Can someone explain to me why I cant use a 2.35:1 screen with this Epson projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rdeyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Im really confused. Im looking at these 2 projectors - Epson 8350 and the Epson 3020. Both say they can project 16:9 images. Originally I was going to get a 120" 16:9 screen, but because of my ceiling height and the fact that I have a 24" high AV cabinet on the floor, I cant do 120." I would have to do something like 110" or 106" In order for it to have enough space between the top of the wall and the AV cabinet. So I thought - why not just get a 2.35:1 screen and go with 125." Well I read on several sites that these cant natively project that image. It would be 16:9 projected image but you would have to zoom it in order for it to fill the screen, but then you would have black bars on the top and bottom on the outside of the screen. Is that true?

Can someone explain this?


Thanks! rolleyes.gif
rdeyoung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Duke Broadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it is cause the 8350 doesn't have an anamorphic lens.
Duke Broadway is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,577
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You pretty much already answered your own question, these are not native 2.35 projectors (no digital units exist that I am aware of) and as such they will have black bars (above and below) with 2.35 content (using zoom to fill the width of a 2.35 screen).

When projecting 1.78/16:9 content you'll have to shoot in the middle of a 2.35 screen (filling the height but not the width) and while you will not have 'projected' black bars you will have bars on the sides with a 2.35 screen.

Some projectors offer a psuedo squish/resize for 2.35 screens (where manual/electric zooming back and forth is not required) and some offer a stretch for use with an anamorphic lens.

Considering the so-so black level of both of those models I would not suggest a 2.35 screen without a lens, just my personal opinion. If your primary viewing is 2.35 fims then you may not mind manual zooming those models back and forth but nobody here can answer that one for you. wink.gif

Best of luck,
Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rdeyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys, that clears things up for me.
rdeyoung is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
greg1292's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

You pretty much already answered your own question, these are not native 2.35 projectors (no digital units exist that I am aware of) and as such they will have black bars (above and below) with 2.35 content (using zoom to fill the width of a 2.35 screen).
When projecting 1.78/16:9 content you'll have to shoot in the middle of a 2.35 screen (filling the height but not the width) and while you will not have 'projected' black bars you will have bars on the sides with a 2.35 screen.
Some projectors offer a psuedo squish/resize for 2.35 screens (where manual/electric zooming back and forth is not required) and some offer a stretch for use with an anamorphic lens.
Considering the so-so black level of both of those models I would not suggest a 2.35 screen without a lens, just my personal opinion. If your primary viewing is 2.35 fims then you may not mind manual zooming those models back and forth but nobody here can answer that one for you. wink.gif
Best of luck,
Jason
Jason what about running 1920X817 or the epson can't handle that resolution? Worked
with crt but have not tried it with digital!

FOR SALE/TRADE: Sony VPL-W200/ less than 220 hours on projector
comes with new spare bulb. $1800.00
greg1292 is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

Jason what about running 1920X817 or the epson can't handle that resolution? Worked
with crt but have not tried it with digital!

CRT has no native resolution, LCD does.

It won't work.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
JoeBoy73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeyoung View Post

Hey guys,
Im really confused. Im looking at these 2 projectors - Epson 8350 and the Epson 3020. Both say they can project 16:9 images. Originally I was going to get a 120" 16:9 screen, but because of my ceiling height and the fact that I have a 24" high AV cabinet on the floor, I cant do 120." I would have to do something like 110" or 106" In order for it to have enough space between the top of the wall and the AV cabinet. So I thought - why not just get a 2.35:1 screen and go with 125." Well I read on several sites that these cant natively project that image. It would be 16:9 projected image but you would have to zoom it in order for it to fill the screen, but then you would have black bars on the top and bottom on the outside of the screen. Is that true?
Can someone explain this?
Thanks! rolleyes.gif
You have one other option but it isn't cheap tongue.gif You can purchase a lumagen mini 3D...but it costs almost much as a PJ. But it will do the resizing for you.
Here's some more info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1304556/official-lumagen-radiancemini-3d-thread

Here's the lumagen in action...Aspect Ratio Management Videos (16:9-to-2:35) Videos:

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7nYe-YzM
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Stq_2lWYM
jjvsx53 likes this.
JoeBoy73 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Member
 
jjvsx53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SD. CA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Uber expensive. Lumagen it's better to upgrade to a better pj. I have the 8350. I love it to death for its 16:9 1080p. After learning all these 16:9 and 2:35:1 and 4k bluray master super bit xv color business I I will be upgrading my projector because after researching trial and error I found out I cannot project a 2:35:1 image. For now it's cool but when budget allows me then I'll be purchasing something that can do that and 2d to 3d. All this talk of 4k projectors the sony vw50 seems like a future purchase. But I would have to sell a lung off the black market to actually follow through ! Any takers I'm a non smoker hahaha!
jjvsx53 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Member
 
farhan_ds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^ The vw50 is not a 4k projector.. the vw500ES and the vw1000 is... you can thank me for saving your lung now smile.gif
farhan_ds is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Member
 
jjvsx53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SD. CA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Typo my mistake. Thanks for helping with that... yeah, the vw500ES has anyone seen this PJ in action?
jjvsx53 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Member
 
toddbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I get around this by using a media center pc.

I'm using MythTV on Linux (but it's available for other platforms)
It will allow you to rescale content to your hearts content
Including 4:3, 19:9, 16:10 2.35:1 etc, plus horiz. fill, vert fill both and so on.

price is right as well
toddbailey is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
RPS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post

I get around this by using a media center pc.

I'm using MythTV on Linux (but it's available for other platforms)
It will allow you to rescale content to your hearts content
Including 4:3, 19:9, 16:10 2.35:1 etc, plus horiz. fill, vert fill both and so on.

price is right as well

This doesn't change the projector's native resolution at all. Black bars are still there.
RPS13 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-28-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Verge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why are you guys bumping a year old thread lol. I bet the OP figured it out by now.
Verge2 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off