BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am having a real hard time ceiling mounting this projector and have it fill the screen perfectly.

I have the top and right sides of the image to lined up with my screen, but the left and bottom side is a little off because the bottom left corner looks a little inward. I know my measurements are not 99.9% exact, but I am sure is pretty darn accurate.

Could this be a problem with the optic/lens? Anyone else having the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM420 View Post

So I just received my 1070 a few hours ago. In the process of getting it all mounted and set up but its just sitting on my coffee table for now. For the most part I use my ps3 for just about everything. I have it hooked up through my a/v receiver (onkyo tx-nr515) and it wont get a signal on start up. Tried turning on the projector first then the receiver. Then the other way around as well... no dice. But if I unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in then it gets the signal. Any idea whats up or how I can fix this? Because that will be annoying lol

Have you tried switching input, then switch it back so it scans the signal again?

I used to have the same problem with my Optoma HD65, it's really hard for it to lock into the signal. But then I bought a 50ft long thick HDMI cable and never have the problem again.
post #2253 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I am having a real hard time ceiling mounting this projector and have it fill the screen perfectly.

I have the top and right sides of the image to lined up with my screen, but the left and bottom side is a little off because the bottom left corner looks a little inward. I know my measurements are not 99.9% exact, but I am sure is pretty darn accurate.

Could this be a problem with the optic/lens? Anyone else having the same problem?
Smokarz...I had similiar problems and it drove me crazy! Just when I thought I fixed it...if I switched to DirecTV I would have screen fitment issues. I just ended up over scanning the image. Although I don't use the built in overscanning...I used the zoom method and used the overscanning settings on my HTPC. What tricks have you tried. I can take pics if need be.
post #2254 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Smokarz...I had similiar problems and it drove me crazy! Just when I thought I fixed it...if I switched to DirecTV I would have screen fitment issues. I just ended up over scanning the image. Although I don't use the built in overscanning...I used the zoom method and used the overscanning settings on my HTPC. What tricks have you tried. I can take pics if need be.

Haven't use any tricks yet. I've been playing with moving the PJ up/down, left/right, etc. But can't fix this.

I won't be able to use overscan because my screen is borderless (it doesn't have black trims around the edges to absorb over spills).
post #2255 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Have you tried switching input, then switch it back so it scans the signal again?

I used to have the same problem with my Optoma HD65, it's really hard for it to lock into the signal. But then I bought a 50ft long thick HDMI cable and never have the problem again.
I did. I just did it again to double check. No signal. But I soon as I unplug hdmi and plug back in it detects it immediately... hmmm...
post #2256 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Never mind. Think i figured it out. Turned on the CEC in hdmi settings. Think it might have did the trick
post #2257 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpl View Post

Here goes a direct shootout between my old Acer H5360BD (570 hours) vs. Benq W1070 (4 hours, FW 1.02).
Both in ECO Mode (Cinema). Both DC3. Both out of the box settings.
Projection distance = 3.1m

Noise measurement device: HTC One X und https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pjw.noisemeter
Measurement time: 02:00 AM (total silence / background noise = 15-16dB)

RESULTS:
Acer = 28-29dB (advertised as 26-27dB in ECO)
Benq = 29-30dB

Contrast = no visible difference
Brightness = no visible difference
Colors = no visible difference
Sharpness = Benq +++ / Acer ++
Convergence / Distortion = Benq +++ / Acer +
Zoom / Screen size = Benq 104" / Acer 91"
3D (Half1080p SBS .mkv) = no visible difference, but with Benq a lot of clicking on 2 remotes (Mede8er player + Benq) to get the 3D image ... with ACER it's full auto - just playback change from 2D to 3D and the H5360BD switches itself to 3D SBS (no fiddling with HDMI settings, etc.)

Does the acer somehow recognize 3D SBS vs 3D HOU or does the acer just not support hou?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #2258 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Well my 1070 arrived today from amazon..I'm coming from a sharp dt-500 720 p projector around 5 years old .Initial impressions are its very bright with very good sharpness and color accuracy .It is a upgrade but I was hoping for a little more .i was hoping 5 years of projectors and a 1080p upgrade would be a significant difference .. But for 899.00 It is a unbelievable bargain and for people who want 3d for under a thousand it is hard to beat ..I will keep it and will enjoy 3d ..
post #2259 of 10263 Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM

Does anyone else have any image noise on their W1070? In dark areas I can see what looks like film grain noise. The noise reduction in the menu doesn't seem to change it. I'm using good quality HDMI cables, and I've tried them on both HDMI1 and HDMI2. Thankfully, it isn't visible at seating distance, but it bugs me that it's there in case I ever want to project bigger. It doesn't show in the parts of the screen that are taken up by the menu when I bring that up. I've taken a video of it:

http://youtu.be/Dt23cx77Osw

Also, I got my 3DTV Corp glasses the other day and tried them out last night. They worked very well. I've already ordered two more. I had no sync issues all night and the red was filtered out. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLP-LINK-Glasses-2-Mitsubishi-Samsung-DLP-TV-DLP-Link-Projectors-/150882711282

Coraline and Street Fighter IV both looked wonderful in stereo 3D. The motion in 1080p24 3D was very smooth in Coraline, so I won't be missing CFI. I'm really loving the 144Hz. 720p in SF4 didn't look blurry at all, and I noticed no input lag. Still wish I could have 1080p 3D at 60Hz, but I'm sure it will come someday to a projector. I'll just have to use my BenQ XL2420TX for now when I want that. smile.gif
post #2260 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Ezzelin,

You have to calibrate the basic settings properly, Brightness will adjust your black level and generally with DLP you'll want to set this to where there is no Dither (the DMD Dither is likely what you are calling 'noise').

Now with that said, only 0 IRE absolute black should have zero dither and anything above that will dither as this is how the DMD micro-mirrors function on a DLP (they pivot).

Once you have the basic settings adjusted properly don't worry too much about what it looks like right up at the screen with DLP (other than focal sharpness/uniformity) instead sit back at your main viewing position and enjoy. wink.gif

Jason
post #2261 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

It's interesting that removing this plastic "film" fixed your overheating issue. I wonder if this is something that BenQ places in the lamp area deliberately to see if the plastic has been removed - indicating a bulb has been swapped?
Ian

That is probably why they opted for issuing FW update (fixing fan speed) instead of calling all units sold for service overhaul (like Toyota does with their cars).
Much cheaper...

I had a long chat with Benq service guys here in Poland and they admitted the new FW doesn't bring anything new to the projector - just trying to overcome some hardware issues in some units (bad components, plastic films, etc smile.gif )
post #2262 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Does the acer somehow recognize 3D SBS vs 3D HOU or does the acer just not support hou?

Acer supports all 3D formats.
post #2263 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbox1080p View Post

I find this hard to swallow, your saying the color and contrast on a 720p projector is the same as a 1080p?

As for brightness / contrast pls bear in mind the 570 hours on Acer's bulb !
As lamp ages the brightness drops down and the ANSI contrast improves - of course smaller screen size also matters.
post #2264 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM

Liked: 13
Jason (DaGamePimp) do you own the 1070? I know you had a Mitsu HC30000 (cause your reviews sold me on it, lol). If so, how ould you compare the 2D image and black level/ shadow detail on the BenQ, if you can remember oh so long ago!biggrin.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
post #2265 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 AM

Ooooppss! Meant 3000 not 30,000. That model isn't out til June! Lol.tongue.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
post #2266 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post

Jason (DaGamePimp) do you own the 1070? I know you had a Mitsu HC30000 (cause your reviews sold me on it, lol). If so, how ould you compare the 2D image and black level/ shadow detail on the BenQ, if you can remember oh so long ago!biggrin.gif

I do not own the w1070 but have considered giving one a trial run once they are available at my local Fry's (which might be soon since the 1070 & 1080 are listed on their website).

This thread is no different from most other new unit threads that set the price per feature bar lower and lower, praises will be sung and hyperbole will be exclaimed but real world expectations should be kept.

Honestly the 1070 sounds like a bargain and having seen most of BenQ's offerings over the years I am pretty confident of what to expect with this model. BenQ builds some great performers and I am confident this model will out perform the HC3000 on most counts.

Or if anyone in the Portland Oregon area has one and is interested in a pro-level calibration I'll do so for about 1/3 of the standard ISF rate since it allows me to see the unit in person and get a solid grasp of its performance.

Jason
post #2267 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 AM

Not placing my hands in your pockets but here's to hoping you get one soon! I look forward to your review as your HC3000 reviews/ tips were spot on!! (IMHO)biggrin.gif

I'm getting there....!!!
post #2268 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzelin View Post

Does anyone else have any image noise on their W1070? In dark areas I can see what looks like film grain noise. The noise reduction in the menu doesn't seem to change it. I'm using good quality HDMI cables, and I've tried them on both HDMI1 and HDMI2. Thankfully, it isn't visible at seating distance, but it bugs me that it's there in case I ever want to project bigger. It doesn't show in the parts of the screen that are taken up by the menu when I bring that up. I've taken a video of it:

http://youtu.be/Dt23cx77Osw

Also, I got my 3DTV Corp glasses the other day and tried them out last night. They worked very well. I've already ordered two more. I had no sync issues all night and the red was filtered out. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DLP-LINK-Glasses-2-Mitsubishi-Samsung-DLP-TV-DLP-Link-Projectors-/150882711282

Coraline and Street Fighter IV both looked wonderful in stereo 3D. The motion in 1080p24 3D was very smooth in Coraline, so I won't be missing CFI. I'm really loving the 144Hz. 720p in SF4 didn't look blurry at all, and I noticed no input lag. Still wish I could have 1080p 3D at 60Hz, but I'm sure it will come someday to a projector. I'll just have to use my BenQ XL2420TX for now when I want that. smile.gif[/quote

In one of the reviews it was suggested that there was some nose in some of the modes. The suggestion was to turn Brilliant Color off, use Cinema Made and Smart Eco to get the best possible picture without noise.

Regarding the 3D corp. glasses. Be sure you get the non-rechargeable ones. The rechargeable version will not work with the 1070. I have tried several brands including Sansonic OKBA, and True-Depth. both work fine. The True-Depth block the red flash a little better and are more comfortable they are also rechargeable and cost about the same as the 3DTV glasses. . The Sansonic also work and are a good buy for about $25. each. The Okba's also work fine for about $25 each even though they are not listed at 144kz. I would suggest that if one is interested in buying multiple pairs of glasses that they get one or two pairs of the new versions of the True Depth. (Be sure to get them from their own website since Amazon may not have the latest version). If you need more pairs for guests and children the Sansonic and Okba will work fine.
post #2269 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The Okba's also work fine for about $25 each even though they are not listed at 144kz.

never heard of those Okba glasses before..
could you provide any links to shops / reviews?
post #2270 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisCE View Post

never heard of those Okba glasses before..
could you provide any links to shops / reviews?

They are very similar to the SanSonic and work just as well. The construction is about the same. They are alternatives to the SanSonic. I got them through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Rechargeable-Projector-Viewsonic-Mitsubishi/dp/B00AASENXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360766093&sr=8-1&keywords=okeba+3d+dlp

These work with the W1070. The are cheaply made but the company will back them up.. I got several pairs and had an issue with one. They immediately replaced the defective pair and did not even ask me to send the bad one back. This is how I rate the glasses.

1. True Depth (New Model that will work with W1070) Expensive
2. Okba or Sansonic both are equal.
post #2271 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM

I got mine yesterday and the mfg date was Jan 2013 with version 1.04 on it. Man am I blown away by this as a first home projector.

Ok I was able to make my projection screen and test the projector. I still need to mount it but I was just playing around last night. It has not been tuned to the screen, its straight out of the box. BTW the screen is a 100" and all the pictures were taken with a crappy cell phone.

I still need to frame out the screen.

post #2272 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

For those that are ceiling mounting your projectors in a living room and not a dedicated theater room or basement, how are you handling the power cord and HDMI situation?

If you are building out a space for a theater specifically, you could use drop ceilings or outlets in the ceiling, but those are both tough in a living room.

Any elegant solutions for covering these things on living room ceiling?

post #2273 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
well my cart at Amazon is full including the W1070 but came to a halt as far as a mounting bracket, read on this thread the right bracket for the W1070 it even head a picture, now would you believe it cannot find it?????? can someone direct me to it, please.

Thanks

Ralph
post #2274 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

For those that are ceiling mounting your projectors in a living room and not a dedicated theater room or basement, how are you handling the power cord and HDMI situation?

If you are building out a space for a theater specifically, you could use drop ceilings or outlets in the ceiling, but those are both tough in a living room.

Any elegant solutions for covering these things on living room ceiling?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought others might want to see a rear wall shelf solution. This is temporary for probably 6 months which is why I'm not making much effort for a "clean" install.

In my old dedicated theater, I ran all projector cables along the ceiling between 1x2 firring strips, then stretched and stapled a cloth/denim material around the 1x2's, hiding the cables and covering the wood.

post #2275 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Can anyone help me with the focus? One side of my desktop is clear and the other is out of focus. Had the pj 5" down, now its 10".

my keystone is at -3

could the lens have a smudge?

ARE we supposed to be able to clean the lens from dust? Or don't touch it,ever?
post #2276 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought others might want to see a rear wall shelf solution. This is temporary for probably 6 months which is why I'm not making much effort for a "clean" install.

In my old dedicated theater, I ran all projector cables along the ceiling between 1x2 firring strips, then stretched and stapled a cloth/denim material around the 1x2's, hiding the cables and covering the wood.

Doesn't help me, but cool none the less lol. I found some stuff on Amazon that should do the trick in any event, but if others want to give input, I won't object lol.

Is that an Atdec or Mustang mount you're using (they kinda look the same), and does your mount allow horizontal sliding, not tilting, but sliding of the PJ?

post #2277 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post

Can anyone help me with the focus? One side of my desktop is clear and the other is out of focus. Had the pj 5" down, now its 10".

my keystone is at -3

could the lens have a smudge?

ARE we supposed to be able to clean the lens from dust? Or don't touch it,ever?

You can clean the lens - just as you would any other camera or projector lens. It even mentions this in the "care and feeding" section of the user guide. Only use a lens cleaning cloth and lens cleaning fluid (if required). I wouldn't use any fluid on the lens when the projector is running due to the heat during projection - or during cool-down.

Ian
post #2278 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Will a ps3 hooked straight into this projector give me 3d or is something else needed?
post #2279 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirl54 View Post

Will a ps3 hooked straight into this projector give me 3d or is something else needed?

an HDMI cable that handles 3d will be needed.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #2280 of 10263 Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM

I am not sure if mine are 1.4 or not I thought older cables would work as well. I really just needed to know if I needed a 3d capable receiver.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page