Computer to Projector and DLP TV color shift to green (slightly) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am running into problems getting a correct picture on my systems.

My HP 6320 Projector shifts to the green side running directly from my computer (and I have no tint or color level control) and a shifts a little less with feeds from my cable box, at lease I can adjust the color with the cable box.

I tried a DVI-M-RCA-F adaptor to a VGA/3RCA to connect my computer via VGA cable to my projector and could not set the res any higher that 700 by 500 (or something like that .) so the picture was way off size.

OK I think I have found what I need:

VGA to Component (YpbPr) Converter box, like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=8668&seq=1&format=2

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-SVGA-PC-to-VGA-Component-Ypbpr-TV-Converter-Splitter-New-Free-shipping-/200756943334?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ebe0bd9e6

Any reviews on these type of devices, which is junk and what is good.??

They clam to allow adjusting color levels as part of their features.

Well I am doing my homework...

I believe I found another possible answer, my #1 Computer has a ATI 5450 Video card with a HDMI output slot.

So if I read things right a HDMI to 5 RCA Audio / Video Component Cable will output component single to my projector and with my TV I can just run HDMI to HDMI.

Can you split this , or use a "Y" Connector??

If this works I can just get another copy of this card for my #2 computer.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Found some info:

Well I did find some hints as to what is going on, but the thread concerning the green shift drop off before anyone really answered the problem.

Sadly the thread these showed up was about other HP systems...

Here the best posts are:

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 05:41 pm:
I just got a HP VP6320. 100% Yellow input shows at least 25% green on display. The green tint only shows on yellow, not on the other colors. Cyan shows as intense blue. Once I know this I have a hard time not to notice the green shift in everything with is supposed to look 100% yellow. S-Video and DVI inputs show the same. Test pattern from computer shows the same green tinted yellow as Video DVD, HDTV. HP email support says, the UHP bulbs have not enough red, so mixin yellow from red and green gives a green tint. To fix this problem they only could reduce the brightness on green and blue, which would make the picture much less bright. You will probably only notice this green shift on the yellow color if you know it should be yellow, like a computer color test image, or a yellow tulip or such. Just wondering if there are better projectors for $1k, or if this pretty much the problem with all the low priced projectors.

One reply:

Quote:
A white point error toward green will shift yellow to green. Gray scale calibration effects the color of secondaries to a great extent.

And lastly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal4326 View Post

Couldn't you just adjust the green gamma seting down to fix the color shift?

-Dan

I'm not a professional calibrator, but UMR is, and his comment was:

Quote:

A white point error toward green will shift yellow to green. Gray scale calibration effects the color of secondaries to a great extent.

So playing w/the green gamma might not be the best way to fix this on xxrando's set...

End Quote:

AS you might see they are not even talking about the HP vp6320 but about HP DLP Projectors and TVs.

I can find no gamma adjustments, no Gay Scale calibration in the control screen and no color adjustments, on/in HP vp6320, I did find a color test and it shows great white, red, blue and green and black screens.

Black and White movies/scenes are lightly green tinted...

I hope there is a trick to get into a special control screen to make some adjustments..(I have seen such hidden controls on many things)

There was also a few notes about over bright whites and I have fought that on both of my front projectors and have had to turn down brightness and contrast a lot.

I am hoping someone know of these hidden controls... and share with us how to get in.

Rich

post #3 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well, armed with this new info I tried contacting HP Tech Support.

I am facing my first major disappointment with HP.

They have NO information, even a tech support call: the tech was unable to find any deeper information and not even if there was ever a firmware update.

The ONLY suggestion was possible replacing the lamp!!!?? It was suggested my lamp might be fading and causing the color shift.

Question is: is this possible and if so what brand of lamp replacement has the best red or color spectrum output?

My projector does have 5258 hours on the original lamp which is part number L1695-60901.

Rich

PS did a search here on that lamp.nothing found.

Did an internet search and found the lamp running $250.00 to $300.00. This is a deal breaker on this old projector...it is a 2004 model and I do not feel it is worth $300.00.

I rather invest in a newer 3D projector.

So as long as I can stand it it will get some more use until I can figure out its replacement, which meands a ton of reading here on projectors. (so glad I found this site so I can make the next buy better informed.)
Edited by racprops - Today at 9:24 am

Any suggestions as to which projector should be next?

post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You may want to try different scan rates. It could help with images that left shift, I SWEAR by this product if you are trying to go from a HDTV cable box to an older VGA projector. It has LOTS of options.This is the same as the LK-219413 . The Only down side is it goes into standby mode if it doesn't see a signal coming from the RGB cablebox end so make sure you can get to it easily.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7113&seq=1&format=2

Bohanna
post #5 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Just curious what EXACTLY are you trying to do with the projector? look at your computer or watch TV? eek.gif

Bohanna
post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

HMM?? This looks interesting. it looks like a souped up version of the LK-219413 converter I love so much! Bohanna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TVOne-1T-PCDVI-PCDVI-Cross-Converter-PC-HD-DVI-to-PC-HD-DVI-Video-Switcher-/290710228771?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43afae0f23
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a Home Computer DVR and I have been watching old TV shows on HULU..

I have run into the color tint problem before watching TV and Movies from the computer and as I now plan on getting rid of cable need to fix this problem before I do cut the line.

Rich

post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

That Video One convertor looks interesting too bad the dealer is not including the remote nor any manuals.

I would like to see a complete set offered.

Rich

post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

I am trying to set up a Home Computer DVR and I have been watching old TV shows on HULU..
I have run into the color tint problem before watching TV and Movies from the computer and as I now plan on getting rid of cable need to fix this problem before I do cut the line.
Rich

Its sounding like you have some problems with the link between the computer and the projector. Have you tried VLC media player for video files? I like to use the 8.6 version because it has easy to use color controls

Bohanna.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

No I running Beyond TV to see and record TV OTA in the computer.

I am hoping I can fix the interface between the computer and the projector.

OR learn how to adjust the projector.

Rich

post #12 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

UP Date:

Bought a new BenQ MW516.

That cleared up my computer to projector problems.

It was the HP.

Rich

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page