Free 110" screen, now what? projector on a budget? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for my son's birthday we did an outdoor movie watching party. i rented some big speakers, projector, etc and let all the kids watch movies outside. They had a blast, was a good idea.

Now I couldnt rent a screen from this rental place big enough, so i got this 110" screen from the store using a gift card that was given to me. My intentions were to just use it for the night, then return it. But here I am about a year later and completely forgot I even had this thing... lol, so much for returning it.

so now I have this 110" screen and dont know what to do with it. I was thinking of one of 2 things....

1. setting it up in garage (garage has window a/c installed, insulated, but not really finished out)... have been debating making this into a man's cave for a while now. But since there would still be alot to making this a room (flooring, walls, etc), surround sound, etc id be on a budget.

2. try and talk wife into letting me put in living room. this option might not be that realistic as shes into decorating and probably wouldnt fly. but looking online, i have found some pics of pretty nice looking setups of a screen in a living room believe it or not. if i go this route, id save some money on surround sound, etc... and would only need the projector. maybe a nice way to mount it... maybe a way to hide it when retracted and look like its not there and its just a room, then when want to watch it, pull it down?

but my question is, my living room is pretty long, but not quite as wide. Id say we probably onl be sitting about 15 feet from the screen max. would 110" be too big?

and lastly, what is a good budget projector that would work well for me? my room isnt real bright and could always close curtains if i had to... but i know i would want 1080p, at least i think so... im sure at this size, 720p vs. 1080p is quite noticeable.

what are your suggestions on a good model? maybe something i can get off craigslist, ebay, etc for cheaper, possibly used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

i could see our living room ending up looking something like one of these.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Look into the viewsonic pro8200, its well priced, at less than $800 with a good warranty. It'd be well suited for the "man cave". It's dlp so if "rainbows" bother you, nvm. There is some limitation on placement with this pj as well. 110" diagonal, placed at 13' 6" from the screen, it would need to be mounted 18.5 in., above the screen. The review, http://www.projectorreviews.com/viewsonic/pro8200/
post #4 of 9 Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 PM

If you don't care about 3D, this one is great bang for the buck... Referb, but carries the full two year warranty, and epson service is generally good if there do happen to be issues.

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=Home-Cinema-8350-R

Here is a review...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8350_projector_review.htm

If you want decent 3D and 1080p, you're going to need to spend more... on the projector, the 3D glasses, the 3D blueray player, receiver, etc... The kids would love it though!

Conrad
post #5 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys, thats exactly what I was looking for... after reading a ton of reviews on these 2 models, it appears these are probably the best and most popular entry level 1080p projectors out right now...

that being said, it looks like I will end up setting up the garage as a full mans cave / movie room. So there will be absolutely no ambient light at all. But I will want it to be able to still look good when stretched out to 110", which of these 2 models would you guys think would be best for me?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 AM

read reviews on mitsubishi hc4000 its the best cheaper projecter and very good for home theater much better blacks most average people say it looks as good as the 3000 dollar jvc and sony projecters at 1100 bucks but if thats too much the viewsonic is probably the next best projecter im looking at both right now and it will be one of those 2 they are short throw and thats what i need thell go as short as 12 feet from a 120 inch screen but can go much further back if needed good luck ive had a projecter for years and my daughters love it 120 inch screen in living room 12 feet from couch and looks great and only a 1024 x 768 resolution cant wait for 1080p pull chair up close just for fun lol
post #7 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 AM

ps if your handy you can build a soffet at the cieling and leave a slit on bottom and screen could come down that way only thing is the projector will be exposed unless you box that in too
post #8 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you mentioned "used", http://www.avsforum.com/f/218/display-devices
JVC RS-1 for $900 with a mount listed there. Always some risk with used, but 3 yrs ago it was almost $5000. The lamps might be a little pricey though.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Since you mentioned "used", http://www.avsforum.com/f/218/display-devices
JVC RS-1 for $900 with a mount listed there. Always some risk with used, but 3 yrs ago it was almost $5000. The lamps might be a little pricey though.

NVM, I see your looking for around $500 in a different thread. GL
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page