Projectors - complete Newbie question(s) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I got a lot of great advice last year when choosing a surround sound setup, so I thought that I would come back cap in hand with some questions about projectors biggrin.gif

i am looking to upgrade from 43" Samsung plasma to something bigger to give me a more 'immersive' movie experience. I had been looking at lower end 60" plasmas i.e. Panasonic UT50, but in stores, 60" still doesn't look that big, that lead me to the Mits 73" DLPs and then I started reading about projectors...I had always thought that the PQ wouldn't be as good as a plasma, but from what I am reading I may be wrong, plus the idea of a 96" screen has me drooling wink.gif

I am though having a hard time figuring out how I would set it all up, hence this question. i am renting a house and am currently sitting about 9' away from the TV and have more space behind the sofa, ceiling is 8'. I am thinking of a screen on a stand that I can roll away (will keep the tv for general viewing) and so I don't have to move my center speaker. I went onto the Benq site and was using their calculator thing and it says that the projector should be 1.5 feet off the floor on a table - now I don't figure I can put it on a table in front of me as that would mess up the viewing experience. Can I put it on a higher table behind me? Or would that mess up the projection angle? If I put it to the side of the sofa, wouldn't it be at too much of an offset angle for the screen? If the projector is higher, then does it have to be upside down, i.e. hanging from the ceiling (bear in mind that I am renting rolleyes.gif)

really sorry if these are stupid questions, but my only previous experience of projectors was old Cine projector of my Dad's when I was little showing Abbot & Costello movies in B&W!!

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 472
If the projector has a fixed projection angle (i.e., not straight ahead), you need to place it in a specific location below or above the screen.

If it projects straight ahead but has lens shift, you can place it off-center both vertically and horizontally (e.g., up to a combination of one image height above or below center and up to 50% image width to either side). This provides for a tremendous amount of placement flexibility (including a higher table behind and off to the side of your primary seating position).

If you mount it on the ceiling, it has to be upside down.

I noticed that AVS is currently selling B-stock JVC DLA-HD250s (LCOS projectors w/ lens shift) for ~$1,300. If the warranty's there, you should consider snagging one. I've had my DLA-HD250 for ~5 months and I'm still wowed by the PQ (colour, detail and black levels). And I continue to enjoy its other features, like motorized shift/focus/zoom, super-quiet operation, and intuitive menu system and remote.

Hope this helps. smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

It certainly does, thank you kindly smile.gif

would image height, essentially be the height of the screen?

So as I'm understanding it, the projector projects the image upwards at around an angle of 26° (based on calcs from Benq website) so if I put the projector on a table say 4' high instead of 1' 6" as recommended on the Benq website then the lens shift would compensate for the fact that the image would be off the screen otherwise as it would be projecting too high?
post #4 of 5 Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
It certainly does, thank you kindly smile.gif
Excellent... smile.gif
Quote:
would image height, essentially be the height of the screen?
Yes. So, using the above example (a PJ with 100% vertical lens shift): If you had a 90", 1.78:1 screen, the display area of that screen would be 44" high. You could place the projector so that the lens is aimed at a point up to 22" above the top (or below the bottom) of the screen and still be able to center the image on the screen.

(Note that maxing out the amount of shift is not necessarily desirable, and that that the range of shift would be reduced if you were also applying some horizontal shift.)
Quote:
So as I'm understanding it, the projector projects the image upwards at around an angle of 26° ... so if I put the projector on a table say 4' high instead of 1' 6" as recommended on the Benq website then the lens shift would compensate for the fact that the image would be off the screen otherwise as it would be projecting too high?
Unless I'm mistaken (and I have been known to be mistaken wink.gif):
- PJs with lens shift always projects straight ahead, perpendicular to the vertical surface in front of them. The lens shift lets you "re-locate" the image.
- For a PJ with a fixed "angled throw", placement of the PJ is determined by the location of the screen + the angle of projection (or, conversely, the location of the screen is determined by the placement of the PJ + the angle of projection), and cannot be modified.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Great, that makes it clear thanks very much again.

now off to research screens!! eek.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page