Should I worry about Rainbow effect with newer gen projectors if I didn't see it with older ones? Thinking of an HC4000... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know rainbow effect is different from person to person. That said, my wife and I have spent hundreds of hours viewing an older 720p DLP and we had NO rainbow issues or eye fatigue. I don't know the model number but it was an older Epson DLP back around 2004-2006 maybe?

I have nowhere to preview an HC4000 in action. So, am I safe to assume that if we didn't have rainbow issues with and older DLP model, that we are pretty safe with the newer generations of DLP like the HC4000? Any opinions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You should be good(if it was a DLP). BUT as far as I know Epson never made DLP projectors.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 AM

Liked: 12
if you see rainbows has no relation to if a projector is a newer model vs 2006 model.

your old model may have a fast color wheel, certain segment color wheel etc. where some new models may have a slower color wheel that could introduce rainbow effect where you didn't see it before.

if you didn't see it before your probably safe.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Jim McC was right, it was my bro-in-law's and it was an Optima H79, not an Epson. Now that I looked up the Optima I'm freaking out. The older Optima had a 5x, 8 segment wheel where the Mitsubishi has only a 4x, 6 segment wheel... crap! I was going to order it today but now I'm hesitant. I could see rainbow with the older Optima but I had to make myself see it by shifting my eyes across the screen very fast. I never noticed it with regular viewing.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

You won't know if you'll see rainbows until you try it. Make sure of the return policy before ordering.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1 View Post

Thanks guys! Jim McC was right, it was my bro-in-law's and it was an Optima H79, not an Epson. Now that I looked up the Optima I'm freaking out. The older Optima had a 5x, 8 segment wheel where the Mitsubishi has only a 4x, 6 segment wheel... crap! I was going to order it today but now I'm hesitant. I could see rainbow with the older Optima but I had to make myself see it by shifting my eyes across the screen very fast. I never noticed it with regular viewing.

This is one of the last things you'll want to do as once you train your eyes/brain to see RBE you are far more likely to notice it where you very well may not have before.

If you cannot see it to begin with you should not go looking for it, this seems to be a more frequent mistake that people are making with the recent increase in reports of RBE.

Jason
post #7 of 10 Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

This is one of the last things you'll want to do as once you train your eyes/brain to see RBE you are far more likely to notice it where you very well may not have before.
If you cannot see it to begin with you should not go looking for it, this seems to be a more frequent mistake that people are making with the recent increase in reports of RBE.
Jason

I agree. That's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer to see if it hurts. smile.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Jason

The reason I learned to look for it was because when my bro-in-law was shopping projectors years ago he had me go preview them specifically to see if I could see RBE because he never could see it. He just wanted a second opinion to make sure company could comfortably watch whatever projector he bought. DLP was fairly new back then. I thought he was being paranoid back then but now that I'm about to pull the trigger on my first projector, I guess I am being just as paranoid smile.gif

By the way, thanks to all and I'm taking Jim's advice. I ordered the HC4000 from Projector People because they have a 30 day, no hassle return policy on projectors.

Rob
post #9 of 10 Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1 View Post

By the way, thanks to all and I'm taking Jim's advice. I ordered the HC4000 from Projector People because they have a 30 day, no hassle return policy on projectors.
Rob

So they changed their return policy on projectors, which used to be 4 hours on bulb?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No same Policy. If bulb hours are 4 or less, you get 100% refund. Over 4 hours and you pay a restocking fee. Seems very fair to me.

I just received my Hc4000 from projector people yesterday. Already installed and tested. So far it 100% perfect out of the box. I think you would have to spend at least $2000+ to get a better picture. No rainbow problems at all.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP