AR100U, Epson 3010 or RS40? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m upgrading from a Panasonic AE900U. It’s ceiling mounted 14’ from my 110” screen that has a 1 gain. We watch a mix of movies and TV, in an almost total bat cave. 3D isn’t important. We bought a 3D TV for upstairs and have only watched 1 3D movie on it in the last year.
I’m interested in 3 projectors.
1. Panasonic PT AR100U; I like it, but I’m worried about the noise and light issues.
2. Epson 3010; I like this one also, but am worried about the mounting and light issues.
3. JVC DLA-RS40; I like this one the most. I think I have found a great deal and it’s not a lot more expensive.
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Obviously the JVC is by far the best projector of those. That's like asking if a Porsche is better than a used Yugo.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokapeba View Post

I’m upgrading from a Panasonic AE900U. It’s ceiling mounted 14’ from my 110” screen that has a 1 gain. We watch a mix of movies and TV, in an almost total bat cave. 3D isn’t important. We bought a 3D TV for upstairs and have only watched 1 3D movie on it in the last year.
I’m interested in 3 projectors.
1. Panasonic PT AR100U; I like it, but I’m worried about the noise and light issues.
2. Epson 3010; I like this one also, but am worried about the mounting and light issues.
3. JVC DLA-RS40; I like this one the most. I think I have found a great deal and it’s not a lot more expensive.
Andy

I upgraded from the 900 to the AR100U - it's like night and day - literally. The 900 was much too dim even with a new bulb. You can tame most of the light output with eco mode and one of the low light modes like Rec 709. The fan noise is more noticeable than with the 900 but I don't find the AR100U objectionable with movies and I sit directly below the projector. As you may not know unlike other projectors in this class the AR100U has 5 cooling fans, not 1 or 2. I use the 100 primarily at night so it approximates a bat cave and I sometimes keep some dimmed indirect lighting on with no ill effect. It's got a bright punchy and colorful picture, much nicer than the 900. I also use a Darbee Darblet to increase the detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Obviously the JVC is by far the best projector of those. That's like asking if a Porsche is better than a used Yugo.

And while the AR100U is not a Porsche it most certainly isn't a used Yugo either. Funny.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page