Viewsonic Pro8200 Placement, Wilsonart Grey or White and Ceiling Mount Recommendations. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy a projector under 1K and have it narrowed down to a couple units. The Viewsonic Pro8200 is my first choice.

The problem is that my basement ceiling is only 7' 7" tall. I have 110" diagonal screen and a throw of 13' 6". My screen in a DIY painted wall with a felt frame that could be moved and modified if needed but a PITA. The problem is that the Viewsonic's lens offset is about 17 - 18" at my throw distance. That means I have to tilt up the projector and then use the keystone correction. The bottom of my fixed screen is at 2' 1" from the ground and IMO shouldn't be any lower. Also, table mounting is not an option.

For those of you that have Pro8200 is this a deal breaker? Does keystoning make a big difference to the picture quality?
My second choice is the Optoma HD20. The lens offset is only about 8. Seems like this would work better for placement. I want a DLP since I have had previous issues with LCD projectors.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 13
That is one of the few downsides to most dlp projectors, the fixed offset. The pro8200, like the hc4000, has a fairly large offset and makes installation in situations like yours difficult.
I can't speak to the effect of digital keystone on picture quality, but I think I've read it isn't good if you use the projector for gaming.
One solution would be to tilt the top of the screen out, so that the screen remained parallel to the front of the lens. You would have to make a rigid frame and mount sheetrock or mdf to the frame and then finish it.
GreenBaron likes this.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm thinking you could make the pro8200 work for you if you stay very flexible. When you get the PJ just move the PJ closer and further away from screen and increase or decrease zoom to screen size. Then just for setting it up the first time, use step ladder or chair, and with PJ in hand go higher or lower to get something that works. Then use bookshelf, or get ceiling mount to that level, with extension. It's your basement so you will figure something out. Most of us do not have high ceilings, and we can get it to work. As long as you can go straight back from screen, you can get it to work, one way or the other. smile.gif Tilting the PJ a little, turning the PJ upside down or right side up. You got options and you sound like a DIY type guy. It's only the first time you need to figure it out, from then on , for that room you know the perfect place for PJ.

I put mine on stack storage dressers behind me when I use it in the bedroom above me seated and when in living room, put it on table in front of me. I have put it in all types of rooms and most don't have high ceilings. With the lights off , as long as it works, you are good to go. Since I use the PJ in all types of places, I haven't done a ceiling mount. After the gaming session or movie, I put the portable screen and PJ away in closet. Sometimes I might leave it set up for a few days too. Try it in the bedroom or the porch or den, or friends house. Why not. It's 7 pounds of Big Screen entertainment. Can't take a 100 inch hdtv with you, but you can take a 7 lb PJ with you. smile.gif
GreenBaron likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought the PRO8200. I will find a way to make it work.

Couple more questions though:

I want to give the Wilsonart laminate a try on my 110" screen. My kids' dirty hands get attracted to the screen and I like the fact that I can wipe it clean. My man cave basement has very little light intrusion during the day and zero at night. Would I be best to go with Designer White (D354069) or Fashion Grey (D381-60)?

Also, any recommendations for a low profile ceiling mount?

Thanks again.

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Pro8200 by PriceGrabber.com