BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 10167 Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in too! Hi all. Ordered yesterday at 2:30 from Amazon and it arrived this morning by 11:30 with the 1.04 firmware. I have been following this thread almost from the beginning, and the Viewsonic 8200 thread before that. Seems as though I "know" some of you all. I graduated today from my first PJ an Epson 710 HD I bought last June. I loved that little Epson; saying the 1070 is a leap forward is a massive understatement! I have thoroughly enjoyed the suggestions and positive feedback from all the of participants here, especially the thoughtful, reasoned explanations and suggestions offered by Coderguy. I have only been setup a couple of hours on a small table about 12' from my wall , so the only feedback I can offer at the moment is that fan noise seems a non-issue for me with audio through a Yamaha receiver, and the image quality is, of course, stunning. Looking forward to a great viewing experience and learning along with the rest of you.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 10167 Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Liked: 12
A good ways upthread I talked about an issue I was having with my glasses losing sync on my second replacement projector. Did a little more testing, and I'm now finally pretty tickled about this PJ. On a hunch I replaced my second-generation PS3 with a new dedicated blu-ray player that I picked up on sale. My sync drop-outs went from one every 10 minutes to one per 1.5 movies (so far that's all I've watched). Problem solved! So for anyone having issues using a old PS3: it's definitely sub-optimal for 3D. Replacing it makes a world of difference. I can now unequivocally say that this projector is the best value out there. Yippee!
post #2883 of 10167 Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmermccurdy View Post

A good ways upthread I talked about an issue I was having with my glasses losing sync on my second replacement projector. Did a little more testing, and I'm now finally pretty tickled about this PJ. On a hunch I replaced my second-generation PS3 with a new dedicated blu-ray player that I picked up on sale. My sync drop-outs went from one every 10 minutes to one per 1.5 movies (so far that's all I've watched). Problem solved! So for anyone having issues using a old PS3: it's definitely sub-optimal for 3D. Replacing it makes a world of difference. I can now unequivocally say that this projector is the best value out there. Yippee!

Glad to hear that you solved your issue, I also have a old PS3 40GB and trying to find out what needs to changed on it to be able to see the 3D, it has the latest upgrade, hope that do not have to buy a new 3D player..

Ralph
post #2884 of 10167 Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Glad to hear that you solved your issue, I also have a old PS3 40GB and trying to find out what needs to changed on it to be able to see the 3D, it has the latest upgrade, hope that do not have to buy a new 3D player..

Here's all you need to do to enable 3D if it isn't enabled already: http://www.gamersworldbd.com/2010/11/how-to-enable-3d-display-on-your-ps3.html

I'll be interested to hear whether you have the same frequent flickers and sync dropouts I had. I think we have the same model PS3.
post #2885 of 10167 Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 10
I have been watching this thread for some time now and finally decided to order one of these projectors as well. I just purchased my first home and have a basement that I plan to set up a home theater in but I am really inexperienced with all this. What is the best type of screen to buy for this projector? Light in the basement won't be an issue and I want it took look as good as possible for 3D playback. I know that screens can be really expensive and I'm trying to cut costs in any way I can as well.. is there a DIY option that would work with this projector? I looked at the DIY forum a bit but it's confusing as to which type goes with which type of projector.. Thanks in advance for any help! I hope to one day be as experienced as everyone is here!

EDIT: I should add that I also am planning on at least 120 inches, but I certainly have the space to go bigger if this projector can handle a bigger image in 3D and it still look good. Would a 150inch screen still look great in 3D?
post #2886 of 10167 Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk4387 View Post

I have been watching this thread for some time now and finally decided to order one of these projectors as well. I just purchased my first home and have a basement that I plan to set up a home theater in but I am really inexperienced with all this. What is the best type of screen to buy for this projector? Light in the basement won't be an issue and I want it took look as good as possible for 3D playback. I know that screens can be really expensive and I'm trying to cut costs in any way I can as well.. is there a DIY option that would work with this projector? I looked at the DIY forum a bit but it's confusing as to which type goes with which type of projector.. Thanks in advance for any help! I hope to one day be as experienced as everyone is here!

EDIT: I should add that I also am planning on at least 120 inches, but I certainly have the space to go bigger if this projector can handle a bigger image in 3D and it still look good. Would a 150inch screen still look great in 3D?

with 3d I have found that bigger is better assuming the projector can handle the larger screen and not loose to much brightness and so forth

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #2887 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

Also since I've started to use smart eco I've noticed an improvement in black levels, to the point where I'd say they now come very close to the Acer H9500BD.

This is so great to hear from your finding out about the black level vs 9500BD..
Can you review out your point of view about the 3D depth, and experience between these 2 guys?
post #2888 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

My screen is a bout 7-8 inches from ceiling so I need a mount that is very flush to ceiling.

What's the drop from ceiling to center of lens for this Peerless mount?

Exactly 6" ceiling to lens center point when mounted with out the pipe.
post #2889 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk4387 View Post

If you are looking for screen material I suggest this Ebay source. This material is great and works with 3D with no problem. I bought this material and I am more than pleased. The seller has it in many sizes. I would also be careful about using some of the other stuff being sold since it is not real screen material. I would think that 150 inch would only work in a totally darkened room. Be sure to use the projector calculator and I would suggest using Black velvet tape and Black velvet around the front of the screen for masking.

I am posting a link for the 120 inch screen but it is available in many sizes. I know they also have 140 inch screen material available. I would also suggest the white mat 1.0 material to avoid hot spotting. The seller also has 100% positive feedback for good reason. I am also sure that there might be better screens available but not in this price range. Screens can often cost twice the cost of the projector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-PROFESSIONAL-BLU-RAY-QUALITY-1080P-MOVIE-PROJECTOR-PROJECTION-SCREEN-FABRIC-/300748888548?pt=US_Projection_Screens_Material&hash=item460607d9e4
post #2890 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reviews were great so I jumped.

Seriously considered the Mustang too.

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Profile-Projector-Mount-MV-PROJSP-FLAT-B/dp/B000F5NFTS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362271598&sr=1-1&keywords=mustang+ceiling+mount

Peerless seemed more of a no brainer based on reviews, even if it costs twice as much. I also wanted to get a mount that looked good aesthetically and kept the projector as close to the ceiling as possible. It's going in my living room as my main display and didn't want it to be an eyesore. Wife is already giving me flak lol.

I bought the Mustang mount which works great with this projector. It includes all the bolts and parts you need. I am also sure that the Pearless might be a little better but I wonder if it worth more than twice the price.
post #2891 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 AM

Hi,

eastporters.com told me this about the W1070 :

No we do not, as they are terrible projectors as far as black levels, colour accuracy, as well as having very large rainbow effects. That’s why, while choosing to Carry the respectable W7000, we do not carry the W1070. I would consider looking at something a little more expensive but much better, like the Panasonic AR100, or the Epson 8350 (the 8350 we only sell with screens).

I found it weird because I haven't seen any review saying this about the W1070...

Any input on actual owners ?

Thanks !
post #2892 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noalkain View Post

Hi,

No we do not, as they are terrible projectors as far as black levels, colour accuracy, as well as having very large rainbow effects. That’s why, while choosing to Carry the respectable W7000, we do not carry the W1070. I would consider looking at something a little more expensive but much better, like the Panasonic AR100, or the Epson 8350 (the 8350 we only sell with screens).

I found it weird because I haven't seen any review saying this about the W1070...

Thanks !
That's funny and not true. The W1070 is a very good projector.
post #2893 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

That's funny and not true. The W1070 is a very good projector.

More false information from sellers than know nothing about projectors. I see false information being given all the time. Buyer beware, knowledge helps. That is the reason why this forum is important.

The blacks on both the 7000 and 1070 should be similar. They will not be what you get with a $3,000 JVC LCOS projector but the blacks will be as good or better than what you will see in nearly any movie theater.
post #2894 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If you are looking for screen material I suggest this Ebay source. This material is great and works with 3D with no problem. I bought this material and I am more than pleased. The seller has it in many sizes. I would also be careful about using some of the other stuff being sold since it is not real screen material. I would think that 150 inch would only work in a totally darkened room. Be sure to use the projector calculator and I would suggest using Black velvet tape and Black velvet around the front of the screen for masking.

I am posting a link for the 120 inch screen but it is available in many sizes. I know they also have 140 inch screen material available. I would also suggest the white mat 1.0 material to avoid hot spotting. The seller also has 100% positive feedback for good reason. I am also sure that there might be better screens available but not in this price range. Screens can often cost twice the cost of the projector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-PROFESSIONAL-BLU-RAY-QUALITY-1080P-MOVIE-PROJECTOR-PROJECTION-SCREEN-FABRIC-/300748888548?pt=US_Projection_Screens_Material&hash=item460607d9e4

This look interesting. Can you share details on the frame building? Was it easy/cheap to do? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks
post #2895 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM

Hello I am first timer here, but I would like to ask you, If some of you have the same problem as me. When I play tv shows on this projector ( like Arrow or Walking Dead) the image judders every few minutes and it doesnt matter if its a fast action scene or a conversation scene, it happens during the whole episode. I tried different releaeses but still the same. When I play mkv format from bluray movie, everything is fine and no problem, but tv series judder. Before I bought thi projector I had a Panasonic plasma TV and I didnt notice this problem. I am still using the same media player (VLC), so dont know where might be the problem. Do you have any idea? Thanks for any help
post #2896 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 AM

great thread !

couldn't figure out which ND filter is best for the projectorX2 or X4 for 1.0 gain screen / white wall
can someone shed some light on this matter?
which diameter do i need, i saw someone wrote 67mm. is that correct?

the problem is that on 3D no filter is needed only for 2D pic.
so when watching 3D you need to remove the filter frown.gif
but still the 2D pic is required a filter. the pic is too bright and distorted even on Eco mode & 2.2-2.6 Gamma
post #2897 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmermccurdy View Post

Here's all you need to do to enable 3D if it isn't enabled already: http://www.gamersworldbd.com/2010/11/how-to-enable-3d-display-on-your-ps3.html

I'll be interested to hear whether you have the same frequent flickers and sync dropouts I had. I think we have the same model PS3.

Thanks for the info.

Ralph
post #2898 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitten View Post

Hello I am first timer here, but I would like to ask you, If some of you have the same problem as me. When I play tv shows on this projector ( like Arrow or Walking Dead) the image judders every few minutes and it doesnt matter if its a fast action scene or a conversation scene, it happens during the whole episode. I tried different releaeses but still the same. When I play mkv format from bluray movie, everything is fine and no problem, but tv series judder. Before I bought thi projector I had a Panasonic plasma TV and I didnt notice this problem. I am still using the same media player (VLC), so dont know where might be the problem. Do you have any idea? Thanks for any help

i understand you are using HTPC. try to set the resolution of the HTPC to the same as the video. i set it to 1080i because of the 3D (SBS works only on1080i ).
i would check if Deinterlace is on by default on the VLC, set it off. right click-> Video->deinterlace->off
also i would disable the overscan (3d Tab on the menu) and try to cancel the Brilliant Color.
try different player such as pot player
post #2899 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks !

Yeah, they're giving you a line of utter nonsense. The picture on this projector is stunning, the colors are dead accurate, and the RBE is much less than other single-chip DLP projectors I've seen. I'm not sure where the talk of mediocre black levels comes from even in this thread -- in real use with moving images, the blacks look black. Ignore whoever told you this, and go for a w1070!
post #2900 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks !

I think it is something about profit margin. Every seller on interent sells W7000, which does not worth its price from the short time I had it. I think W1070 has a better picture and value. I am watching soccer in HD, it is almost like being there in the stadium, skin tones and colors are very impressive.
post #2901 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

More false information from sellers than know nothing about projectors. I see false information being given all the time. Buyer beware, knowledge helps. That is the reason why this forum is important.

The blacks on both the 7000 and 1070 should be similar. They will not be what you get with a $3,000 JVC LCOS projector but the blacks will be as good or better than what you will see in nearly any movie theater.

I think it all depends on your frame of reference. Compared to my RS45, yeah I would say the black level on my 7000 is not great and clearly lacking. There is a significant difference between the two, but without that frame of reference I am sure most would find the black level OK on these BenQ units.

As far as color goes, my 7000 looks a bit off and definitely needs a calibration which I am going to do here at some point since I have the gear. It is certainly not "horrible" though by any means.

RBE............I literally have not seen one rainbow yet in the ~100 hours of use on my 7000. I know this will vary depending on the individual, but this has been a complete and total non issue for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2902 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

This look interesting. Can you share details on the frame building? Was it easy/cheap to do? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks

Frame building is easy. Directions are included with the material. You can pick up the material at your local lumber yard or Home Depot. I would following the suggestion of using soft wood so the staples can go into the frame you build.
I also used black velvet fabric from a local fabric store. If you need more info. check out the DIY screen forum.
post #2903 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Frame building is easy. Directions are included with the material. You can pick up the material at your local lumber yard or Home Depot. I would following the suggestion of using soft wood so the staples can go into the frame you build.
I also used black velvet fabric from a local fabric store. If you need more info. check out the DIY screen forum.

Thanks, I have built a few screens so I am familiar with DIY. I am curious if the fabric need stretching, and if it's thin enough to fit in the screen tight grooves.
post #2904 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I think it all depends on your frame of reference. Compared to my RS45, yeah I would say the black level on my 7000 is not great and clearly lacking. There is a significant difference between the two, but without that frame of reference I am sure most would find the black level OK on these BenQ units.

As far as color goes, my 7000 looks a bit off and definitely needs a calibration which I am going to do here at some point since I have the gear. It is certainly not "horrible" though by any means.

RBE............I literally have not seen one rainbow yet in the ~100 hours of use on my 7000. I know this will vary depending on the individual, but this has been a complete and total non issue for me.

I agree it does depend on your frame of reference. I agree that there are always trade offs. I love my JVC for dark movies and for the blacks. The 1070 is great for 3d and most other viewing. I think that most buyers would be extremely happy with the 1070.
post #2905 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you guys experiencing that every time that you start the PJ that the screen or monitor is out of focus????? read in another post about another Pj that if we wait 5 minutes or so then correct the focus and next time that you start her up no focus issue?????

Ralph
post #2906 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Are you guys experiencing that every time that you start the PJ that the screen or monitor is out of focus????? read in another post about another Pj that if we wait 5 minutes or so then correct the focus and next time that you start her up no focus issue?????

Nope. Are you using the lens cap? I do notice that taking the lens cap on/off will disturb the focus.
post #2907 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks !

Hmmm . . . I am really disgusted by the comments you were offered by Eastporters. I've said this before here, but i like the overall image quality of this W1070 over my much more costly Epson 5010. Their comments about "large rainbow effect" . . . and "terrivle black levels and colour accuracy", etc. is a complete lie (in my opinion).

Please look at the following Epson.ca link, http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H501020-F&BV_UseBVCookie=yes. It's a link to the Epson Canada page for the current Epson 3020. Scroll down to just below the pic of the projector and read the "Notice to Customers". Here you will learn something about how Eastporters appears to do business . . . this warning appears on ALL of the Epson projector pages.

If Epson Canada has taken it upon themselves to have to "warn" customers about buying Epson gray or black market from Eastporters - potentially leaving the purchaser with NO WARRANTY . . . then I would hardly consider ANYTHING Eastporters has to say about the quality OF ANY PROJECTOR. It's clear that they are representing stuff they get through questionable channels. My first guess is that they are slagging the W1070 since a) there is likely no real profit margin in such a low-cost projector . . . and b) they haven't been able to source it cheaply enough for them to want to sell it. It's easy for someone who doesn't have motivation to sell something to say bad things about it.

I consider their advice to you completely dishonest . . . especially since the unit looks amazing - even when comparing it to projectors costing much more. I suggest that they recommend you buy the the projectors they recommend to you because it's advice that benefits them . . . and not you, the consumer.

Lastly . . . I see that if you buy the Epson 8350 you HAVE TO BUY A SCREEN FROM THEM!!!??? I've seen them do this with other units too, where they say you have to buy the screen with the projector since the projector model is in "limited supply" . . . yeah, right . . . I've been out to their brick-and-mortar store - and it seems that screens is their primary business - although they sell both.

I love the W1070. It burns me to see those who should know better give biased advice . . . yes, asking you to spend more to get a higher priced projector seems biased to me . . . there are good entry level units on the market that fill a need. It's up to you, NOT A DEALER, to tell you that you should "consider spending more".

If Epson has to warn people about buying their product through Eastporters, I'd definitely want to check with any manufacturer first before buying a projector from Eastports. It all seems a bit too risky to me.

Hope this helps.

Ian
TropMonk likes this.
post #2908 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenc View Post

Nope. Are you using the lens cap? I do notice that taking the lens cap on/off will disturb the focus.

LOL!

Jack
post #2909 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes using the lens cap protecting the lens from dust, oh well come on dust but isn't the focus wheel below the lens thus not touching the lens cap???????

Ralph
post #2910 of 10167 Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

That is a big problem with the W1070. It's impossible (for me anyway) to take off the lens cap and replace it without changing the focus - even if only slightly.

I found a solution that is working perfectly for me. Instead of using the lens cap, I cut a a round "cap" from a cardboard cereal box (using a small can as a template) to make a cover for the entire lens housing area. I used a bit of tape to make a "tab" to be able to easily pull this cap from the recess it's "sitting" in. Works great! This way to lens barrel isn't touched ever - so the focus won't change on me.

Another benefit . . . this is better protection from dust since, even with the provided lens cap in place, there is open air around the lens. The "cardboard" cap I made not only protects the lens - but should keep dust from entering the projector from around the lens barrel.

Ian
Tommy Mang likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page