Newbie to front projector needs advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I plan to place a ceiling mounted front projector in my basement this winter and need advice. I plan on placing a manual screen above the old Big screen. The ceiling height is 7ft 8 inches, the width of the wall where the tv is now is 13 ft, the distance from the tv wall to the back wall is 23ft and the couch is 15 ft from the tv wall. I assume the glass on either side of the current tv is a problem due to reflections and will need to be covered. The walls are painted a pale yellow and this can't be changed for now. The area can be completely light free but I hope to have a setup where I can read the paper while I watch a game. I was thinking a 120 inch 16x9 screen and don't have a particular projector in mind yet. Trying to keep budget around $2000 or so. Let me know any thoughts or advice on my project. Thanks
[IMG][IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

[IMG]
post #3 of 15 Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, photo problems
post #4 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

I plan to place a ceiling mounted front projector in my basement this winter and need advice. I plan on placing a manual screen above the old Big screen. The ceiling height is 7ft 8 inches, the width of the wall where the tv is now is 13 ft, the distance from the tv wall to the back wall is 23ft and the couch is 15 ft from the tv wall. I assume the glass on either side of the current tv is a problem due to reflections and will need to be covered. The walls are painted a pale yellow and this can't be changed for now. The area can be completely light free but I hope to have a setup where I can read the paper while I watch a game. I was thinking a 120 inch 16x9 screen and don't have a particular projector in mind yet. Trying to keep budget around $2000 or so. Let me know any thoughts or advice on my project. Thanks

Yes, this seems like an ideal space for a home theater. Projector could be mounted above the couch or a few feet behind. A manual pull-down screen would run $200-300. Main complaint with pull-down screens are waves and wrinkles that develop with time, some people are fine with that. Not my preference, I would go with an electric tab-tensioned screen but these can run around $1000 for 120 inches so there goes half your budget. Big question is how you are planning to route your signal and power cables to the ceiling hung projector.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It sounds like sports and ambient light is what's high on your priority list. If that's the case, the BenQ W7000 (around $2000) or the new W1070 (around $1000) should be on your short list for projectors. I agree with the tab tensioned electric screen.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Yes, this seems like an ideal space for a home theater. Projector could be mounted above the couch or a few feet behind. A manual pull-down screen would run $200-300. Main complaint with pull-down screens are waves and wrinkles that develop with time, some people are fine with that. Not my preference, I would go with an electric tab-tensioned screen but these can run around $1000 for 120 inches so there goes half your budget. Big question is how you are planning to route your signal and power cables to the ceiling hung projector.
Thanks for the info, would the dark glass on the audio cabinet doors have to be covered due to light reflections? If the projector is mounted in the very back of the room on the ceiling the wiring is simple, if it has to be more over the couch that could be more complicated. I will look into the electric tab- tensioned screen.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, would the dark glass on the audio cabinet doors have to be covered due to light reflections? If the projector is mounted in the very back of the room on the ceiling the wiring is simple, if it has to be more over the couch that could be more complicated. I will look into the electric tab- tensioned screen.

You originally stated the length of the designated area was 23 feet and if you're planning on installing the projector near the back wall you need a projector capable of projecting 120" from that distance, something not all projectors can do. All projectors have a throw range and it's usually best when you can set the projector somewhere from close to mid range. I don't know how much you know about projectors so you may want to look at a basic tutorial - Projector Facts.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You originally stated the length of the designated area was 23 feet and if you're planning on installing the projector near the back wall you need a projector capable of projecting 120" from that distance, something not all projectors can do. All projectors have a throw range and it's usually best when you can set the projector somewhere from close to mid range. I don't know how much you know about projectors so you may want to look at a basic tutorial - Projector Facts.
Thanks, I have been looking at that tutorial. I would much rather have it over the sofa but the way the beams run it would make a clean installation much more difficult. I have a friend who has some experience coming to look next month and help. If the audio cabinet glass is partly exposed on the sides of the screen will this create a problem? I may be forced to have it all the way back and will have to be certain the projector I choose can do this.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I have been looking at that tutorial. I would much rather have it over the sofa but the way the beams run it would make a clean installation much more difficult. I have a friend who has some experience coming to look next month and help. If the audio cabinet glass is partly exposed on the sides of the screen will this create a problem? I may be forced to have it all the way back and will have to be certain the projector I choose can do this.

Looking at the space I would assume at some point you would get an electrician involved. You need a power outlet installed no matter where the projector ends up. While it's true you can always run cables on the surface, they would spoil the aesthetics of the room. Much of the glass would be covered by the screen, the little that remains exposed can be covered if it becomes a problem.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Out the back double doors is a garage so running power is simple, running the hdmi and possibly another cable is also simple. I am going to look for a $1000 or so projector that can throw 120 inches 24ft. Thanks for your input. Also I think I may need to go with a manual screen as getting power to that spot cleanly would be very difficult.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Out the back double doors is a garage so running power is simple, running the hdmi and possibly another cable is also simple. I am going to look for a $1000 or so projector that can throw 120 inches 24ft. Thanks for your input. Also I think I may need to go with a manual screen as getting power to that spot cleanly would be very difficult.
I have decided I need to mount the projector about 16ft back, over the couch, I have a wood worker that can make a nice covering for the cords because they will have to go on the ceiling out the back of the room. It would be a huge project to get it all concealed in the ceiling due to the direction of the beams, he has covered wires with crown molding trim for me before and it will look good. I have decided on the Epson 3020, a little over my budget, I only watch Direct tv and movies, no gaming. The projector would be about 16ft back, the top of the 120 inch screen would be about 10 inches down from the ceiling, which is about 7ft 8inches high, any problems with this? The represenative at Projector People told me this would work, any input is appreciated, thanks.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have decided I need to mount the projector about 16ft back, over the couch, I have a wood worker that can make a nice covering for the cords because they will have to go on the ceiling out the back of the room. It would be a huge project to get it all concealed in the ceiling due to the direction of the beams, he has covered wires with crown molding trim for me before and it will look good. I have decided on the Epson 3020, a little over my budget, I only watch Direct tv and movies, no gaming. The projector would be about 16ft back, the top of the 120 inch screen would be about 10 inches down from the ceiling, which is about 7ft 8inches high, any problems with this? The represenative at Projector People told me this would work, any input is appreciated, thanks.

The Epson 3020 is a nice projector but (like the 3010) it lacks lens shift. So whether it will work in your home theater will depend on the height of your ceiling.

Use the Epson interactive calculator - just pick your projector model and input your variables to find out if this is the right projector for you.

http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/

post #13 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Epson 3020 is a nice projector but (like the 3010) it lacks lens shift. So whether it will work in your home theater will depend on the height of your ceiling.
Use the Epson interactive calculator - just pick your projector model and input your variables to find out if this is the right projector for you.
http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/
Thank you exactly what I was looking for. I put my info in, and I think I'm good. I will probably call Epson Monday to double check.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You'll be fine as long as you can center the pj with the top/center of the screen. I have a 3010 and my set up is pretty much the same as yours but the pj is mounted about 13 1/2' back.

BTW, My screen is from htdepot.com--120" 16:9 1.3 gain electric. I've had it for almost 2 years and it's been great. Never any wrinkles or waves just the slightest "curl-in" at the edges that you have to look closely from the sides to see. I'm convinced that this is exactly the same screen as the Favi screen that's currently on Amazon for $257 delivered. I paid almost twice that for the Focupix from htdepot and thought that was a good deal. I don't see how you could beat this screen for a "budget" model.

Hope this is helpful.

Ed
post #15 of 15 Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look at that screen. Is it a distraction having the projector in front of your seating area, I assume it is? The way my seating is, about 16 ft away, the projector would be in front of it a little, thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page