a ladder (LOL).

Right now, I have 13ft distance from the back of the unit to the wall and I need to get a screen. What is the max size I can get at 13ft so I can get the right screen size?

But, I watched "Dredd" and "LOTR Return of the King" yesterday and noticed on the darker scenes that there was a lot of noise and even lots of smudging or pixelation of some kind on their faces and background, like I was watching a low grade video on the computer. That annoyed me! Otherwise, all lighted scenes looked great, especially shots outdoors in LOTR. Anyone else with this issue?

I am still considering sending this back, but I want to make it work!

Thanks and peace out everyone!
post #1901 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappers View Post

Anyone else having the HDMI losing signal? It's because I was using a 35ft. Blue Rigger HDMI cable (from Amazon...going to return it). I changed the long HDMI out and brought the PS3 back to the projector and used a shorter one and BINGO, it worked fine. It did search for the signal, but found it faster and it went right to the movie.

So what brand does of HDMI does everyone use? I need one at least 25ft or so to reach the back of the room. That is unless I bring everything to the back of the room and set it up there (ugh).

I used a BlueRigger 25' high-speed cable, bought on Amazon for $11.95. For the hour or so that I had the projector, it worked pretty well. Once I get my new one, I'll be able to tell more.
post #1902 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

!

only bluerigger from amazon. i have over 10 hdmi cables from 15-35 ft and no issues. you might just have a faulty one.

post #1903 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM

post #1904 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM

I use a 30 foot long HDMI cable from Monoprice with RedMere technology, specially made for longer runs. More expensive but it works just fine. It is very thin and has its own built in amplifier chip for longer runs.
post #1905 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

I am having difficulty trying to figure out the best way to mount this, either building a shelf on the back wall, or a ceiling mount (which would mean, I would have to face it down to get it in the middle of the wall). So right now, I have it balanced flat on a ladder (LOL).

Right now, I have 13ft distance from the back of the unit to the wall and I need to get a screen. What is the max size I can get at 13ft so I can get the right screen size?

But, I watched "Dredd" and "LOTR Return of the King" yesterday and noticed on the darker scenes that there was a lot of noise and even lots of smudging or pixelation of some kind on their faces and background, like I was watching a low grade video on the computer. That annoyed me! Otherwise, all lighted scenes looked great, especially shots outdoors in LOTR. Anyone else with this issue?

I am still considering sending this back, but I want to make it work!

Thanks and peace out everyone!

I lot of us here on the AVS Forum have been using HDMI cables from monoprice.com for the past several years. They sell ones that use 22 gauge conductors (i.e., heavier than normal) that have been popular for the past half a dozen years for longer cable lengths. Note that until fairly recently passive HDMI cables could only be certified as being "high speed" for lenghts up to 25 ft., so 35 ft. cables normally were only be rated as standard speed even though some of these 35 ft. cables (such as the 22 gauge ones from monoprice) actually had adequate bandwidth to handle the most demanding HD signals (i.e., 1080p/60 w/deep color and 1080p/24 frame packed 3D). Monoprice now sells one new series of HDMI cables that are certified as high speed in cable lenghts up to 60 ft.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #1906 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Flowers View Post

I use a 30 foot long HDMI cable from Monoprice with RedMere technology, specially made for longer runs. More expensive but it works just fine. It is very thin and has its own built in amplifier chip for longer runs.

I Also use a Redmere cable with no issues.
post #1907 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Amazon has again raised their price from $899 to $1099.

Ken
post #1908 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post

Amazon has again raised their price from $899 to $1099.

Ken

I noticed that too.

$899 should be the real street price for this unit. All major retailers have been selling these at this price point (PP, VA, Newegg, Amazon).

<$899 would be a nice pickup. I am quite confident that I'll pick one of these up soon at <$850.
post #1909 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

I feel like the kid who didn't get picked by a team on field with all this chatter in the thread. Believe it or not I simply could not get the PJ to centre its image onto the screen after a week of trying and ended up returning the PJ. So sad. I even tried moving it around on the ground instead of the ceiling and no dice. I guess enjoy the PJ all of you and ill be looking for a consolation prize 60" plasma instead frown.gif
Sorry to hear that! I was wondering what happened to you! I had some challenges as well, but finally got in dialed in. Hey...nothing wrong with a plasma TV! Maybe when the new benq jobs in april it will have more placement flexiability!
post #1910 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post

Hi, yes, also sorry to hear the PJ didn't work out for you. It's hard to say from your previous pics, but it looks like the screen you were using isn't straight/flat. In any case, I'm sure you'll really enjoy a 60" plasma if you get one! And hey, you'll very likely get much deeper blacks on that than you would on a w1070! smile.gif
post #1911 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Sorry to hear that! I was wondering what happened to you! I had some challenges as well, but finally got in dialed in. Hey...nothing wrong with a plasma TV! Maybe when the new benq jobs in april it will have more placement flexiability!

^^ Great to hear you got it dialed in. This is a great PJ for the money no doubt about it. Thanks for the comment man. Gunna go get a Panasonic 60" later today when i get some time. I guess it will have to do for now until I move from here and hopefully in the new place pre-wire and setup a HT room all perfecto to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macster2 View Post

Hi, yes, also sorry to hear the PJ didn't work out for you. It's hard to say from your previous pics, but it looks like the screen you were using isn't straight/flat. In any case, I'm sure you'll really enjoy a 60" plasma if you get one! And hey, you'll very likely get much deeper blacks on that than you would on a w1070! smile.gif

^^^ Thanks for the comment macster. Im sure the PQ will be nice on a plasma but of course it wont be anything near a 92" screen with the PJ. Oh well I tried. Ill still be keeping tabs in this thread and enjoy the PJ through you guys, lol.
post #1912 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanks for posting this...I bought mine 2 weeks ago from future shop for $969, so I went in to the the store today and they price matched and beat it by 10%. I paid $870 for this after they gave me back $99. Thanks for the link!
post #1913 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Greetings:

Currently own a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 a 1080P and it has served me well but now itching for a newer projector and this BenQ has caught my attention, the only question that concerns me is that have a Plasma 3D TV and was wondering if the picture quality of the BenQ would be equivalent to my Panasonic Plasma. as far as sharpness, detail, etc or it would be a different animal altogether?

Any one, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ralph
post #1914 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM

I ran two 35 ft Blue Rigger HDMI cables to where I will be mounting the projector so I hope I don't have the same issues with the signal loss. I also have 4 Cat5e cables in the event I need to run additional HDMI or composite video feeds at some point. Once the W1080ST shows up I can let you know how to Blue Rigger is holding up.
post #1915 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Any one, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ok, I'll bite, it won't look like a plasma if your sitting to close, and may not resemble a plasma from normal seating distance, depending on your screen and ambient lighting, etc. But it will be almost 3x as large. I think Coderguy has just about tweaked all the "black" he can out of his, search his posts to get some insight.
post #1916 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
SAINSONIC SYNC FIX!

For all those who are experiencing syncing issues with the Sainsonic glasses, I have found a fix! I found an old thread here on avs that discussed the same problem. Basically it was saying that light sensor is too sensitive. They put a tinted plastic film over the sensor and taped it on and it worked.

I couldn't find any tint lying around so I used the red filter that comes with my old Avia calibration disc. I figured that it would filter out every color but red, which would be perfect for the red 3d sync flash. I cut out little pieces and taped it on the sensor. Works perfectly! There were several scenes on Despicable Me with bright flashing lights that would knock the glasses out of sync every time. Now it plays without any issues.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #1917 of 10438 Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
UPDATE!

Even easier fix. Just get a red permanent marker and color it. Ha! Works great!

Plus it looks pretty cool, like a ruby.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #1918 of 10438 Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 AM

Received my W1070 today! After much deliberation and research, the W1070 became the obvious choice and I ordered it from Visual Apex. I don't usually like to mention where I purchased from but ordering it from across the country on Wed and receiving it unexpectedly on Sat on the opposite coast, in time for the Superbowl, requires mention. Super Kudos to Visual Apex! Firmware 1.04 too. Thanks for letting me watch the Super Bowl with my daughter, who absolutely loves football, in all its glory , before she heads off to college.
I don't know what I was more excited about, receiving it in time for the game or seeing the image it projects. Some info. I was an early adoptee of a projector and Hi-def (does that say it all?), trading a Jet ski for a sony vpl-w400q back in 2000 watching the Rams vs Titans memorable finale in an unheard of Big screen glory at that time. Due to multiple reasons I've held off upgrading, still running this "never going to die" w400q for the past 13 years, waiting for the right time. Well, this was the year and now in my home sits the W1070. Bright is not giving the projector its due. Sure I'm coming from an old projector, but you could get a sun burn from this thing. I've always watched in a light controlled room but quickly fired up the w1070 in my family room in the middle of the day with a ton of light spillage on the 106" screen I dusted off from the attic and all I can say is WOW. I read over and over that if you don't have a side by side comparison that you will be wowed by the new crop of projectors, but even with my Panasonic 42" plasma along side the w1070 image, my family and I are can not believe the image this thing outputs.
I only had 20 minutes to spend with the projector before shutting it down due to going out of town for the night. It did shut off in about 90 seconds. Tomorrow I hope to tweak it before the game. I will then move it to another room where I can project it at 133" and watch a bunch of blu-rays. I'm very, very happy with this projector, as my kids, and i look forward to dialing this baby in.

Incus
post #1919 of 10438 Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM

thats awesome. i order over a week ago with two day shipping and still havent seen my benq.
post #1920 of 10438 Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 AM

Incus
can you upload a photo ?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version