How does the lamp in the Epson 5010/5020 compare to the 8700 UB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased my Epson 8700 about a year and a half ago. It was an upgrade from my old Sanyo Z4 that I liked very much but was past it's prime. When I first installed my 8700 I LOVED the picture quality! The image popped off the screen so much more than my old Z4. Unfortunately I've had terrible issues with the lamps. After 1 day my lamp exploded! It was a loud bang and I thought the projector exploded! After calling Epson they told me that it was the lamp and they sent me a new one. No problem. 5 or 6 months after that with about 400-500 lamp hours, it happened again! Again they sent me a lamp. I was worried that there was something wrong with the projector, but the Epson people told me that there was a problem with the lamps and that the new lamp should last alot longer. Fine! They sent me another. This one lasted until late July. This time I noticed that the picture looked really dim for a day or so. I recallibrated my settings to make the picture bearable as I had friends coming over to watch a UFC fight. Right before the fight, the projector wouldn't power up and the dreaded flashing red light came on. I called Epson and after initially screwing up my claim, they sent me another replacement bulb. I had to go a week with no projector this time and my buddies and I had to go to a bar instead of watching the fight on my 100 inch screen. Once again Epson claimed that they had bulb issues and that I might have gotten one from a bad batch. Once again, I got my new bulb. Now it's November and once again, the guys are coming over for a UFC fight, and once again this Friday, I get the dim screen and now the projector won't power up and I got the flashing red lights. I can't contact Epson because they work banker hours. You can't get them after 5pm during the week and there are no weekend hours. I'll call Monday and I'm sure they will give me the same song and dance about the bulbs. Obviously this is completely ridiculous! I miss my Z4 and I'm considering buying a replacement bulb for it so I can use it for a backup.

One of the reasons I went with Epson was because of there customer service reputation. They do have no problem shipping bulbs but what happens when my warranty runs out? If I have to replace my bulb every 3-6 months, I will be paying over $500.00 a year for replacement bulbs! On top of that, I will have to go with no projector each time it burns out. This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!! I had my Sanyo for 7 years with one replacement bulb that I got for free and never had any issues! Now I have a problem every 3-6 months! What should I do with this thing?!?! Should I try to push for a new unit? I hear horror stories about refurbished replacements sent by epson with no THX mode or a focus ring that won't move, etc etc. This whole thing seems crazy to me! The great Epson customer service seems like they are appeasing me with bulb replacements until my warranty runs out and I'm on my own. I flat out refuse to pay that much every year for replacement bulbs!

More importantly, I was looking to upgrade to a 3d projector. Initially I really like what I saw with the Epson 5010 but it didn't have THX mode which I love with the 8700. Now that the 5020 has THX and 3d glassed, I really liked the look of the projector but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to go through the same kind of issues I am having with the 8700. Does anyone know if the bulb on the new 3d models is improved or should I expect more of the same with the 5020? If I can, I will be going with the Panasonic which sucks because I'd rather have the better lens shift.

Oh, by the way, my PJ is shelf mounted but has plenty of room to vent. I allowed for more than what is asked for according to the Epson manual. I even built a bigger shelf than for my Z4 because I figured the lamp would run hotter in the more powerful projector. I clean the vents perodically and they have never been clogged. I have the projector plugged in with an expensive surge protector. I take care of my equipment!

Please help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Once again they said that it is a lamp issue. Amazing! They told me that if the lamp dies prematurly again that they will take care of it and look at the unit. If it happens after the warranty is up, I doubt that is the case. I documented the reps name just in case. I was really excited about the 5020 but I think I'm going with the Panasonic. I just hope the lens shift is adequate.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-23-2012, 11:40 PM

Liked: 10
Anybody have any input on the LAMP issues Epson had? Are the Lamps in the newer models made in China? I have heard way too many people having issues with lamps in Epson projectors just like the OPs & I am not buying the Epson 5020 if its going to have the same problem.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
My 5010 just hit over 900 hrs and I haven't had any issues. I don't recall any lamp issues with the 5010's from others either.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM

I had the same problem. 5 bulbs later my projector is out of warranty and will be used as a door stop.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by drouin2009 View Post

I had the same problem. 5 bulbs later my projector is out of warranty and will be used as a door stop.

What model? Thanks!

Ed
post #7 of 10 Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drouin2009 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

What model? Thanks!

Ed

He seems to have a 8700.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1277578/epson-6100-8100-6500ub-8500ub-7500ub-9500ub-post-pre-mature-lamp-failure-here/210#post_23397421
post #8 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM

I have ab 8700ub and keep it in Eco mode with THX setting. I have a dedicated media room with a solid 120" screen with 1.1 gain. The room is totally dark with controlled sconce lighting and 15 ft. Ceilings. The room was wired at construction for Dolby 7.1 before Dolby 7.1 existed. We waited until May 2013 to install latest sonos and state of the art speakers. One thing that I think makes a difference is that the projector sits on a rigid mount with plenty of open space for convective cooling. The room also has a ceiling fan and stays a bit cooler than other rooms on the same ac unit. I don't think I could ascertain a better visual experience with any projector. The frame interpolation eliminates seeing individual pixels even at 6 inch viewing. Perhaps it's my own visual acuity but really the experience with a bluray enhanced Dvd is incredible. The Hobit for example. We have a 2013 "M" series Vizio in the living room with passive 3D. I almost never use this function because I am not all that taken with 3D. Perhaps that has to do with my age. So far we have had no problem with the projector and I occasionally use some dim lighting on the sconce lighting. Their is a bar behind the projector and when walking from the living room 65" M series Vizio to the media room for a football game for example is an extraordinary experience. Again, the projector is completely open front and back with about 5' of head room due to the high ceilings. Perhaps forced convective air circulation might help out on your particular setup. Knock on wood, no problems yet. I do from time to time wrap a cling free dryer sheet around the outside of the lens to eliminate static cling and keep the lens clean and free of dust.

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Liked: 10
I know this thread is 6 months old or so, but i have a 5010e, which went bad, epson sent a refurb unit out which lasted about 6 months. My lamp now goes black randomly about every 5-15 minutes which makes me think its starting to go but my lamp alert light on the projector is not lit. Not sure if i should try a replacement at 200-300 for the bulb or just find an alternative. Lamp life i see should be 4000 hours but i have less than half that on mine. Just curious if anyone has any feedback.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 AM

I also have an 8700UB. I noticed around 500 hours a yellowish tint on the right side of my 120" screen. The one thing that I think even Epson will agree with is that you are not going to get 4000 hours of life on the bulb. I am fortunate in that we have a dedicated media room. I run the projector in Eco mode and really cannot see the difference. I also use some frame interpolation. The screen is solid mount with a gain of 1.1. I have noticed that the room temperature is important for bulb cooling. Since we have 15' ceilings it was easy to have the projector mounted high enough not to run into. Also, running the ceiling fan helps. When I get a warning about the bulb overheating I have to unplug the projector to turn it off. I think it wants to run the convection fan to continue cooling but, I think, the bulb stays on. The better the cooling of the bulb and chassis the longer the life I assume. I am waiting for next years (2015) model. I may be naive but I think Epson will, by then, have the problem resolved. I think that Epson is one of the big four in electronics. They were one of about 3 who made their own computers in the early 80's and I also think they are owned by Seiko. I found the best prices with the best tech help at Visual Apex. There is also a mountain setting for high altitude ( less dense air) and for extra cooling you might want to run in this mode. Something else I do somewhat regularly is clean the lense with lense cleaner. I have read dozens of complaints about the bulb life on the 8700UB. Bottom line, do everything you can to keep the bulb cool and expect the life to be less than 1200 hours. I personally think that fatigue also shortens the life of the bulb (turning off and on). If it is only going to be for a short while, leave the projector on.

Hope this helps
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page