HC3000 projector will not start up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi HC3000 projector that I bought in January 2006. Yesterday when I turned it on it worked for a while (maybe 15 minutes or so), but then the image disappeared - I switched it off and tried to turn it on again a bit later, but it switches itself off within 10 seconds or so (and no image is appearing). There is a bit of light coming out, but not so much (I don't know if it's less than normal during the first 10 seconds).

I was thinking that it could be the bulb not working anymore? It's the original bulb that came with the projector. I'm not sure how many hours it has been on, but it's definitely below 1000 hours.

However, the power/status indicator lights don't show any unusual things - the power light is red when the projector is switched off (which is normal), and then both the power and status goes green when I try to turn it on (also normal) - but then it just turns off and goes back to red light in the power indicator.

What do you think the problem is? Do I need to replace the light bulb?

I hope someone can help me, thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Have you cleaned the filter regularly? Has the unit been bumped around a lot? The reason I ask is there is a switch in the lamp cover that will prevent the projector from starting if the lid is not closed completely. So if it were mine, first thing I would do is open up the lamp cover remove, inspect, and reinstall the lamp. If none of that worked, I would reset the lamp counter (instructions are in the manual near the end) If still no light I would consider a new projector unless you can find someone close by your locations with a known good lamp. You DO NOT want to buy a cheap lamp as many of those knockoffs don't work in a functional projector and you are trying to trouble shoot. A new OEM lamp is $298 and that would be a gamble only you can decide is worth the risk. You should put your location in your profile so people know were you are located. I have a functional backup lamp I saved when I replace mine so if you are near Philadelphia PM me and maybe I can let you borrow it. There is a possibility that some other component has failed especially if you have not kept the filter clean so a known good lamp is the only way for you to test it at home.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I have been cleaning the filter regularly, and I just cleaned it again, but there wasn't really any dust on it - actually the filter has never been noticeably dusty - there is surprisingly little dust in the basement where I have the projector. The projector has been mounted on the ceiling since I got it apart from 1 time last year where I took it down and brought it to another place - but it has been working fine since then.

I just tried to uninstall the lamp, it looked normal to me (though I haven't actually seen a projector lamp before), so I installed it again - but the projector is doing the same thing.

Why do you think it could help to reset the lamp counter? This is the only thing of your suggestions that I haven't tried yet.

It's very kind of you to offer me to test with the backup lamp you have - but I'm from Denmark so that's a little too far away biggrin.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If for some reason the projector lamp counter is at the 3000 hour point it will prevent the projector from starting until it is reset. I know you did not mention seeing the lamp warning message that appears on startup when you are getting close. but all it will do is show one lamp rest and you will loss how many hours you have on your lamp. However there is a total unit hours that is never reset and as of now you got nutin so it can't hurt.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I just tried it - I think it reset properly, not entirely sure though, the status indicator did blink twice as the manual said it should, but it was at about the same time as the projector shut down. However, the problem is still there frown.gif

Perhaps I should start looking around for a new projector - it seems like I can get a new one that beats the HC3000 without paying so much. All the cheaper ones seem to be DLP too though, and while I have been enjoying my HC3000, I have had some issues with its picture in dark scenes - not sure how to describe it but in a way the picture is too hard and uneasy for my eyes. I don't know if that's because it's a DLP - but well, that's a whole different discussion smile.gif

Do you think there are any other things I can try before giving up, considering that I can't try with a known good lamp?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing I can think of. And yes, if anything happens to mine, other than a bad lamp, I will be replacing it with a 1080p projector.
If you have a repair shop near by you could inquire about a lamp and if they had one (doubt it) what would they charge you to try it in your projector..
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I will hear what the shop where I bought it has to say - but as things look I will probably buy a new projector - thanks a lot for your replies, you have been very helpful smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page