Projector Bulb Life w/ or w/out UPS??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After suffering two premature failures on my Epson 8350 I did some research on here and consistently saw recommendations for a UPS to prevent immediate power failure from not allowing ample run time of the cooling fan during shutoff. I invested in an APC550 from Best Buy for around $70. The first bulb failed around 1900 hours and this one failed around 1557 hours (the last one run nearly entirely in eco mode). Epson's excellent customer service replaced both under warranty given they failed within two years. We use the projector for our normal t.v. source using common sense in regards to cycling on and off too fast etc.

What I'm interested in is have any of you had similar early failures then gone to a UPS for protection then noticed a much longer life in your bulb? Any rough estimate from your experience with a UPS pro longing bulb life would be appreciated.

My projector had suffered quite a few power failures during each of the previous two bulbs so I'm sure I contributed to early bulb failure. So far we've had one power glich since installing the UPS and everything stayed on working excellently! I also have my cable box, cable modem, and wireless router plugged into the battery backup portion of the UPS so our service was interrupted as well. UPS's certainly offer some benefits no question about it.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I suppose everyone was smarter than me and always used a UPS? tongue.gif

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
post #3 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Nick, I think everyone would agree with your comments on using a good UPS with your projector. A little more money spent but a good long term investment, I've always had one on all my projectors.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Nick, I think everyone would agree with your comments on using a good UPS with your projector. A little more money spent but a good long term investment, I've always had one on all my projectors.

Yeah, I would imagine. Again I guess i'm just trying to find a guy like myself who can tell me "I used my projector without a UPS and got 18xx hours out of the bulb and then I purchased a UPS and got 25xx hour from the bulb" or something along those lines. I suppose it is probable most that use a UPS used it from day one on their projector unlike myself who had to learn the hardway:mad:

post #5 of 13 Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The UPS is there in case the power goes out it gives you time to properly shut down the projector if it looks like its going to be a long term outage. The thing that kills the lamp is when the power abruptly goes out the lamps don't have time to cool down properly and they "Pop" on the next start up or the arc chamber in the lamp distorts due to over heating. If the projector has a high altitude or a fan speed option it's ALWAYS better to use it because it increases the air flow cooling the lamp. If you have an abrupt power outage you should wait at least 10 minutes for the lamp to cool before re striking it. Many projectors have service menu options that allow for a longer cooling down cycle but you should know WHAT you are doing before going into the service menu.

Hope this helps

Bohanna
post #6 of 13 Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I have selected the high altitude setting already. I don't believe the 8350 allows for longer shut down time but I will have a look.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ I looked for the setting to extend fan shut down time last night. Looks like it is definitely not there.

post #8 of 13 Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
From reading many post on here, it is more problematic for the lamp to turn on quickly before a proper cool down than a power falure outage.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I would think quick power blips and brown outs would be a bigger danger (I use a UPS on my projectors too, but for this reason, not a total power loss). The cool down period is there to let you turn it back on more quickly. People may not remember the old Infocus X1 and X1a that had no cool down. You just flip the switch and it goes off. Of course it doesn't let you turn it back on right away.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

From reading many post on here, it is more problematic for the lamp to turn on quickly before a proper cool down than a power falure outage.

Correct. If the lamp arc chamber heats up faster than the air around it can cool it you get a "Pop" and its syonara muchaco,,, Or the chamber will distort and go of round and it will be much dimmer. Some people call this lamp droop.

Here is an over view of the temps that happen in a Metal halide lamp. The lamps in Projectors are even MORE high performance since they Generally operate with a 1 to a 1.5 MM arc gap so they have a tight point of origin which allows the light output to be tunneled through the projector and onto the screen. This is EVEN more difficult when dealing with a totally sealed lamp which is what many projectors use because they contain mercury. The trick with home theater projectors is to find a balance between fan noise and cooling..

Bohanna

http://www.budgetlighting.com/shat-r-shield/pdfs/arctube.pdf
post #11 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

^^^ I looked for the setting to extend fan shut down time last night. Looks like it is definitely not there.

Im guessing but there will be a data value in the service menu that increases the cycledown time. If you know someone who has the SERVICE manual for same projector have them look for it. BE CAREFUL when going into the service menu. There will be instructions. FOLLOW them to the letter and write down or video tape what you are doing in case you change the wrong item and have to go back and correct something.

Bohanna
post #12 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The 3rd bulb I had in my 8350 with the battery backup on it the entire time lasted a whopping 950 hours or thereabouts. I will say that this time I decided to run it on regular mode instead of eco but never exceeding light output available in cinema mode. All in all the battery back up has made no difference in the life of the bulb in this unit. It only had to save my projector one time during the time with this 3rd bulb and it worked great which is far more than I can say for the bulb. Such a shame a great picture has to come at the price of such horrible (compared to its advertised life) bulb life.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

The 3rd bulb I had in my 8350 with the battery backup on it the entire time lasted a whopping 950 hours or thereabouts. I will say that this time I decided to run it on regular mode instead of eco but never exceeding light output available in cinema mode. All in all the battery back up has made no difference in the life of the bulb in this unit. It only had to save my projector one time during the time with this 3rd bulb and it worked great which is far more than I can say for the bulb. Such a shame a great picture has to come at the price of such horrible (compared to its advertised life) bulb life.

I'm guessing that something happened during the short life of the lamp that caused it to fail prematurely . It could be it was a different lamp manufacturer even if you got if from epson. As far as the UPS goes. It does make a huge difference in places that are prone to power outages or spikes. running it in full mode will cause it to heat up faster. I think its better to run it in Eco Mode for the first 500 to 1000 or so hours so when you go to full mode it won't do a number on the panels.

Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page