BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Buy it. Enjoy it. Life is short.

Willie

Couldn't agree more. I was tossing this purchase up for some time until I went damn it just go and buy it and enjoy. And I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Bought mine from Amazon, if the benQ does not meet my expectation will send back then spend more on a Epson 3020 but no lens shift....

Ralph
post #2613 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
Well it's been 2 weeks with no problems until today. was watching titanic in 3d when projector shut off by itself ,red lamp light flashes and will not power up the Manual says lamp failure . I have had a sharp for 5 years without a glitch... .I received this from amazon so I will exchange it ...grrrrr I'm a little bummed
post #2614 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichev View Post

Well it's been 2 weeks with no problems until today. was watching titanic in 3d when projector shut off by itself ,red lamp light flashes and will not power up the Manual says lamp failure . I have had a sharp for 5 years without a glitch... .I received this from amazon so I will exchange it ...grrrrr I'm a little bummed

My opinion to get this PJ at this value its super put together and if it flies.,it flies otherwise it will be retun back and after the one year warranty to bad.................. On the other hand the Epson 3020 2 years warranty and will send you a new one while you ship yours back with 2 pairs of glasses and the only downfall is no lens shift or keystone.

Ralph
post #2615 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

after the one year warranty.

In Australia we get a 2 year home collection and return on the projector and 6 months or 750 hours on the lamp.

Purchased mine for AU$897.46 at Officeworks on a price match basis using Penta Group price and shipping.
post #2616 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Earlier there were discussions about the Darbee, I have been using one for a while. It adds a modest increase in perceived contrast and sharpness to SOME scenes. Even a very sharp DLP can still benefit from the Darbee, the issue is the sharpness in the source content itself (the movie or show) of what you are watching is often not as good as the projector's capabilities. The problem is cameras have focal points and camera men tend to have to choose what part of the image is most in focus, also there are varying levels of source content, bitrates, camera work, and what not. So yes, it does help some, but I'm not sure it's worth the $350 for a budget setup (maybe). It is worth it overall, just make sure you are not blowing that $350 before something else more important. I like the Darbee don't get me wrong, but it would be better if it had multiple "RC Like" algorithms as well as its own primary algorithm to play around with. It is worth it if you are a videophile.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2617 of 9865 Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Just bought the Epson 3020 for 1200$ and its like dead silent, I can't hear the fan at all. The 3D is amazing and the 1080p content is breath taking. I don't know how the noise level, 3D and 1080p is on the Benq in comparison but I am very very happy with the Epson 3020 so far.hostgator web hosting
post #2618 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Earlier there were discussions about the Darbee, I have been using one for a while. It adds a modest increase in perceived contrast and sharpness to SOME scenes. Even a very sharp DLP can still benefit from the Darbee, the issue is the sharpness in the source content itself (the movie or show) of what you are watching is often not as good as the projector's capabilities. The problem is cameras have focal points and camera men tend to have to choose what part of the image is most in focus, also there are varying levels of source content, bitrates, camera work, and what not. So yes, it does help some, but I'm not sure it's worth the $350 for a budget setup (maybe). It is worth it overall, just make sure you are not blowing that $350 before something else more important. I like the Darbee don't get me wrong, but it would be better if it had multiple "RC Like" algorithms as well as its own primary algorithm to play around with. It is worth it if you are a videophile.
I have been ignoring the Darbee because I'm thinking it's artificially adding detail, like a sharpness control, only without the ringing or halos. Am I right or is this little thing ok?

post #2619 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackergwj View Post

Just bought the Epson 3020 for 1200$ and its like dead silent, I can't hear the fan at all. The 3D is amazing and the 1080p content is breath taking. I don't know how the noise level, 3D and 1080p is on the Benq in comparison but I am very very happy with the Epson 3020 so far.1.gif

Not to be rude or anything, but what does this have to do with the w1070?
post #2620 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If some of you are worried about the 1 year warranty buy the projector with an American Express or some other card that gives you an additional year warranty.
post #2621 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well received the Benq & other items just inspected the items to make sure they were OK and they were the Ben was manufacture this month. February 2013, so hope that its a good sign, seen the remote it looks like child remote for a toy.

What hardware revision is listed on the Feb 2013 box and what firmware version do you have?
post #2622 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 AM

This projector from what I have read ticks all my boxes. Low input lag, 6x Color wheel, 1080p, 3D ect. I could go on. It's just the balck levels I'm hearing about are supposed to be not that good. I hope their not as bad as to ruin dark scenes in games or movies.
teeger likes this.

post #2623 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

"Ruin" is a strong word. Let's just say that you will be aware that night scenes could be better, but if this is your first projector you'll be so blown away by the big, bright, sharp, color accurate picture that it won't be a big deal, especially for the price.
I suppose I have been guilty in this thread of repeatedly pointing out the black level limitations to partially balance out all the excited first time projector buyers giving rave reviews as if $900 buys you the best projector ever made.
I see. I'm used to seeing blacks that could be better lol. It sounds I shouldn't worry about it. Can't wait for it to arrive wink.gif

post #2624 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
Funny that some of you are making the blacks such a huge deal about this PJ..i read on the (projector review) site that the blacks of the w1070 bests some of the more costly PJ's that they reviewed...for 1000$!....
post #2625 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackergwj View Post

Just bought the Epson 3020 for 1200$ and its like dead silent, I can't hear the fan at all. The 3D is amazing and the 1080p content is breath taking. I don't know how the noise level, 3D and 1080p is on the Benq in comparison but I am very very happy with the Epson 3020 so far.1.gif

I have seen it and its nice question that I could have or problem is if needed to use the lens shift, will be out of luck, can pick it up for $1,300 . Should had bought it since its local brick store then return it if had to use the lens shift.

Ralph
post #2626 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

What hardware revision is listed on the Feb 2013 box and what firmware version do you have?

Wlill look just seen the year made, about to set it up, fingers crossed.

Ralph
post #2627 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I have been ignoring the Darbee because I'm thinking it's artificially adding detail, like a sharpness control, only without the ringing or halos. Am I right or is this little thing ok?

I have a darblet that I use with my JVC RS50 and the little bugger is amazing. It doesn't work like a sharpness control as it seems to involve slight contrast/gamma tweaks to make the changes and it isn't changing everything like a sharpness control does. I couldn't recommend it enough and the added depth, detail and clarity it gives is impressive (my RS50 is itself detailed and has solid depth) and when you go back and forth with the on/off button you can see it isn't changing much yet the finished product on screen in motion is bigger than the sum of its parts so to speak. To me it makes 1080p content on our 100"+ screens look more like it does on a smaller flat panel where the limitations of the resolution blown up to that size aren't as noticeable. Oh I have tried it out on my 50" plasma and the effect was very subtle so it seems the bigger the screen the greater the impact which goes back to the sentence before about the limitations of 1080p on a large screen.

I will say that like coderguy, I don't know if at $350 (I got mine at the entry level price which I think was 100 less) it is the way to go for someone looking to buy one of these budget type projectors. I mean the device itself is still worth it at $350 yet if one looking at $1k projectors has an extra $350 to spend then it seems like it'd make more sense to put it towards a better projector with a higher contrast ratio which would have a greater impact than the darblet.

I plan to probably get the W1070 just to use as my 3d projector in my theater along with maybe playing some video games on to save hours on my RS50 bulb (since many games I don't care about what the pq is like) so I will be able to see the effect the darblet has on it.

ROB
post #2628 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post

I will say that like coderguy, I don't know if at $350 (I got mine at the entry level price which I think was 100 less) it is the way to go for someone looking to buy one of these budget type projectors. I mean the device itself is still worth it at $350 yet if one looking at $1k projectors has an extra $350 to spend then it seems like it'd make more sense to put it towards a better projector with a higher contrast ratio which would have a greater impact than the darblet.

True, but even owners of more expensive projectors that the ones discussed in this forum see an improvement in their picture quality with the Darbee. It basically comes down to whether a person can afford this device or not. As you mentioned the bigger the screen the more obvious the benefit.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #2629 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM

My friend stopped by last night and was blown away at how much better the picture quality is over my HD65.

Crappy Iphone pic doesnt do it justicece
post #2630 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

"Ruin" is a strong word. Let's just say that you will be aware that night scenes could be better, but if this is your first projector you'll be so blown away by the big, bright, sharp, color accurate picture that it won't be a big deal, especially for the price.
I suppose I have been guilty in this thread of repeatedly pointing out the black level limitations to partially balance out all the excited first time projector buyers giving rave reviews as if $900 buys you the best projector ever made.

This is very true. It's my first digital projector and I am just in awe. I keep trying to understand what black levels are because to me black looks black. I'm going to avoid watching another projector lest I become disappointed with this one.

I have a 58" Samsung Plasma which I assume would have good black levels. I don't really notice a big difference yet but maybe if it's not something you are looking for, you would not notice.

Maybe after some time, I will notice.
post #2631 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wlill look just seen the year made, about to set it up, fingers crossed.

Firmware version the latest the 4..

Ralph
post #2632 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well trying to set up the PJ on a table to see what the picture looks like and connected the projector with my HDMi cable 1.4 to my Play station 3 no video checked the Hdmi source and it was correct so went directly from a Samsung Blu Ray player to the Projector no Video again tried HDMI 1 & 2 and the screen stated either PC no video nor serching for source. and still no video, perhaps I just answer my own problem why did it state PC, have no computer connected???????

The remote is so little that have to use a magnifying glass to read it, that must be my eyes LOL.

Ralph
post #2633 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I made an accou t just to make a post that may help some people wanting to purchase this for use with a ps3. I noticed a few pwople having problems with a greyed out 3d menu. Playing a blu ray 3d disc worked very easily. You just hit the menu button and the 3d options are right there for you. Now i dont condone downloading pirated videos but for the sake of information this is how i found it to work.

If you have a downloaded SBS or HSBS you have to go into the display settings on the ps3 and change the maximum resolution to 1080i, if it is on 1080p the 3d menu will be blacked out.

If you have a top bottom downloaded video you must use 720p asyour maximum settings. While in 720p top bottom and frame packed are available while sbs is greyed out and vice versa for 1080i.

Hopefully that helps ease some frustration for first time users.

As far as quality i can tell a huge difference from my current projector the epson ex7200 (which i love and is a great projector). Some people said they had loud noises when they first used it but i have not encountered those issues. The epson was easier to setup because of the auto keystone but the difference is minimal.
post #2634 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Quote:

What hardware revision is listed on the Feb 2013 box and what firmware version do you have?[/quo
k
te]

I have a Dec. 2012 W1070 with firmware 1.04 with revision 00-102. The 2nd unit is a Feb 2013 build with firmware 1.04 and revision 00-103. What does the higher rev. number mean with the Feb 2013 build?
Ian
post #2635 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post

I have a darblet that I use with my JVC RS50 and the little bugger is amazing. It doesn't work like a sharpness control as it seems to involve slight contrast/gamma tweaks to make the changes and it isn't changing everything like a sharpness control does. I couldn't recommend it enough and the added depth, detail and clarity it gives is impressive (my RS50 is itself detailed and has solid depth) and when you go back and forth with the on/off button you can see it isn't changing much yet the finished product on screen in motion is bigger than the sum of its parts so to speak. To me it makes 1080p content on our 100"+ screens look more like it does on a smaller flat panel where the limitations of the resolution blown up to that size aren't as noticeable. Oh I have tried it out on my 50" plasma and the effect was very subtle so it seems the bigger the screen the greater the impact which goes back to the sentence before about the limitations of 1080p on a large screen.

I plan to probably get the W1070 just to use as my 3d projector in my theater along with maybe playing some video games on to save hours on my RS50 bulb (since many games I don't care about what the pq is like) so I will be able to see the effect the darblet has on it.

I also have the Darblet which I use with both my JVC RS45 and W1070. In my opinion it does make a difference I use the 1070 for 3D and casual viewing. The RS45 is reserved for films and special TV shows. With a possible bulb life of up to 6,000 hours in SmartEco mode I don't worry about using the 1070 all the time. The Bulbs are also much less expensive.
post #2636 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM

I'm hearing that the input lag of this PJ is around 20ms, but what mode does this, all or a specific one? I don't think it has a game mode from what I've read.

post #2637 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm pulling the trigger this week on either the 1070 or the Epson 3020. This is my first projector, but my room space is on the small side (10 x 11), with a 92" 1.1 gain screen, and the only thing dissuading me from pulling the trigger is the possible rainbow effect. Unfortunately, I have no idea how susceptible I am - only time I've ever seen it on a home display was on a Mitsubishi projection DLP set about 6 years ago, so long ago that it's probably not even relevant to the discussion - it's a maddening decision.
post #2638 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Well trying to set up the PJ on a table to see what the picture looks like and connected the projector with my HDMi cable 1.4 to my Play station 3 no video checked the Hdmi source and it was correct so went directly from a Samsung Blu Ray player to the Projector no Video again tried HDMI 1 & 2 and the screen stated either PC no video nor searching for source. and still no video, perhaps I just answer my own problem why did it state PC, have no computer connected???????

The remote is so little that have to use a magnifying glass to read it, that must be my eyes LOL.

Hi, I ran into the setup 'PC no video' problem as well. Solution: From the manual (yes read the manual):

To select the video source:

• Using the remote control or projector
1. Press SOURCE on the projector or remote control. A source
selection bar displays.
2. Press / until your desired signal is selected and press MODE/ENTER.

• Using the OSD menu
1. Press MENU/EXIT and then press / until the System Setup : Basic menu is highlighted.
2. Press to highlight Input Source and press MODE/ENTER. The source selection bar displays.
3. Press / repeatedly until your desired signal is selected and press MODE/ENTER.

Once detected, the selected source information will display on the screen for seconds. If there are multiple pieces of equipment connected to the projector, you can go back to the source selection bar again to search for other signals.

There you go!
post #2639 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Hi, I ran into the setup 'PC no video' problem as well. Solution: From the manual (yes read the manual):

To select the video source:

• Using the remote control or projector
1. Press SOURCE on the projector or remote control. A source
selection bar displays.
2. Press / until your desired signal is selected and press MODE/ENTER.
• Using the OSD menu
1. Press MENU/EXIT and then press / until the System Setup : Basic menu is highlighted.
2. Press to highlight Input Source and press MODE/ENTER. The source selection bar displays.
3. Press / repeatedly until your desired signal is selected and press MODE/ENTER.
here you go!
Once detected, the selected source information will display on the screen for seconds. If there are multiple pieces of equipment connected to the projector, you can go back to the source selection bar again to search for other signals.

Thanks, somehow kept on pressing hdmi 1 and it would default to PC mode but have it now., now reading on how to get to the 3D source so that would be able to input its all blank now same as the service , menu have the PJ on table in the event that return it , so do not want to set it up on the ceiling yet until I feel comfortable but that adds on hours.

Ralph
post #2640 of 9865 Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Great discussion here and a helpful comparison.

Can anyone advice on my particular needs. I'm debating between BenQ w1070 and Epson 3010e and Optoma HD33

My projection distance isn't huge: Just 10 feet and 6 inches or slightly less

But I don't want the image that big anyway. I'm projecting over a piano so I can have a vertical height that's only 4 feet 6 inches. 54 inches tall.

Going to do ceiling mount. I guess I have to mount it upside down?

Really want to go wireless HDMI with this: Think I'll be able to strap the Wireless Receiver to the top (which will actually be the bottom, upside down) of the projector? I guess that's one advantage of the 3010e (built-in wireless)

I used the projection distance calculators on the BenQ, Optoma, and Epson web sites. I think they'll all work, although I think the BenQ gets the largest image size at the shortest distance, which may not be great for me. But I'm sure there are ways to adjust things.

But it seems, of my 3 choices, BenQ's the most adjustable, right?

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page