AVS Forum banner

Surge protector for projector? Ceiling mounted PJ - Monster Flatscreen PowerProject 200

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr.G 
#1 ·
I'm planning my installation and came across this product and wanted to get the communities feedback. I have a Epson 8350 that I'll be mounting to the ceiling and will also have a ceiling mounted outlet that it connects to. Therefore, my PJ is unprotected and not going to a surge protector. The Monster Flatscreen PowerProtect 200 is low profile and intended for flatscreen tvs put would work nicely for my application.

let me know your thoughts - i can pick this up for 13 bux. its not really about the costs more about whether its functional and perhaps it may be beneficial to others on the forums.

here are the features:

Features

Overview: The Flatscreen PowerProtect 200 surge protector mounts directly to a dual wall outlet. It is equipped with two AC outlets and a coaxial input and output.

SurgeGuard: The SurgeGuard circuitry features high capacity protection (1,100 joules) against performance-damaging power surges and spikes. It also prevents power disturbances from traveling down the coaxial cable connection to other home theater components.

24k Gold Contacts: The 24k gold plated coax contacts maximize signal transfer and corrosion resistance.

Dual Mode: Dual Mode disconnect circuitry also protects against secondary surges and spikes.

Coax Input/Output Terminals: The unit features two threaded coaxial connectors (1 input/1 output) on the bottom panel to protect your equipment from surges on the coax line. They are compatible with cable, antenna, or satellite signals.

Mounting: The Flatscreen PowerProtect 200 is designed to be used with a properly grounded, dual three-prong 110-120V AC outlet. It plugs into the top outlet and a plastic post slides into the ground opening of the bottom outlet

See less See more
#3 ·
If you want to protect your investment with something more effective than fairy dust, ditch the Monster and get a proper APC UPS such as a SmartUPS. You can probably find these in surplus stores for pennies on the dollar, just need to put new batteries in them. They are intended for use in servers and will protect your projector from brownouts, surges, power flashing on and off and many other things that the monster powerboard with its precious gold plating will be more than happy to fry your projector with.

Another maker of UPS's is CyberPower. They are a bit cheaper but still better than the Monster hokum.

#4 ·
The rationale for a UPS as mentioned by DarkVenture is to provide backup power to keep the projector running in the case of a brief power interruption or to provide enough time to power down your projector in an orderly manner in the case of a longer power outage. This is very important in areas of the country which have many lightning storms or chronic power outages but also as a good backup for anyone.

There are different ways to accomplish this - one is the PowerBridge.

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/home.html

Also take a look at this older AVS thread:

Protecting your ceiling mounted projector from surge and back-up power?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.