BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
mdorion's Avatar mdorion 09:42 PM 11-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Looking forward to setting this up! After reading about the nasty ghosting of the expensive Sony at 60hz at 1080p, I figure I may as well skip worrying about a cheap projector for under a grand, and just enjoy 24hz/1080p or use 60hz/720p.

In the user manual, it says that the W1070 does 1080p @ 60Hz ... anyway hope to get it soon !

RLBURNSIDE's Avatar RLBURNSIDE 10:00 PM 11-23-2012
Wow, if true that is good news, but it's not what I understood from the youtube clip of the guy reviewing it. Anyway, maybe I misunderstood.

I'm a tinkerer so for sure I'll try to tweak the crap out this mofo. It's so fun thinking about my next horror film festival in here.

Might have to order some more speakers to make a proper 7.1 or 9.1 setup in here, finally.

ps I checked the reviews of other recent BenQ projectors, such as the w7000, and the input lag on that one is 35ms. If it's similar on the w1070, us gamers are in for a real treat! But the w7000 is nearly three times the price, so who knows. (Kaine?)
mart242's Avatar mart242 10:13 PM 11-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Not sure if I should pull the trigger on this unit or go with the Epson 8350 (or even the 8500ub or 8700ub refurbs). The thing holding me back is the noise level on this thing and if I will see rainbows. Is this thing a real 6x color wheel (with 6 segments)?

I've got an old NEC LT240K projector with a 2X / 4 segments color wheel. No one has ever complained (granted, I never had many guests watching movies). The Epson 8350 has terrible lag for games and 3D is apparently much better with DLP. I also hate LCD screendoors so for me, it's DLP all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Me three!
Thanks for the tips to order it via Paypal. I didn't pay for the extra long warranty, I'm okay with waiting for it in case I ever need to RMA it. I know, projectors...but. Anyway. It was an impulse buy. At that price I couldn't say no. Esp since NCIX / Paypal won't even charge my CC until 21 days after it's delivered. It was a little tight as I only ever buy stuff cash (my CC is actually a bank card...no buying stuff on credit for me!). I pay the iron price.
Looking forward to setting this up! After reading about the nasty ghosting of the expensive Sony at 60hz at 1080p, I figure I may as well skip worrying about a cheap projector for under a grand, and just enjoy 24hz/1080p or use 60hz/720p. The Sony for three grand ghosts like crazy apparently even at 720p / 60, meaning there is literally no point in paying / waiting for a better projector than this one. I feel lucky that I'll be okay, and got the 30 day free RMA shipping option in case it's busted during shipping or arrives with defects.
My paypal was charged right away (got a notice from the credit card company notifying me of a transaction of more than X dollars). And yes, it's a deal that's hard to resist. I went for the 30 day free RMA (just another $15) in case it comes busted as well. Paid with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty as well. I'm sure that it will be miles ahead of my 10 years old NEC LT240K and the price really is hard to beat. I'm not expecting the perfect projector, I'd never pay for that anyways.
mart242's Avatar mart242 10:15 PM 11-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdorion View Post

In the user manual, it says that the W1070 does 1080p @ 60Hz ... anyway hope to get it soon !

1080p @60Hz, 1080p 3D @ 24Hz. So no go for 1080p 3D gaming, you have to step down to 720p 3D @ 60Hz. I would definitely not pay 3-4k for the projectors that do 1080p 3D @ 60Hz so I can't really complain.


The only thing that worries me is the fan noise.

On a related note: any recommendations for 3D glasses and ceiling mount?
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar RLBURNSIDE 10:41 PM 11-23-2012
I'm already thinking about building an enclosure with extra fans and foam padding inside to mask the projector noise, if it bothers me.

I'm okay with 1080p@24 in 3D, but with NVIDIA 3d thingy from my PC, can I force games to use that? Not sure what I'll prefer, 720p/60hz/3d or 1080p/24hz/3d, but it should be fun to find out. Probably racing games the faster refresh, and strategy games or slow-moving horror games the higher res. For 850, I'm considering this a beater and not worrying too much about it. There's always something better around the horizon. Heck, I enjoyed my borrowed 4:3 crappy LCD projector someone lent me last summer while setting up a horror film festival, so I'm sure this will be quite a bit better.

Might be time to look into more couches for my loft! rubs hands together. mouhaha

Also, the french review mentions some type of anamorphic lens...do they screw directly in? Or are they held up in front of the projector, without actually touching it, like it appears the Panamorph one does. Time to start trolling ebay for deals on these...
wildchild22's Avatar wildchild22 06:23 AM 11-24-2012
Will this projector accept a 1280x720p@120hz signal for 3d?

I need this for something I was working on and I am hoping it will. I would hate to have to buy a 3d ready projector instead of this.
elmalloc's Avatar elmalloc 06:30 AM 11-24-2012
This projector looks interesting, will wait for input lag results and if there is a short throw version announced? Are there any short htrow 1080p projectors out there (not to derail thread).

Thanks,
ELmO
Butmuncher's Avatar Butmuncher 06:56 AM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

Will this projector accept a 1280x720p@120hz signal for 3d?
I need this for something I was working on and I am hoping it will. I would hate to have to buy a 3d ready projector instead of this.

Hi,
I see why not.
I'm not clued up on projectors but i do know about 3d ect.

The acer h5360bd i have does 120hz 720p and i can use 3dvision glasses if i need allthough they need tobe upside down.
Or it can do 120hz 2d have have next to no blur, both pj's i have look completely different in 2d at 120hz compared to 60hz, smooth as butter.
If you look in the w1070 manual you will see 1280x720 120hz wink.gif
awest74's Avatar awest74 09:48 AM 11-24-2012
For those that ordered, what screen are you thinking about pairing this with? I know the rooms make quite a bit of difference. Mine is going in the man cave with Dark Green (Green Monster green) walls, and off white ceiling. Dont think I will need high gain, although want to be able to see the appatizers during the Patriots games smile.gif

Currently I am leaning towards a Jamestown or visual apex, 120" dont want to break the bank....

Any thoughts on if the highcontrast .8 gain screens will go well, or should I stick with matte 1.2s?

thanks in advance.
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar RLBURNSIDE 10:26 AM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

This projector looks interesting, will wait for input lag results and if there is a short throw version announced? Are there any short htrow 1080p projectors out there (not to derail thread).
Thanks,
ELmO

The w1080st is the short throw version. Here is a new review:

"W1080ST: the world’s first Full HD short throw video projector
As the world’s first Full HD short throw video projector, BenQ’s W1080ST creates a 65.7” image when positioned at a distance of just one meter, preventing image obstruction and shadows on the screen which is ideal in any situation, but particularly important when engaging in gaming."
mart242's Avatar mart242 12:15 PM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by awest74 View Post

For those that ordered, what screen are you thinking about pairing this with? I know the rooms make quite a bit of difference. Mine is going in the man cave with Dark Green (Green Monster green) walls, and off white ceiling. Dont think I will need high gain, although want to be able to see the appatizers during the Patriots games smile.gif
Currently I am leaning towards a Jamestown or visual apex, 120" dont want to break the bank....
Any thoughts on if the highcontrast .8 gain screens will go well, or should I stick with matte 1.2s?
thanks in advance.

I've got a cheapo 120" electric mustang from Costco. Matt white, 1.0 gain. Works fine with my current DLP so I'm sure it will be fine with the W1070. Previous screen was a DIY blackout cloth on a wood frame. Worked fine until I accidentally kicked a glass of wine in it and I could never clean it properly eek.gif
barrelbelly's Avatar barrelbelly 12:25 PM 11-24-2012
This is the one I have been waiting for. I will wait until I see a few reviews on AVS. Then I'll grab this to pair up with the Darbee Darblet I am getting for Christmas. Can't wait for the BenQ 1080ST to hit the American market. Especially at $1299 or lower.
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar RLBURNSIDE 12:46 PM 11-24-2012
I plan on using my pristine white wall to start off with, but I'll probably buy a proper 2.35 or 2.4 screen at some point thereafter. Thinking of something acoustically transparent too, so I can stick my front 3 speakers behind it.

Seeing all these insane deals, I ordered about 300 bucks worth of gear from Parts Express, including some super long 3d-capable hdmi cables, 7 more speakers, extra wires and mounting screws...everything I need for a proper 9.1 surround sound / 3D movie setup.

Can't wait!
awest74's Avatar awest74 12:49 PM 11-24-2012
What kind of environment are you in that you need 2.3-2.4? Or are you using it mainly for 3D. I ask because as I said this is my first projector. I currently have two Sony SZRD projection TVs and this will replace one. I dont want to be totally disappointed with a dark image.....
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar RLBURNSIDE 01:13 PM 11-24-2012
Me neither, which is why I'm gonna take a look-see on my wall and find out what a cinemascope movie looks like zoomed in, imagining that I was using a fixed-height screen.

But I'm not entirely sure how 1080p 16:9 content is displayed on a constant height setup, is it squeezed electronically in the horizontal axis, so that optically it gets put back to the normal aspect ratio? Or do you really have to remove the lens each time. That would suck, and I imagine, cause a lot of annoyance. I have about 12-feet of width on this wall of my loft, and a very long throw distance. In my other area, I could probably get a screen the size of a small movie theater, but I want to see how bright the Benq really is before deciding how big a screen / how dim I can handle, especially with the 3d glasses on.
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 08:39 PM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

The w1080st is the short throw version. Here is a new review:
"W1080ST: the world’s first Full HD short throw video projector
As the world’s first Full HD short throw video projector, BenQ’s W1080ST creates a 65.7” image when positioned at a distance of just one meter, preventing image obstruction and shadows on the screen which is ideal in any situation, but particularly important when engaging in gaming."
Quote:
Availability and MSRP(USD):
W1070 available now $1,099
W1080ST Q1, 2013 $1,299
GP10 available now $799
It's weird to see that W1080ST is more expensive than W1070 despite the fact that it doesn't have lens shift. Benq better improve the optics and electronics on the W1080ST to justify the higher price.
mart242's Avatar mart242 09:48 PM 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

It's weird to see that W1080ST is more expensive than W1070 despite the fact that it doesn't have lens shift. Benq better improve the optics and electronics on the W1080ST to justify the higher price.

Maybe the short throw lens is quite expensive?
tyee's Avatar tyee 10:58 PM 11-24-2012
So what is the problem at 1080p and only 24fps? Blu-ray movies right? I see the manual says 1080i @ 60fps, which means 60 interlaced fields per second.

What happens if you feed it a 1080p 60 frame per second signal like from a camcorder? Oh, look the last line says 1080p 60fps, I didn't notice that earlier!

If we feed it a 3D side by side signal does it switch to interlaced?


fairmang's Avatar fairmang 06:42 AM 11-25-2012
soupdragon's Avatar soupdragon 11:22 AM 11-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

Maybe the short throw lens is quite expensive?

Correct
tallnick's Avatar tallnick 01:47 AM 11-26-2012
Anyone have one yet? On paper it looks just as good as w7000 if not better (6x color wheel, better contrast ratio) for half the price. Is it true?
soupdragon's Avatar soupdragon 04:13 AM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

Anyone have one yet? On paper it looks just as good as w7000 if not better (6x color wheel, better contrast ratio) for half the price. Is it true?

No frame interpolation/less vertical lens/no horizontal lens shift/less zoom/bigger offset/ no dynamic iris to name a few features that the W7000 has that the 1070 doesn't - i think theres a few more.

That said - for bang for buck - the 1070 will take some beating!
awest74's Avatar awest74 07:56 AM 11-26-2012
anyone see any accurate pricing on the bulbs? Saw one post on Linus's youtube review that said they cost as much as the projector. Doubt its accurate, but couldnt find any sites selling them in US dollars.
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar RLBURNSIDE 10:31 AM 11-26-2012
Sounds like FUD. The BenQ w7000 replacement lamp costs less than 300.

FYI NCIX just emailed me with confirmation of payment, so it's getting closer to shipping.

/Aside, does anyone know if you can call Fedex before the first delivery attempt and ask them to call your cellphone or give you a specific time of arrival? I work really close by to my home, and I missed a shipment from UPS today (Stargate Atlantis complete Bluray set, yesssss). UPS told me to just update the delivery address to my work address since their guys don't make phone calls. Is Fedex any better in this regard?
reybie's Avatar reybie 11:12 AM 11-26-2012
If you're anywhere close to their main hub, just have it "hold for pickup".
awest74's Avatar awest74 11:49 AM 11-26-2012
Ok, so no official price on the bulb, but I do agree probably BS, or FUD or whatever...

anyway, I didnt get any email about payment confirmation since the payment came out of paypal right away.

However, I am flying up to Toronto on business tomorrow morning for 2 days, am planning on stopping in the local ncix store and seeing whats in stock...

One other questions, doest seem like its worth it to get a multi format screen for this right? It looks like you would have to re-focus when changing formats and since thats done manually would be a PITA...

thoughts?
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar Thunder_God_Thor 12:25 PM 11-26-2012
How does this PJ stack up in terms of its 2D performance against other sub $1k projectors like the HD20, Pro8200, etc? Especially in the black level department?
tallnick's Avatar tallnick 02:01 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

No frame interpolation/less vertical lens/no horizontal lens shift/less zoom/bigger offset/ no dynamic iris to name a few features that the W7000 has that the 1070 doesn't - i think theres a few more.
That said - for bang for buck - the 1070 will take some beating!

yes, but it looks like benq took out all the stuff people complain about (frame interpolation soap opera, noisy iris that shuts down so people turn it off anyway, 4x color wheel that produces RBE) and cut the cost way down while possibly improving the actual picture. It'll be frickin awesome if it's true. Art at projector reviews says he has one "on deck" for review, so hopefully some answers soon!
mart242's Avatar mart242 02:12 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

yes, but it looks like benq took out all the stuff people complain about (frame interpolation soap opera, noisy iris that shuts down so people turn it off anyway, 4x color wheel that produces RBE) and cut the cost way down while possibly improving the actual picture. It'll be frickin awesome if it's true. Art at projector reviews says he has one "on deck" for review, so hopefully some answers soon!

If it's bad don't mention it in this thread! eek.gif
Thunder_God_Thor's Avatar Thunder_God_Thor 02:28 PM 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

yes, but it looks like benq took out all the stuff people complain about (frame interpolation soap opera, noisy iris that shuts down so people turn it off anyway, 4x color wheel that produces RBE) and cut the cost way down while possibly improving the actual picture. It'll be frickin awesome if it's true. Art at projector reviews says he has one "on deck" for review, so hopefully some answers soon!

^^^^ this, cant wait. I hope he gets a review done very soon. Struggling wether to get this or not from ncix canada for $850. Im more curious to see how this PJ does in the 2D department against other sub $1k PJ's.
Tags: Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop