Looking for projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I am pre-wiring my first home theater and am considering a "short throw" style projector. My installer suggests this style.
My room is approx. 20' wide x 18' deep (start of living room behind theater room-no barrier) in basement. All equipment minus blu-ray and gaming consoles located in basement mechanical room.

I enjoy watching movies/netflix and the kiddo likes gaming.

Installer is looking at 120"-130" screen size.

Budget is kinda tight, would like to stay under $1500

Would like long lamp life/low cost of ownership

Best picture possible 3d would be nice

What will my pros-cons be?

We are ready to pull cable to projector location, and I need to make a decision on projector. I'm not a techie obviously, but heard that higher lumens are better?

Feel free to be specific on brands/models suggested to look for and also avoid.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help and support!confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinpoly View Post

Hello everyone, I am pre-wiring my first home theater and am considering a "short throw" style projector. My installer suggests this style.
My room is approx. 20' wide x 18' deep (start of living room behind theater room-no barrier) in basement. All equipment minus blu-ray and gaming consoles located in basement mechanical room.
I enjoy watching movies/netflix and the kiddo likes gaming.
Installer is looking at 120"-130" screen size.
Budget is kinda tight, would like to stay under $1500
Would like long lamp life/low cost of ownership
Best picture possible 3d would be nice
What will my pros-cons be?
We are ready to pull cable to projector location, and I need to make a decision on projector. I'm not a techie obviously, but heard that higher lumens are better?
Feel free to be specific on brands/models suggested to look for and also avoid.
Thanks everyone in advance for your help and support!confused.gif

You don't state the ceiling height, an important factor in any home theater installation.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Whoops ceiling is 7'6"
post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That ceiling is a bit low. I'd probably be looking in the 110" to 20" diagnonal range because of the ceiling. You don't need especially short throw unless there is a reason that your projector needs to be int he front of the room. I actually prefer to have my projector behind where I sit. You do need an off-set or lens shift that will let you work with your ceiling/screen height. Can you mount centered on the screen and very close to the ceiling?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, no problem mounting in center and as close to ceiling as the mount will allow. My installers' concern was that with the low ceiling and the open living room that starts right behind the theater area (no barrier) that there would be less chance of someone hitting projector somehow or blocking the projector when getting up during a movie. My total room size is 20'x 40'approx. .I am dedicating 18' +/- for the media room
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinpoly View Post

Yes, no problem mounting in center and as close to ceiling as the mount will allow. My installers' concern was that with the low ceiling and the open living room that starts right behind the theater area (no barrier) that there would be less chance of someone hitting projector somehow or blocking the projector when getting up during a movie. My total room size is 20'x 40'approx. .I am dedicating 18' +/- for the media room

You may want to take a few photos of your home theater area and upload them for everyone to see, good way to assess what the best solutions are. But as the last commenter said it's a low ceiling so you may want to look at projectors with lens shift. Do you have a preference for LCD versus DLP?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

After reading a couple articles, I'm guessing the DLP type would be more for me. I will post some pictures of basement soon. Am I on wrong track with short throw? We were thinking 14-16' screen to couch viewing distance. My room is pretty simple. Basically it's a large rectangle with a short hallway on one side of room almost right at the 14' viewing distance. Planning on 2 powered subs (one in each corner) on screen wall, two freestanding towers just right and left of screen, center channel under the screen, and in ceiling speakers for side and rear surround. The thought to this layout is to keep floor space clear and uncluttered at rear of theater area, since its ajoined with our basement living room area directly behind.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

The blue tape on back wall is basic plan for screen location and size. You'll notice holes in ceiling for the zoned recessed lighting. Please keep the questions and advice coming. I need to narrow down a decision on projector style/type or even specific model so this prewire and electrical can finally be completed for the awaiting drywall man.

Thanks everyone for your continued support!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions??
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page