Home Theater for Man Cave - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am starting to built out the home theater in my man cave. The room is about 1,250 sq. ft. and will be multi-purposed as it will have some gym equipment, pool table/ping pong table, and the home theater area. The room is completely finished with carpet and ceilings and is not prewired. Here's a few pictures of the current owner's setup to give you a good idea of where the home theater will go: http://www.shawnaugust.com/imageviewer.aspx?FolderPath=/PICS/HOME/Oakland/Man_Cave

The theater portion of the room will have limited usage as we already have a full theater system upstairs (52" 1080P/120HZ LCD/Polk 5.1 w/ powered sub/HTPC/etc.). It will only be used during the weekend when we have friends over or for movies, sporting events, WII marathon, etc. It is hard to justify a huge expense so I am going for bang-for-buck. I am currently building out a small form factor HTPC (1080P/HD audio/Internet/etc.) so I do not need a smart TV. A few options/issues to consider:

1) Upgrade the upstairs components (we use this space more) and use those current components in the man cave

2) Buy new components for the man cave (52-55" LCD/LED or projector for ~$1,200) and a mid-high HTIB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120201).

3) Projector vs. HDTV. 1080p projectors appear to cost similiar or more than the TV. I am not sure the space warrants a projector as I wouldn't be able take advantage of the bigger screen size.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
If you can get up to a 90" or above screen size, and get a pj in your price that can deal with some ambient light? Might be worth looking into. The new Epson 3020 will be bright enough, but might lack behind some dlp's for gaming lag The viewsonic pro8200 which is almost as bright, (no 3d) and less than $800 might work. Check the placement requirements you'll be dealing with using a pj calculator. See if any of these might fit the bill here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks
post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

If you can get up to a 90" or above screen size, and get a pj in your price that can deal with some ambient light? Might be worth looking into. The new Epson 3020 will be bright enough, but might lack behind some dlp's for gaming lag The viewsonic pro8200 which is almost as bright, (no 3d) and less than $800 might work. Check the placement requirements you'll be dealing with using a pj calculator. See if any of these might fit the bill here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

I have no need for gaming. I am not sure if you can compare but I am looking for the equiv of a 52-55" 1080P/120HZ LCD TV for $1200 or so. If I can get the equiv in a projector, it would be a consideration as I'd get a bigger screen size.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If this is a secondary viewing room with less time spent you could upgrade upstairs and use the old stuff downstairs. Of if you want a "true" theater go with a nice Mits HC-4000 or the newer replacement for about 12-$1500 and a 120" screen. You can even use the Wilson Art laminate counter material for a home made screen and it will cost very little and works great in that set up... a friend of mine has it and when the projector is positioned correctly there is no hot spotting.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

If this is a secondary viewing room with less time spent you could upgrade upstairs and use the old stuff downstairs. Of if you want a "true" theater go with a nice Mits HC-4000 or the newer replacement for about 12-$1500 and a 120" screen. You can even use the Wilson Art laminate counter material for a home made screen and it will cost very little and works great in that set up... a friend of mine has it and when the projector is positioned correctly there is no hot spotting.

I just upgraded the upstairs to Denon 2112CI and Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1. The TV wasn't upgraded so I COULD use that. However, wife is big on not going much bigger than 52" in the main living space. I won't downgrade so the new TV (bigger than 52") might have to go downstairs.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page