is my ceiling too low for a good size projected image? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello:

i have a sony hs20 and have recently moved to a new place. i would like to setup my basement for a home theater eventually but have concerns about the height of my ceiling in the basement.

in my previous place, i had an approximate 120" screen (painted on the wall) that was 21.5 inches off the ground to the black border and the border was 2" wide. i was perfectly fine with that setup.

unfortunately, i do not know how high the ceilings were in my old place so i don't know how far the ceiling was from the height of the image. However, the top of the image was 84" from the floor.

Now my basement has a drop ceiling laid out at 80.5 inches high and floor to joist is 83". The drop ceiling hasn't been put in yet. eventually i could possibly use drywall on the ceiling instead to gain an extra approx 3 inches of height but that's far down the road.

My question is: is this too low a ceiling for a good size (at least 90" and preferably 100") screen without problems? I don't know what problems there would be with having the screen be very close to the ceiling, but perhaps someone could fill me in. I saw this site (link below) that recommends having the screen be at least 3 feet from the floor and its height to be at least 3 feet from the ceiling. obviously for me at 80.5 inches that does not amount to allowing a good sized screen (about 8 inches wide!), so that doesn't work for me (or for i'm sure a lot of people!).

http://www.theprojectorpros.com/learn-s-learn-p-theater_setting_up.htm

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No problem. That's the same as my ceiling height, 80". I have a 106" diagonal screen, 20" above the floor and it seems perfect to me. When seated, you want your eyes about 1/3 up from the bottom of screen. 3' off the floor is way too high. And at least 3' from the ceiling is ridiculous. For that to work, you'd need a ceiling height of 10'. Very few people have a 10' ceiling.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jim for your reply. That's good to know. 106" would be great!
post #4 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've only a got 7' (84") ceiling and my 120" diagonal screen looks great with both my Viewsonic Pro8100 and Epson 3010 sitting 18' back. I had the same concerns as you but it isn't a problem. You'll be fine.

Ed
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm glad to know that it can still work out. I've been without my projector now for about a month and I'm feeling the urge to get it setup. When I looked at the calculations (and the website that I linked to above) i thought that there would be no way. Glad that it will work.

Ed, with your setup, you must have it pretty close to the ceiling (within 6 inches or so). Do you have the projector ceiling mounted or placed on a shelf? In my old place it was on a shelf and that was fine but i did have higher ceilings.

One other question - if i want to ceiling mount it i know i can't mount it to a drop ceiling. any suggestions on this, or is ceiling mounting not feasible with lower ceilings (80.5" in my case)? if i ceiling mount it could i simply attach it to the joist and cut a hole through one of the ceiling panels?

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulper View Post

One other question - if i want to ceiling mount it i know i can't mount it to a drop ceiling. any suggestions on this, or is ceiling mounting not feasible with lower ceilings (80.5" in my case)? if i ceiling mount it could i simply attach it to the joist and cut a hole through one of the ceiling panels?
Thanks!

Yes. I also have a drop ceiling with 2'X2' acoustic tiles. I mounted a 2X6 between the joists, used lag screws into the 2x6, then ran pipe thru hold in ceiling tile.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulper View Post

Thanks! I'm glad to know that it can still work out. I've been without my projector now for about a month and I'm feeling the urge to get it setup. When I looked at the calculations (and the website that I linked to above) i thought that there would be no way. Glad that it will work.
Ed, with your setup, you must have it pretty close to the ceiling (within 6 inches or so). Do you have the projector ceiling mounted or placed on a shelf? In my old place it was on a shelf and that was fine but i did have higher ceilings.
Thanks!

The top of the projected image is about 7 or 8" from the ceiling, the bottom roughly 13 or 14" from the floor. My Viewsonic Pro8100 is shelf mounted about 18' back, the Epson 3010 is ceiling mounted about 13 1/2' back. They both look fine sitting 18' back. The center of our view is about 1/3 of the way up the screen. I was concerned like you that it wouldn't work with having to have the screen so low but it is not a problem at all. Of course this is with these projectors, I can't say with certainty for your Sony but especially with a smaller screen I bet you won't have a problem.
Just ceiling mount it as Jim McC suggested. Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Ed
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page