Looking for a projector to display in a business at night. Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking around a while and can't decide what would work best for the application we are looking for.

Basically we have a business with large front windows and we're looking to display slideshows and images on the forward facing wall at night (and also to a lesser extent during the day time). There are some overhead lights that will remain on so I think I need a decent setup with a high lumens rating.

Now we don't need any of the fancy features that many of the modern units come with as we'll never use the 3D etc.

We did try a rather old Dell projector just to see how it would look and it was pretty washed out. I believe it was rated at 1,200 lumens but it's also 10 years old or so.

As for price we'd like to stay below $2,000 if possible. Perhaps wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
As these are home theater forums, the projectors that are used would not suit you needs. You need a multimedia business projector. No matter how much light a projector puts out, the dark areas of the image will only be as dark as your screen is with the projector off. So if there is a lot of light it is going to be washed out. Would seem a large flat panel would be much better suited to your needs and available a much less than your budget, for instance http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Element-Electronics-ELGFW601-60-1080p-LCD-TV-16-9-HDTV-1080p-1/7011676/product.html
If that is not in the cards, you may want to try building a shadow box on the wall where you will be displaying. you can use your imagination as to how to do this, ( lumber, foam board, curtains whaterver) but what you want to do is provide a means to block some of the over head light.
Personally a big screen hanging on the wall, with bright colors would seem to be a better way to go.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 11
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Excellent, thanks for the help guys. I'm going to see if conditions are good enough to even try a Projector. Looking at the Optoma and a couple of the Dells: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&c=us&cs=ussoho1&l=en&sku=225-1412&~ck=dellSearch

I wish we could just use a LCD there but it would look kind of silly as the wall is about 180" and 10 feet off the ground.

If anyone has any other suggestions please post them! And thanks again.