Possibly a dumb question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought a ViewSonic PRO8200 for my bedroom and this will be my first projector so I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I'm on www.projectorcentral.com site using their calculator to calculate throw etc. and for a 100" diagonal screen it says I need 49" x 87" which I will be using a sheet of Wilsonart Design White laminate. My question is, when I enter my desired info it gives me a throw of 12' 4" but also lists 10' 2 thru 15 '7. Does this mean I can mount this projector anywhere between these measurements to get my desired screen size and then just zoom in/out and focus it manually? Or do I HAVE to go by their 12' 4" measurement? I'm a bit confused on this part.

Side question, when I put in that I want 108" diagonal screen it says I should have a 53" x 94" area to project onto. Why? If I measure this 4x8 Wilsonart which is really 49 x 97 almost it measures close to 108" diagonal already so why am I getting 2 different measurements? All the help is appreciated and I apologize for hurting anyones head with such a dumb question but I'm just tyring to prepare for this since my projector should be here Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 599
The PJ's zoom range lets you throw a 100", 16:9 image (87" ÷ 49" = 1.78:1 = 16:9) from anywhere between 10'2" and 15'7".

So, as long as the front of the lens falls within that range, you just zoom in or out to have the image fill the screen.

53" x 94" is also a 1.78:1 (or 16:9) screen ratio. Your Wilsonart board, however, has a 94" ÷ 53" = 1.98:1 ratio.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 13
that calculator gives a lot of useful information ... the height/width for 16:9, the offset, which is the distance the lens is above (or below) the edge of the screen, and brightness estimates. the closer to the screen, the brighter as the lens is more "open". the 8200 on a white 100" will be a *very* bright image
post #4 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The Pro8200 is also listed in my calculator, and it will tell you a bit more. Also the numbers the Pro8200 is using in my calculator were actually measured by me instead of using generic MFR numbers.
www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Thanks.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

That calculator is a tremendous help, thank you! It's a lot easier seeing the measurements for the floor to screen height instead of trying to figure it out, thanks again!
post #6 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question, when it gives me the standard throw range, why does it even give me a measurement vs. just the range. Say it says 12'4 with a range between 11' and 17'. Is it more benifical for some reason to mount at that 12'4" measurement as opposed to anywhere else in the range? I know the closer you get the brighter the image would be right but is there anything else benifical for this?
post #7 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

One last thing, you calculator doesn't allow me to alter the screen and what I mean is that it doesn't let me dictate where on the wall the screen goes it just defaults to center of the wall. Your calculator is giving me these measurements for a 110" screen: -3"pole with 18.5" offset. This means that I have to actually recess the projector in my 8' cieling which isn't an option. Nothing is stopping me though from using an almost flush ceiling mount that has a 4" pole and add that in to the 18.5" offset that I need would give me 22.5" offset, am I doing this right? I am not too worried about the screen being perfectly dead center. I'm trying to decide between going with a 100" or 110" screen.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
... Is it more benifical for some reason to mount at that 12'4" measurement as opposed to anywhere else in the range?
I took a quick poke around the site and couldn't find anything to suggest that the 12'4" distance is an "optimal" one, so I would simply mount it at a distance, within the range, that works best for you.
Quote:
One last thing, you calculator doesn't allow me to ... dictate where on the wall the screen goes ...
It doesn't matter. Just calculate the distance from the ceiling to the mid-point of the lens (based on whatever mount you plan to use), add the offset (16.8" for the 100" screen, 18.5" for the 110" screen) and that's where the top of the screen (the viewing area, not the frame) should go.
bigwayne3000 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I took a quick poke around the site and couldn't find anything to suggest that the 12'4" distance is an "optimal" one, so I would simply mount it at a distance, within the range, that works best for you.
It doesn't matter. Just calculate the distance from the ceiling to the mid-point of the lens (based on whatever mount you plan to use), add the offset (16.8" for the 100" screen, 18.5" for the 110" screen) and that's where the top of the screen (the viewing area, not the frame) should go.

That's what I thought, thanks a lot for the help. I think what I will do is grab some cardboard at work and make a fake screen and do some measurements so that I can get things situated before I actually get the projector. Only thing I am worried about now is the seating area and whether or not where I want it will obstruct the projector at all. I think this part I will have to wait until I actually get it to try things out.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post

One last thing, you calculator doesn't allow me to alter the screen and what I mean is that it doesn't let me dictate where on the wall the screen goes it just defaults to center of the wall. Your calculator is giving me these measurements for a 110" screen: -3"pole with 18.5" offset. This means that I have to actually recess the projector in my 8' cieling which isn't an option. Nothing is stopping me though from using an almost flush ceiling mount that has a 4" pole and add that in to the 18.5" offset that I need would give me 22.5" offset, am I doing this right? I am not too worried about the screen being perfectly dead center. I'm trying to decide between going with a 100" or 110" screen.

You have to manually enter the screen distance from the floor, your ceiling height, and the screen size, then it will show you the screen markers. Yah the screen itself doesn't move, never added that feature. The two most important values (screen distance from floor and ceiling height) are highlighted in yellow. Then my calculator will give you an exact offset position, how long the mount needs to be, and all that good stuff.

When you mount the projector, I would suggest to mount it about as far back as you can, simply because it improves contrast slightly doing so, and the projector will not be as noisy to the viewers. Mounting it closer up does make the image slightly brighter, but with a 110" screen, you don't need a brighter image for the Pro8200.
bigwayne3000 likes this.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my God, I'm such an idiot. I've played around with your calculator and for some reason it just never dawned on me to change the screen from floor measurement. Once I did this it gave me exactly what I needed. Thanks again for everything guys I really appreciate it.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not an idiot, it's actually pretty confusing for first-time users. I need to create a tutorial, just haven't updated it in a while.
bigwayne3000 likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

One last question (for now haha). How do I calculate the distance I can put seating before it affects the projection onto the screen? I'm going to put this as far back as humanly possible but I am worried that if I put the seating where I want it, it will affect the projection since I will have to be about 1' 6" off the floor and 2' off the ceiling for my screen. My room is 10' wide x 18' 3" and the front of the projector will be sitting at around 17' on a shelf that will allow me to run the center of the lens at the required 18.5" offset for a 110" screen. If I put the seating at 9' back from the screen would I have enough clearance in order to project onto the screen without heads from the people in the couch being in the way?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page