Epson LPE Filter. Over 1600 Color Correct Lumens Out Of the 5010/5020 6010/6020? A Detailed Review. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 202 Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the filter from Lesliew (thanks!) but I haven't tried it out yet. cool.gif

I am planning to change my screen from 92 to 106 inches and was wondering if I should go for a grey / high contrast screen (Da-lite, Elite or Draper) considering the extra lumens we're getting through the Dynamic mode...

Do you think it's a good idea or would it compromise the colors beyond calibration repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 202 Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Hey Harry!

A gray screen won't hurt your calibration at all. To choose a screen properly, you need to know the type of room. Does it have ambient light? Is it treated? (Dark ceiling, floor, walls & furniture.) Semi-treated? How far will the PJ lens be from the screen?

With a 1.0 gain screen, you'd be getting between 14 and 19 fL, assuming a PJ distance of 10.5 feet, in THX ECO mode. No need for the filter. With the filter and ECO Dynamic, you're looking at up to 44 fL! Way too bright for a dark room. You'll need to go to a Very dark gray screen.

During the day with lots of light, 44 fL looks great for sports. In a dark room, 12 -16 is the recommended range, although I prefer 15 - 20.

In a treated room with no ambient light, I like a white screen. In a semi-treated room, white can work, but it's variable. In a less than semi-treated room, gray screens rule.

Look at this calculator to help you with figuring this out:
http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/
post #93 of 202 Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks Kirnak, I appreciate the advice.

I mainly use the projector at night, but my living room has white walls, & ceiling and a huge glass coffee table so far from ideal... I guess that where a gray screen would make a relevant addition.

I'm just addicted to the brightness of this Epson and going with a larger screen (+30%) and grey fabric (1.3 to 0.9 gain) , I'm just concerned I'll lose that amazing picture, hence the dynamic/filter combination coming to the rescue... wink.gif
post #94 of 202 Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

Grayscale calibrated with a Duo Video processor added to the end of post #4. Outstanding!!!

Those are excellent results. I have to send my Lumagen back to fix an issue with 1080p, but when I get it back I am looking forward to what it can do with this filter, judging from your results with the Duo, it will be a killer combo. 1300ish Calibrated Lumens..... Nice.
post #95 of 202 Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

1300ish Calibrated Lumens..... Nice.

In Eco no less. biggrin.gif Looking forward to see your results with the Mini 3D. I'm trying to decide if I want to make that jump...
post #96 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM

Yes, much thanks to Lesliew for hunting some of these filters down and giving us a chance to win won! Unfortunately in my case, the auctions went way higher ($300!!) than I was willing or could afford to pay.

Is there only one German company manufacturing these things?? And if so, is it a mainstream product that they produce and sell on a regular basis? If this is the case, there must be an online retailer that sells these things, no???

Anyone have a link to the manufacturer or one of their distributors??

As I'm sure a lot of you will agree, it's very frustrating that it's this difficult to get your hands on one of these things!! Sheeesssshhh, it's 2013, we should be able to buy this thing!!

Thought anyone??

Thanks everyone!!
post #97 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 16
If anyone finds a German retailer, let me know. My wife is german and currently is currently there for the next 6-8 months, so we could get these relayed through her. I missed the initial offer, but did snag one of the ebay ones. i would like to help offer them to those who missed out.
post #98 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Can she google it in German or find an epson retailer over there? If you can get a connection with these filters you can make some mula my friend. They are in high demand and people are overpaying for them.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #99 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 AM

They are in high demand, yes, but i didn't think this forum was about making "mulah" or taking advantage of other members. I totally understand if someone wants to make a few extra bucks for doing the leg work and facilitating the purchase of the filters for other members, but let's not get carried away.
post #100 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM

There has to be an equivalent gel (thin colored plastic sheets used to make lights give off a certain color for movie production) out there that can be bought for cheap, and affixed with a rubber band or something. Could someone with one of these filters please investigate into this, for the sake of all Epson owners living outside of Germany?
post #101 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcorner View Post

They are in high demand, yes, but i didn't think this forum was about making "mulah" or taking advantage of other members. I totally understand if someone wants to make a few extra bucks for doing the leg work and facilitating the purchase of the filters for other members, but let's not get carried away.

Chill out. Nobody was talking about "taking advantage" of anybody. Don't turn this into a victim situation. He could sell them on an auction site like the rest have been sold on. It was really an informative comment more than anything other than that showing how high in demand they were. Go relax in the other room now buddy. wink.gif

- Leon Phelps
post #102 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater1 View Post

If anyone finds a German retailer, let me know. My wife is german and currently is currently there for the next 6-8 months, so we could get these relayed through her. I missed the initial offer, but did snag one of the ebay ones. i would like to help offer them to those who missed out.

u paid a pretty penny for one
when they got to the $150 mark i was out
post #103 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Please don't misunderstand my offer, i would offer them for their cost (with shipping included). It's to make them avalible to all, not to make money. I don't want to loose money, but i dont want to make money. I also visited a Epson dealer while I was there for the holidays, they claimed there is no part number for them, hence they can't order them. If i can get a part number, we are golden as my brother in law works there smile.gif
post #104 of 202 Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Huge offer, thanks. I love seeing the community helping each other.

I sent you a PM with what little research I've done.

Thanks

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #105 of 202 Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Please don't misunderstand my offer, i would offer them for their cost (with shipping included). It's to make them avalible to all, not to make money. I don't want to loose money, but i dont want to make money. I also visited a Epson dealer while I was there for the holidays, they claimed there is no part number for them, hence they can't order them. If i can get a part number, we are golden as my brother in law works there smile.gif

Very generous of you Nater1 !! I also like to see people helping out the community!! I'll be looking forward to see if you can get some of these things as I want one pretty bad. I too was out of the auction around $150, just too much! FYI, I was on the phone with Epson US and Epson UK for two hours the other day trying to track these things down. Epson was great but at the end of the day I came up short. Thanks again!!!
post #106 of 202 Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Chill out. Nobody was talking about "taking advantage" of anybody. Don't turn this into a victim situation. He could sell them on an auction site like the rest have been sold on. It was really an informative comment more than anything other than that showing how high in demand they were. Go relax in the other room now buddy. wink.gif

Hey Pain, didn't mean anything by what I said, sorry if it came across that way. I guess I was aggravated after getting shut out of the auction! $330 for one of them?? Holy cow!!
post #107 of 202 Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Ok, here is where I am currently... I have an email out to Epson Germany about possibly getting a part number... We will see if they can pull something together for me. The other piece of news is that I had my wife watch a video that YZFbossman linked me to via a PM, and it turns out she remembers that there is a dealer in her hometown that sells both cin4home products and Epson projectors (this was confirmed by a google search). SO... She is going to hopefully head there in the next few days and pin the sales people down about the filters, we will see what info they provide her. She can be pretty persistent when she wants to be...

Please be patient with me as I am trying to work on this while maintaining my day job and planning a 2nd wedding for my wife and I in Germany. There is a lot going on, but I want to make some progress on this.
Yzfbossman likes this.
post #108 of 202 Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcorner View Post

Hey Pain, didn't mean anything by what I said, sorry if it came across that way. I guess I was aggravated after getting shut out of the auction! $330 for one of them?? Holy cow!!

Yeah those are really going high right now. It is the supply and demand rule I guess. The funny thing is, I thought that you were a little upset about them going so high. No worries and I hope I didnt come across rude to you or anybody else. Just give it some time and you will see them pop up a little cheaper. Not many people know about them yet and when things hit the market at first, they are really overpriced. Remember when bluray players were over a thousand dollars? eek.gif That was for a simple bluray players that did not do any processing or special features like the Oppo's.

- Leon Phelps
post #109 of 202 Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was also totally taken aback by how much these went for, so much so that I've already donated $200 from the auction to a local charity. I'm glad at least 10 people from this group benefited from those that went for $48.
Quote:

Ok, here is where I am currently... I have an email out to Epson Germany about possibly getting a part number...

Don't know if this will help.

Some of the padded envelopes that the filters arrived in had the following label attached, some had the labels removed. I have already tried to search using the number but to no avail.

If you have inside connections then there is a chance that it is an internal part number that could lead someone in the right direction.

Leslie
Yzfbossman likes this.

Epson 6020UB LPE + Prismasonic CIH Anamorphic Lens
120" diagonal 2.40:1 DIY Screen, 19x13x9 Dedicated room
Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR, 7.2 speaker configuration + FH, RH
OPPO BDP-105, Slimdevices Transporter
Sony 2 Channel Amp -> Wharfedale Opus 2-3's
post #110 of 202 Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliew View Post

I was also totally taken aback by how much these went for, so much so that I've already donated $200 from the auction to a local charity. I'm glad at least 10 people from this group benefited from those that went for $48.

For those of us who are new to this thread, I sincerely hope a new batch comes available. PM me if any more come in. Thanks.
post #111 of 202 Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Some of the padded envelopes that the filters arrived in had the following label attached, some had the labels removed. I have already tried to search using the number but to no avail.

If you have inside connections then there is a chance that it is an internal part number that could lead someone in the right direction.

Leslie

Thanks for posting this pic. And big thanks for starting this thread Leslie.

Quote:

The other piece of news is that I had my wife watch a video that YZFbossman linked me to via a PM, and it turns out she remembers that there is a dealer in her hometown that sells both cin4home products and Epson projectors.

Glad the video was helpful. Thanks for taking on this project, I really hope you can locate more filters.
Quote:

Please be patient with me as I am trying to work on this while maintaining my day job and planning a 2nd wedding for my wife and I in Germany. There is a lot going on, but I want to make some progress on this.

Congratulations on the new marriage too! I'm sure it's fun having two weddings....although I'm not sure I'd like all the planning. smile.gif

Here is my build thread:

post #112 of 202 Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzfbossman View Post

And big thanks for starting this thread Leslie.

??? biggrin.gif

Been out of town...
post #113 of 202 Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

??? biggrin.gif

Been out of town...

Oops! :embarrassed:

Thanks Kirnak! smile.gif

Here is my build thread:

post #114 of 202 Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I emailed Epson and linked to this thread on the one on another forum, the cine4home review, a retailer in Germany selling the LPE model, and the ebay auctions to show high demand for the filter. I've received a reply, the email has been forwarded to the 5020/6020 group for consideration. Hopefully, I'll hear something back sometime. Cross your fingers!
post #115 of 202 Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Liked: 12
got my filter...and time to try it out... :P
first run...with included settings......i had to drop down to 5500k....(probably screen difference or?...my screen is a´ 1.0 gain grandview 100" tab-tens white)
meter: c6 profiled against x-rite spectro design (spectracal edition)
now on to some calib.....
cheers!/H

edit:
nevermind this post!!
it was my signal generetor bug (dpg2000 1080/24 bug) that had kicked in once again biggrin.gif
move on people! nothing to see here!... =)
cheers!/H
post #116 of 202 Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Leslie

Awesome - that 7106956 is definitely an Epson internal part number - so anyone contacting Epson about this should refer to that number in their correspondance. I've worked in the computer field for over 25 years and dealt with all kinds of manufacturer's part numbers, consumer numbers, replacement numbers, internal stock numbers; Generally, if a certain part is not available separately from the product it is packaged with by the manufacturer, then that internal part number stays internal and won't be made public anywhere.

Hopefully Epson will consider providing this filter separately - even if it would be directly through their own support department rather than by wide retail release - at least that way they would know that the filters are likely being used by those who would be a little more technically inclined to experiment with them - If they sold them retail, then they would most likely have to contend with more support calls from the Average Joe user who may not even understand the filters purpose. Our projector firmware upgrades are a prime example of this scenario - originally the upgrades for these projectors were not made available to us without sending the projector back to Epson,or to an authorized dealer; but high demand from the consumer steered them into opening up and making the firmware available directly to the customer though their support department - after they realized that many of us are quite capable at performing a multi-file, multi-step manual update using an outdated operating system... smile.gif

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #117 of 202 Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM

Hello All!!

Any updates on the LPE filters? Anybody find any yet?

Also, I can only assume the 4 ebay filters purchased on ebay a couple weeks ago were sold to members of this forum!!?? If that's the case, do you 4 have any feedback on how the filters are working? Have you noticed a big difference with the filters installed??

Any feedback would be appreciated! Just curious to know if the filter is definitely worth the money and the time and effort trying to find them!!??

Thanks!!
post #118 of 202 Old 01-27-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just emailed Epson a few days ago, hopefully I'll hear something back. If you need the extra lumens, the filter is worth it. Even at $300, think how much extra life you can get out of a bulb. If you're stretched for output to begin with, you may need to change your bulb every 800 hous or so to have enough output to drive a big screen By getting about double the output, you might be able to go over 3000 hours or more. That could save the cost of three or more bulbs.

If you don't need the extra output, you don't need the filter.
post #119 of 202 Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM

FreyTheater or anyone else....

Is there a firmware update available for the 5020UB?

Jim Ed
post #120 of 202 Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

FreyTheater or anyone else....

Is there a firmware update available for the 5020UB?

That's a little off-topic, but... Unfortunately, I'm not really up to speed on the 5020 yet, as I still have the 5010 - I haven't even subscribed to any of the 5020 threads yet, shame on me! eek.gif

I 'm not sure but the firmware updates for the two series may be different even though the models are very similar... anyone else know?

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Usa Inc , Epson Projector , Epson America , Epson Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page