projector for 120 wide screen and 20 foot throw........suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I seem to be struggling with figuring out the right projector.

I have a 120 inch wide dalite screen. I think 1.0 gain. Throw distance is 20 feet. My theater room has a soffit where the projector needs to sit. The room is a theater room that can be light controlled but it's also used for watching sports where it's nice to have some light.

I'm looking at the usual low cost projectors........panasonic ar100u, epson 8350, etc but they all seem to not have the brightness I need. The Epson 3010 also appears a bit too weak in the light department. The Epson 3020 appears to work but no lens shift ma be a problem. Even the $2,000 range projectors don't seem to have the brightness.

I read plenty of threads that say all the projectors are "light cannons" and will work fine. The Projector Central calculator seems to disagree with that.

It's all very confusing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM

Liked: 13
20' is a long throw. You'll notice from the calculator the 8350 goes from 23fl to 9fl over it's zoom range. It's a physical limitation of the lens regardless of the projector so it seems you could find the rare projector with huge zoom and brightness (and cost!) that still isn't ideal for HT..or go with any of the well regarded (and cheaper) models and find a way to relocate it. Another option is a high gain screen, but those are also very expensive and have viewing cones etc.

Does the room have vaulted ceilings or some other reason a 12' mount is impossible? even with horizontal lens shift?
post #3 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yes, I'm starting to realize that a 20 throw is not a good thing. My old projector was a business model that needed the 20 foot distance so that's where I built the soffit in my theater room. It appears a new projector will simply have to mount in front of the soffit and not be located inside it like designed. It appears the options are limited without added cost.

A celing mount will be 2-3 feet above the top of screen. From what I understand it is highly desirable to use lens shift rather than keystone to correct for placement. Is that correct? Some of the Epson models don't appear to have the lens shift.

I think my solution will be to buy the best projector within my budget ($1,300 +/-) that will work using a celing mount and shorter throw, but first try it in the soffit. Nothing to lose and maybe with light control it's ok? Might be an issue as the bulb dims though.

Helpful response. Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 AM

Liked: 13
i should have checked the 3020 as well. it has an f/2.0-3.2 lens instead of the 8350 1.5-2.0 and shows at least twice the brightness. The zoom doesn;t quite reach 20' for a 120" but see if it will work for you depending on the offset.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page