Open box Epson 8350 available at Best Buy - whats a good price for it? warranty? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,

I came across an Epson 8350 at a local Best Buy, I'm going to get the specifics on why its an open box item (return, demo unit etc) along with the hours on it etc. Whats a good price to pay for this PJ since its an open box item? Right now, most retailers are selling it for $1299 and I believe Best Buy typically just discounts open box items by 10%. I'll also get an update on the price in the morning and see if there is any room to negotiate it. Just wanted some feedback to see what you guys think its worth. I've seen new 8350s go for 1099 in the past.. Lastly, do you guys suggest getting the extended best buy protection plan and will this PJ still have the manufacturers 2 years warranty?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

so I purchased my Epson 8350 today finally! After searching the open box inventory for a few best buys in the area i finally found one that had an open box 8350. other retailers including amazon, visualapex, projector ppl etc, are selling it for 1299. Best buy had initially wanted 1169 for unit (only 10% off original price) but when I called after I got off work they said they had a one day special and would be able to let it go for $760 before taxes. Needless to say, I purchased the unit. I'll be picking it up this weekend from the store! I'm just debating whether I should purchase the best buy protection plan. they are offering 2 years at $99 which covers one bulb or 4 years for 159. What do you guys suggest? My understanding and what best buy told me is that i am still covered by the epson 2 year manufacturers warranty and it starts today.

this wasnt a demo unit it was one that was returned by the customer and is sealed. geek squad tested it out and confirmed that everything is in working order and no parts are missing. im gonna fire it up this weekend to see how many hours are on it. how do i see that in the settings of the PJ?

thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. I would find out who would be servicing the Projector after the manufacturers warranty is over and the extended warranty kicks in. Is it Best Buy or a local shop and
do they have any experience working on projectors ?

2. Does warranty cover cleaning if needed and remote.

3. Replacement policy if under warranty and cant be fixed.4. Who is backing the extended warranty. Best Buy or Somebody else. I have seen extended warranty company's go out of business what then ?

5. Ask to read copy of warranty!! Fine Print !!! Devil is in the details !!!

6. Is extended warranty transferable if you sell projector .

4 years for 159.00 is fair and if it does cover cleaning would be good deal that's normally 250.00 plus out of pocket and depending on your environment smoke, dust, etc, that
may needed to be done a couple years down the road.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwylie8643@sbcgl View Post

1. I would find out who would be servicing the Projector after the manufacturers warranty is over and the extended warranty kicks in. Is it Best Buy or a local shop and
do they have any experience working on projectors ?
2. Does warranty cover cleaning if needed and remote.
3. Replacement policy if under warranty and cant be fixed.4. Who is backing the extended warranty. Best Buy or Somebody else. I have seen extended warranty company's go out of business what then ?
5. Ask to read copy of warranty!! Fine Print !!! Devil is in the details !!!
6. Is extended warranty transferable if you sell projector .
4 years for 159.00 is fair and if it does cover cleaning would be good deal that's normally 250.00 plus out of pocket and depending on your environment smoke, dust, etc, that
may needed to be done a couple years down the road.

My take is that the extended best buy protection plan starts in parallel with the manufacturers warranty - not 2 years after the manufacturers warranty expires. im leaning towards purchasing just the $99 2 year warranty. ill check out the details when i got there this weekend to pick up the PJ
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM

I purchased a used 8350 for 625 but it had a lot of hours on it. It had the bb 4 year plan. You got a great deal. Me personally i would get the 4 year plan. That can be a big bargaining factor if you go to sell it after a couple years. The only reason I got the used 8350 is that it was under bb warranty until 6/2015. Otherwise i wouldnt have touchdd it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Are best buy warranties typically transferable? 4 year is a good amount of time - the only thing is it still just covers 1 lamp.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes it transfered. The process was easy. Just use the epson warranty until its up then use the bb warranty. It will help with resell if you go a diff direction down the road. I would think for just 160 more its a solid plan. I mean essentially new pj and 4 years protection for a little over 900.....sign me up.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

So picked this up today and even though it was an open box item it was brand new - 0 hours and no use. Everything was in original packaging. I ended up getting the 4 year warranty added. I tested it out today and was amazed at the quality. I still need some components, screen etc and will finally set up my HT.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM

the hours could have been reset