BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2161 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner353 View Post

Hi all,

Got my W1070 on Friday and am sad to say I'm on Firmware 1.02 and what has led me here is googling how quiet my W1070 was and I didn't think it was normal to be so quiet, I didn't even think its fans were on but they were but were way too slow for my liking.

So I see some users report Firmware 1.04 corrects a fan issue, I am a bit lost on the whole updating procedure and with this thread at 74 pages its allot of reading, is this something I can update or do I have to send it away which I'm not keen on seen as I just got it.

Also with it at 1.02 has anyone had theirs overheat or burn out and does it have built in protection for this, is there a Change Log for their Firmwares? Cheers.


You should check to see that the fan stays on for at least 90 seconds after you shut the projector off. What lamp mode are you using. If you use high the fan should go faster and your will hear more noise. On smart eco the speed and noise should vary.

The update can only be done by sending the unit in to Benq.
rwestley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2162 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner353 View Post

Hi all,

Got my W1070 on Friday and am sad to say I'm on Firmware 1.02 and what has led me here is googling how quiet my W1070 was and I didn't think it was normal to be so quiet, I didn't even think its fans were on but they were but were way too slow for my liking.

So I see some users report Firmware 1.04 corrects a fan issue, I am a bit lost on the whole updating procedure and with this thread at 74 pages its allot of reading, is this something I can update or do I have to send it away which I'm not keen on seen as I just got it.

Also with it at 1.02 has anyone had theirs overheat or burn out and does it have built in protection for this, is there a Change Log for their Firmwares? Cheers.

I've noticed that when running the fan with firmware v. 1.03 it would be quite quiet with SmartEco / Cinema settings used - and the would power down normally in about 90 seconds or so. I have 1.04 (different unit) and it also has a quiet fan and powers down pretty much as with 1.03.

I would look for a first sign of issues with the unit powering down unexpectedly due to overheating. If your fan is spinning and you have about 90 seconds or so on cool down, I think you likely are good with what you have. The fan doesn't spin (it would seem) all that fast - nor does it seem to move a lot of air. This is just part of the BenQ design.

If you change the lamp settings from lower to higher you should notice a change in fan speed (getting louder). If you don't hear the fan change up when using different lamp brightness settings, I would call BenQ, just to be on the safe side. They have good phone support for their projectors.

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #2163 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mike777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered last week from Projector People. They called and said it would be drop shipped directly from Benq. Still no tracking number or anything. The potential positive might be that it is the straight from the factory with the latest FW. Still kind of annoyed that it hasn't shipped. After all, they charged my card last week. Got everything almost ready to go. Haven't had a projector for a couple of years since I was unemployed and had to sell my Optima 720P HD70 (20?) That projector was OK, but I really want the higher resolution. Also the color processor of the Optima looks fake. The colors never looked true to me no matter how much I tweaked the dang thing. I am also greatly looking forward to the light dimming eco feature which should be awesome for darker movies. My 106" sceen is up and ready.
Mike777 is offline  
post #2164 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Member
 
gonthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can any owner take a measurement of how far the lens is recessed from the front of the unit?

I have a DIY anamorphic lens that I will be using, and am trying to gauge how close to the lens I can mount my anamorphic lens. From the pictures its hard to tell if its 1/2 an inch or more.

Thanks for any help!

Just need a couple more details finalized with my room / mounting and I will be ordering one of these !!
gonthorn is offline  
post #2165 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonthorn View Post

Can any owner take a measurement of how far the lens is recessed from the front of the unit?

I have a DIY anamorphic lens that I will be using, and am trying to gauge how close to the lens I can mount my anamorphic lens. From the pictures its hard to tell if its 1/2 an inch or more.

Thanks for any help!

Just need a couple more details finalized with my room / mounting and I will be ordering one of these !!

The lens barrel is recessed by 7/8".

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #2166 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
man4mopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester MN
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Well guys decided to join the crowd and will be pulling the trigger in 3 day's, hoping that they drop the price on the PJ since I also have to buy a 3D ready receiver, question I have have a 108P projector now is that the 1.3 hdmi cable or the 1.4???

Thanks

They do not spec cables as HDMI 1.3, 1.4a etc only gear that accepts HDMI input's get the HDMI standard's such as HDMI 1.3 or 1.4a etc.

HDMI cables are simply Standard and High Speed. There are also Standard and High speed HDMI with Ethernet so 4 types of HDMI cables. For BD 3D one needs High speed with or without Ethernet.

Be carefull what HDMI cables you buy when nearing and exceeding 25ft. There are some that carry 3D 1080p 24 past 25ft but some of the cheaper ones do not. Monoprice has worked well for me over 25 ft. Amazon basics cables work great to but they only go as long as 12ft if I recall correct.
man4mopar is offline  
post #2167 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Newbie
 
acetrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Need some advice before finalizing the purchase of the BENQ W1070,

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2010 core i7 Nvidia GT330 Model, it has mini display port out, I can as well if its a must, run Bootcamp to run windows.

My plan is to download Full HD 3D movies, either Blu-ray rips containing the Blu-ray format, or other non Blu-ray full HD 3D rips.

I am not planing to buy a hardware Blu-ray player, nor am I planning to buy a receiver.


The idea is either to use a Mini Displayport to hdmi adapter, then hdmi 1.4 cable to the projector, or use a Mini Displayport cable to hdmi directly to the projector.
Then with this setup, play the movies from VLC or other software that will support 3D Blu-ray and non Blu-ray full HD movies 1080p.

I am thinking to get two pairs of BENQ 3D glasses - model name: 3D, OR model name: (version) 2,
I'm not sure which one is better and what is compatible to what Im thinking to do if its at all possible.
Also the Nvidia 3d vision kit, maybe its possible to play some 3d games from my MBP with it and watch the 3D Blu-Ray rips ?


I would appreciate advice explaining how to ran this setup, if at all possible, and alternatives

Thank you - Ben
acetrip is offline  
post #2168 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Member
 
YouFermont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I have the w1070 for a couple of days now and there is something wrong with my projector and i wonder if I'm the only one with this problem. Every time I turn off the projector, the brilliant color setting and the gamma selection revert to factory default. All other setting are saved except those two. I am on firmware 1.03. I wonder if I may have a faulty bios battery or something like that.

After a couple of days, I am not impressed with this projector, I tough it would be as good as my HC4000 but with 3D in bonus, turn out that you have what you pay for, this is not the wonder so many people in reviews are telling, it's really a budget projector with passable picture quality.
YouFermont is offline  
post #2169 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnsmith808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for correcting all of us who think that this projector is a great bargain. What would we do without you.biggrin.gif
johnsmith808 is offline  
post #2170 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouFermont View Post

Hi, I have the w1070 for a couple of days now and there is something wrong with my projector and i wonder if I'm the only one with this problem. Every time I turn off the projector, the brilliant color setting and the gamma selection revert to factory default. All other setting are saved except those two. I am on firmware 1.03. I wonder if I may have a faulty bios battery or something like that.

After a couple of days, I am not impressed with this projector, I tough it would be as good as my HC4000 but with 3D in bonus, turn out that you have what you pay for, this is not the wonder so many people in reviews are telling, it's really a budget projector with passable picture quality.



I am surprised to hear that the picture quality of the W1070 is only passable to you.
vazelos likes this.
smokarz is online now  
post #2171 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Singh007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouFermont View Post

Hi, I have the w1070 for a couple of days now and there is something wrong with my projector and i wonder if I'm the only one with this problem. Every time I turn off the projector, the brilliant color setting and the gamma selection revert to factory default. All other setting are saved except those two. I am on firmware 1.03. I wonder if I may have a faulty bios battery or something like that.

After a couple of days, I am not impressed with this projector, I tough it would be as good as my HC4000 but with 3D in bonus, turn out that you have what you pay for, this is not the wonder so many people in reviews are telling, it's really a budget projector with passable picture quality.

You must have messed with your settings or got a bad unit. I have the hc4000 and the w1070 in the same room right now (hc4000 going back in a few days). I can tell you this:

1) Sharpness: very close. Almost too close to call. The hc4000 is a very sharp unit, but the w1070 is just as sharp.

2) Brightness: w1070 destroys the hc4000. With ambient lights on, I can still get a great picture.

3) colors: very close out of the box for both. After adjustments, they both look good.

4) POP, wow! factor: w1070 all the way

5) Placement- hc4000

6) Darks, shadows: maybe the hc4000 has slightly better blacks, but I don't really notice much difference because of the great pic quality.

7) Image noise: slight edge to the hc4000

8) SD content: I think SD looked a bit better on the hc4000 (but who watches SD on a PJ these days?)

OVERALL : if the w1070 is a 9/10, the hc4000 is a 8.5/10. But if using it with a little ambient light, the w1070 is 10/10, and the hc4000 is 7/10.

ONE MORE THING: when i have brilliant color turned on for the hc4000, I get some weird blown highlights on skin tones, almost like inky spots that look like they are "torched"...but with the w1070 , Brilliant color looks great. With the BC turned off on the hc4000, its not bright enough (for me).

I don't know what it is about the w1070, but the way the picture looks, I have had friends tell me that it looks like a big plasma. Loving this thing.
Singh007 is offline  
post #2172 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouFermont View Post

I tough it would be as good as my HC4000 but with 3D in bonus, turn out that you have what you pay for, this is not the wonder so many people in reviews are telling, it's really a budget projector with passable picture quality.

And, what were you expecting exactly for $1,000? You likely have a defective unit, but to dismiss what BenQ has made available with the W1070 as "you have what you pay for" is kind of dismissive of a great projector brought in at a very fair price point. If it's defective a) go back to your dealer for a replacement / refund or b) talk to BenQ about a solution. How can you blow off what the reviewers see as a capable unit, when you admit you might have a defect? Defects happen. They're disappointing . . . but making the reviewers wrong about a unit that a lot of folks value by using your "defect" as the measuring stick to evaluate a projector model is . . . pointless.

You aren't one of those guys who goes to a cheap fast food place expecting a five-star meal - with five star service, are you? If so, I can see how this projector's pic quality for a grand would really disappoint. being just "passable" and all.

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #2173 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tradewinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smells like one, looks like one (3rd post here)......therefore must be a troll.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
tradewinds is offline  
post #2174 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Michigan.
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds View Post

Smells like one, looks like one (3rd post here)......therefore must be a troll.


LOL

Ralph
zapper is offline  
post #2175 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Member
 
accordex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Could someone give me a time marker in a few movies where something really pops out? I've watched a few beginnings of movies and I'm not seeing much. It's 3d but nothing is coming out of the screen.

Also noticed the depth of playing a file via power dvd, which outputs the signal as frame packing is not as good as just playing a file with media player and selecting top/bottom
accordex is offline  
post #2176 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Member
 
elmermccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay, now I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm on my second projector (arrived from BenQ yesterday), and all seemed to be going well -- for about 2.5 hours, anyway. Then with no warning and for no apparent reason, the projector just shut down. Bulb turned off, fan ran for about 20 seconds (nowhere near the 1.5 -2 minutes it's supposed to), red power LED and green temp LED came on steady. No shutdown tone. No flashing amber power LED, as would happen during normal shutdown. When I tuned it back on, red lamp LED flashed and fan ran for awhile before turn-on tone and bulb came to life. Watched for about 2-3 minutes, and the same thing happened. Now I can't keep the projector on. It runs for about 3 minutes, then dies in exactly the same way. If I turn it on, and then turn it off again within that time, the power cycle runs properly -- amber light flashes, fan runs for proper time. If I leave the projector alone after turning it on, I get this abnormal shutdown. What the hell is going on with these projectors?
elmermccurdy is offline  
post #2177 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Member
 
Nightingale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope this thing is back on sale by Monday..... rolleyes.gif



I want it....yesterday. frown.gif
Nightingale is offline  
post #2178 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Snipe3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmermccurdy View Post

Okay, now I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm on my second projector (arrived from BenQ yesterday), and all seemed to be going well -- for about 2.5 hours, anyway. Then with no warning and for no apparent reason, the projector just shut down. Bulb turned off, fan ran for about 20 seconds (nowhere near the 1.5 -2 minutes it's supposed to), red power LED and green temp LED came on steady. No shutdown tone. No flashing amber power LED, as would happen during normal shutdown. When I tuned it back on, red lamp LED flashed and fan ran for awhile before turn-on tone and bulb came to life. Watched for about 2-3 minutes, and the same thing happened. Now I can't keep the projector on. It runs for about 3 minutes, then dies in exactly the same way. If I turn it on, and then turn it off again within that time, the power cycle runs properly -- amber light flashes, fan runs for proper time. If I leave the projector alone after turning it on, I get this abnormal shutdown. What the hell is going on with these projectors?
I had the same issue with a few of the w1000+ from Benq, keep sending them back and eventually you will get a good one. The two i'm looking at now have gone over 7000 hours and still going.

Multi-Projector Edge-Blending & Geometry correction for games and simulations.
http://www.youtube.com/VanFS3K
Snipe3000 is offline  
post #2179 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmermccurdy View Post

Okay, now I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm on my second projector (arrived from BenQ yesterday), and all seemed to be going well -- for about 2.5 hours, anyway. Then with no warning and for no apparent reason, the projector just shut down. Bulb turned off, fan ran for about 20 seconds (nowhere near the 1.5 -2 minutes it's supposed to), red power LED and green temp LED came on steady. No shutdown tone. No flashing amber power LED, as would happen during normal shutdown. When I tuned it back on, red lamp LED flashed and fan ran for awhile before turn-on tone and bulb came to life. Watched for about 2-3 minutes, and the same thing happened. Now I can't keep the projector on. It runs for about 3 minutes, then dies in exactly the same way. If I turn it on, and then turn it off again within that time, the power cycle runs properly -- amber light flashes, fan runs for proper time. If I leave the projector alone after turning it on, I get this abnormal shutdown. What the hell is going on with these projectors?

It's a pain for sure. All I can say is that I'd be on the phone to BenQ about getting another one. I hope to hear (do let us know) how BenQ supports you. I have had a TON of bad luck with Epson . . . so it seems that this is the nature of electronics made in China with little quality control. Best of luck with the next one!

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #2180 of 10139 Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Member
 
elmermccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe3000 View Post

I had the same issue with a few of the w1000+ from Benq, keep sending them back and eventually you will get a good one. The two i'm looking at now have gone over 7000 hours and still going.

Arrgh. I ordered my projector on 1/20. Two projectors and 20 days later, I haven't yet gotten one that is usable. This will probably be the last BenQ product I buy.
elmermccurdy is offline  
post #2181 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Member
 
elmermccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmermccurdy View Post

Okay, now I'm starting to get annoyed. I'm on my second projector (arrived from BenQ yesterday), and all seemed to be going well -- for about 2.5 hours, anyway. Then with no warning and for no apparent reason, the projector just shut down. Bulb turned off, fan ran for about 20 seconds (nowhere near the 1.5 -2 minutes it's supposed to), red power LED and green temp LED came on steady. No shutdown tone. No flashing amber power LED, as would happen during normal shutdown. When I tuned it back on, red lamp LED flashed and fan ran for awhile before turn-on tone and bulb came to life. Watched for about 2-3 minutes, and the same thing happened. Now I can't keep the projector on. It runs for about 3 minutes, then dies in exactly the same way. If I turn it on, and then turn it off again within that time, the power cycle runs properly -- amber light flashes, fan runs for proper time. If I leave the projector alone after turning it on, I get this abnormal shutdown. What the hell is going on with these projectors?


I'm wondering whether this is a faulty bulb?
elmermccurdy is offline  
post #2182 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Newbie
 
farfromuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using this with an Onkyo NR515 or NR616 receiver? I can't get the video to show on the projector, only shows the Onkyo splash screen at startup. These receivers have trouble with some displays, mine worked fine with my tv but not with this projector, I tried 3 different cables and no luck. I have the 1.04 firmware and the latest firmware on the Onkyo. Direct connection from each device works fine with same cables.
farfromuman is offline  
post #2183 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
ERuiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've made up my mind... I will be getting one of these for my home theater! Coming from an Epson 8350, what you guys think will be my experience? FWIW, I had my 8350 projecting on a 125" 2.35 CIH setup. For the w1070, I will be changing my screen to a 132" 1.78:1 screen and just use a manual setup to cover the top/bottom bars when watching 2.35:1 films... The PJ will be projecting from 11' away.

What you guys think? Is this an upgrade for me? A sidestep? Step back? Breakdancing?
ERuiz is offline  
post #2184 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Newbie
 
Eszvik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello!

First of all I live in Budapest-Hungary...

The same thing happend to me after 4 days of use... In my csae the lamp died!
The service changed the lamp, but it happend again after 2 or 3 days...
Now i'm waiting Benq to change the lamp again, or the whole projector.

They said (service) that Benq HQ wanted them to send back the two lamps, because maybe there is a problem with the lamp manufacturer...
I wanted to know if anyone had the same probleme here, but you are the first!

But I'm starting to wonder if it's not a lamp problem... 2 in a row?

And I'm having problem with the inner lense dust too... After 4 days of use (before lamp died) 6 pieces of grey spots appeared on the screen!!
Eszvik is offline  
post #2185 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Member
 
elmermccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eszvik View Post

Hello!

First of all I live in Budapest-Hungary...

The same thing happend to me after 4 days of use... In my csae the lamp died!
The service changed the lamp, but it happend again after 2 or 3 days...
Now i'm waiting Benq to change the lamp again, or the whole projector.

They said (service) that Benq HQ wanted them to send back the two lamps, because maybe there is a problem with the lamp manufacturer...
I wanted to know if anyone had the same probleme here, but you are the first!

But I'm starting to wonder if it's not a lamp problem... 2 in a row?

And I'm having problem with the inner lense dust too... After 4 days of use (before lamp died) 6 pieces of grey spots appeared on the screen!!

So, you had the same symptoms? The projector would just spontaneously shut down?
elmermccurdy is offline  
post #2186 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

I've made up my mind... I will be getting one of these for my home theater! Coming from an Epson 8350, what you guys think will be my experience? FWIW, I had my 8350 projecting on a 125" 2.35 CIH setup. For the w1070, I will be changing my screen to a 132" 1.78:1 screen and just use a manual setup to cover the top/bottom bars when watching 2.35:1 films... The PJ will be projecting from 11' away.

What you guys think? Is this an upgrade for me? A sidestep? Step back? Breakdancing?


It will be up to you to decide.

I am liking my W1070, coming from the Epson 8100. Sharpness, clarity, and color shows a big improvement. But the biggest difference for me was motion blur.
smokarz is online now  
post #2187 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
teeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

I've made up my mind... I will be getting one of these for my home theater! Coming from an Epson 8350, what you guys think will be my experience? FWIW, I had my 8350 projecting on a 125" 2.35 CIH setup. For the w1070, I will be changing my screen to a 132" 1.78:1 screen and just use a manual setup to cover the top/bottom bars when watching 2.35:1 films... The PJ will be projecting from 11' away.

What you guys think? Is this an upgrade for me? A sidestep? Step back? Breakdancing?

Wow. It's hard to predict what someone else will either love or hate. But having Epson projectors - I find the W1070 is far-and-away a step closer to perfection. You won't have blacks as nice as with the 8350, so that might be an issue for you. I have a 5010 (deep blacks), and the BenQ is soooooooooooooo superior with sharpness, color accuracy and POP that giving up some of the deep blacks, for me, was well worth it.

As another member mentioned, you don't get frame interpolation . . . but since I have it on my Epson 5010 (and don't use it), it's not something that I miss not being on the BenQ. And if the limited vertical lens shift isn't an issue . . . you should be good.

The one aspect of the BenQ that you might appreciate is that it is so small and so light compared to the Epson 3LCD units. At first when I got my W1070 I thought it looked like a "toy projector" by comparison. It's not. The beautiful image and amount of light this thing throws makes it a great deal all-around.

If you get one, let us know what you think of it compared to your 8350.

Ian
teeger is offline  
post #2188 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,887
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Wow. It's hard to predict what someone else will either love or hate. But having Epson projectors - I find the W1070 is far-and-away a step closer to perfection. You won't have blacks as nice as with the 8350, so that might be an issue for you. I have a 5010 (deep blacks), and the BenQ is soooooooooooooo superior with sharpness, color accuracy and POP that giving up some of the deep blacks, for me, was well worth it.

As another member mentioned, you don't get frame interpolation . . . but since I have it on my Epson 5010 (and don't use it), it's not something that I miss not being on the BenQ. And if the limited vertical lens shift isn't an issue . . . you should be good.

The one aspect of the BenQ that you might appreciate is that it is so small and so light compared to the Epson 3LCD units. At first when I got my W1070 I thought it looked like a "toy projector" by comparison. It's not. The beautiful image and amount of light this thing throws makes it a great deal all-around.

If you get one, let us know what you think of it compared to your 8350.

Ian

If you really want frame interpolation as well as a longer zoom range, etc. then the upcoming BenQ W1400 adds those features and uses the same DMD chip as the W1070 (i..e, with 144 Hz refresh rate). It is expected to carry a retail price a few hundred dollars higher than the W1070.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is online now  
post #2189 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
To all HTPC users who own W1070: can you test resolution (static & motion) of your W1070 using this test video? http://yadi.sk/d/eT8tm_fL2W8xC Note: PJ resolution must be set to 1080p60 Hz and all video enhancements must be off.
Elix is offline  
post #2190 of 10139 Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Newbie
 
Eszvik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
So, you had the same symptoms? The projector would just spontaneously shut down?

Yes it did the same, but after that it didn't start at all, only flashing red lamp LED...
Eszvik is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off