Architectural Projection for my Church - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

My name is Ryan, and I work for my church, Crossroads Christian Church as the Dir. of Technology. We're nearing the point where we're hopefully able to purchase new projectors, and we're eyeing on the ability to do "Architectural Projection" inside the sanctuary. Our building use to be a big ol' gymnasium type of building, and slowly but surely we're transforming it into not just a standard Sunday morning church service, but also an avenue to hold concert like worship events.

Here's a short example of what we're trying to do:
http://vimeo.com/5779382#

I'm looking for some budget minded options on projectors that would do this project some justice. $2,000 or less for each projector (3 total) is our goal. I'm largely interested in the following options.

1) 720p or 1080p/16:9 (or equivalent) native resolution. I'm not interested in anything lower res or 4:3 converted to 16:9 fake crap.

2) I'm hearing about new type of projection tech. using lasers and stuff, but any which way, I would hate to get DLP type of projection. LED is big, and LCD is okay...

3) I'm wondering if I need short throw lenses to do this right. Our Worship Team has a pretty shallow stage to work on...I'm guessing only 20" deep. So to cut the image behind our performers, I'm going to have to get the projector as close to the back wall as possible, but at the same time getting the largest image size possible.

4) Network connectivity would be awesome. Not 100% needed, but desired.

I personally hate it when people are like, "I want the best (insert item), with the best features, from the best manufacturers, but as cheap as possible!" I know the saying, "you get what you paid for" and totally understand that having to work with a $6,000 budget for 3 matching projectors, I may not get what I want with the said 4 options, and I may have to work with what I got. I'm just asking for maybe a brainstorm, and certainly some suggestions on projectors.

The room these will be used in is nearly completely dark. We're working on getting lighting setup so that there is very little splash from them on the back wall.

Also, am I correct in what I heard, that if I paint the back walls (they're totally flat black now) to something in the neighborhood of 75-80% black grey, that would be optimal? As in, when there is no projection, it appears black, but when there is projection, the colors are okay, but still with good darks.

Thanks for any help guys. This is my first time posting on this forum. Been a lurker for a little while.

Ryan~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What's your beef with DLP? I'm a noob as far as projectors go... but LED I believe would be rather dim for a large venue....

From what I understand there are three main types of digital projectors... DLP, 3LCD and LCoS. LED is just the type of lighting it uses, most use lamps/bulbs.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 AM

Liked: 12
there are no lcd led (that are any good), there are only dlp laser there are only dlp led projectors.

get a 3000 lumin, lcd projector and call it a day.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again,

I'm getting some suggestions from a representative about a few projectors he thinks would be helpful. I don't mean to undermine an expert, but I've been burned by sales people before, giving us only the suggestions that would give them the best profit. Anyway, one of his suggestions is the Optima TH1060p seen here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-TH1060P.htm

I'm starting to like this projector. It will replace the 4,000 lumen projector we have now, but we're adding 500 more lumens, and bumping it up to a lovely 1080p native resolution. Very excited about that indeed.

My questions to you guys is this...which will totally reveal to you guys that I am not experienced with projectors at all (that's why I'm here asking questions...)

Will the TH1060p, with 4,500 lumens and native 1080p, be okay to display roughly a max 540" image? As I said in my original post, we're going to try to do architectural projection with 3 of these projectors, and the center projector will be taking care of at the most a 540" image area. I'll have to back up the projector, and I know that kills lumens, but I gotta cover as much real-estate as possible with each of these projectors.

I know this may sound absurd to most of you...a freaking 540" image. But we're not doing home theater stuff. We're displaying lyrics to our songs and a pretty background to add color.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page