Wanting to upgrade Epson 8100. Is the Epson 8700UB-R the best LCD choice for $1500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently own a Epson 8100 and would like to upgrade to something that has better contrast. I would like to stay with a LCD since my projector isn't centered with the screen and I'm one of the lucky ones that sees the rainbows. My screen is 106" and the room is completely light controlled. I was thinking of the 8700 because of what I've heard about the blacks it produces. I'm sure some have slightly better contrast than my 8100 but I'm looking for something that will be a big improvement not just a slight one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You might want to check out the DIY Screens thread. You could probably improve the perceived contrast dramatically for only a couple hundred dollars and save the rest to upgrade to a decent led projector in the future, when the technology matures a little. I have an Epson 8100 with a spandex screen (silver over white) and the picture is excellent.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Draper Luma screen now. Not sure what the gain is on it.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

I currently own a Epson 8100 and would like to upgrade to something that has better contrast. I would like to stay with a LCD since my projector isn't centered with the screen and I'm one of the lucky ones that sees the rainbows. My screen is 106" and the room is completely light controlled. I was thinking of the 8700 because of what I've heard about the blacks it produces. I'm sure some have slightly better contrast than my 8100 but I'm looking for something that will be a big improvement not just a slight one.

While I don't have any experience with the 8100 I have just replaced my Epson Cinema Pro 810 (720p) with a refurbished 8700UB. I will just cut to the chase and state its significantly better in every way, brighter, more contrast, quieter by a noticeable margin, with exception color and detail out of the box in THX mode. I am currently using a Da-Lite Cinema Vision screen which I have never liked and will be changing that shortly to a HD Progressive JPK Infinity. The point is for $1500 this is a screaming good deal assuming no hiccups along the way, ie operational failures etc. I don't think you would regret this purchase and if not interested in 3D save the money compared to a 5020.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page