BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anyone else having problem ceiling mount this projector and have the image perfectly squared to your screen?

Anyone experience slanted or trapezoid image?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

To bad that the Benq does not come with a lens cover to protect the lens from objects like dust & Grandkids..

It does have a lens cover.
post #2343 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the process of sending mine back to BenQ to (hopefully) correct the weird fan noise I'm getting. (sounds like a film projector)

I wish I could hear another unit to see if it's a noise that's normal for the unit, but it isn't anything I've heard from the other projectors I've owned and/or worked with. frown.gif
post #2344 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

For those that are ceiling mounting your projectors in a living room and not a dedicated theater room or basement, how are you handling the power cord and HDMI situation?

If you are building out a space for a theater specifically, you could use drop ceilings or outlets in the ceiling, but those are both tough in a living room.

Any elegant solutions for covering these things on living room ceiling?

I ordered some cable raceways on eBay, there is a lot of types and colors available, just search for "cable raceway" on google. Here a picture of the results, not perfect but still better than hanging cables.

*edit ; If you go the raceway route, never use the same raceway for both power and hdmi unless you have premium shielded hdmi cables, wich are very expansive. Both cable enclosed in the same raceway will introduce noise patern or weak signal in the picture.
post #2345 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbox1080p View Post

I watched 007 last night too, the Shanghai night time scenes were beautiful and had pop and punchy contrast. The action was so smooth and beats out lcd for this kind of stuff, very impressive

It was fun to watch Skyfall on both a JVC RS 45 and the W1070. The blacks reach another level with the RS45 but to my surprise the results on the W1070 are quite good. You will not get the ultra blacks from this projector but most people would be very satisfied.
The picture is bright and sharp with very good focus. The shadows and highlights are also good. It is much better than I expected from a sub $1000 projector. I got it mainly for 3D because the JVC shows a lot of ghosting and I find myself using it for regular tv viewing and sports. I use the JVC mostly for 2D movies because of the high lamp cost.
post #2346 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Anyone else having problem ceiling mount this projector and have the image perfectly squared to your screen?

I have the same problem...and I had it on my viewsonic pro8200. Although it's a lot better on the benq...I'm beginning to think it's my screen or the wall...not being completely flat. I'm not sure...
post #2347 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

To bad that the Benq does not come with a lens cover to protect the lens from objects like dust & Grandkids..

What are you talking about? Of course it does.
post #2348 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM

Last week I wrote about my w1070 bad picture quality and apparently my seller is reading this forum and contacted me. I just received a replacement unit this morning and this one is a firmware 1.4 unit and from the first test that I just made, it is obvious that the first one had a bad circuit or something. Now (even with dayligth in the room) the picture quality and colors are on par with my old HC4000 and regular resolution feed from my shaw direct is quite watchable. Can't wait to watch a movie or two tonigth.

I also receive my fixed frame 1.0 gain screen yesterday and will mount it tonigth, it's a no name 100 inch screen that I paid 350$ on ebay, Imwould have love a elunevision gray screen but the shipping charge were higher than the screen itself, so for the next couple weeks I will settle for that cheaper screen. The screen I use now is painted on the wall and does have a little hot spotting as I used some ceiling primer that I already had on hand, but it was not that far from the screen-goo screnn that I had last year with my hc4000. Sadly I painted over the screen-goo this summer when I replaced the HC4000 with a 70" sharp TV that I hated so much that I sold it for 2500$ less than I paid 5 months before....

here is some pics of my mount, a universal mount that sells for below 20$ on ebay (seller lcd-mount) and it work very well with that projector, it include a 4" drop and 8 inch drop adapter in the same box, they can be cut and drill in less than 2 minutes if you need less drop, as low as 2" I would say.

The old setup that I hated (sharp 70" 3d lcd)

The new setup, back to projector ( 100 inch painted screen and the new fixed frame screen waiting to be installed)

post #2349 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

I have the same problem...and I had it on my viewsonic pro8200. Although it's a lot better on the benq...I'm beginning to think it's my screen or the wall...not being completely flat. I'm not sure...

Can you take a pic so I can see how bad it is?

I think my is pretty bad, I'll try to post some pics tonight.
post #2350 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouFermont View Post

Last week I wrote about my w1070 bad picture quality and apparently my seller is reading this forum and contacted me. I just received a replacement unit this morning and this one is a firmware 1.4 unit and from the first test that I just made, it is obvious that the first one had a bad circuit or something. Now (even with dayligth in the room) the picture quality and colors are on par with my old HC4000 and regular resolution feed from my shaw direct is quite watchable. Can't wait to watch a movie or two tonigth.

I also receive my fixed frame 1.0 gain screen yesterday and will mount it tonigth, it's a no name 100 inch screen that I paid 350$ on ebay, Imwould have love a elunevision gray screen but the shipping charge were higher than the screen itself, so for the next couple weeks I will settle for that cheaper screen. The screen I use now is painted on the wall and does have a little hot spotting as I used some ceiling primer that I already had on hand, but it was not that far from the screen-goo screnn that I had last year with my hc4000. Sadly I painted over the screen-goo this summer when I replaced the HC4000 with a 70" sharp TV that I hated so much that I sold it for 2500$ less than I paid 5 months before....

here is some pics of my mount, a universal mount that sells for below 20$ on ebay (seller lcd-mount) and it work very well with that projector, it include a 4" drop and 8 inch drop adapter in the same box, they can be cut and drill in less than 2 minutes if you need less drop, as low as 2" I would say.

The old setup that I hated (sharp 70" 3d lcd)

The new setup, back to projector ( 100 inch painted screen and the new fixed frame screen waiting to be installed)

Looks great, and I got a question.

It looks like the middle of projector's lense is at least about 6-8" from the ceiling.

While the top of your screen looks like it's about 4-6" from ceiling.

Don't you need at least a 6-7" offest, assuming you have a 100" screen?
post #2351 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It was fun to watch Skyfall on both a JVC RS 45 and the W1070. The blacks reach another level with the RS45 but to my surprise the results on the W1070 are quite good. You will not get the ultra blacks from this projector but most people would be very satisfied.
The picture is bright and sharp with very good focus. The shadows and highlights are also good. It is much better than I expected from a sub $1000 projector. I got it mainly for 3D because the JVC shows a lot of ghosting and I find myself using it for regular tv viewing and sports. I use the JVC mostly for 2D movies because of the high lamp cost.

I would have watched it too on my jvc x30 but its going in for repair. I am in the same boat as you bud, I bought this for 3D and it does not disappoint
post #2352 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Looks great, and I got a question.

It looks like the middle of projector's lense is at least about 6-8" from the ceiling.

While the top of your screen looks like it's about 4-6" from ceiling.

Don't you need at least a 6-7" offest, assuming you have a 100" screen?

Yes, the painted screen is about 4 inch too high and i need keystone correction this way, I will mount the fixed screen lower to remove the keystone, I painted the screen using wrong calculation from the canadian benq website. For a 100 inch screen at 10' throw distance, the projector has to be 3 inch higher than the screen for zero keystone and shift.
post #2353 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Can you take a pic so I can see how bad it is?

I think my is pretty bad, I'll try to post some pics tonight.
Sure can! One thing I read that can help with the trapazoids is to get your PJ as level as you can and then use lens shift. That is one of the things I like about my peerless mount...it allowed a lot room for adjustment. It has up\down and left\right tilt adjustments. A little expensive but well forth it to me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #2354 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I ordered some cable raceways on eBay, there is a lot of types and colors available, just search for "cable raceway" on google.

*edit ; If you go the raceway route, never use the same raceway for both power and hdmi unless you have premium shielded hdmi cables, wich are very expansive. Both cable enclosed in the same raceway will introduce noise patern or weak signal in the picture.

I would maintain it's not necessary to separate the cables in different raceways. After all, the minimum bandwidth of HDMI v1.0 is 165 MHz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI). It's trivial to filter out 60 Hz with no impact on the digital signal. Not to mention, we have AC power line ethernet transceivers (which I use in my own home), in which the digital signal coexists on the same conductor as the 60 Hz line. Even one of these sets that is only good for 1 Mb/s has a transmission frequency of at least 1 MHz. It's much easier to filter 60 Hz line interference from an HDMI signal than from a power line ethernet signal. Also, the HDMI transmission scheme is differential, so it is not particularly susceptible to electrostatic pickup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition-minimized_differential_signaling). Regarding inductive pickup, such as would occur from a nearby AC line, from what I can glean from looking at the construction diagrams of numerous HDMI cables, the industry standard (it may be required -- I couldn't find that info, quickly, anyway) appears to be that each differential signal wire pair is twisted and individually electrostatically shielded. The twisted pair construction would greatly suppress AC line inductive pickup. So, I'm skeptical of the advice that it's necessary to separate the HDMI cable from the AC line run. In my own home theater room (my living room), I have made no attempt to separate my HDMI cable and AC line cord. They both run close to each other on the floor, along the wall, for more than 25 feet, the last 6 feet within the same cable raceway. I have no problems with video transmission. Just sayin'.
post #2355 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I had this and guessed that my problem was that the projector was not 100% perpendicular to the screen. I rotated the projector so that BOTH left and right sides showed identical trapezoid tendencies, then rotated the projector along the horizontal (lens up and down) until everything was square.
post #2356 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Everyone, here's a tip for making those final adjustments to the image; instead of tweaking with the mount, try tightening or loosening the screws that attach the mount to the projector.

I've been doing this for years as necessary and it gives you extremely fine adjustment capability. I'm talking no more than a turn or so - any more than that and you are too far off with the mount adjustment settings.
post #2357 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Everyone, here's a tip for making those final adjustments to the image; instead of tweaking with the mount, try tightening or loosening the screws that attach the mount to the projector.

I've been doing this for years as necessary and it gives you extremely fine adjustment capability. I'm talking no more than a turn or so - any more than that and you are too far off with the mount adjustment settings.

wait I just want to be clear, your talking about slightly loosening or tightening the screws that go into the projector that hold it to the mount?

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #2358 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
You can download a calibration disc from AVSForums, or you can buy Disney WOW BluRay which does a great job, or you can get a S&M Calibration Disc, either way you will want to calibrate yourself so you get what will look good for you in your own settings, as for a suggested setting well I say anything anyone gives you wont matter since its to their setup, just use the cinema setting thats in their by default until you get a calibration disc.

Thanks, I'll do that.
post #2359 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Sure can! One thing I read that can help with the trapazoids is to get your PJ as level as you can and then use lens shift. That is one of the things I like about my peerless mount...it allowed a lot room for adjustment. It has up\down and left\right tilt adjustments. A little expensive but well forth it to me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem with my setting is that my ceiling is less than 7ft, and I can't lower the screen since I got a few subs underneath it.

My lenshift is already maxed out (all the way up).

What I need is a really low profile mount.

So with the peerless mount, what's the distance from the ceiling to the middle of the lens? With my current Atdec mount, it's about 8".
post #2360 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the painted screen is about 4 inch too high and i need keystone correction this way, I will mount the fixed screen lower to remove the keystone, I painted the screen using wrong calculation from the canadian benq website. For a 100 inch screen at 10' throw distance, the projector has to be 3 inch higher than the screen for zero keystone and shift.

Are you sure? Only 3"? According to the manual, it's gotta be at least 6" above the top of the screen.
post #2361 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:15 PM

I will mount the screen in a couple hours, I will measure the drop after to be sure.
post #2362 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

wait I just want to be clear, your talking about slightly loosening or tightening the screws that go into the projector that hold it to the mount?

Yep, that's it. The screws run deep so there is room to adjust.
post #2363 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, that's it. The screws run deep so there is room to adjust.
thats not a bad idea and since the projector is its own weight it wont move up and down since its handing, I will keep that in mind, guess you would need like a right angle screw driver to get to them once its mounted.

post #2364 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

thats not a bad idea and since the projector is its own weight it wont move up and down since its handing, I will keep that in mind, guess you would need like a right angle screw driver to get to them once its mounted.

I just use a 2 1/2" short stubby phillips screwdriver - won't need right angle or anything like that..
post #2365 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Hi, my w1070 image is nice and straight both sides and top/bottom.

I'm disappointed that it isn't sharply focussed across the whole image. This is very noticeable in the menu screen.

If the menu is in the centre of the screen, then I can adjust the focus ring to get the menu text almost perfectly sharp. If I then go into the menu options and move the menu to the corners of the screen then the text gets pretty blurred - certainly a lot more blurred than it is in the centre of the screen.

Would appreciate if other owners could comment on the sharpness of text across the whole screen, particularly by trying this method of moving the menu position around.

Thanks smile.gif
post #2366 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just use a 2 1/2" short stubby phillips screwdriver - won't need right angle or anything like that..

k

post #2367 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macster2 View Post

I'm disappointed that it isn't sharply focussed across the whole image. This is very noticeable in the menu screen.

If the menu is in the centre of the screen, then I can adjust the focus ring to get the menu text almost perfectly sharp. If I then go into the menu options and move the menu to the corners of the screen then the text gets pretty blurred - certainly a lot more blurred than it is in the centre of the screen.

Would appreciate if other owners could comment on the sharpness of text across the whole screen, particularly by trying this method of moving the menu position around.

post #2368 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modde239 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macster2 View Post

I don't have this problem the hole picture is sharp all corners and center.....
post #2369 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm even more concerned that I've got an imperfect unit!

The funny thing is when I'm watching a movie (or whatever) the image looks good across the whole screen (I'm using a 120" screen), but when I move the menu around the screen that's when I see the blurred text in the corners versus the sharp text when the menu is in the centre (center for you folks in the US!smile.gif) of the screen.

If any other owners out there could try moving the menu position around the screen and confirm if it remains consistently sharp/focussed that'd be appreciated.

Thanks again.
post #2370 of 10401 Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM

Come on on-line retailers. Put this on sale for $899 again. frown.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version