BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Dredd looked terrible on my RS48, so I had to watch it in 3D.

Yeah, me too! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Looking more and more like this is the best option, despite some QC issues that are, admittedly, a little off putting. Probably will order this projector though, even if it doesn't come down to $899. Just trying to decide if I should gamhble waiting until March Madness, when there is a good chance it will go on sale, or buy it before March 2nd before they stop offering the Amazon gift card deal. Decisions.

The other contenders seem to be falling by the wayside though. The Optoma H25 looked like a solid contender, but according to the review, it seems to calibrate to only about 1000-1100 Lumens. Not feeling the slower color wheel or louder fan either. The RF glasses would have been very nice though.

The Acer 6510BD hasn't been reviewed yet and there is still a chance that it could be a worthy consideration. Especially since it is $799 on Amazon. I believe it also has a slower color wheel though, an it has and RGB/YMC setup, which sounds like you sacrifice color accuracy in exchange for peak white brightness, from what I gather. Need to see a review on how it turns out, but I have a feeling that the W1070 will hold off this challenge too.

Main thing holding me back (aside from the QC issues) is that I know as soon as I order it will go down to $899 lol. Amazon has a match guarantee, but I'm not sure if the gift card deal would muck that up somehow.

Here's hoping the batch with the build date of February does the trick.

post #2703 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Question. The power cord on the projector seems to be the same as a PC power cord. Are people using an extension cord when they setup the PJ for a long run to an outlet or are you replacing the cord with a longer compatible cord altogether?

post #2704 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM

I received my replacement projector from Amazon yesterday the first thing I noticed is the fan is a lot quieter. I watched Titanic in 3d and I'm still amazed at the Quality of the 3 D. The firmware is 1.04 just like the old one..I have my fingers crossed that this puppy will work. .
post #2705 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Yes it can...I got mine last week and it has definitely made a big difference in my viewing experience. It really adds a lot of detail to the picture! I leave it on all the time now...around 60% HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Yes it can...I got mine last week and it has definitely made a big difference in my viewing experience. It really adds a lot of detail to the picture! I leave it on all the time now...around 60% HD.

How did you attached it to the BenQ, suppose to have no threads to be able to attach anything???????

Ralph
post #2706 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

How did you attached it to the BenQ, suppose to have no threads to be able to attach anything???????

it goes in line with whatever your using, so in my case everything runs through my AVR so from the HDMI out of my AVR, I have it go into the Darbee HDMI in and then from the darbee hdmi out will go to the display, in this case the projector (once I get the projector)

post #2707 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I hav
I have mine setup like this... My projector is connected to the HDMI Output (on the darbee) and I have another HDMI cable going from Input (on the darbee) connected into the output HDMI connector on the Receiver. Is this correct.? Hope that helps!
post #2708 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Sounds like you thought it was a lens (like an ND filter), it's not, it's an inline HDMI device. wink.gif

Jason
post #2709 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Here's hoping the batch with the build date of February does the trick.

I initially posted issues with rattling fan noise on a December and January build BenQW1070. The February build replacement has held up very well and has been extremely quiet so far. Hopefully BenQ worked out some of their QC stuff since then.
post #2710 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

I initially posted issues with rattling fan noise on a December and January build BenQW1070. The February build replacement has held up very well and has been extremely quiet so far. Hopefully BenQ worked out some of their QC stuff since then.
I'm not bothered by the fan noise. My build is Feb., I held out long enough for them to fix all the problems. Just like I did with the W7000. Maybe they should make them right on the first attempt
post #2711 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

I think when you get a good one you get a good one - regardless of build date. I originally bought a Dec. 2012 W1070 that was perfect - except it had a lot of brightness flickering with firmware v. 1.03. I contacted BenQ and they swapped my unit for another. I got a Jan. 2013 build with firmware 1.04 as a replacement. It had a fair bit of "flare" on the lef side of the screen (a greenish white smearing you could see beside and above white text). They replaced this unit with a Feb. 2013 build with 1.04 firmware . . . when I saw that it was a Feb. build I was hopeful . . .

It turned out that the image from the Feb. projector was way worse than the one before . . . so I decided to send back the Feb. 2013 unit in favor of keeping the one prior with the flare. The Feb. 2013 projector did a great job with sharpness to the bottom half of the image. The top half was really soft looking . . . when I would look closely you could see the pixel structure was obvious where the pic was sharp and almost invisible in the top half due to how soft the pic was.

Even though I have had a couple of issues (as others have), the projector for the $$$ is remarkable. A lot of folks have complained about the build quality, lack of certain features and BenQ requiring better quality control. Considering that their support has been excellent, I can't fault them for offering such a great looking picture for about a grand. I've had Epson product, and I can tell you that even their higher priced units suffer from worse problems than I have seen with this BenQ model.

One question: What does the BenQ revision number mean?

Ian
post #2712 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What is the revision number on the Feb build? I am wondering if they made any changes in the hardware? The revision numbers are on the box.
post #2713 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Sounds like you thought it was a lens (like an ND filter), it's not, it's an inline HDMI device. wink.gif

Jason

Thanks for the reply but $319 that is a third of the pj cost, WOW.

Ralph
post #2714 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM

please please please can any one state a 3d receiver that will work with the 1070 i just got a onkyo tx nr 515 300 bucks it wont connect anything not the xbox or pc i have them running thru receiver and 1070 for display nothing happens when i try to veiw one but there is sound please keep it under 300 i need help bad guys post your 3d capable receivers
post #2715 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Question. The power cord on the projector seems to be the same as a PC power cord. Are people using an extension cord when they setup the PJ for a long run to an outlet or are you replacing the cord with a longer compatible cord altogether?

Hi, yes the power cord is exactly the same as a PC one. I have mine on a 10m light weight (i.e. read cheap) extension cord at the moment, until I can make changes. No problems at all.
post #2716 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

What is the revision number on the Feb build? I am wondering if they made any changes in the hardware? The revision numbers are on the box.

I posted this info. a couple of days back . . .
I have a Dec. 2012 W1070 with firmware 1.04 with revision 00-102. The 2nd unit is a Feb 2013 build with firmware 1.04 and revision 00-103. What does the higher rev. number mean with the Feb 2013 build?
Ian
post #2717 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpavs View Post

I love this forum and the info which I find on it. I would like to ask if anyone has noticed some of the issues with new benq w1070 right out of the box. I will appreciate any help on this. See the photos which I have attached.

I've looked at the two W1070 units I had, and comparing them with your pics, I do see the exact same thing you show in pic number 1 with both units. To me, this looks like it's normal . . . I am guessing, but I think the flecking might be simply a byproduct of the manufacturing process for this part. You really have to look hard to see this when looking at the lens assembly - this part is really an internal part, so the cosmetic quality isn't all that important.

Ian
post #2718 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

I posted this info. a couple of days back . . .
I have a Dec. 2012 W1070 with firmware 1.04 with revision 00-102. The 2nd unit is a Feb 2013 build with firmware 1.04 and revision 00-103. What does the higher rev. number mean with the Feb 2013 build?
Ian

I wish I knew. It is interesting that boy the Jan and Feb builds have hardware revision 103. The Oct Nov builds 101 and the Dec build 102. I am wondering if they made some hardware changes with the fan or something else.
post #2719 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply but $319 that is a third of the pj cost, WOW.

Solid Signal has open box units for $259 (AVS may as well but you would have to ask them).

Jason
post #2720 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Found this recent review today for the W1070. It seems reviewers have a lot of good things to say about this BenQ projector . . . they say here that the 3D performance is "flawless". Hmmm . . . got to get me some 3D glasses some time soon!

Here's the review link:

http://www.digitalversus.com/video-projector/benq-w1070-p15515/test.html

Ian
post #2721 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Hi, yes the power cord is exactly the same as a PC one. I have mine on a 10m light weight (i.e. read cheap) extension cord at the moment, until I can make changes. No problems at all.

I am currently stalling the speakers banana plugs to this Onkyo and are you stating that the power cord will not work????? or what is the problem with this Onkyo??????

Ralph
post #2722 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am going to be ordering one of these shortly and am wondering where I might get 3D movies besides buying them. I usually only watch movies once so spending $20 to $40 for a 3D BD doesn't work. Any rental/streaming options available?

Jack
post #2723 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 PM

In the W1070 manual, there is a section relating to setting black level / IRE setting (pg. 33). What is recommended for USA / Canada? How does everyone feel it should be set for NTSC Blu-ray playback? Here is the text from the manual.

"Setting Black Level

Highlight Black Level in the Picture > Advanced... menu and press / on the projector or
remote control to select 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE.
The grayscale video signal is measured in IRE units. In some areas which use NTSC TV standard, the
grayscale is measured from 7.5 IRE (black) to 100 IRE (white); however, in other areas where PAL
equipment or Japanese NTSC standards are used, the grayscale is measured from 0 IRE (black) to 100 IRE
(white). We suggest that you check the input source to see if it is with 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE, then select
accordingly."

I'm not sure, but I guess you need to also set the IRE level in the playback equipment (Blu-ray player, etc.) that is connected to the projector.

Any thoughts?

Ian
post #2724 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebully View Post

please please please can any one state a 3d receiver that will work with the 1070 i just got a onkyo tx nr 515 300 bucks it wont connect anything not the xbox or pc i have them running thru receiver and 1070 for display nothing happens when i try to veiw one but there is sound please keep it under 300 i need help bad guys post your 3d capable receivers

I also have the 515 and was having the same problem with my ps3. I had to unplug the hdmi from the back of the projector and plug it back in everytime I turned it on. Couldnt find anything about it except a couple suggestions here and there (which none of them worked). I finally just started messing with stuff lol. Go into the hdmi settings on the onkyo and turn the RIHD hdmi control off (I figured it would have to be on but it doesn't work). And have the hdmi through on. I have it set to game because all I really use is my ps3. You could try putting it to last or whichever and see if it works. If that doesn't fix it let me know and ill tell you what other settings I changed but I think I have it narrowed down to that one
post #2725 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

In the W1070 manual, there is a section relating to setting black level / IRE setting (pg. 33). What is recommended for USA / Canada? How does everyone feel it should be set for NTSC Blu-ray playback? Here is the text from the manual.

"Setting Black Level

Highlight Black Level in the Picture > Advanced... menu and press / on the projector or
remote control to select 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE.
The grayscale video signal is measured in IRE units. In some areas which use NTSC TV standard, the
grayscale is measured from 7.5 IRE (black) to 100 IRE (white); however, in other areas where PAL
equipment or Japanese NTSC standards are used, the grayscale is measured from 0 IRE (black) to 100 IRE
(white). We suggest that you check the input source to see if it is with 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE, then select
accordingly."

I'm not sure, but I guess you need to also set the IRE level in the playback equipment (Blu-ray player, etc.) that is connected to the projector.

Any thoughts?

Ian

That is an analog setting, does not need to be used with HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM420 View Post

I also have the 515 and was having the same problem with my ps3. I had to unplug the hdmi from the back of the projector and plug it back in everytime I turned it on. Couldnt find anything about it except a couple suggestions here and there (which none of them worked). I finally just started messing with stuff lol. Go into the hdmi settings on the onkyo and turn the RIHD hdmi control off (I figured it would have to be on but it doesn't work). And have the hdmi through on. I have it set to game because all I really use is my ps3. You could try putting it to last or whichever and see if it works. If that doesn't fix it let me know and ill tell you what other settings I changed but I think I have it narrowed down to that one

You can also try turning off Deep Color on the PS3 as this is not used and can create many HDMI handshake issues.

* One of the better AVR deals out there is the Denon 1712 for under $250 as it uses Audyssey MultEQ XT.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&PCatId=refurbishedprocat(denonna)&CatId=AVReceiversRef(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR1712(DenonNA)&IsRef=1

Jason
post #2726 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I have a Sony STR-DH520 and 3D works flawlessly! I have a PS3, 360 and HTPC hooked up to it and 3D works as expected. This receiver has 3D passthrough on all HDMI ports. Highly recommend it and can be had for ~$250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #2727 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

It looks like your receiver is 3D ready (just like the 1070), you just need a 3D device (bluray player, 3D directv box, etc) to provide the content for it. Grab your manuals, you need to go through the setup menu on the Onkyo to enable your HDMI inputs and monitor out to the projector. You also need to make sure you set the correct HDMI input on the 1070. It looks like there have been some firmware issues with that model so you may need to do an update.
post #2728 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know. Found a 25ft PC power cord on monoprice. 14AWG. Only $11. I'll go that route.

Hopefully I never have to swap the PJ unless I'm selling it lol, but if I do have an issue, it will be easier to not even use the included cord at all so that I can leave everything in place and just plug the new one in.

post #2729 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 124
So I've finally seen some rainbows, when my PJ overheated because I put the heat in my apt super high last night, and when I turned on the PJ it shut itself off. So I took it down and put a fan on it to cool it off (I'm moving tomorrow anyway). When I put it back up, I had plugged the HDMI back into HDMI 2 and my default settings went back to standard, and on a white/black test website (if you must know sciencedaily.com) I saw some rainbows but only in the text area. As soon as I switched the colour setting to Cinema or the other ones, I no longer see the rainbows at all. Moral of the story is, use Cinema or some custom one if you see any rainbows, there is a good chance they're only noticeable on Standard. But after 581 hours using this projector, only noticing them now and then having them disappear with a very easily selectable option, is a good thing.

++winner. hate to sound like a fanboy, but this PJ is a winner. I wish for deeper blacks sometimes, but when I'm watching most shows the contrast is very good and the colours are great. 3D is great too but only in bright movies. In dimmer movies like Prometheus I would say, as cool as it is, I'll avoid it for the most part. I don't think 3D is where this PJ shines, at least for really dark movies. For bright, animations like Pixar movies it's golden (although I wish I had FI on 3D...unfortunately it's something that has to be in the projector itself since HDMI 1.4 is too slow for 60fps 3d)
post #2730 of 9506 Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM

Liked: 12
Got my second replacement projector over the weekend (third projector total) and it may finally be a keeper. Fit and finish much better than the others, and no major issues yet. A couple of minor ones, though:

- I'm not sure how accurate the equivalent lamp hour counter is -- it's showing 13 hrs, but I've only used it for about 9 hours tops. Does the number of on/off cycles increase the count over the actual time to account for thermal stress?

- I've only watched one 3D movie so far, using the TrueDepth glasses, and had sync issues. Every 5-10 minutes I would lose sync for a few seconds (my head was perfectly still; never looked away). It would usually come back by itself, but I'd often have to press the button on the glasses a couple of times to sync again. May be the glasses, though. Any advice?

-My lens does show the minor "smearing" that others have seen if you look close. It's invisible at a proper viewing distance, though. I pretty much expect lens aberrations like this for $899.

Just finished a movie shot with a Red camera, and the image was simply amazing. Better than seeing it a theater. If I can now work out the first two minor issues, I'm gonna be over the moon about this thing.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page