Upgrading LEDs in projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody,

I am thinking about possibly upgrading the LEDs in my Acer K10 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and/or has tips and hints.
My biggest concern is heat dissipation of course, possibly I need to make a new enclosure, which I hope to avoid with a bigger/faster fan, but will keep an open mind on this.

The Acer K10 outputs 100 lumen by default. There are LEDs however that output 8000 lumen, although the result lumen is probably much lower. If I find out what lumen the LEDs in the Acer K10 produce originally, can I calculate the efficiency this way of the projector and see what LEDs I need to order and take account for?

My goal is to produce as much lumen as possibly, 500 lumen at least.

If I succeed I will write a tutorial, might be handy since the Acer K11 is still on sale and essentially the same as the K10.

Any help would be great,
Kajos

EDIT:
I see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSa4ql0rzHY a similar exhibition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You will have to change a lot of components. The bigger the LEDs the more voltage and or amps they draw. also the heat as you stated. Does the Acer use a single white LED or RGB. IF RGB the PT120 chipset is the biggest and the one used in all the high end projectors.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You are WASTING your time. let me save you a LOT of headaches. The LED in your projector is a single point tight beam producer
The 8000 Lumen ones you are talking about are many little LEDS on the same panel, Your colortemp will be ALL wrong and you will be frying the components outside the light pathway with the larger LED's. There are lots of DIY sites on the net relating to retrofitting projector lamps. Let me make this even simpler to understand. You are going to be replacing a tight narrow beam spot light with a flood light. You will get VERY little light through the optics and plenty of heat where the LED meets the optical channel. Here is a video that may help explain Light point of origin, Fast forward to about the 4 minute mark and it explains the part that concerns you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkCavwGgA&feature=plcp

Your welcome.

Bohanna
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Here are a few more examples of just how narrow projector lamp beam throw. There is a hot spot in the center and everything outside it is useless. A wide flood beam does EXACTLY the opposite. This is one of the reasons that you can use an LED or a 440 watt metal halide lamp with the single screen TFT Projectors because you need to cover a larger single screen, The trouble with this technology is you can't get any real brightness without having a washed out image.even if the TFT screen is a 1080 panel.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?348326-My-UHP-project-The-8%80-Short-Arc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEgUtt0GBy4

Bohanna
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page