PC picture quality not as good as Blueray player quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I have the LG CF181D projector.

I have decided to use a PC to play movies versus a dedicated BlueRay player however the picture quality does not seem very good.

Is there an issue with playing content on a PJ via a PC ? My PJ is focused properly.

The picture quality seems to be not as good as (1) watching the same movie on the PC's 15" 1080p display or (2) watching the same movie on the PJ using a BlueRay player.

Please let me know if I am not in the correct forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Anthony:

There's a couple reasons for this. The primary one is that the 15-inch display is condensing the resolution of the BD to a MUCH smaller space, so it appears to be sharper. When you spread it out over a larger area, the image is naturally going to seem softer.

However, the LG is a very sharp and very bright projector so make sure the setup details on projector and BD player are correct. Go from the obvious (using HDMI cable to connect the two) to the not-so-obvious (ensuring that the BD is putting out a full 1080p resolution). Also, the LG has good but not outstanding black levels, so tweaking the brightness and contrast settings, along with the sharpness control, may get the image to more fully suit your taste.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 130
using a PC as a source for video is always a problem. Some video cards do strange things to the video source. I can not help you with how to fix it, it is just always problematic. A PC is not a BR player as you introduce the software player and video card in between the source and display. The smaller the the display the sharper the image appears.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
This is a little discouraging so far.

However, are you both saying that, with proper configuration a PC's image can match a BR player ? I mean with configuration can it be 100% as good or maybe better ?

Neither of you seem to be saying the PC image will never be as good right ?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post

This is a little discouraging so far.
However, are you both saying that, with proper configuration a PC's image can match a BR player ? I mean with configuration can it be 100% as good or maybe better ?
Neither of you seem to be saying the PC image will never be as good right ?
Its not that a PC with an internal BR player can't match a standalone player as it should be equal. The PC just has so many variables (Video card, Video card driver, CPU speed, operating system, BR drive, BR drivers, Software player, other software running in the background causing problem, and it goes on). For simplicity a stand alone is the easyest to get the best picture out of but there is no reason the PC can't match it. If your talking about any compressed files playing back they will never match a real BR/ or uncompressed ISO of a BR. The studios don't want you to play there material without all the added Junk and you can't get around it with a Standalone BR player where with a PC you are more in controll but it is a PITA to get to work and stay working.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #6 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
What about playing off a dune player or ripped iso to hd on oppo plaver vs standalone BR player viewing on a projector only? Ive asked this over in the media streamer section but everyone always says "looks the same to me" when most are using lcd tvs or whatever.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

What about playing off a dune player or ripped iso to hd on oppo plaver vs standalone BR player viewing on a projector only? Ive asked this over in the media streamer section but everyone always says "looks the same to me" when most are using lcd tvs or whatever.

A projector screen of 110" is four times the size of a 55" LCD and any loss in resolution will be noticeable. The average BR is about 40GB where most rips you download are about 18gb or less. Anything side by side is half the resoultion to begin with. Even VUDU 1080p streaming is still compressed and will never match a BR. Only full rip ISO of a BR can be comparable and not many if any players will play them.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #8 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've used a HTPC for almost 7 years and have found it to be an excellent source for a projector. With that said, it's a double edged sword. The advantage is you can control all of the components like video card, memory, etc. The bad news is you will be tweaking it a ton. It seemed I could never leave mine alone. A new holy grail video driver, more memory, faster processor, all for marginal gains. If this isn't your thing than it makes sense to look at other options. I like it because I have complete flexibility with my media. Play anything anywhere.

It would be a good idea to spend some time swimming in the HTPC forum. Warning, it's a deep pool so plan to be a little overwhelmed at first.

HTPC Forum
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page