Looking for some advice about a new projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I would very much appreciate some advice for a new projector. The projector I'm replacing is a Mitsubishi HC3000 (which doesn't work anymore, and it's too expensive to repair).

My opinion about this projector is a bit mixed. I liked it in bright daylight scenes, but in darker scenes I found that bright areas tend to glow or "bleed" quite a lot (I hope you understand what I mean), and I tend to get tired watching movies that are quite dark because of this. The picture seems a bit unstable/flickery in a way - I can also see rainbows, but I don't know if that's what causing me to dislike the image in dark scenes, as I'm not actually seeing the rainbows much unless I try to.

Could the negatives I described about the image still be due to the fact that it is DLP? Or is it just the general quality of the projector that could be better?

As a replacement for this projector I have been considering these projectors:

- BenQ W1200
- Epson TW-5910
- Optoma HD23
- The new BenQ W1070

I can unfortunately only watch the HD23 and BenQ W1200 in a store where I live (Denmark) - I haven't been able to find a shop where I can watch the other projectors in action.

The BenQ W1200 seems to be a nice projector based on reviews, but it doesn't have 3D and it's getting a little old? I don't know how much I'd like 3D as I haven't seen it, apart from in the cinemas - but I'm thinking it could be nice to have the option to try 3D at home at some point (I don't have a 3D capable blu-ray player right now).

The W1070 seems to be a really nice budget projector, but my concern about this one is that it needs to be pretty close to the screen - I have a 92" (diagonally) 16:9 screen, and the projector would be placed in front of my sitting area (and my ceiling is quite low) - so I'm worried if it will be annoying to have it placed like this because of noise. A plus for this one is also that the color wheel appear to be fast.

Then there is the Epson which is one of the cheaper LCD's I could find - how would this projector compare to some of the other options?

I hope someone can help me decide, or suggest other projectors I should consider.

Thanks in advance smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
The Epson 5910 would be a nice improvement, if it can be fit into your space limits with the lack of lens shift. If you can wait a bit, I'd see what the BenQ W1070 looks like after some more reviews/discussions are out, as it looks promising. If your having issues with dlp, you might consider a change to lcd?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply smile.gif I don't think the lack of lens shift is a big problem - my HC3000 doesn't have it either. I have a low ceiling and the top of the screen is relatively close to the vertical position of the projector.

The W1070 should be available here where I live in just a few days - but it may be a problem that I have to mount it so close to the screen - when do you think some major reviews will be out for the W1070?

I have actually never seen a LCD projector, and I don't know if the issues I've had with the HC3000 is because it's a DLP - it's not like I would say I'm bothered specifically by rainbows - my best way of describing the problem is that the image feels hard in dark scenes - where bright spots are sort of glowing - but perhaps it's still because it's DLP.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Some info is starting to show up, reviews should be showing up within a couple of weeks. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/420#post_22672338

You might want to find a way to see a nice lcd pj working to see if you like the look. Maybe someone on the forum lives near your area and can show you theirs, or visit some showrooms?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

I can only get to see the Panasonic PT-AE6000 (I think it's the same as US PT-AE8000) - which is too expensive for me frown.gif There are not many shops selling projectors here, it's primarily online shops. They do have a 14 days return policy though.

I just went to a shop today and I got to see the Optoma HD33 (I know I didn't list this originally, but I may up my budget a bit) - the picture was definitely better than my old HC3000 but in terms of rainbows it was probably about the same. It's not like I was much bothered by it, but I felt that the picture was not so natural with quite saturated colors - the guy in the the shop said that this specific movie was quite high contrast and saturation (the latest Batman), but I don't know.

As I mentioned I considered to up my budget, and I have also been looking at the Epson TW-6100 (equivalent to the US model TW-3020 isn't it?) - how do you think this one would compare with the HD33 or even the BenQ W7000 (I haven't seen this one but they have a refurbished one for sale with 700 hours in it for the same price as the HD33)?

I'm from Denmark so I don't think I will find someone that could show their projector on this forum at least biggrin.gif
Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

There's one other thing I'd like to add since this W7000 is only for sale tomorrow - do you think the colors are more natural on the W7000 compared with the HD33? I was told this in the shop, but they were not able to set it up for a demo session.