BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 10154 Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochg3 View Post

Would this be a decent projector for an outdoor theatre setup (132")? I'm looking for the best 3d 1080p projector for an outdoor theatre under a grand. I will also use this in my bedroom when not using it outdoors. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

As long as it works from a throw ratio perspective, should be a good choice... I prefer longer throw PJs outdoors to get the PJ behind and above the viewers (often kids in my back yard... The further out of the way the better).

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 10154 Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my W1080ST arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait for the sound system so its hanging up and running. Pic is bright in even the brightest conditions. Looks great too without any calibration. Don't have any glasses so I have no comment on 3D. So far I couldn't be happier. Now I just need some good sound.

I'm pairing this guy up with an Onkyo TX-NR616 with Energy Take 5.0, a pair Energy CB-10 and 2 Energy ESW-C8 subs... As far as glasses I'm going with SainSonic SSZ-200DLB...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

post #2793 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

Re
Really? So projectors have no need for Color and tint controls?

Technically, Airscapes is correct, of course this was also supposed to have been the case with analog component connections. But, both cases assume that the manufacturer setup the color decoder correctly at the factory. Unfortunately, "theory" ran smack into the wall of reality. The good news is that apparently the W1070 has a fully functional CMS which trumps a basic color/tint control, anyway.
post #2794 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Technically, Airscapes is correct, of course this was also supposed to have been the case with analog component connections. But, both cases assume that the manufacturer setup the color decoder correctly at the factory. Unfortunately, "theory" ran smack into the wall of reality. The good news is that apparently the W1070 has a fully functional CMS which trumps a basic color/tint control, anyway.
So this projectors Color and tint controls are greyed out for HDMI? If so, that's great!

post #2795 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM

Hello to everyone. This my first post just registered. First all excuse me for my english is not so good. I'm Italian. I want to ask you a question: I and my family see a lot of Rainbow effect, we can distinctly see the 3 colors red, green, yellow during the vision of blu-ray and even when there is no source video: with black screen and the white written in the botton right "no source video" , moving eyes or closing them, we can see rainbow effect just over the white written. It quite impossible to see film.
Is it "normal" or maybe I had a faulty vpr? it may be that a defective vpr can give a strong rainbow effect like we see? thanks to everyone can want me.
post #2796 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 AM

Hello to everyone, please excuse my english is not so good, I'm Italian. I have a question: I and my family see a lot of rainbow effect during the vision of films in blu-ray but even when there is no video source, for exaple just on the white written " no video source" in the bottom right with black screen, when there is no souce attached on the vpr. Is it "normal"? This strong Rainbow effect can be caused by a defective vpr?
Thanks to everyone who want help me
post #2797 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Maybe but for me I rather support a smaller company and one that takes the time to respond to all my emails.

I agree. Plus for me, Visual Apex is a local company (only about 15 miles away). I may even pick it up in person instead of shipping.
post #2798 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin joker View Post

Well my W1080ST arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait for the sound system so its hanging up and running. Pic is bright in even the brightest conditions. Looks great too without any calibration. Don't have any glasses so I have no comment on 3D. So far I couldn't be happier. Now I just need some good sound.

I'm pairing this guy up with an Onkyo TX-NR616 with Energy Take 5.0, a pair Energy CB-10 and 2 Energy ESW-C8 subs... As far as glasses I'm going with SainSonic SSZ-200DLB...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

We were considering the W1080ST also, however. . . after seeing a review saying the edge to edge focus wasn't so good, and reading reviews on other BenQ short throw projectors with the same issue, and the price drop on the W1070, we decided to go with the W1070, though it has its own issues.

Just curious if you have noticed any focus issues on the W1080ST from edge-to-edge.

thanks!
post #2799 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

oh I guess thats part Im loosing you at, for the most part I have the Onkyo 616, well I have the Home Theater in a box 990 or something like that but its pretty much the 616, so when you say HDMI 4, do you mean as an output? my AVR only have one HDMI output and all the other HDMI inputs are labeled as Sat, Game, and so on so do you mean like HDMI input number 4 if we were counting from left to right? or do you mean the forth HDMI in the link is your output to the projector? Could you take a picture of the back of your AVR might help figure out a few things.

Chaves have one HDMI 4 going out from receiver to the projector, and one hdmi 3 cable from Play station 3 to receiver input, and another from cable box to receiver.in. Perhaps the PS3 going to the receiver should be a HDMI 4??????

Ralph
post #2800 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems Visua lApex wont take international credit cards! Oh boy!
post #2801 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Apologies, but no we cannot accept International Credit Cards. We can however accept payment through Amazon Checkout, as well as through a wire transfer of funds, or even Paypal if the account can have a confirmed U.S. address.
Again, apologies for any inconveniences.
Thank You

post #2802 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Chaves have one HDMI 4 going out from receiver to the projector, and one hdmi 3 cable from Play station 3 to receiver input, and another from cable box to receiver.in. Perhaps the PS3 going to the receiver should be a HDMI 4??????

Chaves asked if you are talking about numbered HDMI outputs on the receiver. I am thinking you are talking about HDMI cables. There is no such thing as a HDMI 4 or HDMI 3 type cable there is regular HDMI and High Speed HDMI then ethernet can be added to either. For 3D Bluray play back you need HDMI Highspeed. To save money just play a 3D Bluray and if it works you are golden. If not then buy a high speed HDMI cable.

HDMI 1.4a and HDMI 1.3 etc are device compliant only, meaning the chip in the device meets those standards. As you likely learned 3D Blurays are in the HDMI 1.4a standards so if using a device like a receiver is HDMI 1.3a it will likely not work for a intention like 3D Bluray code as it wasn't part of the 1.3 standard.
post #2803 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Chaves asked if you are talking about numbered HDMI outputs on the receiver. I am thinking you are talking about HDMI cables. There is no such thing as a HDMI 4 or HDMI 3 type cable there is regular HDMI and High Speed HDMI then ethernet can be added to either. For 3D Bluray play back you need HDMI Highspeed. To save money just play a 3D Bluray and if it works you are golden. If not then buy a high speed HDMI cable.

HDMI 1.4a and HDMI 1.3 etc are device compliant only, meaning the chip in the device meets those standards. As you likely learned 3D Blurays are in the HDMI 1.4a standards so if using a device like a receiver is HDMI 1.3a it will likely not work for a intention like 3D Bluray code as it wasn't part of the 1.3 standard.

Thanks for the reply:

Ran the PS3 directly to the PJ with a 1.4 cable no problem seen the 3D movie, but having problems with my Onkyo Tx-NR515 and nothing so wondering if I need to run a 1.4 cable from my PS3 to the receiver???? It seems that I do need one?

Ralph
post #2804 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the reply:

Ran the PS3 directly to the PJ with a 1.4 cable no problem seen the 3D movie, but having problems with my Onkyo Tx-NR515 and nothing so wondering if I need to run a 1.4 cable from my PS3 to the receiver???? It seems that I do need one?

Well your reciever is HDMI 1.4a compliant so good there. Need to get a High Speed HDMI cable and you should be set, again no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 spec cable.
What length are you using/needing? After 25 ft they are out of spec but there are a few that do work.
post #2805 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

My 1.4 to the PJ is 25 feet . just bought at BB another 1.4 cable for the PS3 to the receiver.

Ralph
post #2806 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

My 1.4 to the PJ is 25 feet . just bought at BB another 1.4 cable for the PS3 to the receiver.

yeah just make sure that all your hdmi cables are hi-speed even if you dont need one that supports 3d, the price difference is very little and at least this way you know it will work.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #2807 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Liked: 23
Wow! I can't believe how active this thread is . . . for a projector that was just introduced in Oct., this thread is rockin' at 96 pages!

To help celebrate the success of this thread (and the great W1070) BenQ, or one of the major projector suppliers, should do a W1070 give-away - that's right . . . a brand new BenQ W1070 to the lucky individual who ends making the FIST post to page 100!!!! smile.gif Wishful thinking, I guess.

Anyway, it's great to read all of the comments, ideas and suggestions folks have relating to the W1070.

Ian
post #2808 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

yeah just make sure that all your hdmi cables are hi-speed even if you dont need one that supports 3d, the price difference is very little and at least this way you know it will work.

Hello Daniel, The post #2833 was replied to your post but I think I messed it up, so it did not post as a reply. Anyway, I have a sloped ceiling and what are your thoughts on

http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-CGUPM12-S-Universal-Projector/dp/B00067OOHC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1362096043&sr=8-13&keywords=vaulted+ceiling+projector

or the Sanus

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMPR1-Swivel-Ceiling-Projector/dp/B000AM0WB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362096070&sr=1-1&keywords=sanus+projector+mount

Thanks
post #2809 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailakfan View Post

Hello Daniel, The post #2833 was replied to your post but I think I messed it up, so it did not post as a reply. Anyway, I have a sloped ceiling and what are your thoughts on

http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-CGUPM12-S-Universal-Projector/dp/B00067OOHC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1362096043&sr=8-13&keywords=vaulted+ceiling+projector

or the Sanus

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-VMPR1-Swivel-Ceiling-Projector/dp/B000AM0WB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362096070&sr=1-1&keywords=sanus+projector+mount

Thanks

Well Im not an expert in projector mounts, I just have read up on a lot of them and took opinions from other forums members but if I had to say between the two I would go for the Sanus, mainly because as nice as it is to have an articulated arm on the Vantage for complete flexibility in placement those type of joints that you tighten down with a hex wrench always tend to loosen over time and you will find your self out of alignment and have to climb back up to try and fix it.

But I would see what some of the other members have to say that have used various mounts and see what they think and recommend.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #2810 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Well Im not an expert in projector mounts, I just have read up on a lot of them and took opinions from other forums members but if I had to say between the two I would go for the Sanus, mainly because as nice as it is to have an articulated arm on the Vantage for complete flexibility in placement those type of joints that you tighten down with a hex wrench always tend to loosen over time and you will find your self out of alignment and have to climb back up to try and fix it.

But I would see what some of the other members have to say that have used various mounts and see what they think and recommend.

Thanks for the quick reply Daniel and will keep you updated. I am also waiting for the price drop just like you on the pj, so goodluck.
post #2811 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Wow! I can't believe how active this thread is . . . for a projector that was just introduced in Oct., this thread is rockin' at 96 pages!

To help celebrate the success of this thread (and the great W1070) BenQ, or one of the major projector suppliers, should do a W1070 give-away - that's right . . . a brand new BenQ W1070 to the lucky individual who ends making the FIST post to page 100!!!! smile.gif Wishful thinking, I guess.

Anyway, it's great to read all of the comments, ideas and suggestions folks have relating to the W1070.

Ian

Oh man, I wish... Right now I'd take a w1070 for $899 though!!! LOL

Currently using a 113" 1.4 Black Diamond Fixed screen, BenQ w1070, Full 7.0 JBL speaker setup, Klipsch Reference RW-12d Subwoofer, Yamaha RX-V671 Receiver
post #2812 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropMonk View Post

Oh man, I wish... Right now I'd take a w1070 for $899 though!!! LOL

Me too. I want to support smaller companies than Amazon and if any dealer is watching this thread could offer a group buy and I am pretty sure it will benefit both parties. Just a thought. I saw Visualplex's post before and would love to buy from them.
post #2813 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A few years back a member that went by the name monkeeman nor monkeyman had put together a home made projector mount with Plexiglas and so far have used it on 4 different PJ, it cost less then $15.on my first PJ since then still using it just drilling different holes to accommodate the current projector. will try to locate it..

Ralph
post #2814 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Think that is the receiver it shows ONKYO for a split second on my screen then zip. and unable to use the receiver wizard to set it up since unable to get a picture,.or it could just be me, lol.

Ralph
post #2815 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Well I was able to mount my new Benq W1070 last night and spent a few hours evaluating the image quality (albeit with out of the box settings). Will post a more detailed comparison between the Acer H9500BD and the benq once I've spent a bit more time with the latter. Here is a brief run-down of what I've noticed so far:

Noise: running on eco or smart eco mode it is quieter than the Acer and to my ears similar to the Mits HC4000. Pretty much a non-issue for me.
Brightness: Well bright on a 110" neutral gain screen, quite a bit brighter than the Acer for sure
Black levels: A step down from the Acer, similar to the mits.
Colour: Just out of the box definitely better than the Acer, especially noticeable in skin tones.

One thing I've noticed is a little bit of flicker in the image - may just be the bulb wearing in, but has anybody else noticed this?
post #2816 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

One thing I've noticed is a little bit of flicker in the image - may just be the bulb wearing in, but has anybody else noticed this?

Hit the info button on your remote to see what firmware version you are running. If you are running f/w version 1.03, this is likely the cause of the flicker. If you have firmware v. 1.04, then the flicker is likely due to some other cause.

BenQ replaced my first unit due to the flicker . . . they couldn't tell me on the phone whether the flicker might be putting stress on the lamp or not . . . so . . . they shipped me a new unit in exchange (instead of shipping mine back for a f/w update) for the one running 1.03. Everything with firmware 1.04 seems stable and good!

Ian
post #2817 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Pretty much right.

There is a such thing as an HDMI 1.3 cable. They changed it to just Standard with or without Ethernet and Hi-speed with or without Ethernet for 1.4. You are right on the money with pretty much everything else though.

post #2818 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ìf I find it anywhere from 1k and below accepting my foreign credit card I'll be taking it, no need for giveaways! lol

Although the W1080st is a lot cooler for me, making it to my deadline which is the 12th is pretty much impossible. Tough break...
post #2819 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply zapper.
post #2820 of 10154 Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68